TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

Super Bowl XLI

Hey naif, there were some pretty good qbs around before 1980.

That guy Unitas couldn't hold Manning's jock.

And Sammy Baugh wishes he was Tom Brady.

Hey naif, there were some pretty good qbs around before 1980.

That guy Unitas couldn't hold Manning's jock.

And Sammy Baugh wishes he was Tom Brady.

The Ice Bowl and Bart Starr weren't shit, these guys played without sleeves in the rain.

Guest Smues
Just stop, naif. The Bears D forced a bunch of turnovers & very few big plays. Grossman played like he wanted to make a new Larry Brown for Al Davis to sign & that's the single biggest reason why the Bears lost. The D wasn't exposed, or anything close to it. Yeesh.

So allowing 29 points (22 if I feel like being generous), 8 of 18 4th down conversions, 191 yards rushing (4.5 YPC), 438 yards total and 38:04 TOP qualifies as a good game now? For the second coming of the 1985 Bears 'D' they didn't get shit done in "Bears weather" with an 8 point lead. The Colts could easily have put up 40+ if not for some early nerves.

What do you mean 22 if you feel generous? 22 plain and simple, since the defense had nothing to do with the interception run back.

Never saw those guys since I'm not in my 60s, so how am I going to rate them? The QB position was a completely different animal back then.

Video was also around before 1980.

And very few of us probably remember Montana's heyday so we can either make our all-time lists date to about 1990...or we can study all the old film, read the old stories, study the old stats, listen to the people who saw them & played against them, etc.

Yeah, I only saw Montana win 3 of his 4 Super Bowls, all of Elway and Marino's heydays, and more than enough from the other guys (Brady, Favre, Peyton) listed. I'm not that concerned with coming up with a definitive list of QBs because I'm not that retentive. It's a meaningless list that I'm not being paid for and all 6 of those guys would be in anyone's top 10 so it's not like I'm trying to squeeze a Trent Dilfer in there.

Sean Salisbury is on SportsCenter pretending like he was behind the Colts all season

Does anybody like Sean Salisbury, like at all?

That's funny considering he had them losing to the CHIEFS in the first round. Anyway I am glad the Colts won this game, in fact I'm pretty much elated. Truth be told though this was one of the all time clunker Super Bowls, mainly I should think due to the rainy weather.

To be honest I thought the Bears' D played admirably considering the ludicrous amount of time they were on the field due to the Bears being almost entirely inept offensively. They had maybe 2 good plays the whole game (Hester's kickoff and Jones' nice run that set up the TD). This game seriously should have been a humiliating rout, something like 45-17 if the Bears don't make some stands and hold the Colts to FGs.

Of all the Colts I was probably proudest of Dominic Rhodes. I've given him all sorts of shit this season, but he was a man tonight in the biggest game of his career. It was maddening to see him have those great runs to get to the 10 yard line, only to have Manning screw up and throw 2 incompletes, then they go back to Rhodes on a 3rd and 10. He should have finished that drive from the get go. Personally I thought Rhodes was the MVP, but obviously they were giving it to Manning as long as he was upright.

Rex Grossman, of course, was horrible. Anyone with a brain knew that would happen. I wasn't counting on the bizarre fumbling and slipping and sliding all over the field, but I figured he would have that one historically awful INT that would bury the Bears in the 4th quarter. My dad and I agreed "If the Colts just get a lead here, Grossman will fold in the 2nd half." Not exactly surprising really. I wonder if the Bears will release him after that fiasco tonight? If Trent Dilfer can be released after playing well and winning a Super Bowl in a rout, I'd think Grossman could be cut after this outing.

Anyway, lousy game but certainly a great win for the Colts. Now win another 2 or 3, guys.

Guest Macula

lol at the morons trying to defend the Bears D. Just pathetic. They let two guys run all over them, and let PEYTON win the biggest game of his life. Grossman was pure shit, but so was the rest of the team, minus Hester. And WHO didn't see that coming? Anyone actually watch the NFL this year?

MVP choice was wrong, but, whatever.

CBS sucks.

Well, I'm not exactly defending the Bears' D, but I figured considering things they were admirable to keep this from not being a complete rout. Given the time of possession and yardage difference this should have been a mega asskicking. Instead it was a result similar to last year.

Can we just all admit that the real Super Bowl was 2 weeks ago? That was one of those transcendent games....this was the usual boring anticlimax.

Can we just all admit that the real Super Bowl was 2 weeks ago? That was one of those transcendent games....this was the usual boring anticlimax.

It reminds me when the Red Sox came back and beat the Yankees, that series WAS the World Series while the actual series against the cardinals was blah compared to the ALCS

I think it's actually slightly more comparable to the Cardinals/Mets series this past year, since the Cardinals remind me more of the Colts. Seemingly a team in disarray going into the playoffs, yet putting it together and winning it all. Rex Grossman = Detroit's pitching staff throwing the ball all over the field.

I guess I compare this to the Red Sox/Yankees because the Red Sox FINALLY beat the Yankees after years of disappointment similar to the Colts FINALLY beating the patriots then when it came time to win the super bowl, they just had all the momentum.

Guest Princess Leena

CBS' coverage was excellent.

Only times I bitched about it was the immediate "black coaches blah blah" from Nantz immediately after the Colts won. And not realizing Hester was upfield for that kickoff. Watch the field, guys.

Well it's hard to compare in some ways. I mean I can't really see a couple of playoff losses to the Pats being the same as about 85 years of futility for the Red Sox against the Yankees. The closest thing I can compare it to in football is the 49ers finally beating the Cowboys in the 1994 playoffs after having lost to them 2 previous times. It's a shame Manning didn't quite get that awe inspiring performance in the Super Bowl that Steve Young got, but then the Bears are certainly better than that crappy Chargers team that everyone knew would get squashed anyway (though to be fair, Stan Humphries fared better than Grossman did tonight).

I won't argue against Peyton getting the mvp. Sanders, Addai, or Rhodes could have also gotten it.

Peyton got a lifetime achievement Super Bowl MVP. It should have been a blowout. Anyways, the real MVP was Grossman, the true difference maker in the game.

Guest Princess Leena

I think the bigger difference maker was Lovie Smith.

Hey, stop dropping your entire defense back after Addai's 20th catch.

Why is everyone hating on Grossman? His picks were more out of desperation, and he was 20 of 28.

The real MVP of that game was the Colts offensive line. They made the Bears defensive front their bitch all game long.

The Bears front four got assraped in the Super Bowl and most of us watched. I stopped when I realized Florida State could beat Duke and the Bears obviously had zero gameplan that made any sense against the Colts.

I think the bigger difference maker was Lovie Smith.

Hey, stop dropping your entire defense back after Addai's 20th catch.

Why is everyone hating on Grossman? His picks were more out of desperation, and he was 20 of 28.

I definitely agree with you in regards to Lovie's very conservative defensive approach and worse, not adjusting at all.

In regards to Grossman, it could be his continous fumbling, sacking himself twice, or the fact that despite what the coaching staff said all post-season, they had NO confidence in his ability (and rightfully so) as judged by the play calling the first 3 periods. The Bears coaches should know him better than any analyst, and in the end, knew he would not be able to do anything this game from the get-go. He finished 20 of 28, but with most coming iun the 4th quarter when the Colts were playing prevent. And the two interceptions, esp. the first, were unforgivable.

And holy crap, Leena, your takes on the HOF candidates and English/Spanish speaking rants are dead on. Who Knew? :)

Guest Princess Leena

The first was the pick 6, right? I think that was a 3rd down... he had to try something. The other was a terrible throw that if he hits Berrian, they got 6. But, if you're relying on that to win in that rain... that's not good. Fumbles will happen in those conditions. Peyton made a bonehead play in the 1st half trying to hand off to Addai when he was smothered, too.

Rex isn't the reason the Bears lost...

The Colts were easily the better team on both sides of the ball, except for special teams.