TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
In Credible

Mushroomhead - Savior Sorrow

Today I was wondering if Mushroomhead had come out with their new album and sure enough it was released in September. I decided to pick it up and I'm digging it so far, Waylon is definately different than JMann, but in a good way. He can match the growling of Jmann and he can also sing pretty well.

Still early listening to it, but I like what I hear in songs like Simple Survival and Damage Done.

Anyone else check out this album?

Mushroomhead is one of my favorites, but Savior Sorrow was nowhere near as good as the previous 2 albums, Both of which were phenominal.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
I wish there was a CWDWAT for music. Why don't we start one up for stuff like this and Mik?

I think we should consolidate all of Mik's threads into "Mik's Piks," your one-stop shop for the latest minivan rock.

Hey the Bloc Party thread has 18 replies. That's worthy of a thread right there.

I listen to more than pop rock, Czech.

Why clog this thread up with whether this deserves a thread or not? Everyone knows that TSM posters throw away anything remotely consitered nu metal. Not that Mushroomhead is exclusively nu metal, but anyway . . .

I think the album is decent. The first thing I did was asess Waylon as a 2nd vocalist. I did like him at first. I liked how he harmonized with Nothing. It really brought a new and interesting demension into Mushroomhead after having listened only to 13. Then I decided to go back to XX. Now these songs blow anything on SS away. People would talk about JMann rapping and I wouldn't understand what they meant b/c he didn't do much of that on 13. But now I understand what Mushroomhead was before they were told by Universal to make a more mainstream metal album. Anyway, the first thing to notice is that Waylon doesn't rap. A lot of people were turned off by that alone and thought he sounded to whiney. The thing of it is though, is that after 13, Jmann wanted to do more hardcore than rapping anyway, so who knows what SS would have sounded like with JMann.

That said, nothing on SS has really stuck on me the way songs did on 13 and XX. I'm still listening to those two and have put SS away. I do like Waylon as the 2nd vocalist, but I guess I really miss the rapping.

I just dont think they had as many catchy lyrics as they did in the previous albums. A lot of the songs sound ok, but they just dont stand out and grab you like the other two. XX was a lot more in your face and heavy than the rest, and 13 had good production and seemed a lot more polished than their previous work. This seems to try to go back to XX a little more with a more gritty sound, but it also keeps some of the more melodic work seen in 13. I did like JMann's rapping, but I don't think that's the main thing that's missing. I think it's a combination of them being over ambitious for their band/label status.

They clearly didnt have the funds that they did with 13 and tossing in Waylon to prove himself to the masses just made the album fall flat. I do like how Waylon can mimmick Jmanns growling voice and can harmonize with Nothing, but I think the next album will be the real test for them. Considering JMann had been with them for at least 10 years prior, the band needs to find it's sound, this album is more of a sample of the range they can work with. Now they just need to focus it more.

Still most people would compare this band to Slipknot due to the look and all, but I think for the rivalry they are ahead. 2 Amazing albums and 1 solid one. Slipknot's first album was solid, their second was incredibly bad, and the third was great.

The song posted isn't one of their better songs but it wasn't ungodly terrible.

I begrudgingly saw them live once and I will admit that they do put on a good stage show. Very intense.

Still most people would compare this band to Slipknot due to the look and all, but I think for the rivalry they are ahead. 2 Amazing albums and 1 solid one. Slipknot's first album was solid, their second was incredibly bad, and the third was great.

<elitist prick>Pfft, you don't even know that their first LP was Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat.! M@LLF@G~!</elitist prick>

That said...s/t was "meh" outside of the first 4 songs ("(sic)," "Eyeless," "Wait and Bleed," "Surfacing," and "Spit it Out"), with the bonus track being the best song on the whole album. IOWA has been, so far, their best effort, since not only is every song tight and displays some actually decent songwriting ability (albeit the generic Hatebreed kind), but it's also pretty fucking heavy and shows that Mick, Jim, and Joey know how to play their instruments. Volume 3: The Subliminal Verses is one of the biggest piles of audible shit I've ever heard. Really...how is it their best? By having annoying tracks where Corey's voice doesn't fit the music at all, or by having overly radio-friendly guitar riffs (the one thing I actually RESPECTED about Slipknot was that their riffs usually weren't too radio-friendly and sounded like they'd be breakdowns in death metal albums more often than not, but that was gone for v3), or maybe by appealing to a whole new batch of mallcore-listening fucks known not as mallgoths but rather emokids? That album solidified my hatred for Slipknot.

And I heard the single off the new Mushroomhead, and it blows ass. XX was good with its blend of thrash, industrial, and psychadelia, but XIII was "meh" at best. Replacing JMann with this new dude wasn't even what made it bad: the music itself was boring and uninteresting.

<elitist prick>Pfft, you don't even know that their first LP was Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat.! M@LLF@G~!</elitist prick>

Yeah actually I did know that, but I was talking about major releases that most people would know about otherwise I would also mention Mushroomhead's "Mushroomhead" "Superbuick" and "M3".

You just sound like a person that hates a band when they earn mainstream appeal, as if you found the band and now they sold out because other people actually know about them. Then you have to move on to another band most people haven't heard of and since you have such an ear for music you found them before everyone else and the cycle repeats.

Yeah actually I did know that, but I was talking about major releases that most people would know about otherwise I would also mention Mushroomhead's "Mushroomhead" "Superbuick" and "M3".

You just sound like a person that hates a band when they earn mainstream appeal, as if you found the band and now they sold out because other people actually know about them. Then you have to move on to another band most people haven't heard of and since you have such an ear for music you found them before everyone else and the cycle repeats.

Have read the TSM top albums of 2006?

Have read the TSM top albums of 2006?

Or any of my other posts in the Music folder? Ever? I'm a fucking opinionated prick, ESPECIALLY when it comes to heavy music. In terms of fans of heavy music, the most elitist/opinionated is Tack, then myself, and...yeah. Not even worth going into that whole board dynamic. So I'll just take that last paragraph, your "lambasting" of me, and dissect it to give you some info on the good ol' L-A-Z so you realize I'm not just some D&D playin' middle-aged fuck who works at EB Games and hates all new (nu-?) "metal."

You just sound like a person that hates a band when they earn mainstream appeal,
Only if it's undeserved, or if the band changed their sound in order to garner mainstream appeal.

as if you found the band and now they sold out because other people actually know about them.

Alright, I hate this fucking argument. Are there people really so pathetic and egotistical that they'll stop liking a band, even if the quality of the music hasn't changed, simply because that band now has a fanbase? Likely so, but they're few and far between, and I doubt most of them would even know who half of the "underground" bands garnering a following even are.

Then you have to move on to another band most people haven't heard of and since you have such an ear for music you found them before everyone else and the cycle repeats.

Little pointers: the only band I'm a decent-sized fan of that went from "unknown" to "mainstream" while I've been a fan of theirs has been Shadows Fall. I like their debut album Somber Eyes, though I feel the production of it and Phil's vocals are a little weaker than they should be; their Century Media debut, Of One Blood, is a favorite of mine, and Brian's voice really adds some energy whereas Phil's just didn't gel well with the music, at least to the degree that Brian's does; Art of Balance has a few decent tracks, but is what I like to refer to as their "sell out" album because the music was simpler, weaker, and more commercially acceptable, and it also happened to contain the two tracks that had music videos play on MTV2 in decent rotation; War Within has turned out to be what I feel is their tightest album, and is also what most Shadows Fall fans call their "sell out" album (though this is mainly due to the singles taken from it), even though the songs sound like a blend of Balance's simplicity and production and Blood's almost Gothenburg/old In Flames aura; Fallout From the War is just "meh" with some generic pseudo-trash tunes that really don't even need to be heard, be you hardcore Shadows Fall fan or not.

So...how does this make me one of those assholes that doesn't like a band when they go mainstream? Because I don't like Slipknot and know that they had an album out before Ross Robinson made them rip off Mushroomhead and play a generic Fear Factory/Sepultura-lite style filled with even more nonsensical, meaningless lyrics than your average KoRn album, and more F-bombs (the ultimate sign of a lyricist's lack of overall talent, IMO) than a rap record? Ooooh, wow, you dress in stupid fucking costumes and yell "FUCK IT ALL, FUCK THIS WORLD"! I should respect a band that requires three drummers (one good one, and two pieces of shit) to do the work that one good drummer should be able to do? Yeah, fuck that, and fuck you for immediately assuming I'm just a know-nothing prick because I don't like Slipknot or Mushroomhead's new album. Fuck YOU, because all you've proven thus far is that you're nothing but a fucking mallcore-listening true blue poseur. Go listen to some fucking Cro-Mags and DRI and then come talk to me.

First let's look at what you wrote because I said Slipknot's first album was solid, 2nd was terrible, and third was great. (note: I am stating my opinion)

That said...s/t was "meh" outside of the first 4 songs ("(sic)," "Eyeless," "Wait and Bleed," "Surfacing," and "Spit it Out"), with the bonus track being the best song on the whole album. IOWA has been, so far, their best effort, since not only is every song tight and displays some actually decent songwriting ability (albeit the generic Hatebreed kind), but it's also pretty fucking heavy and shows that Mick, Jim, and Joey know how to play their instruments. Volume 3: The Subliminal Verses is one of the biggest piles of audible shit I've ever heard. Really...how is it their best? By having annoying tracks where Corey's voice doesn't fit the music at all, or by having overly radio-friendly guitar riffs (the one thing I actually RESPECTED about Slipknot was that their riffs usually weren't too radio-friendly and sounded like they'd be breakdowns in death metal albums more often than not, but that was gone for v3), or maybe by appealing to a whole new batch of mallcore-listening fucks known not as mallgoths but rather emokids? That album solidified my hatred for Slipknot.

And I heard the single off the new Mushroomhead, and it blows ass. XX was good with its blend of thrash, industrial, and psychadelia, but XIII was "meh" at best. Replacing JMann with this new dude wasn't even what made it bad: the music itself was boring and uninteresting.

So after your long winded rant about my opinion I stated.

You just sound like a person that hates a band when they earn mainstream appeal

Notice I said "sound like" I didn't say "you are". I stated an opinion of what impression I got from you from your previous statements, I didn't make an assumption. Then you posted....

So...how does this make me one of those assholes that doesn't like a band when they go mainstream? Because I don't like Slipknot and know that they had an album out before Ross Robinson made them rip off Mushroomhead and play a generic Fear Factory/Sepultura-lite style filled with even more nonsensical, meaningless lyrics than your average KoRn album, and more F-bombs (the ultimate sign of a lyricist's lack of overall talent, IMO) than a rap record? Ooooh, wow, you dress in stupid fucking costumes and yell "FUCK IT ALL, FUCK THIS WORLD"! I should respect a band that requires three drummers (one good one, and two pieces of shit) to do the work that one good drummer should be able to do? Yeah, fuck that, and fuck you for immediately assuming I'm just a know-nothing prick because I don't like Slipknot or Mushroomhead's new album. Fuck YOU, because all you've proven thus far is that you're nothing but a fucking mallcore-listening true blue poseur. Go listen to some fucking Cro-Mags and DRI and then come talk to me.

So you start putting words in my mouth saying that the reason I only said that was because you don't like certain bands. I could careless who you like, but when you assume I am a certain type of person (what the fuck is a MallFag?) because I have a different opinion of some albums than you.

One thing I don't understand is why everyone that is big into music, especially rock, feels the need to categorize every little fucking difference in bands and fans? There's like 2,000 names for certain types of rock and the people that listen to them.

I come on here to state my opinion on something and you not only rip into me based on assumptions, you put words in my mouth and accuse me of what you just did.

Looks like you're the F@G.

So you start putting words in my mouth saying that the reason I only said that was because you don't like certain bands. I could careless who you like, but when you assume I am a certain type of person (what the fuck is a MallFag?) because I have a different opinion of some albums than you.

It's not so much because you have a different opinion, it's more or less because you come onto this board - populated by elitist fans of pop, metal, and hip hop - and then try to start a serious topic about a band that most of us here feel have either sold out or were never that good to begin with. You don't see Limp Bizkit threads abound, do you? They're on the same tier as Mushroomhead...only Wes Borland and John Otto are better musicians than anybody in Mushroomhead. And "mallfag" is a term used for two kinds of people: fans of "mallcore" (very similar to "fashioncore," the term comes to describe the bands most often associated with the mall-ratting vermin that stick around Hot Topic and the food court, wearing neon green bracelets with their black bondage pants that are three sizes too big (or too tight, should they be fat), and is almost always a bastardized version of real metal/punk/hardcore), and those who just stick around the mall all day. I referred to you, jokingly might I add (though I'm not so sure now), as the first definition.

One thing I don't understand is why everyone that is big into music, especially rock, feels the need to categorize every little fucking difference in bands and fans? There's like 2,000 names for certain types of rock and the people that listen to them.
You're right. Let's stop categorizing all forms of rock. Well, then, we have to stop categorizing all forms of music. And all forms of sounds. And then all forms of senses. Hell, why not just stop categorizing all forms of fish? Whale sharks, anglers, shellfish...they're all the same, right?! Nope...and that's why we have so many different terms for different styles of music: because they're DIFFERENT and we need words to DESCRIBE THEM.

I come on here to state my opinion on something and you not only rip into me based on assumptions, you put words in my mouth and accuse me of what you just did.

Welcome to TSM.

Looks like you're the F@G.

Hahahaha...used a joke I made against me...hurrah!

It's not so much because you have a different opinion, it's more or less because you come onto this board - populated by elitist fans of pop, metal, and hip hop - and then try to start a serious topic about a band that most of us here feel have either sold out or were never that good to begin with. You don't see Limp Bizkit threads abound, do you? They're on the same tier as Mushroomhead...only Wes Borland and John Otto are better musicians than anybody in Mushroomhead.

Dude, the only reason I posted the topic was because when I searched "Mushroomhead" the posts were mostly positive, try it.

And "mallfag" is a term used for two kinds of people: fans of "mallcore" (very similar to "fashioncore," the term comes to describe the bands most often associated with the mall-ratting vermin that stick around Hot Topic and the food court, wearing neon green bracelets with their black bondage pants that are three sizes too big (or too tight, should they be fat), and is almost always a bastardized version of real metal/punk/hardcore), and those who just stick around the mall all day. I referred to you, jokingly might I add (though I'm not so sure now), as the first definition.

mallrats5b15dlk2.jpg

I wish there was a CWDWAT for music.

We had the Iron Maiden thread which became the de facto Metal CWDWAT, which was good because I doubt the plurality who post in the original CWDWAT want to see posts about indie rock and Tom Waits interrupted by discussion of the latest Mastodon or Blind Guardian

That and the whole CWDWAT concept is a farce

Based on what Lazarus said, I think Mushroomhead is good. I base this solely on the quality of the music and not the musicians. This begs the question: can music sound good without the musicians being that good at whatever instrument is being played? I don't have a favorite guitarist. If I hear music I like, I listen. And if the overwhelming opinion of a band I like is full of bad musicians, it won't make me not listen to that band -- if I like the music.

Who cares if the musicians suck?

@ Lazarus: I doubt very much you actually believe Otto and Borland are better than anyone in Mushroomhead. I think you just said that to make a point.

@ Lazarus: I doubt very much you actually believe Otto and Borland are better than anyone in Mushroomhead. I think you just said that to make a point.

Welcome to TSM.