TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Decemberists

WON News + Notes, 29th January Issue

Last year Meltzer was flat out 100% SURE that Rey was winning the Rumble but had no chance in hell of going to WM. That he was jobbing to Orton and would be screwed.

I thought that was the plan until Orton ended up getting suspended.

wow this issue came out pretty early

thanks for posting

- I dont watch raw ppvs so i dunno what vince's problem is about nyr, i thought that was the A show, no matter what. He tells what we're supposed to like and then gives it to us.

- I think it was around wm 2000 that they had this huge percentage of guys that were going to be in their 1st wrestlemania (and in real matches not just thrown in a battle royal.) The company was very fresh with guys in their early to mid 20s, guys my age or a little bit older.

Suddenly they turn into wcw jurassic park all over again with ALL the top matches with guys into their 40s or older.

I've yet to see wm 19, which did a horrible buyrate, because of the push of vince vs hogan (which i wouldve cared about in 1999 not 2003) and then they have the audacity to put only them on the cover of the dvd, despite having 3 other main events.

Pure crap.

- And vince's answer to "who else can i make money with hogan" is his 40 year old son? Someone who i cant stand to see on tv since the incident involving a battery attached to his balls.

Vince still thinks Reagan is president.

UT/Dave is fine but theyll do it 3 more times on smackdown ppvs later on, so the streak vs title thing is a one time thing, but i see them wrestling many times after that.

Cena and rko: Vince definitely thinks its the 80s if he keeps pushing the "cena overcoming insurmountable odds" formula. i mean they already had him face a d-list celeb and put a movie out for him, and still nobody (outside of wrestling) knows who he is.

I would think shawn would pull out and say booker's not in his league; plus it sounds like a waste for the Trump deal, but i dont think anyone cares or will remember that anyway. Maybe they could second a womens match instead. Will Rosie get her win back?

If Booker was the champ they could have shawn win the rumble and challenge him and it wouldnt jeopardize the UT match. but somehow theyll have us believe he'll start a feud with booker for a strange reason, and since hes already squashed edge and orton then they deserve a title shot? Heels almost never win the rumble so they may have one or 2 win this year.

Its funny about the story meltz was wrong about, (in rey not going to wm), cause i didnt think they could book rey any weaker going into wm and after, but the original plan was to actually gonna bury him worse then they did? thats great.

Tna cant offer more money than wwe and they still have people wanting to leave and they think that's not a problem?

Remember when it was the other way around 8 years ago when wwf offered much less than wcw because they couldnt compete back then, but you always had the opportunity to make more cause you were given a chance to be used better? You wouldnt think the product would suck so much thay theyre offering money for people to stay, even if theyre miserable or getting buried, just so tna cant have them.

There were all these stories about them (TNA) not having money to pay trans for the lower card guys and they were having to take up collections just to have one guy get a plane ticket to the show. thank god nash is still one of their highest paid guys.

I think heyman said (before they destroyed him) that they arent on par with wwe, even when wwe sucks, because its still the place to go to make a careeer out of it, as tna is still essentially a part-time company.

- Lashley selling too much for a champ? There's no way I can imagine Vince putting the other titles on Lashley so I dont believe he puts the Ecw title on par with them. Didnt Lashley win the title at the ppv without ever even wrestling on ecw tv? That would never happen on Raw or Smackdown. Pathetic.

- Punk has said he hated Russo's booking when he was there so he'd probably choose the offer that paid more if he was going to be misused in either company.

I never heard of the tna offer, i figured he jus signed with wwe cause he was tired of the indy scene. but 2005 was a pretty horrible year for talent and 2006 may have been worse. i enjoyed his stuff in ovw but that was when heyman was booking.

i dont know the history of agents in wrestling but i always assumed it was this position created because they dont get health benefits so old wrestlers have gotten by on what they made from the 70s. i have respect for them all, but it sounds like all they do is bash guys that will or already have bad reps, but you never hear anything about the guys that cant work and were just hired for their bodies. So it sounds like theyre jus 'yes men' who are protecting their jobs instead of honestly critiquing the product. (And under their criteria i dont think anyone that looks like them or wrestles like them are even getting hired anymore by wwe.)

There was a funny Foley promo on the last Steamboat appearance in ROH, that he was going to be an agent, and help Heidenreich, Snitsky and Luther Reigns become great workers for the future. LOL

- The line about no one in ecw not knowing how to work is great. They're just following the example of the 3 champions.

The problem with WWE and Vince Mcmahon that hurts Meltzer's credibility sometimes, is that there is very rarely ever any rhyme or reason for the decisions made. Booking plans change on a moment to moment basis. Fuck, Vince could wake up tomorrow and decide he wants Finlay to win the Royal Rumble for all we know.

That's a large part of the problem. People confuse Meltzer being wrong with plans changing after the fact.

Last year Meltzer was flat out 100% SURE that Rey was winning the Rumble but had no chance in hell of going to WM. That he was jobbing to Orton and would be screwed.

I'm still amazed at that HBK/Booker idea. WTF? Unless Booker eliminates Shawn from the Rumble I see no issue here, and frankly the whole "So and so tosses HBK from the Rumble" schtick to cause a WM feud is getting tired. Jericho did it in 2003, Angle in 2005, Vince was sorta responsible last year.

I guess they might be saving Cena/HBK for later on, but once HHH gets back I think he'll just take that spot right back from Michaels.

To be fair, the Jericho/Michaels issue started well before the Rumble match.

Vince has said he never wants the ECW TV to go out live again so they can try and edit together a decent show.

Sabu and Sandman are endangered species. Sabu doesn't like working when he can't do stunts and they've decided to not put him on the road anymore, and Sandman, although he's popular and still getting pushed right now, can't really do anything without his weapons.

The company is going all out to sign up RVD. Not because they want to keep him particuarly, but just to stop him going to TNA. RVD though gives the impression that he's as good as gone. Before the 1/16 show Vince and John Laurinaitis made a big speach about Sylvan being arrest for speeding as he was trying to get back from the gym to a show and as a result of that the boys are no longer allowed to go to the gym after checking in at the building. RVD then said, in front of Vince and in a very mocking tone "Johnny, can we go to the gym before we come to building?" He sounded like a little boy who's at his last day at a school so knows he can say what he wants to his teachers.

CM Punk's push is now completely dead. Almost nobody backstage likes him as they feel he's got an attitude that only the top guys should have. If he was a "top guy" like Kevin Nash people would think his comments were funny and cool, but as he's not a main eventer he's got an attitude problem. He won't be cut however as there is concern that he could become a star in TNA.

It has been confirmed that it is Shantelle Taylor in the Sensay suit.

There are plans to bring in mini's dressed as Vince and Donald Trump.

Wow. That's sad they can't put together a good show.

Why don't they let them do what got them a following?

I want RVD to wild the fuck out on Live TV some way so they fire him and he can go to TNA.

Why the fuck did they waste Punk's time if they are just going to kill his push and bury him?

What's the Sensay suit?

<sarcasm> Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy... More mini's! </sarcasm>

And thanks for posting these, Decemberists.

Shantelle is essentially wrestling under a mask and in a body suit as a man. No one is suppose to know it's a girl.

Ah. Thanks for explaining.

Yeah I think the Jericho/Michaels stuff started a bit earlier. Regardless, isn't HBK/Booker a bizarre and out of nowhere idea that hasn't even been suggested on TV? It's not like Booker has anything going right now at all, and frankly has no heat left after they buried him in the Batista feud.

Yeah I think the Jericho/Michaels stuff started a bit earlier. Regardless, isn't HBK/Booker a bizarre and out of nowhere idea that hasn't even been suggested on TV? It's not like Booker has anything going right now at all, and frankly has no heat left after they buried him in the Batista feud.

HBK does have that whole thing with Vince that they'll easily revive and Booker fits with McMahon. Quite frankly, I'm disapointed they didn't just keep Hogan/Shane involved with Trump and Vince. Just keep the two horrible ideas fused together but now they are seperated. I would actually think Hogan Vs Booker does more and just have Shawn Vs Shane in another garbage match. Shawn's wasted in that spot, though. Had HHH not gotten injured, Shawn would have well suited for that McMahon/Trump angle being the #3 face. Instead, we'll get a triple threat where Edge/Cena, while it has been a pretty good program that worked, it's just burned out right now and Orton doesn't add anything. Involving Shawn in that match as a Four Way Dance does a little more in the favor of pushing towards a Shawn/Cena program after the fact. Possibly having Edge sneak away with the title and have Shawn do a chase to win the title on the next Raw PPV.

Alot of options really to go with for Shawn while involved in the title program but instead gets slotted in a bad spot although a match with Booker wouldn't be the worst thing, it's just not the right timing.

Either way they pretty much HAVE to have UT beat Batista. If they go with Cena retaining in the 2nd to last match on the card, then they have to go with UT for the big title change to end the show. If they go with one of Team Sausage winning the title from Cena, then they have to go with UT over Batista for that big face win at the end of the show.

Seriously, they need to add some sort of crazy tag team ladder match or a MITB to this PPV. It needs something to carry it in the undercard. Maybe do the TLC tag match and make the MITB a simple elimination bout.

Either way they pretty much HAVE to have UT beat Batista. If they go with Cena retaining in the 2nd to last match on the card, then they have to go with UT for the big title change to end the show. If they go with one of Team Sausage winning the title from Cena, then they have to go with UT over Batista for that big face win at the end of the show.

Seriously, they need to add some sort of crazy tag team ladder match or a MITB to this PPV. It needs something to carry it in the undercard. Maybe do the TLC tag match and make the MITB a simple elimination bout.

TLC 4 way seems to be a lock given as I don't expect the MnM/Hardyz issue to actually be settled tonight. Inserted WGTT and Kendrick/London won't take much. All you'd need to do is put the titles off RRKO and get them on WGTT. I explained a couple weeks ago how the MITB isn't needed anymore since the past two winners used them in the two best ways possible. The purpose of the MITB was to just have a spot fest and a purpose for it. The TLC 4 way gives you that. UT/Batista is really the only deadlocked match right now especially as the main event as I still expect the rest of that card to shift. Personally, I don't like the idea of UT getting another reign but I hate the idea of a streak ending with Batista.

Team Sausage? That's pretty weak. RRKO is more then enough.

I explained a couple weeks ago how the MITB isn't needed anymore since the past two winners used them in the two best ways possible.

Here's one that hasn't been done yet: The guy who gets the contract uses it later that night during the main event.

I explained a couple weeks ago how the MITB isn't needed anymore since the past two winners used them in the two best ways possible.

Here's one that hasn't been done yet: The guy who gets the contract uses it later that night during the main event.

Imagine if Orton won the title in the ME, and then Kennedy comes out to cash in after winning MITB earlier in the night and wins the title. I'd mark the fuck out.

Imagine if Orton won the title in the ME, and then Kennedy comes out to cash in after winning MITB earlier in the night and wins the title. I'd mark the fuck out.

You'd have two titles changes within minutes both involving heels? The fans would love that.

You'd have two titles changes within minutes both involving heels? The fans would love that.

Kennedy would semi-turn I guess.

Someone not scheduled in the main event winning the title at Wrestlemania at the end of the night? I don't think this PPV needs more Wrestlemania 9 comparisons.

Since it looks like Sandman & Sabu or as good as gone soon, then my only hope is that RVD has saved enough money through his WWE years that when it comes time to either leave or re-up, money won't have to be the #1 consideration. RVD is basically a lameduck. Everything that can be said about his situation has been discussed. We all know the writing on the wall with him. Either he leaves and goes to TNA for a fresh start, or he re-ups and maybe gets a quasi-push out of appreciation and then once again gets de-pushed and used as a job-toy everything Stephanie thinks she has found the "next big extremist" It's RVD's decision in the end, but BAH GAWD, I hope he gets the fuck out of dodge, because as a fan of his, I am so fucking tired of seeing him wasted.

I'd be highly disappointed in RVD if he did in fact sign a new deal. To do what exactly? Stay on an ECW show that will be toast by 2008? Go back to Raw and get an IC title run at best?

RE: Shantelle Taylor

I really think this could be a tremendous angle. The masked character could keep beating people in competitive matches, is mysterious (ie not giving backstage interviews). She eventually wins the Cruiserweight Title, and at that point unmasks. She's over as a good wrestler and character, and it's not the stupid fluke woman victory. Because she's earned, it's not the dump on the belt Madusa or Jackie winning it was. Plus, an angle like this would be really really positive PR.

RE: Shantelle Taylor

I really think this could be a tremendous angle. The masked character could keep beating people in competitive matches, is mysterious (ie not giving backstage interviews). She eventually wins the Cruiserweight Title, and at that point unmasks. She's over as a good wrestler and character, and it's not the stupid fluke woman victory. Because she's earned, it's not the dump on the belt Madusa or Jackie winning it was. Plus, an angle like this would be really really positive PR.

She'd have to be retarded good by women's workrate standards for this to work.

Thanks for posting these as always.

If WWE really wants to keep RVD it will be interesting to see what it nuts up with in terms of negotiations. Of course the bucks first of all, then RVD winning the title at WM 23, and inducting The Sheik into the HOF and having RVD and Sabu induct him would all be things that could be used to persuade him. If they hold any hope for the brand they have got to do what it takes to keep him. ONS is already shaping up to be a "can't miss" trainwreck can you imagine if RVD is not there?

I would wager that a good portion of the audience that watches ECW also watches TNA. If RVD, Sabu and Sandman show up in TNA combined with Angle, Christian, Sting and maybe Jericho and Lita I think TNA could have a real shot at overtaking ECW by the Fall. An ECW whose top stars consist of Hardcore Holly, Lashley, Test, Marquis Cor Van and Snitsky...

This is actually the best suggestion I've seen in quite sometime; it promotes a mid-carder instantly, and sets up two feuds already for that guy: one with the guy he just took it off of, and the second with the former champ (Cena/Bats). As long as that guy's not Hogan...or Khali, this is a cool idea. Kennedy would make this work, after tonight's performance. The definetly need something to spice up this WM with no real well developed heels/feuds (other than the overdone edge vs. Cena)

Christ, I lost all hope in Wrestlemania this year.

I'm starting to think this with these horrible plans and I'm a guy who usually tries to see "wwe logic". I mean I was the guy backing Cena as champion last year and WINNING against HHH against the logic of everyone wanting Cena to drop due to his mixed reactions. I saw how they could see Cena's heat as a positive. I got heat on here for backing Cena and the wwe's plans.

HBK/Booker. Ugh! Not a knock on the workers, but if they are planning this where is the heat? They can't pull HBK/Angle here imo. Then adding the Trump nonsense to this? You know what they could have done for this to be actually a draw? Keep the title on Booker instead of getting him buried by Batista losing all his damn heat he gained last year as champion. He was the damn champion of champions for crying out loud.

UT/Batista was a good idea on paper, but change gears. Batista just sucks now. Give Edge the spot somehow. They love to make up convoluted scenarios might as well give UT a good worker and top heel who could actually work. At this rate UT losing his streak will completely backfire unless they turn Batista heel, but then............................

They give us Orton/Edge/Cena. I don't like this idea for numerous reasons. It's a No Way Out main event imo. If Cena wins big deal. If he loses big deal because it's a triple threat. Just give us a good title match for goodness sakes. Edge is going to have to work a miracle here. Rey/Angle/Orton was just decent LAST YEAR and that was with REY AND ANGLE in the match. I might have been more towards the match if they had taken out Shawn Michaels on RAW making them super bad-ass heels ganging up on the champion, but if Shawn can handle the champs Cena sure as hell can.

Hogan/Shane? They might as well use the Trump storyline here imo. It would give a little reason for why Shane would want to fight Hogan 4 YEARS AFTER the fact during the post Mania 19 staredown with Hogan.

Honestly, even I can't see good reasoning for this card on paper.

Okay, far-fetched, let's say Vince is set on Cena keeping the title, and having that as the last match (since it's the title of the more prestigious show/Cena is the biggest star promoted by WWE).. How about having Orton win a MITB, then having Taker win the title from Batista (who has no reaction from a crowd, and thus, I can't imagine stopping the streak), then have Orton run-in and win the title from him. Establishes Orton as a Uber-heel, which of course the WWE needs currently, and actually has continuity from the previous Orton-Undertaker WM storyline.

Yeah, far-fetched, but trying to think of ways to make this upcoming WM more interesting.

Two reasons. One, having a guy run in and win the title to end Wrestlemania would piss off the fans. I don't think a repeat of Wrestlemania IX is a good thing. Second, a guy who fought a six man ladder match earlier in the evening should not have an advantage.

This is actually the best suggestion I've seen in quite sometime; it promotes a mid-carder instantly, and sets up two feuds already for that guy: one with the guy he just took it off of, and the second with the former champ (Cena/Bats). As long as that guy's not Hogan...or Khali, this is a cool idea. Kennedy would make this work, after tonight's performance. The definetly need something to spice up this WM with no real well developed heels/feuds (other than the overdone edge vs. Cena)

Am I the only one that would mark the fuck out if Matt Hardy won MITB and then cashed it later that night against new WWE Champion Edge?

Guest poilbrun
I'd be highly disappointed in RVD if he did in fact sign a new deal. To do what exactly? Stay on an ECW show that will be toast by 2008? Go back to Raw and get an IC title run at best?

I agree with you here, but what's the alternative? Going to TNA and do what exactly? Who do they move out of the world title race to give a place to RVD? Go play for the X Division title? Even less interesting than the RAW IC title. The tag team title? In my opinion, he'd be better off negotiating a better push in WWE (out of ECW probably) than going to TNA...

It would be fun to see if RVD and Sabu still have it in them, though. Heck, they could work for WSX season two! :P

If Rob would believe one thing the E tells him about a push now after constantly denying him push after push, then he's an idiot. Rob's best bet if he really does care about how he performs is get out of the E as fast as his legs can carry him. He could still light it up for ROH or TNA without a problem. For him to buy into a deal that includes a push would be beyond foolish when they have a habit of making a title push feel so horribly generic.

Rob really is coming off like a guy who has had enough with all of it. I really wouldn't be surprised if he pulled a Trish and Jericho and just quit wrestling all together.

So yeah I didn't see the Rumble, but according to Meltzer's live match coverage, it looks like Test got the burial treatment, and keep in mind this comes a week after he did a clean job to Lashley on ECW. So does this mean the writers have given up on Test?

Two reasons. One, having a guy run in and win the title to end Wrestlemania would piss off the fans. I don't think a repeat of Wrestlemania IX is a good thing. Second, a guy who fought a six man ladder match earlier in the evening should not have an advantage.

If it's a fan favorite who is way over and who the crowd isn't sick of (The crowd was tired of Hogan at that point) then I can see it working. Someone like Punk or Kennedy can make it really interesting. A guy who was in a six man ladder match about 2 hours beforehand would have more of an advantage than a guy who is just seconds removed from a grueling 20 minute title match.