TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JN News

If WCW bought the WWF in 1996......

Let's say the senario is this. After WCW Monday Nitro gained so much success in the ratings war, WCW was finally able to drive the WWF out of business. Ted Turner was able to aquire all the talent in the WWF Roster, including the likes of Bret Hart, Owen Hart, British Bulldog, Jim Neidhart, all five members of The Klique, just to name a few. The flagbearer of the fallen WWF was Bret Hart, as he was the WWF Champion. Bret WAS scheduled to face Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 12. In WCW, the flagbearer was still Ric Flair, who won the WCW World Title from Randy Savage at Starrcade with alot of help from his fellow Horsemen. Arn Anderson, Brian Pillman, & Chris Benoit.

Several title unification matches happened at The Clash of The Champions in Las Vegas.

Sting & Lex Luger beat The Smoking Gunns to unify the tag team titles.

Razor Ramon beat One Man Gang to unify the Intercontinental & United States Titles.

Bret Hart vs. Ric Flair was announced for SuperBrawl 6 to unify the World Titles.

However, The Hitman would soon be in the crosshairs of The Four Horsemen. The question now is, who can Bret Hart find to be his allies.

More to come......

Yeah, probably. I guess Bischoff really wasn't exactly the great promoter that he always said he was.

However, I'm really doing this for the fantasy value. You could imagine the feuds that could've happened if there was actual leadership.

Yeah those 20 minute long nWo promos that really acomplished nothing. WCW really was a one trick pony, Vince did good by outlasting Ted Turner's bankroll and patience.

No Goldberg...and probably no singles push for Booker T. And who knows what would have happened to the Vanilla Midgets.

Actually, the most interesting thing would probably be the fate of ECW, which was the best promotion in North America creatively at this point.

What if WWF bought out WCW in 1996? What would happen then?

Hall & Nash would say that they ARE working for WWF and the nWo would still go on forever. nWo would be the kliq so Hogan might be on the WCW side with Sting, Luger, Savage.

WCW had too many guys on the roster, plain and simple...too many guys that didn't matter. Guys like Mike Enos, Mike Rotundo, Renegade, Joe Gomez, Jim Powers etc. and they kept trying to get us to care about these lame guys. I said it in another thread, I really don't remember WCW sucking this bad back in 1996, but as I rewatch Nitro on 24/7...oy!

No love for the 25 minute promo main event by the nWo or never ending swerves or nWo adding new members every week until it had every single worthless midcard has been from WWF? Matches that always ended with non decisions. Piper vs Flair, Flair vs Hogan, Piper vs Hogan, Warrior vs Hogan, Jay Leno vs Bischoff, Bret Hart going nowhere not know which side he was on, Karl Malone, Dennis Rodman, Kevin Greene, Michael McMicheal, pro athletes getting pushed as wrestlers? Yeah the WCW main event was shit after the Hall & Nash shock wore off 2 months after their first appearence.

Back then WWF had the better main event and WCW had the better undercard. So in my fantasy world I would have Kliq (Hall, Nash, HBK, HHH, xpac) vs Horsemen (Flair, Arn, Benoit, Malenko) as the major storyline then have Hogan vs Undertake/Kane/Goldberg as the secondary big angle, midcard would be the ECW talent, lowcard would be the high-flying cruiserweights from Mexico and Japan. Harlem Heat, Nasty Boys, Hart Foundation, Blue Bloods, Public Enemy, Steiners as the tag division.

WCW had god awful main eventers in 1996 but a superb midcard (Ultimo Dragon, Liger, Malenko, Benoit, Rey, etc.). WWF had great upper tier players ('Taker, Michaels, Hart, Mankind, Austin) but a horrible midcard. Though in theory combining the two would make sense, since each had the missing piece the other was lacking, no way would it have gone over in any shape. Just too many goofy booking ideas on both ends.

It would not go over easy due to all of the politics yadda yadda yadda which is the reason why the Invasion in WWF 2001 never worked and why the nWo in WCW went on for too damn long. Of course everybody has big egos but in the spirit of fairness some would have to compromise like say Hogan could work with the various giants like Big Show, Undertaker, Kane, Sid but his buddies like Booty Man, Greg Valentine, Jim Duggan would not stay around for long and Hogan could not bring back some has been from WWF 80's just to squash him on PPV either. And Flair would be working as the JJ Dillon role of the Horseman but he could work with Piper only if he worked as a mentor/manager for the younger talent. Unfortunately the necessary of the 30 minute promo will stay but this time it would actually have a payoff with a decent match at the PPV instead of the usual nWo bs ending of endless run-ins with the trash throwing crazed fans. Oh and the announcers would be forced to call the matches instead of Tony or JR having the circle jerk about "STONE COLD STONE COLD STONE COLD CREAMERY" or "HOLD THE PHONE FOLKS HOGAN JUST ENTERED THE ARENA IN A WHITE LIMO!" or "As the tape machines were rolling....fake Sting #4 just hit so and so with a bat".

The tv schedule would be something like 3 hour Nitro on Monday night with 2 teams of announcers with JR & King & Vince and Tony Schiavonie & Heenan & Bischoff. The muthaship Saturday Night would have Dusty Rhodes & Mike Tenay & Michael Cole the focus of the show would be the mid and lower card wrestlers that don't regularly appear on Monday night. So there would be alot of La Parka vs Damian 666, Mikey Whipwreck vs Kidman, and who betta than Booker T, DDP, Kanyon as the top guy of the weekend shows? Smackdown/Thunder would focus on the upper main event scene that isn't the nWo vs the world so you would get some tag matches, Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho vs Malenko, and the build up for the next generation of main eventers. There would be a review show on syndication on Fox networks it would focus on the main angles and have no original programming just highlights with maybe an exclusive interview or video package set to music.

or "HOLD THE PHONE FOLKS HOGAN JUST ENTERED THE ARENA IN A WHITE LIMO!" or "As the tape machines were rolling....fake Sting #4 just hit so and so with a bat".

God, I can actually hear it with his voice in my head. "THIS PROMISES TO BE THE GREATEST NIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF OUR SPORT!" "BUT IS HE WITH THE NWO OR WCW?!"

And oh man, the old school WCW fans who threw trash in the ring...priceless. I can just picture those days, the show ending with the ring filled with cups and popcorn containers, and Hogan yelling at the camera.

"NWO BROTHER! STINGER'S A PIECE OF CRAP! FLEXY LEXY, BROTHER! DUDE! BROTHER! NWO! FOR LIFE BROTHER!"