TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

Grand Theft Auto IV

About 20 or so minutes (depending on traffic) until XBox Live explodes, I guess. Unfortunately, I'm working so I won't be able to bask in the greatness until 6, but my Wednesday is free to spend the day in the LC.

I got over at my Babbages around 11:40 and was out by 12:25. There were still a lot of people behind me. Overall, it was probably about 250 people there.

It's being installed onto my PS3 right now. Only a few more minutes...

I got over at my Babbages around 11:40 and was out by 12:25. There were still a lot of people behind me. Overall, it was probably about 250 people there.

It's being installed onto my PS3 right now. Only a few more minutes...

Wow, there are still Babbages around? I thought they had all turned into Gamestops. I wonder if it's even possible to crash Microsofts' servers?

I just put in about 5 hours of it and I'm pretty impressed. I've done very little in that time except kill a lot of people, buy clothes and hang out with some of the friends in the game. Load times are almost non existent and I really like the story. The dialogue between characters is fun even when you're just driving to a location. I like the new Wanted system a lot better too.

The first thing I noticed about gameplay was the driving mechanics and the little changes to make it more difficult. Also driving drunk is interesting. Surprisingly I don't even like doing it after the first couple of times. I thought it would be really fun, but it just makes things more difficult.

Gonna pick it up in the morning. I'll probably spend two hours or so bowling...I'm weird like that.

Haven't had a chance to fully play it yet, as I was playing at a friend's house, but so far, I've gather, cops are no fuckin joke.

Even at like 2-3 stars, these guys will swarm you, and 3 cars surrounding you, plus about 10 cops unloading bullets at you? That's hard to escape. (At least in this first section of the game in which you have no weapons of course)

Just got home with it.....where I live there are two Gamestops within 2 miles from my house....both had lines around the building and the evening news came out to shoot some footage for the 11 o'clock news.....

Ok gonna go play this now....

So, I've spent the last 15 minutes watching the TV in Niko's apartment.

I think I'm playing this game wrong.

Edit: my EB had about 50-75 people in line, but considering that there were SEVEN EBs/Gamestops within a *12* mile range doing midnight releases, not to mention two Wal-Marts and a Best Buy, that I wasn't even expecting that many.

I had no idea the game came with a free month of Live. I just read that on another forum.

Yea, me neither, and I bought a year, specifically for this. But hey, still works out in the end I suppose. Now I just have 14 months of live with GTA.

So far, in what little I've played, I've found braking a little hard. The regular brake doesn't brake hard enough, and the handbrake, is pretty much a guaranteed 180-360. It's gonna take a while to get used to the realistic driving.

I had no idea the game came with a free month of Live. I just read that on another forum.

Yea, me neither, and I bought a year, specifically for this. But hey, still works out in the end I suppose. Now I just have 14 months of live with GTA.

Between Live giving me 2 free months due to the credit card set for auto-renew being canceled, a free month from when my Xbox red-ringed, the +1 month that comes from the 1 year cards (twice), and the month from this, my subscription won't expire till next July, 5 days before my birthday. I originally signed up in January 2005.

I am already kind of jealous of all the kids I stood in line with last night to get the game. At 28,(well 28 in a few months), I was probably one of the oldest in the crowd of a hundred or so. All of them conversating with each other about how they would be playing all night, and into the morning etc......while I basically bought the game, opened it, popped it in for a preview of what is to come, then had to retire to bed for work.......I am now sitting here at work counting down the hours till I get to play the damn game.

I've just been fooling around so far, not doing any missions outside of the opening drive. I love the animations of getting hit by cars. It looks as real as possible, as opposed to the occasional scene from the previous games of flying a couple yards and landing on your feet. Getting vaulted through your windshield after a crash is insane.

At one point, I saw the big part of the city across the water, so I decided to swim over. Just as I approached the land, I got six stars. I didn't even make it out of the water, and I was gunned down. Looks like it'll be pretty hard to get into the forbidden parts of town this time around.

So far, I'm loving this game.

I've just been fooling around so far, not doing any missions outside of the opening drive. I love the animations of getting hit by cars. It looks as real as possible, as opposed to the occasional scene from the previous games of flying a couple yards and landing on your feet. Getting vaulted through your windshield after a crash is insane.

At one point, I saw the big part of the city across the water, so I decided to swim over. Just as I approached the land, I got six stars. I didn't even make it out of the water, and I was gunned down. Looks like it'll be pretty hard to get into the forbidden parts of town this time around.

So far, I'm loving this game.

Yea, even at 2 stars, the cops are hell, so 6 seems impossible. And it doesn't help, those fuckers like to use shotguns.

Was playing in freemode earlier, and there was about 7 of us. A 4 star wanted level was the highest anyone had, and all of us, were cornered, gunned down, and killed. Granted, we could have just left the area, but it was just seeing How long we could last. It wasn't that long.

And..now I have to leave for work. It's gonna be a LONG night.

Son of a bitch. I'm gonna need a fix at about the 3 hour mark. I might just jump in my car and start plowing bitches down to help calm the nerves.

Alright, so when it comes to the game:

Anyone that has it, how did you feel about San Andreas?

Did you play Saint's Row and if you did how did you feel about it?

I am still scared to buy the game because if it is getting great reviews because it is like San Andreas with a better shooting mechanic and better graphics, I am going to be pissed.

It's cool that the game is incorporating stuff from Saints Row (like flying through windshields) since Saints was better than any of the previous GTA games. I just have another 2 and a half hours till I can see how awesome it is for myself.

I'm surprised you guys are talking about the difficulty of the cops. the reviews and people at other boards have been talking about how much easier they are, almost to a fault.

Early impression: Graphics are ok and so are the mechanics. Is it me or is there a lot less random weapons just laying around to pick up then in previous installments. Maybe I have just not explored enough yet. Also, is there a certain button you press to pick up weapons or do you just walk over them? I beat up some CALTrans workers and they dropped their pick-axe but Nico didn't pick it up.....is that just not available or do I have to press a certain buttom combo?

Early impression: Graphics are great and so are the mechanics. Is it me or is there a lot less random weapons just laying around to pick up then in previous installments. Maybe I have just not explored enough yet. Also, is there a certain button you press to pick up weapons or do you just walk over them? I beat up some CALTrans workers and they dropped their pick-axe but Nico didn't pick it up.....is that just not available or do I have to press a certain buttom combo?

I don't believe that's an actual weapon. If it didn't glow orange underneath, then it wasn't a weapon. And you just walk over them to get them.

Well I went and bought the game. Its giong to take some getting used to though. They went over the top with the car mechanics. It isn't that fucking hard to turn a corner.

I liked the fighting mechanics. Its going to get cool eventually but I have been overwhelmed with all the cutscenes so far. It definately is cool the graphic things they did. Its pretty much just a lighting trick they did. The poly count isn't any higher than saints row, but the lighting engine they used makes some shots just look incredible.