TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

Grand Theft Auto IV

The Babbages over here is doing a midnight launch, so I'll probably pick it up then. By luck, I actually have Tuesday off, so I'll have all day to sit around and play it.

I didn't want to read the entire IGN review since I want to do my own exploring and be surprised by all the cool, little features. That and it's really long...

But yeah, can't wait for this game.

I was all amped over that until I saw that hillary Goldstein did the rating. i will offically wait for a revieew from someone who doesn't suck ass at reviewing games.

But this game does look awesome. I will get it eventually. its just that while i did love Vice City, I didn't like san Andreas.

What I did like was Saints Row and it looks like this Grand Theft Auto kept the things i liked in the previous versions, but also borrowed some of the better features from Saints Row to make one heck of a game.

But this game does look awesome. I will get it eventually. its just that while i did love Vice City, I didn't like san Andreas.

What I did like was Saints Row and it looks like this Grand Theft Auto kept the things i liked in the previous versions, but also borrowed some of the better features from Saints Row to make one heck of a game.

Same. San Andreas just had too many annoyances to really be any fun, IMO. Aside from a couple of infuriating missions, SR is hands down better.

Still can't wait to get GTAIV, though.

I just wanted you to know that I wasn't a super nerd who knew that off hand...

Cause that would be lame.

I'm currently simming through years of Madden 07 Superstar mode at 3 in the morning on a Friday night to get the last achievements I need...

nothing lame going on over here.

I'm going to a launch thingy at my local gamestop. The good news is that I get to look pathetic with my good friend, who plans on playing into the wee hours of the morning with me.

The soundtrack listing from GTA IV's instruction manual was scanned and posted by someone on Gamefaqs, and there's quite a few questionable choices (IMO, this is one of the weakest soundtrack's ever in a GTA game). But people who enjoy Bob Marley, hip-hop, and/or electronica will probably love it. :rolleyes:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/k...gtamusic1-1.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/k...b/gtamusic2.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc162/k...b/gtamusic3.jpg

I've got a USB drive full of MP3s connected to the Xbox. You can also use most portable MP3 players, except DRM'd iTunes stuff. You just press the Guide (centre/jewel/Xbox) button while you're playing, scroll down to "Select Music", and whatever you choose should replace the game's background music.

http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/support/xbox360/...o-xboxguide.htm

I remember reading that a lot of the music was tweaked a bit to add references to Liberty City to add to the feel that LC is a living, breathing city with a lot of history behind it.

I swear, I'm going to be bowling for like two hours at one point while playing this. My poor 360 will be screaming at me by Wednesday night.

I've got a USB drive full of MP3s connected to the Xbox. You can also use most portable MP3 players, except DRM'd iTunes stuff. You just press the Guide (centre/jewel/Xbox) button while you're playing, scroll down to "Select Music", and whatever you choose should replace the game's background music.

I have never used a 360 before, does this overide all sounds or just the music?

As much as I love being able to listen to my own music selection while playing games I think if loses a bit when it's not actually IN the game like on one of the various radio stations. Woulda been awesome to have a "Custom" radio station in which you could put your own stuff into. I always loved the realism of getting into a car and playing with the radio in GTA games.

I have never used a 360 before, does this overide all sounds or just the music?

As much as I love being able to listen to my own music selection while playing games I think if loses a bit when it's not actually IN the game like on one of the various radio stations. Woulda been awesome to have a "Custom" radio station in which you could put your own stuff into. I always loved the realism of getting into a car and playing with the radio in GTA games.

It depends on the game. A game like Gears of War, it played in the background, just like the real background music, Under all the rest of the games audio sounds and everything. But then there's others, and I can't think of any right now but I know I have some, where you pretty much mainly only hear the music. (I mean, you can always here the normal SFX but on some games the music seems to take over a bit.)

And in the case of GTA, if it's like Saint's Row, the music will in fact sound like it's part of the radio, but the only thing is that it also plays when you aren't in a car. Which I suppose you could turn it off when you get out, but that seems like a hassle.

edit- You know, random thought, but I'm curious as to whether seasons change. (since they seem to have taken everything else into account...love the blood splatters on the cars!) I mean, with Rockstar's last game being Bully, although the setup was different, that had seasons changed. And most of the videos I've seen of GTAIV with trees around, they're all red/orange/yellow giving off the fall vibe. But hopefully at some point we get Liberty City covered in snow. It'd be fun to just go off in 'Central Park' while people are ice skating in the winter. And I imagine the blood would look sweet in the snow.

Sounds overly violent, but hey, thats' the whole point of the game.

Is there an option for custom soundtracks?

No, the game's radio stations will have to suffice. Xbox 360 owners can still stream music from their hard drive or an iPod, but music played via the Xbox 360 Guide will continue to play over cell phone calls and cut scenes. If you're just going out for a stroll in GTA IV, it's still an option.

http://kotaku.com/384503/everything-you-wa...-so-stop-asking

That kinda sucks. But assuming the game comes to PC, that version should have them. San Andreas has a folder that you copy songs files and/or shurtcuts into to make a custom station.

Quick question, as I don't feel like going through all the reviews/information to find out.

Has there been anything said about any local co-op, like San Andreas had? I know it seems somewhat pointless, considering there's a 16 man multiplayer, but it'd still be fun to just go to a friends house, and run around the city, without having to take turns on live.

San Andreas' "multiplayer" however simple, was fun.

That kinda sucks. But assuming the game comes to PC, that version should have them. San Andreas has a folder that you copy songs files and/or shurtcuts into to make a custom station.

Given the fiasco over modding San Andreas had, I somehow doubt Rockstar will even bother with a PC release this time.

Now I might actually lhave to buy this now. Dumb video reviews.

I swear, it looks like they took some of the targeting for Saints Row and True Crime: Streets of LA (the one great quality about that game was the targeting system), with a great cover system that these games greatly needed and put them together.

Between this and SR2 this summer...I am going to get out of shape.

Quick question, as I don't feel like going through all the reviews/information to find out.

Has there been anything said about any local co-op, like San Andreas had? I know it seems somewhat pointless, considering there's a 16 man multiplayer, but it'd still be fun to just go to a friends house, and run around the city, without having to take turns on live.

San Andreas' "multiplayer" however simple, was fun.

The Kotaku FAQ suggests multiplayer is only online.

Have they specified what resolution it will be in? 720/1080? Apologies if thats been said. Can't wait til Midnight!!

"Rockstar also told us at this point that while the game will support 1080p, the game will only run in 720p natively, and will therefore be scaled up to the higher resolution."

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/grandth...tml?sid=6188921

I saw something about it possibly only running at 620 vertical pixels natively, then upscaled to 720, kind of like what Halo 3 did. I don't think anyone but the most ardent of technophiles will notice, though.

Sweet, I'm finally going to have something to do on my 360 besides getting way too pissed at NBA 2K8. Hopefully there aren't any missions like "Supply Lines" in San Andreas, which I don't think I ever passed.