TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BlackFlagg

and the new Incredible Hulk is....

I'm going tonight and I'm wondering the same thing, anything after the credits? Any Nick Fury cameo?

Nothing at all. I would have figured they'd have something, but alas, no dice.

I thought this was a pretty good movie, btw, definitely worth seeing.

I'll go see this tomorrow. Pretty sure it can't help but be better than the turd that was the Ang Lee 2003 film. The heels in that film were Josh Lucas and a washed up (and drunk looking) Nick Nolte. At least this has the supreme villain Tim Roth.

Damn fine movie. The Hulk looks a lot better in this one, as you have seen from trailers and stills, but once you see the movie, you will appreciate the CGI even more. Time flew during the movie, too, so great pacing.

Saw it and liked it, although it wasn't as good as Iron Man. I only wish that Sam Elliot was in this one instead of the Ang Lee version as I felt that was the one big advantage the first film had. Hurt wasn't bad, he just didn't do anything to stand out either. Other than that, this one was much improved.

Caught the 6 pm showing and fucking LOVED IT! Enjoyed it much more than Iron Man(but then again, I really hate Tony Stark, so meh) and the scene during the street portion of the Hulk/Abomination fight where Hulk was beating Abomination's brains into the street gave me freakin' goosebumps. I was actually shocked by how many people in the theater actually knew who Lou Ferrigno(or however the hell you spell his name) when he made his cameo. I missed Bill Bixby's cameo, but I'm definitely going to catch it when I see this again.

I loved watching Hulk and Abomination fight. It's a notch below Iron Man, but it's up there in terms of Super Hero movies. Edward Norton was a great cast.

Caught the 6 pm showing and fucking LOVED IT! Enjoyed it much more than Iron Man(but then again, I really hate Tony Stark, so meh) and the scene during the street portion of the Hulk/Abomination fight where Hulk was beating Abomination's brains into the street gave me freakin' goosebumps. I was actually shocked by how many people in the theater actually knew who Lou Ferrigno(or however the hell you spell his name) when he made his cameo. I missed Bill Bixby's cameo, but I'm definitely going to catch it when I see this again.

Ferrigno also provided the voice of Hulk.

But, my friend, how can you hate Tony Stark?

Saw it tonight, loved it. Not quite as great as Iron Man but still awesome. I like the Banner-on-the-run thing they had going on in this movie, especially with the references to the old TV show.

Also, the Captain America build up was sweet. So was Downey showing up at the end.

Saw it tonight, loved it. Not quite as great as Iron Man but still awesome. I like the Banner-on-the-run thing they had going on in this movie, especially with the references to the old TV show.

Also, the Captain America build up was sweet. So was Downey showing up at the end.

Where was this in the movie, it must have totally passed me by :huh:

AH nevermind, found it! :D

In The Incredible Hulk, General Ross mentions to Emil Blonsky that there was a World War II program that created a super soldier formula. When Emil leaps at this chance to utilize the formula to defeat the Hulk, the canister containing the formula is shown to bear the label "Dr. Reinstein," referring to the scientist who created Captain America.

Bill Bixby is dead. His cameo was

"The Courtship of Eddie's Father" shown while Banner was watching TV early in the film.

I tagged that just in case someone doesn't want to know where he makes a cameo. I figure most would not care, but you never know.

Ok, I have a different opinion. The Ang Lee film was way better.

I understand why the 2003 film gets so much vitriol, its sort of stuck in a no-man's land: too art-house to be liked by the mainstream, too mainstream to be liked by the art house.

But this 2008 film seems to be a mainstream over-reaction to the first film. The biggest flaw in this film is the General Ross character. William Hurt's portrayal couldn't be more one dimensional as the thinly veiled metaphor for the war hungry american military machine. Elliott's Gen. Ross in 2003 had way more resonance. It's said that the best villain is the one that thinks he is doing the right thing. Elliott's Gen. Ross definitely thinks he's doing the right thing by protecting his country and daughter by pursuing the Hulk the way he did. Hurt's General Ross is shown as a lying, uncaring, war monger.

I was also terribly disappointed by Edward Norton's performance. He did no better than Bana's in 2003. I love Norton's work, but his performance in this movie is very ordinary.

The CGI was awful! The Hulk looked like a frickin action figure. Seriously, the final fight between Abomination and Hulk looks like two action figures going at it. It really took away from my enjoyment of the scene. The desert scene CGI in the 2003 movie blows away anything in this movie.

This 2008 Hulk is a by the numbers comic book movie. I expected more from a movie with Norton and Roth in it. (Although Roth's performance was pretty good, IMO.)

2003 version: 7/10

2008 version: 5/10

Saw it in the Cine Capri, where they just installed a new DLP projector. The screen is bigger than IMAX and the sound system is better as well. The CGI was fantastic, everything looked absolutely perfect, and I'll jump on the bandwagon saying I enjoyed this more than Iron Man.

While this was certainly better than the dreck from 2003, I can understand the assessment that Sam Elliott was way better as the General. In this film Hurt plays him almost like he's the total heel who is out to use Banner to create a race of Hulks or super soliders. At least this film actually moved though. The 2003 Hulk made the unpardonable sin of being a comic book flick that was really, really slow and boring. And Nick Nolte was really bad and over the top in it.

Tim Roth was quite good in the new one. I don't usually like the villain in the "decent dude that has something bad happen to him" school, but this was one of the better examples of it. I understood his frustrations of not being able to defeat The Hulk as a normal man, and why he got obsessed until he became a monster.

While I loved Tim Roth in this movie, I think the best part about his role is that

after he got drugged up and started fighting Hulk on the campus, he made a Super Soldier believable. It was just a hint of what Captain America could do.

Ferrigno also provided the voice of Hulk.

But, my friend, how can you hate Tony Stark?

Because he's a jackass? Hell, I was hating Stark before Civil War set him up to be THE person on Marvel Earth(I think Wonderman and Wolverine are the only ones higher on my hate list).

Before I saw The Incredible Hulk, I decided to watch Hulk again just to get myself pumped up.

What I didn't like:

- Too much Jennifer Connelly. I never really liked her anyway so I'm glad she wasn't brought back.

- Hulk fighting really big dogs. It sounds cool on paper, but it was terrible actually seeing it.

- Pacing. I appreciate that they tried to infuse more dramatic elements into the story and not just Hulk smash, but the pacing was way too slow. At times, I felt like I was watching The Ice Storm, another Ang Lee film, rather than Hulk. And while the slow pacing worked for that movie, it certainly didn't for this one.

- The finale. I thought the idea of the last act was good, but everything was in the dark, and you couldn't make out anything on screen. Definitely needed more "heroic" moments from Hulk here.

- The Hulk's size. Hulk gets stronger the angrier he gets, not bigger. It was unnecessary creative change.

What I did like:

I liked the comic book framing. I like the overall storyline, and how they gave Banner a more complex origin. He didn't just get bombarded by gamma rays and changed into the Hulk. He survived because his father experimented on him when he was young, so that change to his DNA, combined with witnessing the murder of his mother, combined with the gamma radiation created a perfect storm for the Hulk to be born. And I liked how Hulk defeated his father at the end. Basically, all his father cared about was getting more and more power, and he wanted his son's power. But his son's power derived from his anger, and the anger was so great that the father couldn't handle it.

Now for The Incredible Hulk

What I didn't like:

- The whole Reboot / Redo / Remake / Do-Over stuff wasn't necessary. Take away the stuff that happens in the opening credits and ignore Ross' private convo with Blonsky and this would've worked just fine as an official sequel since either way Bruce Banner became The Hulk because of a freak lab accident after being injected.

- William Hurt was good as General Ross, but I really wish Sam Elliot was brought back. Had they done that, this movie would've been near perfect.

- Hulk Vs. The Army scenes. The previous movie's version was far better.

- The movie should've ended with Norton's eyes.

The scene with RDJ should've been put on after the credits so I wouldn't have wasted my time waiting for nothing.

What I did like:

- I liked that they didn't completely ignore the first movie. A few references were made 1.) The movie picking up with Banner in South America where Hulk 2003 left off. 2.)

Lou Ferrigno reprising his role as a security guard at the retconned location of where Banner did his research at.

. 3.) Ross mentioned that Banner escaped to South America 5 years ago (the year Hulk came out.) This movie felt more like a Retconned Sequel or a "Re-Quel" if you will. I guess you could say this was Marvel's version of "The Wrath of Khan", but then again it was cool to get establish a balance for lovers and haters of the last movie.

- I felt Norton didn't disappoint with his performance so not having Bana back worked out for the better.

-

Lou Ferrigno's cameo. I felt the exchange between him and Norton was a passing of the torch. Very cool.

- Liv Tyler was really fucking hot in this movie.

- Lots of action and some comedy definitely won over some new fans.

- I liked how The Abonimation reminded me of the Tyrant from Resident Evil sort of, it was more realistic and better than really big reptile guy. The Hulk Vs. Abonimation fight alone was worth the 5 year wait.

I marked out for Hulk using the Gamma Slam (the special move / mini-version where he lifts ground pieces at you.)

- Can't wait to see

The Leader in the next movie.

So all in all, Iron Man was still better, but The Incredible Hulk was almost as good. Bill Bixby would've been proud.

- Can't wait to see

That was a great throwaway shot as well leading into his evolution, the mad smile crossing his face, really was amazing. Good casting too, as he actually looks like him!

Here's a question that a friend of mine posed:

Say the Hulk becomes a franchise of movies. Provided they can write a good script with it...

Who would you get to play as Jen "She Hulk" Walters?

Friend of mine suggested Bridget Moynahan

- Can't wait to see

That was a great throwaway shot as well leading into his evolution, the mad smile crossing his face, really was amazing. Good casting too, as he actually looks like him!

I thought that was supposed to be Doc Samson?

Doc Samson is a totally different character. The Leader has always been Samueal Sterns. Doc Samson, who was Betty's love interest in the movie, develops powers were his hair is green and his strength is based on its length, like his namesake.

MVP, as usual I don't understand your movie review.

"They shouldn't have made this a reboot! / They shouldn't have made references to the first movie".

Which is it, friend? While it is officially a reboot, they don't explicitly spell it out and leaving in things like "he's been on the loose for 5 years" can in theory leave it up to the viewer to decide where it fits in canon, so it was a good way of "having it both ways". Of course the 2003 film sucked so I'll take the "references to it's existence are cute but thank God it's not canon" approach.

This was quite the entertaining film and while I'm not into comics enough to appreciate all the set-ups, a quick read on wikipedia made me realize how much mor excited I would have found some scenes (like the

Leader set-up stuff

). Lou (who apprently voiced Hulk too) and

HULK SMASH!

got good pops.