TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Playoffs 2007: Round 1

Yeah. Replace Kobe with Vince with a in his prime Shaq and running the triangle and I think that the Lakers would have won 1-2. They wouldn't have been as dominant because of how incredibly bad of a defensive player that Carter is, but his offensive ability matched up with Shaqs dominance...yeah. I think they would have one at worse. Two at best.

Spurs with their usual first game job, although it may not be a good idea this time

Warriors up 6 at the end of one. Warriors running around like crazies and Dirk playing like crap

EDIT: Baron goes nuts in the 3rd, Warriors still up 6 at the end of the quarter

Dirk should be using his size a lot more than he does. He's proven that he can make jumpers from Ft. Worth. He doesn;t even have to go down into the low block. Catch it between the circles back down two or the steps and shoot it over the top of the defender. He did that once and got within six feet of the basket and got fouled.

Devon Harris is doing well. The key to beating Baron Davis is making him defend. I take that back a bit as hes currently 7-16.

That's a major bugaboo for the Pistons, they build up a lead of 15 points or more and then they downshift, letting the opposition get back into the game when they should put them the fuck away, win or loss. With the way the Magic were playing last night, the Pistons should have blew them the hell out if they had not taken their foot off the gas.

Wow I really didn't think the Warriors would be able to win a game in Dallas let alone have it under control in the final few minutes. Baron Davis was king sized tonight.

First playoff win in 15 years.

Big win for the Warriors tonight. Sure, they get the 1-0 lead, HC, and all that, but the big thing here is a major psychological advantage. You know Dallas wasn't sweating that regular season sweep thinking that they would just turn it on once the playoffs started. Then GS comes out and out-plays Dallas on their home court. Dallas has to be just a little nervous now. Based on the Finals last year, I'm not sold on the Mavs' mental poise.

San Antonio can be slightly less concerned with losing to Denver, since starting fast is not their forte. I think you'll see the Spurs turn up the intensity in Game 2.

Easily the worst game I've seen Dallas play this year. Congrats to Warrior fans for their first playoff win in forever, but words can't express how much ill I wish upon Stephen Jackson right now.

The West has looked really bizarre thus far. I think with the Spurs it was their usual little blip early on and they should still be fine against the Nuggets. The Mavs truly look like they have no answers against the Warriors. Man, if the Spurs and Mavs both lose in the first round can we go ahead and book Phoenix for the Finals?

No, the Spurs are not going to take this series past 6 games. They will not be able to win a game in Denver.

Houston is the only team that I believe could beat Phoenix.

As a Houston fan, Phoenix is the one team I don't want to be up against in the playoffs. They control the tempo every time, get the big guys winded, and Amare is a bitch for Yao match up with.

San Antonio has a much better shot at taking out the Suns than Houston.

I really dont think the Spurs will win this series if they rely on the play of Tim Duncan, Nene basically shut him down and made him look bad.

I'm actually not a fan of Denver, but I like AI, so I hope he gets a ring out of this.

Dallas pretty much showed the same weakness they've shown all year, a fucking terrible offensive system. Every trip down the court, it's up to one guy to pretty much create his own shot, while the other four stand around with their thumbs up their ass. They have plenty of excellent one on one scorers so this works for the most part, but in situations like last night, a smart team can easily shut it down. I can't see them beating well oiled machines like Phoenix with constant isolation like this(hell, nobody is even slashing or spotting up for the double team), and yes, they may not even beat Nelson's Golden State.

Guest Richard McBeef

Hey, way to go, Golden State Warriors. I bet that Oakland crowd is gonna be electric when we get to game 3.

Speaking of, is it just me or do the NBA playoffs really drag? Bulls are off till Tuesday. Why? It should be four west games the first day, four east the next, etc. We're not gonna be done here until like June 26th. Geez.

They started this bs about 2 or 3years ago so that no games would be on at the same time. It used to be like 2 games would be on at the same time (on TBS and TNT) and the series would be over in a week at the longest. If these series go 7 games it will be two full weeks. That is ridiculous that the first round on the playoffs could take 2 weeks.

I forgot to do this the other day, but hells yeah to Thabo Sefolosha for making a name for himself. I have been constantly talking about the kid since before the draft and was praying the Suns would be able to move up and get him, but they weren't able to. The guy is just a monster defensively and if given the chance is a great playmaker with size (think Boris Diaw). I was hoping Skiles would fuck up and never play him and he could be traded to a team I liked later but oh well.

Guest Smues

What was really awful was the last year the first round was still best of 5, because it was dragged out just as long as these 7 game series, which meant even longer between each game.

Dallas pretty much showed the same weakness they've shown all year, a fucking terrible offensive system. Every trip down the court, it's up to one guy to pretty much create his own shot, while the other four stand around with their thumbs up their ass. They have plenty of excellent one on one scorers so this works for the most part, but in situations like last night, a smart team can easily shut it down. I can't see them beating well oiled machines like Phoenix with constant isolation like this(hell, nobody is even slashing or spotting up for the double team), and yes, they may not even beat Nelson's Golden State.

Its the fact that they didn't pound anything (thus forcing double teams) and they let Golden State dictate their lineup. thats what they did in game one against Phoenix last year and they adjusted so I expect them to adjust.

Plus I like how Golden state doesn't double Dirk until he makes his spin move, which is pretty much genius. So he can get position, and dribble and noone comes, but once he makes it obvious he is deciding to score on the guy they swarm him nice game plan.

I expect Dallas to come out and attempt to curb stomp the Warriors in the next games, because as much as they don't want to admit it, the Warriors have beaten them 5 or 6 straight times and it is getting to them. There are guys on their team that have never experienced losing a game to the Mavs. They are going to be able to shake off the playoff jitters and use the "we own these guys" confidnece, while it will eventually get in Dallas's head they can't beat these guys if they don't do something and do something now.

I am not a big jump on the dick of a team that won game one, but I really think that the Mavs have a problem here. Dirk nowinski is a great player, but Baron Davis is HALL OF FAME TALENT with brittle joints and bones. They literally have a alltime great on their team. And he happens to play at the position that is the Mav's biggest weakness (perimeter defense).

If the Warriors win game 2, I don't think the Mavs are mentally strong enough to recover.

And just like I said in another thread, the other instesting matchup is the Spurs/Nuggets, if only because one of the most competitive players ever is playing and once again, playing where the Spurs are the weakest. Perimeter Defense.

I think Mavericks will win Game 2, but not a curb stomping. I think the Warriors will miss more shots in Game 2, and fall behind. They (Golden State) should win in Oakland though. Who wins in the end in Dallas, is anyone's guess.

I said ATTEMPT to curb stomp them. Like just give the ball to damp and let him bull over the "bigs" for golden state forcing Nellie to get bigger or double and open up the jump shooters.

This will either go very well for Dallas or very bad.

They started this bs about 2 or 3years ago so that no games would be on at the same time. It used to be like 2 games would be on at the same time (on TBS and TNT) and the series would be over in a week at the longest. If these series go 7 games it will be two full weeks. That is ridiculous that the first round on the playoffs could take 2 weeks.

I can't understand why you want to have two games on at the same time. That makes no sense. So what if it takes two weeks? Last year's first round was probably the most exciting round in the playoffs. Why rush through it? 2 weeks is fine.

Bulls/Heat and Nets/Raptors are on at the same time tomorrow, anyway.

It wouldn't be about scoring. It would be Al Harrington or whatever small forward he threw in at center getting into Foul trouble thus shorting his bench and having to use a traditional big. Take out, say, Harrington and Barnes from the Warriors plans, and you slow them down some. Might even force us to have a Adonale Foyle sighting.

Damp might not be a great scoring option normally, but he does have a very powerful back to the basket game, something missing from every other mavrick. The Mavs can't out perimeter the Warriors, so the best adjustment would be to play Mavs basketball, and force Nellies hand, if through nothing else, foul calls and getting into the penalty early. The closest thing to a big that he played in game one was beidrens and he played for like 8 minutes. Avery going small with the Warriors is stupid because his team isn't used to doing it and Nellie's is, thus you are playing their game and not yours.

Here is the even scarier part for the Mav fans. Monta Ellis and Jason Richardson had off games as did Mickal Pietrus and they won by 12.

I can't understand why you want to have two games on at the same time. That makes no sense. So what if it takes two weeks? Last year's first round was probably the most exciting round in the playoffs. Why rush through it? 2 weeks is fine.

because it kills all momentum and kills all advantages.

Say a team sweeps their team. Well back in the day that would mean you would get a extra day or two of rest as the other team would have to come right off that series on to the next series. you were REWARDED for winning quickly. Now with the huge breaks in between series and games, that advantage is gone. Plus a team that has great momentum, then have to wait 4 days to play again. It leads to teams coming out flat playing really bad basketball for like a half (part of the reason that Playoff scoring has dropped since they went to this format)

And on top of that, 2+ months for a playoff is kinda fucking ridiculous. The entire season is only 5 1/2 months, then you are going to have a 2+ month postseason?

Plus, why should I have to wait 3 days to watch my team play because Cleveland and Washington need the time to themselves. FUCK Cleveland and Washington. Yeah I want games on at the same time so I have a choice of what I want to watch.

But that's what I'm saying. They don't have to foul him. Just resign to the fact that he'd score and run up and score long range shots like they always do. 3 points does beat 2 points, after all.

But how often are smaller players able to hold their own in the post without fouling. They by nature will try to bump harder to keep the big man out and you are in foul o rama. I am sorry but any time a team is playing Matt Barnes at Center you have to attack the middle.

And what I'm saying, even though it's sacrilegious to suggest, is to let Dampier beat up your small centers, aka don't play defense. Just outscore them. I'm pretty sure if a 7 ft guy bangs into your 6 ft 4-6 inch guys, he's going to get called for fouls too. Then let Dallas preoccupy themselves with chipping in 2 points with Dampier while you're shooting for 3s, which if Davis keeps up his pace, Richardson has a better game and etc, they're still going to win handily.

Guest Richard McBeef
I can't understand why you want to have two games on at the same time. That makes no sense.

That's why it makes sense:

"I want to watch the playoffs! Aw shitballs, the fucking Nets are on. What else is on? Oh good, Bulls and Heat!" Give people options. It's hardly as if all eight matchups are compelling.