TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Top Ten Draws In U.S. Wrestling

I am posting this here because I think WWE wrestlers would dominate the list anyway. Criteria are guys that are either active or would be active if not for injury. Steve Austin and the Rock are hugely popular, but they're not wrestling. Note I am asking this question based on fan interest, drawing power, etc. Nothing to do with workrate.

Hogan (if we're counting him)

HHH

HBK

McMahon

Angle

Cena

Taker

Sting

Edge

Mick Foley (if we're counting him)

If Hogan and Foley are ruled out, then RVD and Joe

EDIT: Maybe not Joe. Maybe Jeff Hardy, as scary as it may be...

1. John Cena

2. The Undertaker

3. Triple H

4. HBK

5. Ric Flair

6. Hulk Hogan

7. Rey Mysterio Jr.

8. Jeff Hardy

9. Rob Van Dam

10. Batista

Top 4 are pretty obvious I think. 3 are 10+ year WWE vets, I put HBK bottom of those because I think he's had less presence in mainstream media than the other 2. Flair I think still draws due to the huge legacy. I'm counting Hogan as active due to the Lawler affair, but I think people are more interested in his family than his matches. Young lads love the spot monkeys (Jeff Hardy was my favourite as an 11 year old), which explains 7-9.

Cena wins though, just because he has mass appeal with kids and girls. Plus even though a lot of us may hate him, we'll pay to see him just to vent our fury at him.

Flairs, Hardy, and RVD need to get off that list, ASAP.

I think I have watched the ladder match from my Wrestlemania 16 tape over 10 times, the fatal four way main event 3 times.

TLC 2 from Wrestlemania 17 has again got over 10 views, Austin vs. Rock maybe twice.

Seeing that I haven't watched these tapes since I was 14 tops, it shows that Hardy draws kids. I definitely was doing more Swanton's off the couch as a kid than Stunners on my friend's. Spot monkeys draw.

Just my opinion only, but anyone from TNA can't really be a draw at this point. Bringing both Angle and Sting into the TNA fold didnt really generate any additional viewership to their product. Its more the fault of the promotion versus the individual unfortunately.

I think I have watched the ladder match from my Wrestlemania 16 tape over 10 times, the fatal four way main event 3 times.

TLC 2 from Wrestlemania 17 has again got over 10 views, Austin vs. Rock maybe twice.

Seeing that I haven't watched these tapes since I was 14 tops, it shows that Hardy draws kids. I definitely was doing more Swanton's off the couch as a kid than Stunners on my friend's. Spot monkeys draw.

I had no idea the number of times you personally watch a match over makes a certain worker a "draw" - I've heard alot of wild reasoning why someone feels the way they do on a certain subject, but this may take tops. Congrats.

Someone needs to clarify what a "draw" means, I'm too annoyed to even bother.

I had no idea the number of times you personally watch a match over makes a certain worker a "draw" - I've heard alot of wild reasoning why someone feels the way they do on a certain subject, but this may take tops. Congrats.

It shows I want to watch Jeff Hardy more than The Rock. Therefore I'm more likely to see a show with Jeff Hardy over a show with The Rock. Hence, Jeff Hardy draws more.

1. Cena

2. Undertaker

3. HHH

4. HBK

5. Flair (if they gave him one more title run, it would be a huge draw)

6. Rey

7. Edge

8. RVD

9. Angle

10. Sting (this is iffy, but he was a big draw when he first went came to TNA)

A draw is someone who draws fans to a wrestling event.

I would say Jeff Hardy is a draw because a lot more people would go to a wrestling with the sole intent of seing him than, for example, a Batista, Orton or Flair.

It shows I want to watch Jeff Hardy more than The Rock. Therefore I'm more likely to see a show with Jeff Hardy over a show with The Rock. Hence, Jeff Hardy draws more.

I think the idea of the thread was for people to be objective not subjective. You might want to see Jeff Hardy over the Rock, but that doesn't mean the majority of the people feel the same, and I'd wager money they don't.

I'm confused by this topic. Are we picking guys who have drawn the most? Drawing the most currently? Are most likely to draw the most in the future? Most likely to draw if booked correctly?

I just don't know what the criteria is supposed to be.

I think the idea of the thread was for people to be objective not subjective. You might want to see Jeff Hardy over the Rock, but that doesn't mean the majority of the people feel the same, and I'd wager money they don't.

That's why Cena is number 1 on my list and Hardy is 8.

I'm confused by this topic. Are we picking guys who have drawn the most? Drawing the most currently? Are most likely to draw the most in the future? Most likely to draw if booked correctly?

I just don't know what the criteria is supposed to be.

Who would draw the most currently.

Why do people put Angle in there? He's not a draw and he has never shown the ability to be one. I guess you guys are just putting him in for the name value.

That's a large part of being a draw.

Outside of a few certainties, I don't know if there are any proven draws currently active so I'd put Angle ahead of, for example, Orton.

Orton does sell a lot merchandise apparently (mostly with women). Although Jeff Hardy might have stolen the chick demographic from him upon his return.

I might regret putting Hogan so high. Since now a days in terms of vintage appeal, Taker is well ahead of him. And Taker can still go.

Sting couldn't draw an extra .2 to TNA's ratings, much less be a bigger draw than Batista. STOP THE MADNESS.

No one cares about Ric Flair's career in 2007, he's a novelty act. If anything, fans are insulted when he gets pushed over young guys.

Hardy might have some "teen girl / little kid" draw, but Cena's already drawn those fans to the arena. Thus, Jeff does nothing.

Are there even ten legitimate draws in the US right now? I think once you get past a few of the top guys the WWE name itself is what is drawing the fans in.

I don't think that there has been a legitimate draw in the company in quite some time. It's the brand and name recognition that draws over anything else.

I think guys like Cena, HHH, Batista, Hogan and Taker can draw when given an interesting angle to work with, but I don't think there are many fans who buy tickets just to see them regardless of what they are doing.

Why do people put Angle in there? He's not a draw and he has never shown the ability to be one. I guess you guys are just putting him in for the name value.

That's a large part of being a draw.

Outside of a few certainties, I don't know if there are any proven draws currently active so I'd put Angle ahead of, for example, Orton.

But on the flip side, Orton in WWE would be considered more of a draw than Angle in TNA would. I know it's not an accurate comparison, but with WWE drawing more, you'd have to credit their workers (even though its the name itself alone drawing) more than you could the Angles, Stings, Cages, etc of TNA who only draws the $ from PPV revenues, and I'd be willing to bet it's not that much.

1.Hulk Hogan (He still wrestles so I count him)

2. John Cena

3. HHH

4. Shawn Micheals

5. The Undertaker

6. Edge (great heel, people will pay to see him get his ass kicked)

7. Rob Van Dam (I don't care, everyone knows he can draw huge)

8. The Hardys (as a team)

9. Bobby Lashley (he's really getting over with the crowd)

10. Kane (I don't care what you say, people will pay to see him wrestle)

Sting, Angle, hell even Samoa Joe - they all should and could be US draws but the fact is TNA has little to no clue how to market these workers AS draws. They have a very aloof sense of marketing ability within the company, meaning that your casual fans may not even know either Angle or Sting is even IN TNA currently. That goes back to my previous post where I said its more the fault of the promotion versus the abilities of the workers themselves that nobody within TNA draws $$$$.

No the problem is TNA gives away tickets for free to their TV shows (not that they could charge at Universal), so their only revenue is PPV, and with their horrible advertising, they would only get maybe a few million, if they're lucky, and divide that up with the highly paid workers all the way onto the bottom of the pool, you don't really draw much.

No the problem is TNA gives away tickets for free to their TV shows (not that they could charge at Universal), so their only revenue is PPV, and with their horrible advertising, they would only get maybe a few million, if they're lucky, and divide that up with the highly paid workers all the way onto the bottom of the pool, you don't really draw much.

I hear what you are saying but my point is IF they advertise correctly to the wrestling masses, AND a big part as well is how they are booked (and everyone right now is being booked kind of "even steven" in a way), there would be a chance for certain workers to be draws. The money is there via Panda Energy, there really isnt an excuse why they at least arent putting their best foot forward and getting a substantial marketing team together to advertise things better.

1. John Cena

2. HHH

3. Undertaker

4. Vince McMahon

5. Shawn Michaels

6. Rey Misterio

7. Dave Batista

8. RVD

9. Jeff Hardy

10. Kane

TNA has some guys that could be draws if handled correctly, but have been booked into oblivion, so the list is WWE only. Cena & HHH are by far the two biggest stars in the promotion right now. I could see placing HHH over Cena, but nobody else cracks the top two. Edge probably should be on the list, but I never here from anybody who watches a show because Edge is on it. Jeff Hardy, Kane and probably even Booker T seem to be more well known than Edge is.