TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

The Dark Knight

Reading the Wiki entry for Harley Quinn points to an actress already been chosen for the role, although it was semi-shot down.

I've also seen Sarah Jayne Dunn's name attached too (as in the Wiki entry). She's a little taller (by 2-3 inches) but also seems to be slightly older so she could make for a more "recognizable" Dr. Harleen Quinnzell in the film. IMDB also has her listed.

http://www.rdfmanagement.com/clients/Sarah...ne_Dunn_cv.html

Well, it all depends if they have sneak previews on Wednesday and/or Thursday before the July 18th opening. Begins did roughly $75M, but that was with Wednesday midnight to Sunday numbers, IIRC. Of course, some people were mentally retarded and could not understand that this was a totally different franchise than the previous Batman films, and that could have hurt it slightly that first weekend. I remember constant arguments of, "It's not a good prequel to the '89 film" all over the net back then.

Based on the good reviews of Begins, Joker being the main villain in this, the fact that Ledger died right after making this, and the viral marketing getting people amped up to see it, I will say that it will be slightly over $100M like Iron Man. It would be awesome if it did $150M that first weekend, but I doubt it will. If it does, I hope Nolan and Bale go ahead and do the third part in two years instead of 3, and I hope they throw enough money at them to make a 4th and 5th so we can really do all the storylines fans have wanted from the comics.

I think it would be best to keep it as a trilogy.

Why? I would love to see Knightfall made into a movie by Nolan and Bale, and I think the Dark Knight Returns would be a good story to end the series on. Most likely, the next movie is going to be mostly about Two Face, so I think that would make for a pretty good 5 movie arc.

Without cheesing up the bad guys like the old movies did I would love to see this series go on and on as long as they can make them good. I think The Riddler and Poison Ivy could be done great now that they've taken the camp out of these movies.

I agree. I also think Nolan is missing the boat on the Penguin. Bob Hoskins playing Cobblepot, a nightclub owner who runs guns would rock. The dude doesn't need to look exactly like a penguin or anything, just have an affinity for birds and be short and stocky. Make him an eccentric guy that dresses up and carries umbrellas with hidden weapons in the end (gas, spear, darts).

Why? I would love to see Knightfall made into a movie by Nolan and Bale, and I think the Dark Knight Returns would be a good story to end the series on. Most likely, the next movie is going to be mostly about Two Face, so I think that would make for a pretty good 5 movie arc.

A few reasons, the main one being that most film franchises tend to go south after the third one. Also, films just seem to work better as trilogys. That way you can have a conclusive point.

But my other reason (albeit a facetious one) is that I doubt Nolan and Bale would want to keep making these films. Actors and directors want to try new and other things rather than being tied down to the same films over and over again. And if Nolan or Bale were to leave we'd be back Batman and Robin again with new directors, new Batmans and new problems. If Nolan we're to keep this a trilogy and have a logical closure point to the final film, it would be an excellent way to end the series.

I agree. I also think Nolan is missing the boat on the Penguin. Bob Hoskins playing Cobblepot, a nightclub owner who runs guns would rock. The dude doesn't need to look exactly like a penguin or anything, just have an affinity for birds and be short and stocky. Make him an eccentric guy that dresses up and carries umbrellas with hidden weapons in the end (gas, spear, darts).

That's how I prefer him portrayed, just an eccentric crime lord rather than some sort of freak with flying machines. Gotta go back to No Man's Land there, that was a good Penguin arc.

A few reasons, the main one being that most film franchises tend to go south after the third one. Also, films just seem to work better as trilogys. That way you can have a conclusive point.

But my other reason (albeit a facetious one) is that I doubt Nolan and Bale would want to keep making these films. Actors and directors want to try new and other things rather than being tied down to the same films over and over again. And if Nolan or Bale were to leave we'd be back Batman and Robin again with new directors, new Batmans and new problems. If Nolan we're to keep this a trilogy and have a logical closure point to the final film, it would be an excellent way to end the series.

There's like a 3 year break between each movie. How can you get burnt out on that?

There is no reason why more than three films can't succeed. Just because studios have the tendency to botch it doesn't mean the concept doesn't work.

As for the Penguin, he would be one of the easier characters to translate if they do what people here have said and just make him a regular arms dealer or gangster. I think something similar to Philip Seymour Hoffman's character in Mission Impossible 3 or Joe Don Baker's in The Living Daylights would work really well. Especially as a secondary villain to a more emotional one like Two-Face.

Agreed about Penguin being a secondary villian. He works as the main event when it's campy Tim Burton stuff.. but not when it's more serious, otherwise it's just Batman fighting crimelords like Rupert Thorn and that's certainly not going to rake in the dough at the box office, IMO.

I actually prefer Burton's version of the Penguin. From the mobster "gentleman of crime" to a mutated man-bird, it added layers to Cobblepot's character and made him more interesting. It was one of the few times where I thought a major change was better IMO.

There's like a 3 year break between each movie. How can you get burnt out on that?

That's fair enough, but think about it from his point of view. You have a two year gap where you can try new things, then you have to go back and play the same character again for another year.

As I said, I'm being facitious, for all I know, Bale loves playing Batman and wants to do it forever and if he does then fair play. But I don't want him to drop out (or Nolan for that matter) and have replacements.

All I have ever heard was he would not do any that Nolan was not a part of. I had the feeling that if they threw the money at the two of them, Bale and Nolan would come back. After the box office, dvd sales, merchandise/toys/etc., the Batman movies make huuuge profits for everyone involved. If the studios wanted to, they could make sure to get the main cast back.

Keaton was thrown money to do Batman Forever. He only turned it down because it was "too much of a comedy". That's all it takes.

Yeah...I need Bale as my Batman. He plays all sides so well.

He can play wealthy.

He can play womanizer.

He can play revenge.

It's the first Bruce Wayne I've liked. Every other movie I just waited for him to get in the suit...but I found his Wayne in Begins fascinating.

TV Spot #03 is "Hmmmm..."

The Dark Knight isn't making close to $150 million. I'd say an opening weekend of 88 million seems likely

Iron Man made $100 million opening weekend. You honestly think this will make less than that? 120. I'll go middle of the road.

88 million? What kind of random ass prediction is that? Beyond that, ant real reason you don't see this making up to 100 million opening weekend? It's tough to find people not excited about this movie.

Iron Man was the first big summer movie, it came out when people were dying for a big blockbuster. 120 million would make it the fourth highest opening weekend of all time, and I don't see that happening, especially given that the final gross of Batman Begins was 205 million.

88 million puts it in line with X-Men 2, and I think that's how Dark Knight is going to open

Batman Begins suffered from some dumbasses thinking it was merely a continuation of the prior series and no knowledge of its quality, despite 'net hype of it being based more off the comics than any of the other films. Dark Knight is coming off of the prior movie's critical (and box office) success, nearly a year's worth of solid viral marketing, the death of a main actor (Ledger), and hype for said deceased actor's portrayal of the main villain in the title's history. So now, I ask you: with all of this, do you REALLY think this movie, being released in the middle of the summer blockbuster season, won't beat Iron Man, a flick that has gotten rave reviews but with little following?