TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pochorenella

Spider-Man 3

I'll probably go see this over the weekend, likely on Sunday since Saturday is Derby Day here. I have to admit I'm not especially looking forward to it, since I guess I'm one of maybe 10 people who didn't care for Spider-Man 2 much at all (can someone explain why it's supposed to be so much better than #1, cause I just don't see it).

From reading this it sounds like they waste Venom here to push The Sandman?? What the hell is Raimi thinking? Maybe it'll turn out to be good, but the villain rally aspect is starting to seem a bit like the Batman sequels or perhaps the various Universal horror movies of the 40s that had all the major characters, although I like most of those Universal movies anyway.

I had to break the news about how Venom was handled to a co-worker of mine, he was not happy. He told me I could give him full details, so I did.

The more I reflect, I really do think I enjoyed the movie. I just could have enjoyed it... more. Since it was a midnight showing and some of our friends couldn't go with us, we might go again with some other people on Tuesday night. I'm just not as excited at that prospect as I was 5 and 3 years ago.

does Venom's ending lead one to believe he really is dead or did it leave the door open for part 4?

Dr. Connors still has some symbiote in his lab and I think a small piece ran off, but he certainly doesn't escape into the night (he gets blown up) and there is no cliffhanger ending for this film like when Harry found the Goblin closet in #2. It visually implies complete death but this is a comic book movie afterall, so that could mean nothing.

shit...symbiote pieces escaping death...god I hope that doesn't mean Carnage is next. He sucks!

side note: fuck a buncha spoiler tags...dammit, if you come into this thread anytime after the movie has been released, then enter at your own fucking risk.

another side note: there should also be a statue of limitations on when spoiler tags have o be used. If it's been out on DVD for 6 months, then fuck spoiler tags.

I think we had a similar spoiler tag discussion for Episode III, and I agree. The co-worker I was talking to really wants to see the Maximum Carnage storyline translated to film which is why he watned Venom to make it out of the film alive, heh.

I was disappointed, I mean I had a feeling I would be letdown but this was a massive letdown. The movie tries to do way too much and ends up accomplishing nothing.

I think Sandman is the 2nd worst comic book movie villian of all time.

No one will ever be as bad as Arnold's Mr. Freeze.

I usually love Church's work, but there is just nothing to work with here. What a pathetic, sad-sack character.

With me, the first 2 films were able to add just enough cheesyness to be fun. This one has melted cheese on top with cheese on the side, served on a plate of cheese.

SM 1: 8/10

SM 2: 9/10

SM 3: 5/10

Thing is, it's just the friggin Sandman. Thomas Haden Church may well be great in it and they might do the character as well as possible, but the dude is still a 3rd tier jobber heel. It'd be like having The Shocker or something. Or Scorpion.

Honestly I thought Venom would be THE major villain in a movie since he's such a great character. Bah. I'll still go see it, but I'm going in with crossed fingers.

Arnold was hilarious as Mr. Freeze by the way. I mean yeah the way it was written was horrible and completely opposite of the way Freeze is, but Arnold was doing his best.

I hated what they did to Venom, although I loved his suit.

The Harry/Peter/Mary Jane storyline was the best one of the film.

Church did an okay job as Sandman, but what the hell was the point of him being in the movie? It just cheapens the effect of the first half of movie #1, and for what? There was no profound, conclusive ending to Sandman and he wasn't really an endearing character. Less of him and more Venom, please.

I wanted more J.J. Jameson

Why couldn't they hold onto Venom for a fourth movie? He was SO shortchanged here.

I would've loved some actual background on the symbiote. Where did it come from? What WAS it? What happened to the sample Dr. Conner had?

Overall, this movie, for all its interweaving storylines and general plot congestion, really wasn't very deep at all. Not nearly as thoughtful as the first two.

Although it was entertaining, I just feel empty after watching it.

But I will catch it again, for sure.

Have to echo 2Golds thoughts here. Reminded me of X3 where they crammed two movies into one and ended up with a mess.

Venom seemed like a complete afterthought. Hey, I'm Venom now, better grab MJ (a villain must have), set the trap, oops now I lost?!?. I never read the comics, but I did watch the animated series and Venom seemed to fuck with Peter for a while certainly at least 1 movies worth of material. Here it was like they had a movie, but decided if this was going to be the last Tobey/Kirsten/Raimi Spidey then they wanted to use up Venom and threw him in there.

I was hoping they'd have Peter inadvertantly kill Harry with the black suit, then force him into some sort of major guilt trip and end on Brock revealing himself in the church, as there's enough for another movie there. Peter could be completely guilty conscious for the first half of a fourth movie, while dealing with Venom who's unstoppable and ruthless, and if they needed something more they could tie-in Dr. Connors/The Lizard into guilt trip over the loss of a friend. Or maybe Mysterio with how he plays on Spiderman's senses and how Venom is able to really bypass Pete's spidey sense, among other things, and Mysterio would have played more of a number two whereas I feel Connors has a lot more to him.

Is there supposed to be another movie?

Raimi said there will be a 4th movie, but he doesn't know if he's directing it or not. He hasn't been signed for it officially.

shit...symbiote pieces escaping death...god I hope that doesn't mean Carnage is next. He sucks!

side note: fuck a buncha spoiler tags...dammit, if you come into this thread anytime after the movie has been released, then enter at your own fucking risk.

another side note: there should also be a statue of limitations on when spoiler tags have o be used. If it's been out on DVD for 6 months, then fuck spoiler tags.

Yeah, while the movie is out, there will be spoiler tags.

I might want to know how good a movie is without being spoiled.

I actually liked this movie. Not as good as 2 but better than 1. I give it a B+.

It was a solid superhero flick but didn't have the sort of memorable and sharp script that Spidey 2 had. Not enough development of some things, just kinda sloppy, but fun. I really think this movie could have been killer had they ditched either Sandman or Venom, and devoted time to the other. The Harry stuff was great.

The odd thing about wasting Venom here is that Venom is probably the only character in the Spidey series that you could feasibly do a spinoff movie with.

From what I'm hearing it sounds like he's used worse here than Bane was in Batman and Robin. I say this because Bane was more plot device than interesting character in the Batman books, and he really had no lasting impact once the Knightfall storyline was over. Venom however? He's a very popular character, actually has a bit of depth to him (as in he's heelish but in his own conflicted mind believes he's the hero), and looks cool as hell. At the least he's worth being a main heel in a Spider-Man movie.

I felt like I just watched Spiderman 3 and 4. They could of cut a good 30 minutes off of this. Too many bad gags going on way too long. And why was I forced to listen to MJ sing... twice? Sandman and Vemon teaming up? Stupid. And Sandman is allowed to go on stealing money, but its ok, because its for his daughter? Umm... forgiving is nice Peter, but the guy still has to pay for his crimes.

Kirsten Dunst is looking rough.

I enjoyed Ghostrider more. At least it was entertaining in a so bad its good sort of way. This was just overlong and completely product driven, with a bad drama overwhelming it all.

Kirsten Dunst is looking rough.

I thought she looked much better here than in SP2, relatively of course. From the coffee house scene on in 2 she was downright hideous.

Also, I know it has already been jumped on by the critics but the butler's "oh by the way Harry" scene was fucking ridiculous.

Yeah. I couldn't help but groan at that. No reason he couldn't have brought that up, oh...say during the last movie?

A lot of the fight dialogue was totally b-movie camp.

"...now I'll kick your little ass!"

Oh, Dunst is a screaming, redheaded piece of meat here.

I thought the move was incredible. the only thing I was disapointed with was that Sandman was featured as the Main villian of the film and not venom. Sandman isn't even that popular of a villian while venom seems to have his own fanbase. and everything felt. well, kinda rushed. and gwen stacey wasn't really needed is the movie IMO. and I think they showed Venom way to much without his mask. other than that. the movie was great.

The secretary/ JJ BUZZ scene was hillarious.

also, I don't know about everyone else, but the scene where Marko first becomes Sandman amazed me. The music along with the CGI of the sand coming together had me bug-eyed. The way he struggled to support his weight, and also grab the locket was perfect. that was a great scene IMO.

It was bad on so many levels. Venom was mishandled, the whole Butler thing was a HUGE cop-out and pretty ludicrous in general, Harry is all over the place and I'm not even going to mention Parker channelling Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. What the hell was that about? Oh and, frankly, I've seen funerals with less crying.

I didn't like it at all and judging by the theatres reaction, most others didn't either.

I should also add... I hated the plot that played out where Harry forces MJ to breakup with Peter. All she had to say to Peter on the bridge was, "Harry has gone insane and attacked me!" That entire sequence was ridiculous on soooo many levels.

Emo-hair and mascara on Parker when he was wearing the suit was hilariously over-the-top. Think you've given us enough of a visual cue? ;)

I really liked it.

The only problem I had with the movie was not enough Venom, and killing off Eddie Brock. If they do a fourth one, I have no idea how they'd bring him back. I thought Topher Grace did great as Eddie Brock. I felt sympathy for him, and his sarcastic humor also worked well. James Franco also did well, especially the part where he revealed to Peter that he was the other guy. That part was hilarious. The ending reminded me of wrestling with Harry making the save. It was cheesy but stuff like this happens all the time in the cartoon and the comics, so it was cool