TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Open the Muggy Gate

The Undertaker tears his bicep.

Yeah, seriously. Benoit is one of those guys like Jericho & Guerrero that will always be those 1-time champions. People need to realize he won't ever get it again.

Yeah, seriously. Benoit is one of those guys like Jericho & Guerrero that will always be those 1-time champions. People need to realize he won't ever get it again.

Well its gona be hard for Eddie to win the belt back since he is dead.

In regards to those hopeful of Mark Henry returning to the main event. Supposedly he returned at an OVW show a couple weeks back against one of the former Spirit Squad members. The reporter said Henry looked to legitimately be pushing 475-500 lbs, and was barely mobile. My best guess here is if Undertaker is deemed ok for one more match, he drops the belt fairly quickly to either Kennedy or Batista in a match tonight.

You can do a one night 16 man tournament and the Khali-Cena match as the headline. Just avoid the battle royal rehash.

I'm all for a tournament, especially instead of a lame battle royal, but a one night 16 man tourney? You realize that's 15 matches, right? No thanks. I'd like to see a little more KOTR 93 and a little less SS 98. Eight is the perfect number for a one-night wrestling tournament.

If Bob got warned for his comment, Hawk should too.

My warn was rescinded.

A shame Taker can't work Judgement Day- they should still find a way for him to lose it in the ring.

Yeah, seriously. Benoit is one of those guys like Jericho & Guerrero that will always be those 1-time champions. People need to realize he won't ever get it again.

Benoit is a two-time world champion, although I agree he probably won't get a world title again.

You can do a one night 16 man tournament and the Khali-Cena match as the headline. Just avoid the battle royal rehash.

I'm all for a tournament, especially instead of a lame battle royal, but a one night 16 man tourney? You realize that's 15 matches, right? No thanks. I'd like to see a little more KOTR 93 and a little less SS 98. Eight is the perfect number for a one-night wrestling tournament.

Traditionally, 16 man one nighters have a bye involved and a couple quick but hot brawls. You can have 7-8 regular timed matches with a couple brief matches in that scenario and you can save on time by leading into the next match instantly. It just takes a bit of precise timing. You can still have intrigue of a larger tournament and provide quality.

It doesn't really matter because I don't think we'll see a tournament at all.

Actually from a technical standpoint Benoit is only a 1 time world champ. Yeah, he did beat Sid in that Souled Out 2000 match but Arn Anderson reversed it the next night (Sid's foot was under the rope) and Benoit was stripped of the belt. People only say Benoit "held" the title because he left WCW immediately after that. If for instance he had stayed and they did the same finish would anyone say he'd technically been world champ? Nope. It'd be your typical Dusty Finish.

There's plenty of lackluster ways they can go with this, none truly awful aside from Henry getting the belt for any amount of time. Kane would be okay albeit uninspired. Batista again would be "eh." I actually kinda like that RVD idea of dangling the world title as a carrot to get him to sign, since there are some fresh matchups with him on SD and possible ECW crossover that could help both brands. That is a reach right now though.

Comparing Hawks statement to Bob's is ridiculous. At least what Hawk said is logical, and a very true statement.

My warn was rescinded.

A shame Taker can't work Judgement Day- they should still find a way for him to lose it in the ring.

Because you whined and cried about it so much.

A tournament would be the best option for this situation. It allows a greater volume of talent (obviously) to get some spotlight, and makes the title seem actually important.

Actually from a technical standpoint Benoit is only a 1 time world champ. Yeah, he did beat Sid in that Souled Out 2000 match but Arn Anderson reversed it the next night (Sid's foot was under the rope) and Benoit was stripped of the belt. People only say Benoit "held" the title because he left WCW immediately after that. If for instance he had stayed and they did the same finish would anyone say he'd technically been world champ? Nope. It'd be your typical Dusty Finish.

The difference is that he was stripped of it for leaving, not because of a controversial finish to the match. Had he stayed, he still would have been champion.

Well, WWE recognizes Benoit as a former WCW Champion, and they're the authority nowadays.

Comparing Hawks statement to Bob's is ridiculous. At least what Hawk said is logical, and a very true statement.

My warn was rescinded.

Because you whined and cried about it so much.

If I had not pointed it out, the mods wouldn't have realised that it was BS. I do think Choken's comments about Benoit fans was unecessary though.

I really don't like HTQ's idea of Kennedy cashing in MITB. If they're going to do a one night tournament, make it 8-men, not 16. A one-night 16 man tournament is just too much.

Benoit won the belt and then was stripped of it. So it counts I believe.

Arn Anderson said the next night on Nitro that he made a bad call, and it wouldn't be fair to Benoit to just give the title back to Sid because there was a chance Benoit could have still beat him, so the title change was being nullified and the title vacated.

So where the fuck are the Smackdown spoilers? It's been over two and a half hours since the show ended.

Arn Anderson said the next night on Nitro that he made a bad call, and it wouldn't be fair to Benoit to just give the title back to Sid because there was a chance Benoit could have still beat him, so the title change was being nullified and the title vacated.

Wow, quit being so naive and such a blind mark. Obviously Arn Anderson is going to say that, because the man who had just won the companies Heavyweight championship thanked them by saying "Fuck you, I'm gone."

I agree with Bob, a 16 man, one night tournament would be outrageous to say the least. Logically, they should have a certain number of matches per show, leading up to the semi-finals and finals being at a PPV.

Wow, quit being so naive and such a blind mark. Obviously Arn Anderson is going to say that, because the man who had just won the companies Heavyweight championship thanked them by saying "Fuck you, I'm gone."

How is recapping what Arn Anderson said make me a naive, blind mark? They covered their bases and had their excuses ready to fully explain why Benoit wasn't ever recognized as a champ instead of a champ who got stripped of his belt.

I guess all the Benoit-was-never-WCW-champ talk makes your diaper dirty. Quit being a shithead to people in the thread, Mr. wannabe elite pro wrestling backstage authority.

Traditionally, 16 man one nighters have a bye involved and a couple quick but hot brawls. You can have 7-8 regular timed matches with a couple brief matches in that scenario and you can save on time by leading into the next match instantly. It just takes a bit of precise timing. You can still have intrigue of a larger tournament and provide quality.

It doesn't really matter because I don't think we'll see a tournament at all.

Agreed that it doesn't matter, but I've still got to disagree with you on the 16 man tourney. I'll even give you two byes to get rid of two matches, and only one other non-tournament match, like a Cena defense as you suggested, and you've still got 14 matches. Considering you're lucky to get 95-100 minutes of actual in-ring time on a PPV, the best case scenario is an average of six or seven minutes per match. Just look at it like this- there would be eight first round matches alone, which is enough for an entire show. How much of the show would you like to devote to those eight matches? Why throw eight five-minute matches out there? It's pointless. Plus, with so many tourney matches, it's best to include a separate title match, a tag team match, and/or maybe even a women's match just to break up the monotony of the one-on-one matches. With a sixteen man tourney, it's even more necessary to have those breaks, and even more difficult to do. Whenever they've tried bloated tournaments, they've failed. Survivor Series 98 was brutal and Wrestlemania IV was about twelve hours long and still featured a bunch of pointless matches. I still think KOTR 93 is the smoothest example of a PPV tournament.

Not to mention that I don't think there's 16 even semi-justifiable "contenders" on Smackdown to throw into this thing. Batista, Kennedy (and in storyline terms why would Kennedy even want to go through three or four opponents in one night to win the title when he can have an automatic shot anyway?), Kane, Benoit... you could throw guys like MVP, Matt Hardy, and Finlay in there, which is fine, but if you expand to 16, you'd have to include straight-up filler like Boogeyman, Yang, and seven other guys on that level.

Anyway, I'm not a typical Benoit fanboy, but I really don't think it'd be a terrible idea to give him the belt. Batista's last reign was brutal, there are no fresh matchups for him on top, and it's better to go back to someone reliable like Benoit instead of hotshotting it onto someone like Kennedy too early. I've never been a big Kane fan, but I guess that wouldn't be too terrible either, and as was mentioned, I could definitely see Vince's mentality of "relying on the big guys in a time of crisis" coming into play here.

How is recapping what Arn Anderson said make me a naive, blind mark? They covered their bases and had their excuses ready to fully explain why Benoit wasn't ever recognized as a champ instead of a champ who got stripped of his belt.

I guess all the Benoit-was-never-WCW-champ talk makes your diaper dirty. Quit being a shithead to people in the thread, Mr. wannabe elite pro wrestling backstage authority.

Of course you were recapping ;) My mistake.

What?

I just think people who randomly insult people for no reason for the sake of thinking they look cool doing it deserve painful cancer. That is all.

I just think people who randomly insult people for no reason for the sake of thinking they look cool doing it deserve painful cancer. That is all.

1. That's your biggest problem.

2. You know it.

3. There's non-painful cancer?

4. Please, god, let it be so.

People that are easily BUTT hurt after a internet message board argument should seriously reevaluate their current situation in life.

This sucks. This REALLY sucks! I was absolutely loving Taker's reign as champ.

A credit to Mark is the fact that during his match at Backlash, he didn't even look hurt. He managed to work the entire match well.

This makes you stupider than anything Enigma says. Eddie did not win the title post-mortem, duh. And claiming Bob's statement is not true... so you must think Eddie is alive and well then. Judging from what you consider true and not true.

So where the fuck are the Smackdown spoilers? It's been over two and a half hours since the show ended.

I just checked a bunch of sites and still no reports. Not even notes from the show. I'm guessing Taker didn't drop the title.