TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Human Fly

Chris Benoit Dead - Toxicology results released

Fox just interviewed Terri Runnels, where did they dig her up. She didn't say much.

They just said that Benoits doctor gave him a 10 month supply of steroids every 3 months

Yeah, I just saw that on PWInsider.

EPORT: BENOIT DOCTOR GAVE BENOIT A '10 MONTH' SUPPLY OF STEROIDS EVERY 3-4 WEEKS FOR A YEAR

by Mike Johnson @ 4:00:00 PM on 7/2/2007

Fox News just reported that the investigation into Chris Benoit's doctor revealed that Dr. Phil Astin is accused with supplying "Benoit with a ten month supply of steroids, every three or four weeks, from May 2006 to May 2007."

Fox News also interviewed former WWE Diva Terri Runnels

Holy shit.

In the public indictment for the doctor, for the prescription painkillers, the initials "MJ" and "OG" are used for clients. OG could be Rey Mysterio, since his real name is Oscar Gutierrez.

Wasn't he one of the guys named earlier this year?

I found this from the USA today in March '04:

Jerry McDevitt, the outside legal counsel for McMahon's wrestling organization, contends testing "just doesn't work" because wrestlers can fake urine tests or use designer steroids that are undetectable. "Anybody who wants to beat it can beat it. The only ones who are caught are stupid," he says.

From PWTorch:

- USA Today boxing analyst Jon Saraceno has a column today on the corpses piling up in the wrestling business. He interviews Larry Hennig to discuss Curt's death three years ago. "We don't have bad days - we have bad minutes," said Larry Hennig. "We'll never get over that. Just remember that every wrestler who passed away had a family. What can they do now?"

Saraceno writes that he tried to press Hennig to describe the troubling mortality trend, and what factors cause so many deaths in wrestling. Protective of the business like most old-school wrestlers, Hennig asked, "There are already laws in place, aren't there?"

USA Today Column

- In his column, Saraceno references USA Today's 2004 study of pro wrestling deaths. In a quote that could haunt WWE's claim that Chris Benoit tested negative for steroids in April, WWE attorney Jerry McDevitt told USA Today in 2004 that testing "just doesn't work" because wrestlers can fake urine tests or use designer steroids that are undetectable. "Anybody who wants to beat it can beat it. The only ones who are caught are stupid," he says, giving credence to the belief that it's an IQ test, not a drug test.

Other quotes from the 2004 article:

Vince McMahon on the belief that WWE has contributed to a significant number of wrestler deaths: "That's a cop-out. These guys took steroids because they wanted to. Because we are the most visible organization, we get the black eye. It is alarming whenever young people pass away from these insidious causes, but you can't help someone if they don't want to help themselves."

Roddy Piper on his experiences with drug use: "I experienced what we in the profession call the 'silent scream' of pain, drugs and loneliness. You're in your hotel room. You're banged up, numb and alone. You don't want to go downstairs to the bar or restaurant. The walls are breathing. You don't want to talk. Panic sets in and you start weeping. It's something all of us go through."

John Cena: "Steroids and painkillers (aren't) a professional choice but a lifestyle. I've learned to play in pain. If it's a serious enough injury, I take time off.""

Raven: "It's part of the job. If you want to be a wrestler, you have to be a big guy, and you have to perform in pain. If you choose to do neither, pick another profession."

(Thanks to Torch reader Ivan Trembow and VIP member East Coast J for contributing)

In the public indictment for the doctor, for the prescription painkillers, the initials "MJ" and "OG" are used for clients. OG could be Rey Mysterio, since his real name is Oscar Gutierrez.

Wasn't he one of the guys named earlier this year?

Yes. He was one of the names mentioned in the Florida investigation. He was named in a Sports Illustrated article.

Was Benoit's Son Really Sick?

http://www.tmz.com/2007/07/02/was-benoits-son-really-sick/

Amid reports that WWE wrestler Chris Benoit allegedly injected his son with hormones because of a health condition, Scott Ballard, District Attorney of Fayette County, Ga., just released this statement:

"There are additional reports that contradict the earlier information that suggested that Daniel Benoit may have suffered from Dwarf Syndrome or Fragile X Syndrome. Daniel's family denies that he suffered from either condition. As a result of the family's concerns, the Fayette County Sheriff's investigators and the District Attorney's Office have inquired into this matter. A source having access to certain of Daniel's medical reports reviewed those reports, and they do not mention any pre-existing mental or physical impairment. Reports from Daniel's educators likewise contradict the claims that Daniel was physically undersized. The educators report that Daniel graduated kindergarten and was prepared to enter the first grade on par with the other

Guest Hasbeen2

Why is this being covered on ESPN, ini sports sections, etc when we've been told for years it's not a sport.

The fact he wasn't undersized could be due to the growth hormone, but it's an interesting point. According to Meltz, there were a lot of people angrily rejecting the thought that Daniel had Fragile X.

If Rey is OG, who is MJ? Jindrak? Jennetty? Or, more likely, some non-wrestler.

It's being covered by ESPN foremost because of the magnitude of the story, but also because the issue is similar to issues other sports face (steroids, drugs).

I have a hard time believing Benoit was doing ten months of steriods in 3 weeks. He probably was selling to others backstage.

I have a hard time believing Benoit was doing ten months of steriods in 3 weeks. He probably was selling to others backstage.

Could be he was stockpiling in case Astin got caught.

So, if Daniel didn't have a medical condition, then Benoit didn't kill him out of fear he wouldn't be taken care of properly. So, why did he do it?

Insanity would still be the prevalent assumption.

Oh, I'm just waiting for Nancy Grace to screw up and think Dr. Astin is Stone Cold Steve Austin.

First thing I thought as well, Benoit had to be selling the roids to others. If he was juicing that much his heart would have been the size of a beach ball.

WWE is screwed, their reports of a clean drug test, and their whole system, is a joke now.

Guest Smues

What time is Warrior supposed to be on tonight? I don't want to miss that.

First thing I thought as well, Benoit had to be selling the roids to others. If he was juicing that much his heart would have been the size of a beach ball.

WWE is screwed, their reports of a clean drug test, and their whole system, is a joke now.

lol man that is an understatement.

lol man that is an understatement.

Can they argue he came up with some elaborate way to cheat it?

i think WWE will be fine after all this but not without a couple of gunshot wounds, i think out of this WWE will lose a few big names because they dont wanna get roped into the media firestorm, but then again who really knows

With airport security being so tight how are these wrestlers traveling with all the drugs?

How everyone else smuggles drugs these days, secret compartments and up their asses.

There's mail order stuff and other things the internet you can get these to piss clean or at least screw up the results so they get disregarded. Mostly milkshakes/smoothies oddly enough. Depending what steroids he was using they may have been easier to mask than something like Winstrol and used one of these products.

With airport security being so tight how are these wrestlers traveling with all the drugs?

How everyone else smuggles drugs these days, secret compartments and up their asses.

They have 'prescriptions' for most of these drugs.

Like I posted above, from USA Today in March of '04:

Jerry McDevitt, the outside legal counsel for McMahon's wrestling organization, contends testing "just doesn't work" because wrestlers can fake urine tests or use designer steroids that are undetectable. "Anybody who wants to beat it can beat it. The only ones who are caught are stupid," he says.

--If the revelation that Chris Benoit was getting ten months worth of steroids every three to four weeks from Dr. Phil Astin is accurate, it is beyond devastating for WWE. U.S. attorney David Nahmias reported that on average, Benoit was getting a ten month supply of steroids every three to four week during a period from May 4, 2006, and May 9, 2007, from Dr. Astin. The April 10, 2007, drug test that Benoit passed was right in the middle of that period, which is why this charge is the most devastating to the company since the deaths themselves.

Whether fair or not, to the public, it is a complete credibility loss when it comes to the drug policy that the company can't afford at this time. And quite frankly, since Benoit was regularly tested during this entire one year period, it is impossible to have confidence in the drug policy with the release of this information. Benoit was off for several months in 2006 and likely not tested during this period, but he should have been tested at least four times minimum during a period it would appear he was taking heavy doses of steroids. As noted in this week's issue, he and his wife were arguing over his increased use of steroids at the same time he was subject to a drug testing policy.

The announcement that Benoit passed his 4/10 steroid test, even if he did, is one that can't hold up to public opinion with the revelation in this indictment, because it covers a period well into the Wellness policy. A key point of this is unlike with Balco, where they were using designer drugs that could beat the tests, Astin was prescribing Benoit regular steroids, so either the testing is incredibly flawed, Benoit had a way to easily beat the tests, or the tests themselves were a sham. I strongly believe the latter is not the case, but I also believe the latter will be the conclusion most will come to. This is the first time when I truly fear that wrestling as we know it not only will be undergoing great changes, but that as bad as Vince McMahon's reputation is in some circles, and even with his history of rebounding from negatives, this will tarnish it to a level that he may never live to fully turn around. There will be a far increased number of cries in the media over the next week, which have already started, to do something about the industry. Between the advertisers, sponsors, and those action figures with the muscular physiques, this is not a story going away soon.

--Astin was indicted on seven federal counts of distributing painkillers in an illegal manner, as in for reasons other than the treatment of disease. The names of people he is accused of doing this with were not released. It is not known whether any of the people named in the sealed indictment are pro wrestlers, but it is known Chris Benoit is not one of them. The raid of Astin's office included looking at medical records to see if he was appropriately prescribing steroids to Benoit. The indictment regarded prescribing drugs like percoset, vidoprofen, xanax, lorcet and adderall to men with initials M.J. and O.G.

--Prosecutors are seeking forfeiture of all property and proceeds Astin obtained through his conduct if he is convicted.

--Prosecutor Scott Ballard of Fayette County stated he currently has no plans on filing any charges against anyone involved in the case.

--In the second raid of Dr Astin's office, Federal agents removed huge amounts of material including filled up boxes, computer and entire file cabinets.

--WWE told Newsday today that it will make any improvements necessary in its Wellness policy, but didn't give any details. The company today said its policy is one of the most aggressive in sports and that it is unique for an entertainment company. They said the policy sends a clear message the company finds the abuse of drugs and steroids to be unacceptable. However, based on who they push, one could say there are more than just mixed messages out there.

--Even worse for WWE, Ballard said there are reports that contradict the information Daniel Benoit was suffering from Fragile X syndrome. Ballard said a source with access to Daniel's medical records shows no mention of any mental or physical impairment. Reports from his teacher also contradicted the claim, saying he was prepared this year to go into first grade on par with the other students in his class.

Among the more notable of the latest Benoit newsbits.

I would say that the majority of the drugs were carried with them when they were on the road, and not when they were flying. Speculation on ways around that would be mailing it to themselves if they had to fly (wouldn't work in every case); paying a production truck driver to stash it in the back as they travel to the other shows; or mailing it back home.

They know weeks and sometimes months in advance where they will be going. If they have to fly, they can think of ways around it. Perhaps they simply didn't take it with them at all when they would be flying.

I don't see how it's that devastating for WWE. Every professional sport has a credibility problem with their testing programs that surfaces anytime you put five minutes of thought into the subject. The bottom line comes down to whether or not the mainstream really cares. Did the general population think at any point that wrestlers were not on steroids? You'd be hard pressed to find someone who thought they were ever clean.

To most observers, wrestlers on steroids is old news.

Here's a link:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archiv...071benoit1.html

It's a copy of the search warrant on Dr. Astin on the Smoking Gun.

Now, IMO, the pieces are finally falling into place.

Apparently the DEA were already aware Benoit's prescription habits from another investigation. Found out from that how much, which drugs, and who from (Dr. Astin).

My theory:

Benoit found out the DEA were onto him. Explains a "call home for emergency", if there actually was one. ("Honey, some DEA agents came to the door asking for you...") No one is sure when or if call was placed.

Explains Benoit's acts, as much as they can be explained----threat of jail, trial, job & career loss, divorce, loss of access to son, etc.

Explains why the WWE are on their hind legs trying to take the focus off steroids. Explains why WWE would quickly offer the Fragile X as an alternate expanation for Chris's anxiety.

Explains why Benoit was such a closed-mouth guy who was quiet and kept to himself.

Explains a whole lot.

The only thing it doesn't really explain is the wiki entry. I'll think.

This is just my opinion.

Wrestlers on steroids is old news.

But, wrestlers who murder their family and were found to be obtaining steroids by the truckload while the company says they tested clean is not. With steroids being such a hot issue I have thought that pro wrestling was a powder keg for the past few years. This will be the spark.

I don't see how it's that devastating for WWE. Every professional sport has a credibility problem with their testing programs that surfaces anytime you put five minutes of thought into the subject. The bottom line comes down to whether or not the mainstream really cares. Did the general population think at any point that wrestlers were not on steroids? You'd be hard pressed to find someone who thought they were ever clean.

They've never been under the spotlight as part of a double murder/suicide investigation before, with the media looking to pin it on 'roid rage'. On it's own, no, wrestlers being on steroids isn't a big deal as far as it being news, but when you've got a major ongoing story like a double murder/suicide, then WWE trying to play down the role of steroids in a manner which can only highlight how poor their testing policy actually is, it doesn't exactly make them look good to a public who already have a low opinion of them to begin with.