TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Human Fly

Chris Benoit Dead - Toxicology results released

I'm hearling alot of people say they'll never be able to watch another Benoit match again. I'm the exact opposite, know about him what I know now, his matches are more facinating to me than they ever were. I seriously get chills watching him walk to the ring. Go back and watch any of his matches in the WWF in 2000, it's like you're watching some kind of horror movie.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll...0/NEWS/70630015

This article suggests that Benoit's GHB habit may have played a role in what happened. He apparently did GHB with Chris Adams, and we all know what happened with him. I had no clue Benoit abused that drug or that he did it with Adams. That theory is more believible than the "roid rage" hypothesis.

NEW YORK — When authorities raided the Georgia home of wrestler Chris Benoit last week, they discovered a stockpile of anabolic steroids and prescription drugs, enough to spark the theory that Benoit descended into a violent “roid rage” and, police say, murdered his wife and 7-year-old son and then killed himself.

But in the wake of the lurid events that played out in suburban Atlanta last weekend, the New York Daily News has learned that another drug may have been part of a deadly cocktail that could have caused Benoit to snap. According to sources familiar with his drug regimen, Benoit was a known abuser of the drug gamma-hydroxybutyrate — or GHB, also known as the “date-rape drug.” Benoit was known to have used GHB with former wrestler “Gentleman” Chris Adams when both men competed for the now-defunct World Championship Wrestling (WCW) in the late `90s. They used the drug together until Adams’ death in 2001, according to sources who knew both men, and friends say Benoit was still using it as recently as two years ago.

“Benoit was a GHB user and he did it with Chris Adams,” the source told The News. “The question is, does GHB use play into what happened (in Fayetteville)?”

Authorities are still waiting for toxicology results on Benoit — whose stage name was “The Canadian Crippler” — but would be unable to detect GHB in his system without a complicated test conducted on his hair sample. Still, Benoit’s past use of GHB opens up the seamy side of the wrestling world — one filled with hulking men who pile-drive their opponents while scantily clad women parade nearby. Professional wrestling is a “sport” that has long been saddled with accusations of rampant steroid and drug use.

“Everybody in the wrestling business had a liking for GHB back (in the `90s),” says a Benoit family friend. “The whole business was on it.”

GHB, which increases sexual prowess and boosts energy among other effects, is a Schedule I controlled substance commonly referred to as the “date-rape drug” and is illegal.

The Benoit family friend corresponded with Nancy Benoit just weeks before her death but noticed nothing unusual. “She told me, `I’m driving Chris crazy, but it’s a short trip,”’ the friend says with a laugh. “I don’t think this is a monster acting out. I really don’t buy that.”

The same cannot be said for the British-born Adams, who was indicted on manslaughter charges after his girlfriend, Linda Kaphengst, died of a GHB-alcohol overdose in April 2000. But before Adams could stand trial, he was involved in a violent scuffle with friend Brent Parnell, before Parnell shot Adams to death with a .38-caliber gun in late 2001 near Dallas.

Mickey Grant, a Texas-based filmmaker who recently completed a documentary on Adams, says that “both Chris’s (Adams and Benoit) were friends at WCW” and that another wrestler confided to Grant that Benoit and Adams were “G buddies,” a reference to GHB’s common street name.

Grant, who knew Adams for over two decades, says he never saw the two wrestlers using the drug, but was devastated by Adams’ “life gone to hell” as a result of his GHB addiction. “G, in my opinion, is a far worse drug than even crack (cocaine),” says Grant.

In the Benoit case, authorities found Nancy with her feet and wrists bound, and indications are Benoit used a chord to strangle her while applying his knee to her back. Daniel was suffocated. After the murders, Benoit reportedly placed a Bible next to each body and later hung himself using a weight-machine pulley in his workout room.

If Benoit was indeed still using GHB — or if he was trying to kick a habit and suffering from withdrawal — it is likely he would have become violent.

“You see guys that are on (GHB) who go on rages,” says Trinka Porrata, a retired Los Angeles police detective who is president of the non-profit Project GHB and who has counseled and detoxed GHB addicts, including several professional wrestlers. “But another possibility, which is more likely, is GHB withdrawal. If (Benoit) tried to stop using it and went into withdrawal, that would explain the bizarre behavior — the text messages, the Bible and the suicide especially. You can suffer a terrible depression coming off this stuff. It’s not a quit cold turkey drug.”

Porrata adds that it is not uncommon for GHB users to add methamphetamine into the mix, and that meth abuse often contributes to bizarre acts involving religion.

“The question everybody asks is, `How in the hell could you kill your son?’ Well, in a meth psychosis, your son could be the devil. That can happen quite easily,” says Porrata.

Benoit composed a bizarre series of text messages to several colleagues during the weekend of his killing spree, including one where he wrote out his full, formal Georgia address. In another, he stated that “the dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open.” In a voice mail to a colleague, Benoit said “I love you,” which the colleague said was “out of context.”

Porrata says that the more severe state of GHB withdrawal — as opposed to addiction — requires at least a 14-day detox period under the care of a physician or health professional. She says the suffering is more intense and debilitating than coming off a heroin addiction.

“There’s sweating, your blood pressure rises in days one and two,” Porrata says. “Then the psychosis starts. Days four, five and six are the worst. You hallucinate and there can often be violence accompanied with it. By day 11, the head starts to clear, but you are left with an intense depression.”

The Georgia medical offices of Benoit’s personal physician, Dr. Phil Astin, were raided by Drug Enforcement Agency agents Thursday, but the records remain sealed. Astin has stated that he has prescribed testosterone to Benoit, who had low levels attributed to rampant steroid use. Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard and Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office did not return calls from The News, and it is unclear if authorities were planning to test Benoit for GHB use.

Many law enforcement agencies, Porrata says, still fail to administer the test.

Michael Benoit, the wrestler’s father, said last week that he hopes toxicology tests will help explain his son’s actions.

Says Porrata: “We try to put things in our own terms, `Well, I couldn’t kill my own child.’ Yeah, but if you were on GHB or were psychotic, a mental illness or (something) drug-induced, it’s not a rational act. It doesn’t excuse it, but you can’t explain it on your own moral values.”

The GHB route does seem to make a bit more sense. Certainly doesn't excuse what he did, but at least gives us somewhat of a rational behind it

In response to the Benoit/GHB talk, someone on WC posted the following sample from William Regal's book:

GHB - Of all the things that I've taken, GHB has caused me the worst problems. It's a horrible drug and anyone who tells you different is an idiot for saying so.

All sorts of extraordinary claims are made for this stuff. It is supposed to boost your body's growth hormone output and burn body fat. But all it does is screw you up and ruin your life.

Renutrient - GHB was soon banned, but someone had altered the formula slightly so it could be sold legally as a product called Renutrient. It was available everywhere in the United States and had exactly the same affects as GHB.

When I found out about it I started getting it shipped to the house. I discovered a place that would send me boxes of the stuff in two-pint bottles. It was the only stuff I could get which would give me a buzz. It took the edge off, so after a while I was drinking a bottle a day.

By the end things were so bad I'd turned into a recluse. I was a lunatic. I was completely gone. I cleaned myself or shaved very rarely. I showered about every third day. I lay in the bedroom and drunk Renutrient all day long.

And then this, from an interview after the book came out:

William's drug addiction didn't just damage him, he put his loving wife Chris through a living hell.

One Christmas, back at his mother-in-law's house in Blackpool and high on GHB, Regal flipped out, threatened to hit his father-in-law and ended up in hospital - not remembering how he had got there.

"I threatened anyone who came near me," he reveals.

"After that they didn't want me in the house - and quite right too!

"I recently found something else out about that night, from my wife, that's not in the book.

"I always thought I'd given the full story but Chris told me that my heart completely stopped five times, an ambulance came and it had to be restarted while I was lying on the steps.

Will the media report this as the possible reason, or will they continue to focus on steroids because it is a hot button?

I vote steroids.

Read the house show report on WO.com - Orton put Cena in a sharpshooter and asked "why?"

Well, thats ONE way to get heat......

Not as a typical Shithead Orton thing, though, from the way I read it. Supposedly, he put Cena in the sharpshooter, and then looked up towards the ceiling with a sad, agonized expression on his face and THEN audibly asked "Why?" Sounded awfully weird, but not downright offensive.

Of course, the office might actually punish him worse for this than they did for him trashing a hotel room, smoking a joint in front of the employees, sexually harassing the divas, so forth & so on.

Read the house show report on WO.com - Orton put Cena in a sharpshooter and asked "why?"

Well, thats ONE way to get heat......

Here is the entire bit from WO:

I left out one part of the Orton/Cena match because I thought it was of particular interest. During the match, while Orton is beating down Cena, Orton applies the Sharpshooter. Now, I'm can't be totally sure, but I think I've seen Orton use the Sharpshooter in one match in the last 4 years, and that was at the 2004 Summerslam (although I'm sure he has used it many times before at house shows). He faced none other than Chris Benoit, defeating Chris to become the youngest World Heavyweight Champion in WWE history, which of course was his first title. Anyway, as Orton applies the Sharpshooter to Cena, he gets it locked in tightly. When Orton leans back to apply pressure, he look up toward the sky and says "Why?" I was completely shocked, and I was not the only one to notice this. A few others as well as my brother were amazed. He looked very sad and he destinctly said the word "Why"; this obviously was a reference to Benoit, and if it wasn't, it sure appeared that way. I just found this very interesting and wanted to point it out, because I don't believe everyone who wasn't as close as I was noticed this. He seemed very sincere when saying it and I don't believe it was meant to show any hate towards Chris. I wish I have video the verify my statement, but I assure you I am not making this up.

Now if you really want to talk about using this Benoit story to get cheap heel heat, look no further than the two shitbags Crowza and Woody Numbers from ASW in Virginia. It was reported that at a show on Friday night they cut a promo on someone, using the Benoit story for heel heat, in a very tasteless way.

Guest shoryuken007

It's weird to see Orton affected in that way. I mean, obviously he's a human being, but he's played his character for so long that when this sort of thing happens, you get taken aback. I thought the same thing when Edge gave his testimonial on Raw. Even if Benoit did have this dark side no one knew about, he obviously affected a lot of people in a positive way. Weird, though. I was kind of wondering how Orton was handling it, since Benoit, along with Foley, basically made him as a main eventer.

I'm not sure what to make of the Orton thing since I wasn't there and don't know exactly how it went down. But I really hope they don't try to do a similar spot on TV. The "Why?" part is the odd part. The Sharpshooter is a common enough move that I wouldn't automatically associate it with Benoit if someone did it.

I'm not sure what to make of the Orton thing since I wasn't there and don't know exactly how it went down. But I really hope they don't try to do a similar spot on TV. The "Why?" part is the odd part. The Sharpshooter is a common enough move that I wouldn't automatically associate it with Benoit if someone did it.

At least he didn't do the Crossface, all things considered.

Seriously though, that is just... odd. I'm not one of the many on the 'always crap on Orton' bandwagon, but I'm not sure why he would need to actually do this, obviously to 'send a message to Chris' symbolically, before asking 'why'... I dunno. Just, really weird. I too hope it wasn't anything other than Randy thinking this was the way to do things and maybe not realising what it might look like.

I think Orton just wanted to pay tribute to Benoit but also reflect his own shock at how things went down.

At least he's not on the "rot in hell Benoit!" bandwagon. I doubt many in wwe are, even though vince is trying to erase his existence.

Is Meltzer saying Vince knew before the show started? If anyone knew first, it would be him. But then why is he going to let his daughter and son in law look like fools by airing them paying tribute to a murderer?

You never know with Vince. He has a sick mind, just think about some of the storylines throughout the years.

I wouldn't be surprised that a little part of Vince would have loved Benoit to not commit suicide and to somehow avoid any prison sentence (or minimal sentence) so he could hire him again and turn him into the biggest heel in the company's history. "Hire him" under the excuse that a man is allowed to make a living. If that scenario was at all possible (which is not because Benoit would have been in prison for the rest of his days), there's no doubt in my mind Vince would have considered it.

Don't ever think for a second that Vince McMahon would be the only promoter to ever do that.

If georgia has any type of death penalty, chris benoit would've gotten it.

Except that it's illegal to execute mentally insane criminals, and it's obvious Benoit was mentally insane.

if they found benoit alive, it would've been hard to find him insane. these murders were premeditated.

It's interesting to read that Benoit was thinking for months that someone was out to get him.

Do you guys think he purposely gave that impression to friends (by not allowing Nancy and his kid leave the house, by changing the route he takes from the airport to the house) so that his friends would think it ended up being a triple murder instead of a doublemurder/suicide?

At least he didn't do the Crossface, all things considered.

Seriously though, that is just... odd. I'm not one of the many on the 'always crap on Orton' bandwagon, but I'm not sure why he would need to actually do this, obviously to 'send a message to Chris' symbolically, before asking 'why'... I dunno. Just, really weird. I too hope it wasn't anything other than Randy thinking this was the way to do things and maybe not realising what it might look like.

For some reason I was taking the story in the same way as the story of Sam Kinison's death, with him saying "why" into the sky repeatedly and then solemnly saying "okay" before dying on the side of the road. Like he was being told, somehow, to put the Sharpshooter on Cena for some bizarre reason.

It's interesting to read that Benoit was thinking for months that someone was out to get him.

Do you guys think he purposely gave that impression to friends (by not allowing Nancy and his kid leave the house, by changing the route he takes from the airport to the house) so that his friends would think it ended up being a triple murder instead of a doublemurder/suicide?

Maybe if he hadn't hung himself. But since this isn't the old west, it's doubtful he'd think hanging himself would suggest he'd been murdered.

Nevermind, after reading the report it didn't sound like he was really heeling it up. Might have just slipped out.

Yeah I could have made it clearer and that, but you know, typing from a Wii one letter at a time and not having the ability to C&P a link.

Little recap so far...

- Alvarez was good friends with Benoit. Said that Benoit would complain to him about the state of developmental and the muscleheads coming through.

- Drug usage apparently picked up considerably the last few months. Hardly any breaking news.

- Said Benoit's death on the pully was a slow torturish death, and it wasn't instant.

- Bryan and Dave seem to be refuting each others statements. A little uncomfortable so far. Phone calls to come shortly.