TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Human Fly

Chris Benoit Dead - Toxicology results released

Invite Warrior onto a show to talk about a murderer, in the first 20 seconds he jokes that he's gonna kill the host.

Awesome.

MJ= Mike Jones aka Virgil.

Does he even still wrestle? I thought he was a highschool teacher now, or something. WWE.com just did a Where Are They Now? article on him.

It was really annoying watching the Warrior interview. Not for what he was saying, but just because he was obviously on a time delay of a few seconds and the hosts would ask him something - then he'd listen - but wouldn't answer right away so the hosts would just interrupt when he did try to answer.

MJ= Mike Jones aka Virgil.

Does he even still wrestle? I thought he was a highschool teacher now, or something. WWE.com just did a Where Are They Now? article on him.

Gotta start them young I guess :|

You can say Vince this and Vince that and blame him for roids and all that.......it's every bit as much fans aswell.

Examples, Triple H is off roids and damn near everyone made fun of him for being fat. Rey Mysterio even while being alot bigger than he was once, likely taking something......is still thought of as to small to mainevent by most fans.

Fans absolutely play a role in this "how wrestlers look" thing it's not just Vince McMahon.

I'd aim that stereotype at casual fans - as I myself would rather watch a Steve Corino or a CW Anderson anyday over Bobby Lashley or Batista.

While I'm positive that the casual fans and their money influence what Vince pushes in some effect.. we all know that what Vince wants to get pushed, gets pushed, even if the fans DON'T like it.

Problem is, the casual fans far outweigh the smarks like us, both in number and in $$$ spent (esp. kids) on WWE stuff.

From rajah.com:

WWE 24/7 posted up the latest edition of the "Monday Night Wars" earlier tonight. The program featured the 2/10/97 WCW Monday Nitro and the 2/13/97 Raw (it aired on a Thursday night that year due to the annual dog show on the USA Network). The Raw episode featured the infamous segment in which Shawn Michaels relinquishes his championship belt and talks about "losing his smile." Regarding the Nitro episode, the main event on the show was a match between Chris Benoit & Steve McMichael vs. Chavo Guerrero & Jeff Jarrett. They skipped that match and went straight to a Roddy Piper/nWo segment that closed out the show. The match was edited off the program that was posted on WWE 24/7 earlier tonight. So well, it looks like all Chris Benoit matches are going to be edited off of all programs posted on WWE 24/7 for the foreseeable future, if not forever

So if they really do take all of his matches out of everything, some cards such as Wrestlemania XX and Summerslam 2004 are gonna look weird.

if you don't already have Rumble 03, Rumble 04, WM 20 and Summerslam 04 on DVD on tape somewhere, you might as well forget ever seeing those DVDs again (the exception being Rumble 03 probably) unless you go through means such as Ebay, tape trading, etc. Don't expect them to be on 24/7.

There's a hell of a lot more shows than that which featured Benoit in the main. Remember Fully Loaded and Unforgiven 2000?

And let's not forget Austin vs. HHH at Survivor Series 2000, which features a run-in by the Radicals.

Is Benoit/Jericho from Rumble 2001 and Smackdown's TLC 3 on the Ladder match DVD?

I imagine they'll probably cut his stuff out of 24/7 for the time being, but they won't be recalling or reissuing DVDs or anything else.

From rajah.com:

WWE 24/7 posted up the latest edition of the "Monday Night Wars" earlier tonight. The program featured the 2/10/97 WCW Monday Nitro and the 2/13/97 Raw (it aired on a Thursday night that year due to the annual dog show on the USA Network). The Raw episode featured the infamous segment in which Shawn Michaels relinquishes his championship belt and talks about "losing his smile." Regarding the Nitro episode, the main event on the show was a match between Chris Benoit & Steve McMichael vs. Chavo Guerrero & Jeff Jarrett. They skipped that match and went straight to a Roddy Piper/nWo segment that closed out the show. The match was edited off the program that was posted on WWE 24/7 earlier tonight. So well, it looks like all Chris Benoit matches are going to be edited off of all programs posted on WWE 24/7 for the foreseeable future, if not forever

So if they really do take all of his matches out of everything, some cards such as Wrestlemania XX and Summerslam 2004 are gonna look weird.

I understand that WWE is dealing with something really unprecedented in wrestling but I think editing things in the long run will be ridiculous. Short term, sure.. when it's fresh in people's minds. But I really don't think this will last forever.

And let's not forget Austin vs. HHH at Survivor Series 2000, which features a run-in by the Radicals.

Is Benoit/Jericho from Rumble 2001 and Smackdown's TLC 3 on the Ladder match DVD?

Yes to both, as is the first Money in the Bank match which also featured Benoit.

I still have a tough time believing that warrior is still alive and healthy while others have dropped like flies. And he seems well spoken on top of that.

Actually I went on a Warrior rehash fix a couple weeks ago on youtube. He's the smartest crazy man ever.

MEMBER OF WORLD ANTI-DOPING AGENCY CRITICIZES WWE'S WELLNESS PROGRAM

A Newsday article which covered the latest in the Chris Benoit story has been updated to include comments from Dr. Gary Wadler, who sits on the committee of the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Wadler explained that testing positive under WWE's Wellness Policy requires a higher level of testosterone than tests in other sports. He also criticized WWE for giving test subjects as much as a one hour notification prior to administration and for prohibiting wrestlers from using banned substances only in "non-medical use."

"It's sort of opening up a Pandora's box to define what 'non-medical use' is," said Wadler.

WWE did not respond to specific criticisms, although it did tell Newsday that its policy is "one of the most aggressive of its kind compared to testing programs initiated by competitive sports organizations, and is unique for an entertainment company." It added that it would make any necessary its vision "to send a very clear message that WWE finds the abuse of drugs and steroids to be unacceptable."

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/na...y-rangers-print

I wonder how the WWE will deal with Benoit in the Rumble matches. I get they'll just skip his entrance and he's magically there in the ring already.

Rumble 04 will be weird because Finkel will just mention, "and the man who drew #2" with Benoit already in the ring. Either that or it's joined in progress.

They'll have a flash animation of Frosty The Snowman covering his body for all his matches...

Did I miss something? Why does everyone think the WWE will erase him from history? What a waste of time that would be.

Can anyone think of something like this that has happened in Sports, Music, or Movies in the past? Where the entertainer committed murder, and possibly suicide as well? I've been trying to think of something (haven't done any searches yet though) and haven't been able to come up with anything..

No OJ's please..

Can anyone think of something like this that has happened in Sports, Music, or Movies in the past? Where the entertainer committed murder, and possibly suicide as well? I've been trying to think of something (haven't done any searches yet though) and haven't been able to come up with anything..

No OJ's please..

The closest thing is what happened to comedian and SNL alumni Phil Hartmann. In May 1998, Phil was murdered by his wife, Brynn, and then she committed suicide. All this happened with their two children in his house. They were physically unharmed.

No OJ's please..

The closest thing is what happened to comedian and SNL alumni Phil Hartmann. In May 1998, Phil was murdered by his wife, Brynn, and then she committed suicide. All this happened with their two children in his house. They were physically unharmed.

That came to mind as well. I'm just trying to draw a comparison and see how other companies might have dealt with it.. Hartman I can't really draw too much from since it was his wife that snapped.

Brynn was drunk when it happened. When she realized what she did, she immediately sobered up and contacted a family friend. He came over, saw Phil's body, and called police. While police were attempting to remove the couple's two children from the house, Brynn shot herself in the head.

A neighbor had stated they had marital problems, but didn't think it would go to that point.

The authorities pinpointed the anti-depressant Zoloft, which Brynn had been taking, as what caused her actions. A lawsuit was filed against the manufacturer Pfizer, Inc. as well as Arthur Sorosky, Brynn's psychiatrist who had prescribed her the drug.

CHRIS BENOIT'S MOTHER SAYS THE TRAGEDY COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED

The AP has a new article looking at a DEA investigation into Chris Benoit buying large quantities of steroids prior to the Benoit family deaths. Chris Benoit's mother wonders whether the deaths could have been prevented had the DEA been more aggressive when they discovered Benoit's name. When Benoit's name surfaced, he was not charged, and his supply of steroids was replenished continuously until May.

The DEA told the AP, "It's ridiculous for anyone to think we could have known that anything like that could have happened.'' However, Benoit's mother points to previous investigations of Dr. Phil Astin, which revealed to local authorities that he may have been improperly prescribing medications to patients. The obvious link is that there were two separate investigations that revealed problems with Benoit and Dr. Astin.

Asked if the authorities taking action could have helped Chris deal with his issues, she said, "We would certainly hope so. We just don't know. We're dealing with so many things. It's incredible.''

The DEA said it usually takes years to build a case from investigations to formally arrest or charge offenders. "You don't run out and arrest a doctor for making one prescription that is questionable,'' the DEA told the AP. "There's just not enough evidence to arrest or bring charges. We want to bring charges that are legitimate. Cases take time.''

The new AP article is currently the top Headline news item on ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2925866

if you don't already have Rumble 03, Rumble 04, WM 20 and Summerslam 04 on DVD on tape somewhere, you might as well forget ever seeing those DVDs again (the exception being Rumble 03 probably) unless you go through means such as Ebay, tape trading, etc. Don't expect them to be on 24/7.

Or pawn shops.Those places are gold for me :)

I watched that Nitro from 1997 today and did wonder if they had edited Benoit off the show. This is so idiotic. Because of Benoit they edit another 3 guys off of a show? What will they do with these Nitros when the Horsemen start feuding more with the NWO in 1997? You can't edit Ric Flair and Arn Anderson off every WCW show because Benoit was with them.

To me maintaining the integrity of the broadcast for subscribers is more important than editing someone out. I can only imagine how horrid some of the 2000-01 WWF PPVs will be on 24/7, with the goofy blurred logos ruining the show as well as editing Benoit out of major matches.

I think they may just avoid showing PPVs with Benoit playing a major role.

http://www.georgiawrestlinghistory.com/new...7/07/04-09.html

July 4, 2007

Reports on Benoits One Day Prior to Murderous Weekend

It is being reported that on June 21, the day before investigators say Chris Benoit killed his wife Nancy, that Nancy was still so upset about Sherri Martel’s passing the previous week, with claims that she was a “basket case.”

And Konnan will not be picked up by WWE anytime soon:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_spo...ming_roids.html

Ex-star out to break drugs' hold on WWE

BY CHRISTIAN RED and T.J. QUINN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Wednesday, July 4th 2007, 2:20 AM

amd_mcmahon.jpg

Vince McMahon

Three days after professional wrestler Eddie Guerrero was found in his Minneapolis hotel room, dead at 38 from heart failure, Carlos (Konnan) Ashenoff stood at his friend's funeral and had an epiphany.

"For me, that was it," Ashenoff says, remembering the November 2005 funeral in Arizona. "All these guys are dying and nobody gives a ----."

Ashenoff says he swore off a culture of steroids, painkillers and drugs that was so over-the-top that he and his pals used to keep a "dead pool" with their rowdier friends' names on it, knowing it wouldn't be long before someone collected.

Ashenoff, a legend from his days in the Mexican circuits and a one-time World Championship Wrestling champion, is 43 and semi-retired now, with an artificial hip in his side and a kidney transplant in his near future. The hip degenerated after years of steroid abuse and the physical toll of his sport, and he thinks painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs ruined the kidney.

In the wake of Chris Benoit's murder-suicide rampage, Ashenoff says he is tired of waiting for wrestling to fix itself. Ashenoff wants Congress, state legislatures, anyone with some authority, to step in and force professional wrestling to deal with the drugs that are killing performers at an astonishing rate.

"Everybody - I can guarantee you, 100% from top to bottom - everybody's either on steroids, painkillers, they drink or they take recreational drugs, and in the case of half the guys, all four," he says from his home in Chula Vista, Calif. "Nobody gives a ----. When that baseball player (Orioles pitcher Steve) Bechler died from ephedra, everybody got all upset and reacted and they banned ephedra. (In wrestling), it's all these guys - big names - and, nothing."

Since Benoit's death, the Internet has been awash in lists of wrestlers who have died prematurely. One blogger compiled a list of 98 men and women under the age of 65 who have died since 1985, and he limited the list to names that wrestling fans would recognize. There were accidents, such as Owen Hart's fatal fall from a harness in 1999, but steroid and drug use seemingly have played a part in the overwhelming majority.

Ashenoff is angry about how professional wrestling treats the living, too. His friends and fans helped find a donor and raised money for a transplant operation through the Web site "MySpace." He's meeting with a potential donor within the next week, and plans to have the operation in Mexico to save money.

(See Ashenoff's MySpace page )

Ashenoff recently was interviewed about wrestling's problems on cable television, and several friends in the business called him to complain. He estimates that "80 to 90%" of active wrestlers agree with him, but they know only the biggest, most freakish wrestlers are "pushed" into the limelight, and they don't want to risk alienating themselves from the WWE and its owner, Vince McMahon, by speaking out against the drug culture.

"In our business it was almost like 'omerta,' like in the Mafia. You don't snitch," Ashenoff says. "They say 'you're burying the industry.' I'm like, '---- you guys. Guys are dying, they're leaving families. If anything, I'm trying to make changes to our ---- sport so that Vince won't force you to take steroids."

McMahon and WWE officials have long maintained that they don't force anyone to take steroids, and McMahon was acquitted of charges in 1994 that he provided steroids to his wrestlers. The WWE instituted a steroid testing program after Guerrero's death, but doping experts have ridiculed it as all but toothless. Ashenoff says a close friend of his echoed the company line the other day. "He said what they always say: it's a personal choice. Nobody put a gun to our head. I said, 'Bro, it's impossible for a human being to do what we do without taking what we take. Our brothers are dying.' I said, 'Name one guy who isn't on something.' He couldn't think of anybody."

Ashenoff was friends with Benoit, and says he saw nothing to indicate that Benoit was capable of killing his wife and his son. "That isn't roid rage," he says. "It could be GHB (or its brutal withdrawal process), it could be undiagnosed concussions — all those chair shots to the head. It could be anything."

A veteran congressional staffer says no one is planning hearings on professional wrestling — whether as a workplace safety, public health or interstate commerce issue — but Ashenoff knows what he would say if called to testify.

"No. 1, make sure steroids are out of the equation: you aren't rewarded for using, you're punished for using," he says. "No. 2, with painkillers it's a little harder, but you rotate guys, let them rest, so they're not constantly on the road. Then say, 'You can only have this amount of painkiller in your body. That would cut back on the painkiller use. Right now nothing's being done."

Gary Davis, a spokesman for WWE, says Ashenoff is wrong, that wrestlers are not encouraged or forced to use steroids.

"Not in the WWE," he says.

Davis indicates that the WWE is preparing a wide-ranging statement to deal with the Benoit fallout and the sudden, overwhelmingly negative mainstream attention wrestling has received, but when asked about potential congressional intervention he says, "I really don't want to talk about that at this point."

Ashenoff says he knows by speaking out he has eliminated the possibility of lucrative work with the WWE in his future. But he'll continue to encourage other wrestlers to do the same, although he knows what he's up against.

"The money's too good," he says of WWE life. "And they're the big show in town. Someone's going to have to do something."