TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Human Fly

Chris Benoit Dead - Toxicology results released

I still think congress doing anything with wrestling is a longshot at best at this point.

So, what is the general consensus? Did WWE come out of the report today unscathed, minor hit, or major hit?

I don't think it's changed anyting. The reports came back with the exact results that were predicted all along. The media is still stuck on steroids and there was nothing here to suggest that the story will change.

There have been a lot of questions and confusion over what the difference is between testosterone and steroids. In the search warrant for Dr. Phil Astin's office, the DEA agent said the following regarding those two terms:

--"... (T)estosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group. The original and primary use of testosterone is for the treatment of males who have too little or no natural endogenous testosterone production... Appropriate use for this purpose is legltimate hormone replacement therapy, which maintains serum testotserone levels in the normal range. Over the years, testosterone has also been given for many purposes besides replacement. It may be administered to an athlete in order to improve performance, and is considered to be a form of 'doping' in most sports. There are several application methods for testosterone, including intra-muscular injections, transdermal gels and patches, and implantable pellets. Anabolic steroids (of which testoterone is one) have also been taken to enhance muscle development, strength, or endurance. They do so directly by increasing the muscles' protein synthesis..."

--"A preliminary review of Dr. Astin's prescriptions writing acitivites indicates... signifiant quantities of injectable Testosterone cypionate, an anabolic steroid...."

--"Through presceription records for Chris Benoit maintained at Jones Pharmacy in Fayetteville, Georgia, Dr. Astin has been identified as prescribing, on average, a 10 month supply of anabolic steroids to Mr. Benoit every three to four weeks from May 4, 2006 through May 9, 2007. My basis for identifying the customary dosage and use of anabolic steroids arises from conversations an officer had with Ralph Balchin, the pharmacist at Jones Pharmacy, who reviewed these prescriptions."

Link - http://www.pwtorch.com/artman/publish/article_21010.shtml

the premeditation is what disturbed me.

of course the murders are worst part of the story. thanks for stating the obvious.

The guy lost his fucking mind.......we're looking at a guy not thinking rationally being a nutjob with a rational thought here basically.

i dig what the thread has morphed into which is basically Bix going "I'm smart you're stupid.....bunch of idiots!"

Well, it's the truth, sadly enough.

I think the steroid hype on this issue is actually really nothing more than sensationalistic and about ratings.....there are tons of people on steroids, 1 guy killed his family so now everyday I get to hear about it's all on steroids.

If anything the Xanax goes right into with how screwed up and bizarre this man was than going "it was roid rage"

No one here is saying it's roid rage, so it's kind of stupid to be going on and on about how it's not roid rage.

That's what every TV news show does........and if you comment on that some people act like you are some "WWE protector" or some shit.

Just the same as if I comment on Debra someone will try to spin that into how I think it's ok for Austin to smack her or something totally out of line like that.

The roid rage comment was more of a general comment about how this is being covered on TV not exactly deflected at other posters.

Put Benoit aside for a second and lets just discuss Congress and the media. Part of it is that if it weren't for baseball's problems recently, I'm not sure too many people would've cared about this. However, this, alongside the media coverage given to Eddie Guerrero's death, meant the Rubicon had been crossed.

Think about this, why is Vince scared of being regulated? Steroids? Let the government test for steroids. If Vince truly believes all his roster is clean, then the government tests will turn up NOTHING, and that happening will give Vince's product legitimacy. He needs to look at this like Dana White of UCW, who is telling the government "regulate us".

There are two reasons Vince is scared of being regulated: loss of power and reality.

I know that all men love a power trip and right now Vince is the monarch Vincent II, head of the Kingdom of Professional Wrestling with no challenges to his throne after conquering the foreign lands of Atlanta (WCW) and Philadelphia (ECW), and naturally all kings do not like to give up power. So maybe he sees regulation as a personal affront because it is an aspect of his business that he does not control. Vince likes to tell everyone kayfabe is dead but no one is more kayfabe than him. I sometimes think the reason he told people kayfabe was dead was so that the real media would no longer pay attention to him. And it's served Vince well as all scandals up til now have been swept under the rug cause "it's wrestling, who cares?" What other place in America do people have their signs (opinions) taken away from them and it's not wrong? What other place in America is only one view presented and that is the one and only unquestioned view? Vince lives in a world where he is King, and he wants to make sure no one can question anything he does, making him more kayfabe than anyone in the locker room or the paying ticketholders.

Reality. Take away all performance-enhancing and look-enhancing drugs from everyone on the WWE roster and what do you have? A bunch of 5-foot-10 skinny white and black guys. Very few people are like the Big Show and the Great Khali and are naturally big. Part of entertainment, in Vince's eyes I believe, is making his superstars larger than life. Wrestling superstars can't be larger than life if they're the size of Bryan Danielson. I think Vince believes that the only way for him to make a lot of money is to have the guys that are "larger than life" literally. It's much cheaper in today's wrestling world to have a Lashley (a guy whose whole gimmick is I'm big) than it is a John Cena (a guy that oozes charisma). Charisma is a very rare thing to have for wrestlers, much harder to develop than a guy just getting big by popping pills with a policy of "don't ask, don't tell".

I think Vince believes if his roster went truly clean today, he'd lose a lot of money and the people watching wrestling would go down.

Guest kettley
Milliondollarchamp, that stuff is true. Vince has nothing to gain from government regulation, and to be honest it's not really a good idea.

If he were running a clean companyy he wouldn't have much to lose by it either... and really regulation is not a bad idea either, especially if there's a chance it'll help save the odd life.

Wrestlers can get in good, athletic shape without the use of steroids. It might require the schedule to be cut back a bit to give the guys time to adequately work out, but if it's the health of the wrestlers, those concessions should be made. Danielson is naturally small, but he sure looks like an athlete. Stan Hansen wasn't hugely muscular and ripped, but he looked like he could kick the ass of almost anyone on the WWE roster. Being huge and muscular is just idiotic anyway. Anyone with half a brain knows that those guys have fragile bodies, and anyone who watches MMA knows that those guys have no stamina. So from a credibility standpoint, they suck.

But the biggest draws in company history were all huge guys. Whether it was Hogan, Andre, Austin, Savage or Rock, all were eithe ridiculously large naturally or roided to an alarming level. Flair, Bret and Shawn were all on top when business was down. It's hard to pinpoint how much of their success was tied to their size, but for Vince he has to feel uncomfortable about pushing the smaller wrestlers when he's made the most money from larger than life characters.

We have to remember that Vince isn't telling these guys to use. He's not an advocate for steroids. He doesn't push Lashley or Batista as a reward for doing steroids. He pushes them because they are physically impressive and he thinks he can make money with them. He's only a business man, not a crazed drug pusher.

Not sure how many of you are familiar with economics or game theory, but that is what has happened to wrestling. It's to everyone's advantage to take steroids because there is a notion, whether real or perceived, that being big will earn you more money. Vince can't make them clean up by himself. He needs the cooperation of the industry, and to do that he will need the help of congress or a strong wrestler's union.

But the audience is conditioned........if a guy is a certain size or doesn't "look in shape" people won't buy him at least not at the top.

Fans buy right into that big man fetish thing too........it's hard to sell the big national audience that a smaller guy can mainevent. An above average size guy sure...you get into "I could beat that guys ass" size and fans will shit on the guy.

Also I don't watch MMA so all that goes right over my head LOL.

Here's a question. Is WWE's policy more or less credible than say, MLB's?

What about the NFL's......I bet a majority of that league is on steroids.

Here's a question. Is WWE's policy more or less credible than say, MLB's?

What about the NFL's......I bet a majority of that league is on steroids.

Well what is the death rate of the average Offensive Lineman? Nothing is going to happen unless people start dropping dead at preseason camps like that time the Viking player died of "heart failure or dehydration" due to specific food supplements. The closest thing that happened recently was the Terrell Owens situation which was covered up by the fact that he is one big primadonna and general dumbass or the case of the Bengals being well all criminals.

Maybe if the media got off their obsession with steroids and went after the obvious abuse of recreational drugs, over-the-counter products, prescription drugs the world would be a safer place. But then again lobbyist are paying off Congressmen so that their products will get overlooked so the FDA isn't actually helping anyone.

MLB and NFL probably have better policies, but they also have a far higher percentage of athletes who can afford things that aren't detectable.

Hey Gang !

I want to address a couple things. For one, I am not the first person to see mail written to me through myspace, or my email either for that matter. I have an assistant who trashes anything creepy or nasty. But anything that passes that I read. Every email I read. And I appreciate the compliments and words of support. Although I do sort of skip around, and I am now reading new stuff first, I do still have about 12,000 emails to read. I wish I was able to respond to every one, but if I spent only 60 seconds reading and responding to each email, it would take me 200 hours to catch up. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do that, and for that I sincerely apologize. But again, I read every email, and I appreciate your input and support.

Next, for the past couple weeks, it seems like every night on the late night news talk shows, former wrestlers are badmouthing the industry. I don't agree with most of what has been said, but my father served in the Air Force for 20 years, and fought for their right to speak their mind. But I do want to address one issue. One former wrestler complained that the janitor at the WWE office gets health benefits, and the wrestlers don't. I have only been to the WWE offices once, and I didn't get a chance to speak to any custodians about their health benefits. And honestly, even as far as the wrestlers, I don't know who gets what. But I can tell you this...I don't get health benefits. But I also get paid well. I believe I earn every bit of it, but I love my job and I get paid well. So I purchase my own health insurance.

My point? Not everyone either has health insurance or is able to purchase it. I have a new hero. His name is Michael Moore. His movie Sicko addresses the issue of substandard healthcare for millions of Americans. I can't substantiate all his facts, but I can't disprove any of them. I think he is worh listening to. He's also very funny. I encourage everyone to go to his website www.michaelmoore.com and sign up for his free mailing list.

I don't want to come off too preachy, but I'm going to leave you with this...I took it easy on Torrie Wilson on Smackdown last Friday because we used to be friends, and because I could end her career with one kick if I wanted. And what thanks do I get for it? She ambushes me, and I lose by DQ. The DQ is the read-headed step-child of wins. It's not even really a win. But when we meet again, I will impose my will on her, and when I'm done with her, she'll be lucky if they even hire her back at the Tijuana strip club where WWE found her.

Toodles, Lisa Marie

Credit: Her MySpace

We have to remember that Vince isn't telling these guys to use. He's not an advocate for steroids. He doesn't push Lashley or Batista as a reward for doing steroids. He pushes them because they are physically impressive and he thinks he can make money with them.

That line was good for a laugh for many reasons.

Who the fuck is Lisa Marie?

EDIT: Oh, Victoria. Nevermind.

Victoria......her real name is Lisa Marie Varon.

I think he was just trying to say Vince doesn't hand out steroids.

True. He just gives the biggest pushes and the most chances to people with ripped physiques that are very rarely obtainable without chemical aid. No advocating there at all.

I think he was just trying to say Vince doesn't hand out steroids.

True. He just gives the biggest pushes and the most chances to people with ripped physiques that are very rarely obtainable without chemical aid. No advocating there at all.

But at the same time, like the other guy pointed out. All the guys who've made the WWE top bank as big draw maineventers have been big guys. The small guys were low draws, failed maineventers.....it goes both ways, the small guys they tried basically didn't work.

It's a catch 22 you tell him don't push these guys it encourages use but at the same time company history says pushing a little guy is a bad move as a businessman.

My point? Not everyone either has health insurance or is able to purchase it. I have a new hero. His name is Michael Moore. His movie Sicko addresses the issue of substandard healthcare for millions of Americans. I can't substantiate all his facts, but I can't disprove any of them. I think he is worh listening to. He's also very funny.

And I just lost my love for Victoria with that bit right there.

We have to remember that Vince isn't telling these guys to use. He's not an advocate for steroids. He doesn't push Lashley or Batista as a reward for doing steroids. He pushes them because they are physically impressive and he thinks he can make money with them.

That line was good for a laugh for many reasons.

You've misinterpreted what I said. It is true that Vince pushes big men, and that the only way most of these men get this way is because they are large. However, that is not necessarily because he truly believes everyone should do steroids. It's just a by-product of him trying to run a successful business that has only succeeded with large superstars.

What small guy did they try and treat like a champion? Rey was treated as the the world's luckiest midget and constantly got his ass kicked. Jericho's run was pathetic, so pathetic he ended up building to his title defense against HHH by picking up dog crap. They made SURE the runs of the small guys failed just so it could be said their runs failed. They didn't book one of them like a champion, they booked them as jokes and the crowd responded as such.

My point? Not everyone either has health insurance or is able to purchase it. I have a new hero. His name is Michael Moore. His movie Sicko addresses the issue of substandard healthcare for millions of Americans. I can't substantiate all his facts, but I can't disprove any of them. I think he is worh listening to. He's also very funny.

And I just lost my love for Victoria with that bit right there.

Because it's Michael Moore?......all that movie is about is how screwed up the American health care system is, it isn't really politically motivated. I think most people would agree our health care system is totally screwed up and needs major change.