TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Human Fly

Chris Benoit Dead - Toxicology results released

Well it's typical of the internet to be anti-WWE and pro-whatever other non-WWE fed. With this situation a lot of people's concern and outrage over industry problems is B.S. They know they that this is good ammo to use against WWE. I would actually get a big kick out of it if wrestling ends up having to be regulated. Sure it would P.O. Vince McMahon, as WWE would be forced to make changes and others would have control, but WWE has the resources to afford it. The indy scene would be wiped out as a result. Lets see how the internet would feel about this story after that.

The only reason the indy scene hasn't ALREADY been wiped out is because it's so low under the radar. Do you know how many indies actually report their earnings and pay taxes to the IRS like every business is legally required to? Damn near none. The indies have only survived this long because nobody cares. Well, except for the draconian state athletic commissions in places like Oregon and Louisiana, who have basically legislated local wrestling out of existence.

On the "if Kurt Angle died" argument: yes, the WWE did try to help him. They were obviously pretty serious about it, being willing to fire a former Olympian who was one of their top guys and all. BUT: Kurt has wrestled, oh, 98% of his matches in the WWE. He picked up all his lingering injuries in the WWE. He definitely picked up that drug problem in the WWE. Sure they tried to help him, partly becaused they helped cause the problem in the first place.

The office of Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-FL) sent the following statement to PWTorch.com regarding a congressional hearing on the pro-wrestling industry.

'"Earlier this month, I called for a Congressional hearing on steroid use in professional wrestling. I have talked with both the Chairman of the Energy & Commerce Committee, Rep. John Dingell (D-MI), and the Chairman of the Commerce, Trade & Consumer Protection Subcommittee, Rep. Bobby Rush (D-IL), on this issue. Although no hearing yet has been scheduled, I was encouraged by those discussions that a hearing likely will be held this fall."

It also appears that Stearns will be drafting a letter to Vince McMahon regarding the fall hearings and how he would feel about Congress learning more about how WWE operates.

Credit: PWTorch.com

Guest NateW

Lance Storm is not happy

Attention Marc Mero

July 20, 2007

I watched the Glen Beck show tonight on CNN Headline News, and Beck was talking about wrestling yet again, and one of his guests was Marc Mero. Mero has been doing a ton of interviews lately, but something he said tonight struck a chord and really pissed me off. If someone has an email address for Marc please feel free to send him a link to my rant because I would love for him to read it and perhaps even send me his thoughts on it. I will make an attempt to be professional here but I can’t guarantee I will succeed; as I mentioned I am pretty pissed off.

The comment that Marc made that got under my skin was his response to Glen Beck, when he asked what Marc was on when he was in WWE (actually Beck kept calling him Mike, but I’ll let that slide). Marc responded (I don’t have an exact quote but this should be damn close). “Mainly pain killers, because you had to, to make all the towns and deal with the punishment you inflicted on your body.” BULLSHIT!!!!! “Had to” is a F---ing excuse used all the time by guys on drugs. Marc also talked about taking steroids because he “HAD” to, to compete and get a job. Well you know what Marc, I didn’t f---ing have to. I didn’t take Steroids, or pain pills to work. EVER!!!! I respect the fact that you are trying to do a good thing here but you are doing your cause a disservice by not admitting you were part of the damn problem. You are spewing the same bullshit excuses that the boys have been spewing for years, and it is this cop out bullshit excuse of “HAVING” to do it to deal with pain or get ahead, that perpetuates the very drug problems you are trying to stop.

Let’s be honest here, and this is where I may stir a lot of heat, but I don’t care, I’m pissed off. Marc Mero was not a very talented guy. When he was in WCW he was not, what you could call an in-ring general or great worker, so why did he have a job? He had a job because he took steroids to get a job he didn’t deserve. Steroids gave him the look that the company was willing to push despite his level of ability. Now Marc Mero can defend himself as much as he wants, with if he didn’t do steroids for the spot someone else would have, but that doesn’t excuse his actions. I was a worker at that time Marc, and I was close to your size and a hell of a lot more talented, and I wasn’t doing steroids nor have I EVER. Have you ever considered that you taking steroids cost a more deserving person who wasn’t on steroids, the opportunity he deserved, and in turn then put additional pressure on them to do steroids, to get the spot they actually deserved in the first place? Thankfully I had the backbone to not cave in to steroid and drug pressures, and enough talent to still make a career for myself, but so many others didn’t.

I’m not saying Marc Mero is the only guy in the business to have done this, or that he is a bad person today because of it, but he needs to realize not admitting he was part of the problem, completely kills his credibility. This bullshit mentality of “I did steroids because I had to”, or “I took pain pills because I had to to make all the towns” is a complete load of crap. This business is tough yes, but less talented, or smaller guys who take steroids to get a job or push they don’t deserve just makes it tougher. “Everyone else was doing it” is a bullshit excuse your Mother wouldn’t accept when you were 10, Mark, quit using it now. Not EVERYONE else was doing it and those of use who weren’t either suffered for it, or gave into the pressure and got dragged down the toilet with you. You may be trying to do a good thing here, but admit that you were part of the problem, and realize that your past actions may have pushed others into drug use, maybe even some of the people on your “Dead Wrestlers” list.

Speaking of the “Dead Wrestlers” list, I’m begging you to get an accurate one so those within the industry can’t bring up valid arguments to defend themselves. The list we keep seeing includes deaths from Breast cancer, accidents, you name it. Instead of pulling out a bogus list of 100+ people, can we not use the accurate list of 50+, is 50-60 dead people not tragic enough?

Before I wrap this up, I want to point out that I am not attempting to defend WWE or the Industry as a whole here. I think they should share some of the responsibility and blame for drug use in this industry. I also think for the most part Marc Mero is trying to fight a good fight, with good intentions. It just angers me when the people who started the problem or continued to perpetuate it, deny they are the biggest part of the problem, and then after reaping the rewards of their actions later claim victim status and try to dump all the responsibility on those who are likely more guilty of not stopping the problem or looking the other way than actually causing the problem in the first place. I respect Marc Mero for trying to do something good here, and this tirade should actually be directed at everyone in the industry who has used these excuses or done the drugs to get ahead, Marc’s just the guy using them on national TV and getting my attention. This was not meant as a personal attack Marc, and this was far stiffer that I originally intended, but I think my points are valid and stand by them.

TNA should send Marc Mero a thank you letter for giving me something new to rant about.

stormwrestling.com

Ohhh that cuts deep.....Mero probably felt that one.

Meltzer or Alvarez will probably call Lance some moron or something now.

The problem is that if Lance is telling truth, he is exception to the rule when it comes to drugs and steroids. Yeah, I think Mero should post his list online so we can all see it and critique it.

It's the same list that appears on numerous websites like onlineworldofwrestling it includes everyone that has died.....car accidents, cancer anything, anyone that is known at all that wrestled is on the list regardless of what they died from.

Here's the clip from Glenn Beck that Lance was talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzLugZssaYQ

Glenn really rips into wrestling, he's such a prick...

So I watched that........Glenn Beck has no idea what he's talking about......he's exactly what people mean when you say someone has no idea what people are talking about.

Saying there's no athletic talent in wrestling......he's just acting as if wrestling shouldn't exist at all. He taps right into every single stereotype out out there, the white trash the idiots are fans........every stereotype, real hard edge reporting right there.

Ohhh that cuts deep.....Mero probably felt that one.

Meltzer or Alvarez will probably call Lance some moron or something now.

Dave had him on WOL last week I think, and Lance basically said, about guys taking painkillers to get through matches and carry on, if they need them in the first place, then they shouldn't be wrestling.

So I watched that........Glenn Beck has no idea what he's talking about......he's exactly what people mean when you say someone has no idea what people are talking about.

Saying there's no athletic talent in wrestling......he's just acting as if wrestling shouldn't exist at all. He taps right into every single stereotype out out there, the white trash the idiots are fans........every stereotype, real hard edge reporting right there.

Basically this is what kind of person Glenn Beck is. Glenn Beck is one of those people who always never got Pro Wrestling. Never watched pro wrestling, never understood why people watched it, and most likely doesn't know anyone who watches it on a regular basis and always saw it as a joke and when Beck had a reason to rant against pro wrestling, he took the first chance he got and ran with it, but you should have figured this out when Beck called the "Great American Bash", the "All American Bash" and had the old WWF scarch logo on that monitor in the backround. The panda people should sue him for using that logo.

Both Finlay and Kennedy were congratulated by their peers backstage at this past week's events for their appearances on television last week. In the case of Finlay, everyone was telling him how awesome he did on Nancy Grace last Friday by "putting everyone in their place." There was those that felt differently but also knew they had to keep things quiet.

While there were those who genuinely felt that Finlay had handled himself well, most recognized that his appearance on the show was a bit of a disaster. Finlay was lucky because Marc Mero and Bryan Alvarez have a lot of personal respect for him and they chose not to make him look bad when they probably could have. Finlay left himself open to a lot of stuff, but Alavarez wasn't on during those moments because the producers only wanted Mero and Finlay to debate. For instance, Finlay told Mero that there was no proof steroids steroids played a role in Eddue Guerrero's death. However, Guerrero's death certificate speciafically points out that steriod use was a major contributing factor in his death. There were some complaints about how Finlay represented himself because he is not the "independent contractor" the wrestlers are purported as being. In addition to having a contract talent, Finlay is also a road agent, thus making him a WWE employee. Due to that, he gets 401K, medical, dental and employee stock purchase plans. The wrestlers don't get these perks. Finlay didn't represent that that all those things are taken care of by WWE for him, while speaking for "the boys" that things are fine with them not getting it.

As noted before, Kennedy appeared on Greta Van Susteren's show on the Fox news channel last Friday. When asked if he used steriods he denied it outright. There were actually some people in WWE hot at him for saying this, but the way the question was phrased was about the present tense, not if he had ever used steroids through the course of his life.

wrestling observer newsletter

As noted before, Kennedy appeared on Greta Van Susteren's show on the Fox news channel last Friday. When asked if he used steriods he denied it outright. There were actually some people in WWE hot at him for saying this, but the way the question was phrased was about the present tense, not if he had ever used steroids through the course of his life.

wrestling observer newsletter

I'm a bit confused on this part. Why would they but mad at him for denying he uses steroids? Because he didn't say he never used steroids? I don't get it.

Guest beau99

Glenn Beck is usually a smart man. I don't agree with everything he says, but he usually gets things right. This is just an exception.

I think my biggest problem is people blaming the WWE for every single problem in wrestling....

I'm just very tired of problems that are inherent in the industry on all ends, all sides and all countries are being acted as though by some people like they are a WWE problem that they created and begins and ends with them. It's that whole "I hate the WWE let's blame them for everything" mantality some people have.

I get this argument for WWE, but they are by and far #1. I mentioned this on page 149 of this thread. The media is going to look to them (WWE) to be the people to do something, anything about the problem. To give you an example, there is a recent Yahoo article on UFC where the writer says that steroids is a problem in MMA and UFC needs to do something about it. Below is a quote from the article...

And while it's important to note that this is not a UFC problem, as the largest and most powerful entity in the sport, the burden falls squarely on the UFC to find a solution.

Now, insert WWE in place of UFC and that is why people, mostly mainstream media and people who aren't fans of wrestling, are coming after WWE in regards to accountability. Look at the mentality here. You may not like it, but it is what it is.

I just want to clarify my three-second comment on Nancy Grace yesterday about how Benoit destroyed a lot of things but not the steroids, and how I thought there might be a reason for that. It wasn't meant to be a tease, I just ended up with a very limited amount of time to get the point out and they didn't go back to me for clarification afterwards. Basically, anyone who says Benoit wasn't thinking the last two days is flat-out wrong. He had to have gone nuts to do what he did, but he was still very clearly in a calculating state of mind. He was very specific about destroying certain things (for example, some photos but not all photos, and the photos he did not destroy were also intriguing), how he killed both people (including loading his son up with Xanax first to sedate him), the thought and planning and, quite frankly, hard work that went into killing himself in the most horrible way possible, etc. But despite all of that, he didn't destroy, hide or get rid of ANY drugs. There was plenty of stuff he didn't want people to find and also a few things he DID seemingly want people to find, and the drugs were among those things. The first thing wrestlers always get rid of are the drugs, in dozens of cases dating back decades. Not Benoit. Also, it is now believed by some that he tried to get off the steroids in April (hence the clean test) and found his system was so screwed up that he got back on (his natural testosterone levels were incredibly low due to the years of steroid abuse, and trying to come clean would have resulted in major physical and psychological issues). I suspect he knew the steroids had destroyed his body and that they'd played a role in the deaths of many of his close friends, including his best friend in this business. The theory, which is also written about in some form in this week's new Observer, is basically that he decided he was going to take out himself, his entire family, and the wrestling business which he had grown to hate.

f4wonline

Couldn't he have just left a note saying it was all Vince's fault?

I find what Alvarez said to be very facinating.

I remember the story of when David Von Erich was found dead in his hotel in Japan that the first thing Bruiser Brody did before authorities showed up was to flush all the drugs David had in the room. Makes me wonder if anyone protected the business when Eddie was found.

The theory, which is also written about in some form in this week's new Observer, is basically that he decided he was going to take out himself, his entire family, and the wrestling business which he had grown to hate.

f4wonline

Could that be another reason why Vince wants to erase Benoit totally from history? Of course, the fact that he's a murderer is the main reason, but it seems like Benoit didn't respect the unwritten code in the industry that when you commit suicide, you destroy the drugs you had, to not make the industry look bad.

The theory, which is also written about in some form in this week's new Observer, is basically that he decided he was going to take out himself, his entire family, and the wrestling business which he had grown to hate.

f4wonline

Could that be another reason why Vince wants to erase Benoit totally from history? Of course, the fact that he's a murderer is the main reason, but it seems like Benoit didn't respect the unwritten code in the industry that when you commit suicide, you destroy the drugs you had, to not make the industry look bad.

ya know what if Benoit hated it that much he should have stayed home when he took that break awhile back and then told Vince, NO I DONT WANNA COME BACK I HATE IT, now i can side with WWE on what they are doing, thats pretty shitty of Chris to knowingly put a black eye on the world of wrestling

Exactly.If Benoit really wanted to bring down wrestling, he could have left a note damning wrestling and the wwe to hell and truly exposing it. The fact he didn't do that tells me that all the so called "analysis" by certain parties, doesn't mean a helluva lot.

I just want to clarify my three-second comment on Nancy Grace yesterday about how Benoit destroyed a lot of things but not the steroids, and how I thought there might be a reason for that. It wasn't meant to be a tease, I just ended up with a very limited amount of time to get the point out and they didn't go back to me for clarification afterwards. Basically, anyone who says Benoit wasn't thinking the last two days is flat-out wrong. He had to have gone nuts to do what he did, but he was still very clearly in a calculating state of mind. He was very specific about destroying certain things (for example, some photos but not all photos, and the photos he did not destroy were also intriguing), how he killed both people (including loading his son up with Xanax first to sedate him), the thought and planning and, quite frankly, hard work that went into killing himself in the most horrible way possible, etc. But despite all of that, he didn't destroy, hide or get rid of ANY drugs. There was plenty of stuff he didn't want people to find and also a few things he DID seemingly want people to find, and the drugs were among those things. The first thing wrestlers always get rid of are the drugs, in dozens of cases dating back decades. Not Benoit. Also, it is now believed by some that he tried to get off the steroids in April (hence the clean test) and found his system was so screwed up that he got back on (his natural testosterone levels were incredibly low due to the years of steroid abuse, and trying to come clean would have resulted in major physical and psychological issues). I suspect he knew the steroids had destroyed his body and that they'd played a role in the deaths of many of his close friends, including his best friend in this business. The theory, which is also written about in some form in this week's new Observer, is basically that he decided he was going to take out himself, his entire family, and the wrestling business which he had grown to hate.

f4wonline

Leaving such a note would give the WWE/Vince ammo galore in terms of painting Benoit as being a bitter malcontent/loon who murdered his family and then tried to justify his crimes via blaming Vince for making him do it.

As it stands, if said above sceneriois true, then Benoit was going for the "death by a thousand cuts" style revenge against the WWE and Vince. Letting the public and the media assume/speculate/declare the worst case scenerio to attack Vince and generally thrust the WWE into the spotlight in the worst possible manner imaginable would be a far crueler revenge if Benoit's vile actions indeed were motivated in part by him wanting to take the WWE down with him in the process...