TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

UFC 76

I'll order it. It's got three fights that'll be entertaining (Forest/Shogun, Fitch/Sanchez, Chuck/Jardine--for however long that lasts) And the other two matches aren't bad either (Wiman vs Omigawa and Lambert/Gouveia)

Well, one: It's The Nak. And two: Who the fuck are you to assume there needs to be any other reason than that for you to start spreadin D.N.A. for the N.A.K.

Um, a guy that's not familiar with Nakamura? Help your fellow 905er out with some video.

So anyway, I looked him up, and well, color me impressed as far as quality of opponents go. Not that many easy fights as far as I can tell. Machida should, in theory, be no problem for him, but Nakamura's never fought in a cage before.

The cage will be less a problem than Machidas circling and counter-attacks to Naks rush-in/swim style of fighting. Though Nakamuras stand up has looked much-improved in his last few fights. I imagine Lyoto will be the favourite in this fight, but Nak is game for pretty much everybody.

Man, it's gonna be kinda funny seeing you all kinds of pissed if this doesn't make air. I mean, it's the internet. It'll be up within an hour.

* Mauricio “Shogun” Rua vs. Forrest Griffin

* Keith Jardine vs. Chuck Liddell

* Jon Fitch vs. Diego Sanchez

* Tyson Griffin vs. Thiago Tavares

* Wilson Gouveia vs. Jason Lambert (likely swing bout)

Prelims:

* Justin McCully vs. Christian Wellisch

* Michihiro Omigawa vs. Matt Wiman

* Lyoto Machida vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura

* Evan Tanner vs Marvin Eastman

That's pretty much your card w/ Eastman breaking the news on a radio station that he'll be taking on tanner.

Oh it will air. This will be the anti-Sanchez/Koscheck. With Sanch/Kos, it could not have possibly sucked on paper, but in reality it ate a big one. With Nak/Lyoto, the odds of a decision are so great it cannot possibly go to one.

I hope they've notified Griffin's next of kin.

I would have actually backed Lyoto against Shogun, if only because of their styles. Griffin doesn't have a shot though. His only hope is that he can outbox Shogun, which I strongly doubt. One mistake against Shogun is near instant death, and Griffin tends to make mistakes.

Lyoto/Nakamura's an interesting fight. Neither man really likes to engage on their own, and are counter-attackers, but Nakamura's decidely more aggressive then Lyoto is. However, Lyoto is an awesome counter fighter, so I don't see it working real well in Nakamura's favor. I'd say Lyoto by JD, unanimous. Could be a really great fight, or a REAAAAAAALLY boring one.

Chuck/Jardine

Diego/Fitch

Shogun/Walking Corpse

Tavares/Griffin

Nak/LYOTO

is your main card, courtesty of UFC.com with Lambert/Gouveia being the swing bout. UFC must be banking on Tha Nak's skillz to counteract LYOTO's vortex of suck he seems to drag fighters into.

Any word on what could happen with the lw title?

It all depends on how Sherk's appeal goes... If he's stripped it will likely be Penn Vs. Stevenson for the vacated title in November. If not, then Penn will fight Sherk for the title.

Either way Penn is getting a LW title shot.

And either way, once again not deserving the title shot he gets.

Can't really blame the UFC though, they don't really got enough marketable LW's.

BJ Penn is known among casual fans more so then anyone else in the divison. Roger Huerta is becoming a star, but he is no where near ready to be fight any elite level LW's. UFC LW's is pretty much filled of up and coming, young fighters. Maybe when Matt Serra losses his WW title, he moves back down to 155 to make things more interesting.

It's not a main-event level fight but Stevenson vs Fisher is a more deserving fight in terms of LW contenders then Penn vs TBA.

Fisher isn't that deserving of a LW title shot either. Beating Stout isn't all that impressive, Clay Guida or Din Thomas is more deserving than Fisher.

It's not about who's deserving or who isn't, it's about generating enough interest for PPV rights. BJ Penn is a draw, and people are interested to see him fight. With him as a champion, there are a lot more interesting fights at LW. Penn Vs. Sherk is the biggest money fight at LW for the UFC right now with Stevenson waiting in the wings.

I don't argue that Penn isn't deserving of a title shot, but the UFC is a business and they are doing whats best for business. And you cannot really fault them, if you understand that point of view.

I'm going and I got in the bleeders with no problem.

Arrive extra early. Sample all the "neat" energy drinks they give away for free. Bring a camera. Get your picture taken with the Mickeys girls. Most of all, Have fun!!!

I just watched Shogun/Arona and I've come to believe the same thing everyone else says that Forrest don't stand a chance. I wasn't sure how a Chute Boxe guy would do in UFC without the stomps that you see in all the highlight videos but he has some amazingly well rounded skills.

I think Forrest Griffin will hold his own against Shogun. The Arona fight doesn't mean jackshit, because they are 2 different fighters. Griffin keeps on improving in all areas. While I expect Shogun to win, I don't see him blasting Griffin with ease. Griffin will put up a fight, and I think he will last the desicion.

Remember when I said I wasn't going to buy this?

LOL. Of course I am.

So, Fitch didn't make weight. I can't find anywhere if he lost the 1 pound in the hour he got. I'm guessing that he pretty much had to have. It's only 1 pound. But that would suck if he didn't.

FORREST bitches.

Man, Shogun was gassed. Great fight. Great win.

Good show so far. Griffin vs. Thiago was good, of course. Nakamura vs. Machida was terrible - it practically put me to sleep and it's always nice to see Diego lose.

Hopefully a KO in the main.

Love slugfests like that main event.

Jardine killed Chuck.

Again, how do you give Chuck the fight 29-28? Even using boxing scoring Chuck only won 1 round. Sometimes I wonder.

What now for Chuck? I mean, obviously that Wandy match ain't happening with Chuck coming off two losses.

Nuts PPV but very good overall, except the Machida snoozefest.

A fantastic PPV. Even the 'worst' fight of the night was entertaining in its own way. I thought Sanchez won his fight, so I'm a little disappointed in the decision, with the 30-27 score for Fitch looking crazy. Griffin-Rua was incredible, and I think is going to be a heavy favorite to win FOTY. As for the main event, who could have seen Keith Jardine outstriking Chuck Liddell? I had it 29-28 Jardine, and I'm not sure how Liddell could have won either rounds two or three.

This is easily the best PPV of the year from UFC, and I think is also one of their best ever.