TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chazz

When Was The Last Time You Were Surprised By A Match Finish?

The last match that surprised me was Edge beating Kennedy on Raw for the MITB. I didn't know until the next day Kennedy was injured.

john cena retaining the title vs. umaga at NYR, hbk at Wrestlemania, and great khali the second time they fought. all three of those matches you'd think "maybe he'll lose, it'd be the perfect time", but he remained the champion

i was also surprised when undertaker beat batista at wrestlemania

You really thought there was a chance that HBK would win at Wrestlemania? HBK is my favorite wrestler of all time, but I still didn't turn on Raw to watch a second of their feud and had no intention of seeing WM because I knew there was no way in hell HBK was winning.

As far as major matches, probably Michaels/HHH from that December RAW in 2003.

I'd also say Edge winning the title from Taker, but that wasn't much of a match ...

Most recently.? Probably the looong HBK/Cena match on Raw. Once it got to somewhere around 45-50 minutes it seemed silly to me that you'd give this away when you could make people pay to see 1/3 of a PPV if you were going to have an actual finish. .. Having the draw just made the most sense for it being a TV match where the audience can't be that upset (and probably is aching to see another meeting) about the non-finish; and no one comes out looking any less strong - if anything this works to elevate both in keeping Cena unbeaten and giving HBK the credit of being a guy that, while not besting the champ, can't seem to be put away.

Having a clean finish that far in is shocking in a multitude of ways: Cena becomes more vulnerable to a guy who isn't an immediate fixture, and HBK gains nothing from the victory that he wouldn't've gotten from a draw (he can't make a timely call to the title for beating the champ in a non-title match; and, assuming Cena is still on top when HBK returns) as holding a clean non-loss to an otherwise dominant champion counts for at least grounds a couple of months of PPV matches.

Fake Kane going over real Kane at last year's Vengeance. Only for real Kane to grab fake Kane's mask and kick him out of the arena (and apparently his life) forever shortly thereafter (the next night on Raw, I think).

Really, what WAS the point of that whole angle?

Biggest surprise finish thus far:

Cena over HHH cleanly at Wrestlemania 22. I didn't think Cena had a chance in Hell of retaining the WWE Championship.

This year:

Cena losing to HBK cleanly in the Wrestlemania 23 rematch. The worst part was that it was non-title!

Edge going over Batista three times in a row consecutively on PPV. Two of which were clean with Mark Henry nowhere in sight! (I expected WWE to try the Batista / Henry feud again.)

Guest JohnFTW

Most of the answers have been recent matches.

So, I'm going back a few years and saying Mankind winning the WWF Title off of The Rock was HUGE. Even though it was spoiled on WWF.com, it was still shocking to read about.

Put me down for RVD going over Orton in the Strecher Match, I figured Randy was sure to win that one, what with RVD not signing a new contract and all.

Sanitno winning the title. Pointless. Even though I read the spoiler.

Candice winning the belt of Melina at the last PPV, considering Melina had done nothing but job to Candice, I figured Melina would go over her just to give her back some credit.

The funny thing about Horowitz is that the guy is a really solid worker. I saw a few matches with him vs. the Blue Blazer and those were terrific. And Horowitz finally winning wasn't a huge shock to me....I remember the guy actually holding a title on Global!

The RVD/Orton result was truly puzzling given RVD's status, but I wasn't that surprised. I remember reading before ONS that Vince was going to give RVD the win there to swerve fans who expected him to job on his way out.

i'd have to say Santino Marella beating Umaga, but we know how Marella's career is gonna wind up ;)

The funny thing about Horowitz is that the guy is a really solid worker. I saw a few matches with him vs. the Blue Blazer and those were terrific. And Horowitz finally winning wasn't a huge shock to me....I remember the guy actually holding a title on Global!

The RVD/Orton result was truly puzzling given RVD's status, but I wasn't that surprised. I remember reading before ONS that Vince was going to give RVD the win there to swerve fans who expected him to job on his way out.

Remember Horowitz gimmick in global? he finally won a match by like dq or somethin, and started calling himself "the Winner" and showing the video to the match. Then he got a lightheavyweight (I think) title reign.

as for shocks, the most recent I can name is Nitro. but Benoit beaitng MVP at mania was kinda shocking cuz the way it was set up, youd think MVP would win it at hi s first mania

Khali assraping and meatjobbing Undertaker at last year's Judgement Day. I mean, when was the last time Taker jobbed clean? To anyone? Much less to a complete n00b who just stomped him once and then pinned him with one foot on his chest? That's when I knew, sadly, that I was stuck with Khali for the long run.

Edge vs Batista (Judgement Day 2007) Edge rolled him up.... and won..... cleanly.....WTF?!!?

I change mine to Steven Richards beating Kevin Thorn yesterday on ECW...

Guest mpcuniverse

I'm surprised no one has said this yet:

Last year's NYR where Cena wins the elimination chamber and as they lift it Vince comes out. Edge cashes in his money in the bank and wins the title off of Cena. That was probably the last time that I was truly surprised by titan. After that not so much. It's weird but it feels as I get older the easier it becomes to call the end of matches.

I'm surprised no one has said this yet:

Last year's NYR where Cena wins the elimination chamber and as they lift it Vince comes out. Edge cashes in his money in the bank and wins the title off of Cena. That was probably the last time that I was truly surprised by titan. After that not so much. It's weird but it feels as I get older the easier it becomes to call the end of matches.

I wasn't very surprised by it due to earlier in the night. Edge opened the PPV against Ric Flair and quickly got himself DQed by smashing up Flair with the briefcase.

Afterwards, he told Lita to handle the WWE.Com interview because he had "more imporant things going on" and then shifted a quick glance to the briefcase as he walked off.

When Vince's music hit right when Cena got the 3-count, I 99% knew that was it.

Edge vs Batista (Judgement Day 2007) Edge rolled him up.... and won..... cleanly.....WTF?!!?

Didn't Edge pull the tights? I'm like 99% the first victory against Batista wasn't clean.

There's, like, different levels of "dirtyness" in victories. Some people, to call it "clean", require there to be no interference, no funny business, no cheating at all. Others accept anything short of Scott Hall running in dressed as security with a cattle prod as being clean.

Personally? Hooking the tights isn't "clean", but it's an awfully old-fashioned rule, considering that half the wrestlers don't wear tights these days. I say as long as one guy pins another without serious cheating to do so (being defined as holding the ropes, foreign object, run-in, ref bump when the other guy had the match won, etc), it's clean.

Didn't Edge pull the tights? I'm like 99% the first victory against Batista wasn't clean.

There was a little of a tight pulling at around 2 or so. Either way, I loved the fact that Edge no-sold the spinebuster to get the pin

NO... he was just touching Batista's ASS!

Benoit over Michaels and HHH shocked the shit out of me, I can tell you.