TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Marvel Comics thread

Same as the DC Comics thread. Talk about any books, characters, creators that you want.

To start off the thread, what is your favorite book to read each month?

Kinda soured on Marvel as of late. I was pretty into it at the end of Civil War (though I wasn't a fan of the series itself) but event fatigue seems to have set in for me and the Ultimate Universe is sucking pretty bad right now.

Still, I'll always be into Cable and Deadpool and Brubaker can't seem togo wrong with Captain America (despite the lack of the titular character) and Daredevil.

Oh and of course Astonishing X-Men when it comes out.

Total agreement about Brubaker's Captain America. By a mile I find this to be Marvel's most interesting book right now.

I think that the Ultimate line is sucking due to the 616 books improving. The wrtiting quality of the main books is so much better than it was when the Ultimate books launched.

Brubaker is amazing. I'm really digging his Iron Fist book.

Punisher War Journal is also a really fun read.

My Top 10 Favorite Marvel books:

Spectacular Spider-Man

Avengers: The Initiative

Captain America

Daredevil

Iron Fist

Thunderbolts

Incredible Hulk

X-Factor

X-Men

Cable & Deadpool

RIP Irredeemable Ant-Man. :(

Guest Tsukuyomi

Yeah, Brubaker is just showing off in his books right now. He's doing for Iron Fist what Johns is doing for the Green Lantern Corps: Take it's history and create a real deep mythos behind it.

World War Hulk is going down the tubes. Watching not only the Hulk, but his B/C-List friends walk through heroes is getting very dull very quickly. Did anyone else think the Shadow Elder guy dispelling Dr. Strange's illusions to be just a LITTLE bit fishy?

I'm actually digging the Initiative, and New Avengers is starting to kick into gear. Mighty Avengers doesn't really interest me, though. It's so far out of our timeline right now I just can't get into it. This is their first mission, but we've already seen the Mighty Avengers in action in Silent War, New Avengers, World War Hulk, and more.

Champions looks like it could be pretty cool. I'm waiting for a few more issues, but I'm digging the concept.

The Ultimate Universe is in a slump. But Ultimate Spidey is still pretty good. Apparently they are going to be doing big things with the Ultimate Universe in the upcoming year (Check IGN for Ultimatum and such). I still have hope for it.

Marvel, now theres a comic company you can really set your watch to. Every month I get X-Men, Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Sensational Spider-Man (Yes I do like me some Spider-Man), Wolverine, Wolverine: Origins, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Punisher: War Journal, New Avengers and although I'm not a big Hulk fan I'm also currently getting World War Hulk & Incredible Hulk. I also get Runaways in trade form. I could be forgeting some others as well...

Wolverine: Origins

Really??

Yeah, granted I have dropped it twice and then decided to pick it up again. Its very hit or miss, admittedly mostly miss, I'm also not a fan of Steve Dillon's art, it dosent really fit the book.

I'll say this, I'm mainly an X-Men fan.

Therefore, I tend to pick up Uncanny X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, X-Men, X-Factor, Wolverine, Wolverine Origins, New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Immortal Iron Fist, and I sometimes pick up Captain America, Incredible Hulk, and sometimes random titles that look interesting on given issues.

Thoughts on AUGUST 8th Marvel Books:

Incredible Hulk (109) kinda sucked for the first time in a while this month. Just so much re-hash and nothing much went down except things we've already seen happen in other WWH books.

X-Factor (22) was pretty good, with a surprising anti-hero cameo from Spidey's 1990s past and a killer ending.

Daredevil (99) ended a bit flat, I think. It's been rock-solid forever, just not as good as usual (like Hulk).

Thoughts on Omega Flight, Ultimate X-Men, Ghost Rider, Nova, Punisher War Journal, New Excalibur, World War Hulk: Frontline, New Avengers, and New Avengers/Transformers forthcoming.

I have every issue thus far and I'm still enjoying it (granted, not as much as the primary Wolverine title).

I've stuck with worse titles in the past (see Generation X).

Guest Tsukuyomi
I'm enjoying anything I can find with Iron Man in it. Watching Tony Stark be the biggest badass in 616 is incredibly amusing to me.

Corrected. Anyone who has a contingency plan that opens the Negative Zone up in New York, annihilating the entire city, is the coolest bastard out there.

New Warriors is my favorite book not involved with Sinestro at the moment. But then I'm an avid NW fan, and have been since the beginning.

:cheers:

I'm liking how you can see the two sides of the coin with New Warriors and The Initiative. Also impressed with how Grievoux has tried to integrate the previous continuity into the current one. It really helps get the bad taste of Wells and Young's bastardization out of my mouth.

It's good to see we all have some love for the man without fear, he's always been my favouite comic book character by a long shot. Although I am a fan of Deadpool.

I picked up Avengers/Transformers #1 but I haven't gotten #2 yet, has anyone read it/is it out yet?

It's really hard to get info on comics over here as the only local comic shop I have is a huge bus ride away, and it's barely open.

Crap I hope I don't have to buy a Alex Ross book for Caps comeback story.

Crap I hope I don't have to buy a Alex Ross book for Caps comeback story.

Whats wrong with Alex Ross?

I'm not a fan. Not even close.

How can you not like Alex Ross?

Don't get me wrong, I take nothing away from the mans talent, I respect what he can do, but there is a difference between respecting and liking. At the end of the day it all comes down to a matter of personal opinion. I don't like Ross' realistic style and its as simple as that. Plus in interviews Ive read with and about the guy it seems like he a mightier than thou jerk.

Don't get me wrong, I take nothing away from the mans talent, I respect what he can do, but there is a difference between respecting and liking. At the end of the day it all comes down to a matter of personal opinion. I don't like Ross' realistic style and its as simple as that. Plus in interviews Ive read with and about the guy it seems like he a mightier than thou jerk.

That part is true about Ross. He kind of reminds me of John Bryne or Peter David. One thing about Alex Ross is that he LOVES the Silver Age of comics. I remember one time he said the best version of the Justice League was the one from the Superfriends cartoon.

I've been guilty of enjoying the Superfriends but for the same reason I enjoyed the '60s Batman show. Quick fact, I work at a video store and one time put the '60s Batman movie on, someone asked if they could have it before I could get it off the menu screen. It was awesome.

Ah right, well you make a good point. I've never read an interview with him, but I'm a massive fan of his artwork, but I can see why people don't like it. My mate Mark hates it.

But just going through the galleries on his website makes my jaw hit the floor.