TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

Vista

I've been running Vista Ultimate for a couple of weeks now and I just cant understand why it is so hated, I havent noticed a speed difference between this and XP Black, and everything seems to work fine, why do people hate it so much?

It is XP with a prettier UI.

Pretty much the reason people get pissed at Madden every year. Sure, there is nothing wrong with it, but if I just paid for it, I need to see more upgrades than a fucking pretty desktop.

Plus lots of programs that worked on XP don't work on Vista. So you get a system with a prettier UI with slightly less functionality...all for the nice low price of...well..whatever the fuck it cost.

To be honest, my copy of Vista is downloaded so cost isnt an issue, and the only program I've found that didnt work is Nero

Guest Vitamin X

I actually like having a Mac for a laptop. The Macbook is good stuff, I'd like to buy one.

Alot of graphic programs don't work for me. And plugins for said graphic programs. I dont know how it would hinder the normal computer user, but it gave me hell and some stuff was downright unusable.

Don't get me wrong, its better than XP if for no other reason the UI is pretty as hell, but does that cost justify a prettier UI?

Then again, people buy macs because they are prettier.

Erm, the prettyness doesnt bother me, I like the live previews of windows if you hover on the taskbar, and being able to flip the windows is great as I can see how long a download or something installing has left without having to switch forward and back, the games explorer seems pretty redundant, and there always seems to be a lot of patches, although the rumoured service pack 1 will sort that out

The search function on the Start menu is the beginning and end of all the great things Vista offers over XP.

I think people underestimate a eyecatching UI though. I don't think anyone would complain if XP looked better, and Vista gave you that.

And pretty much nothing else.

Well I suppose if someone goes out and buys a copy of Vista I can see why they'd be underwhelmed, but I'm surprised people do that. Other than replacement purposes, why would you?

I've never bought an OS, it's always came pre-loaded on whatever computer I get.

Vista came pre-loaded on my laptop and it's fine. The search integrated is a nice feature, its documents/video/music folder structures are more streamlined (i actually use them), and the UI looks cool. I also find some of the option settings to be easier to access. Other than that it's a slight improvement over XP.

I see no real reason to hate it if you didn't pay extra for it.

Completely agree. If you didn't pay extra for it. The people that hate it did. And you can't blame them. It was touted as the next big thing from Microsoft. It ended up being pretty XP.

Another thing is you need a healthy upgrade in hardware in order for Vista to run well. Putting it on a desktop thats even a year or two old with only 512 MB of RAM is not a good idea. Then you run into driver issues with that older hardware. So thats more money put into an upgrade that you don't exactly need.

I'm not having any major issues with Vista so far after a few months. Took a while to figure out where some options and menus were located.

My major beef with it is this: I troubleshoot internet all day, and Vista almost has too much going on in most of its screens. It takes all day to get someone to click on the right options because they are just overwhelmed (or fucking retarded). That is really my only major gripe with it.

Don't get me wrong, its better than XP if for no other reason the UI is pretty as hell, but does that cost justify a prettier UI?

Then again, people buy macs because they are prettier.

I have both a mac and a vista-running pc, and methinks vista looks like a complete knock-off of OSX. Vista's also a computer eater and needs a lot to run it.

PCs are made for businesses, and Macs are made for people and graphics and shit.

What ever. I do graphics and shit and I hate fucking Macs. The day I start using Maya or Max on a fucking mac is the day...well...nevermind. I just won't. Fuck those things.

Guest Vitamin X

Same here. I do video editing, and while I like Final Cut Pro, I like how Avid runs on a PC, and Adobe Premiere works super on a PC.

Got a new computer yesterday and I'm liking Vista so far.

Cool move

Start Menus > All Programs > Accessories > Snipping Tool

Very cool way to make your own screen caps