TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

The TSM Recipe Thread.

Guest Vitamin X

I just wanted to beat Czech to the punch, since I like to cultivate this folder.

Here's a pretty decent breakfast recipe I made today.

Chorizo (in my case, Soyrizo, but you guys choose whatever you'd like, of course) Breakfast Burrito

2-4 eggs

some chorizo (can be bought at pretty much any supermarket in hispanic foods, or if you're in a heavily hispanic area, just the good ol' meats section. They looked like bright red sausages)

a couple small potatoes

1 tsp butter

1 flour tortilla

salsa

1. I chopped up the small potatoes in a large saucepan which I had set on high with some butter melting already. Try them on there, and wait for them to cook. This is the part that takes longest. You'll know they'll start to be done when the skins (yeah I don't peel them, the skins give them flavor plus it takes longer) start to brown.

2. While the potatoes (now becoming homefries, I suppose) are cooking, beat the eggs together in a small bowl, and keep aside. Add a bit of salt to taste, if you like.

3. Now that homefries/potatoes are done, add on the eggs, already beaten. Add the chorizo at this time as well, and using a spatula, mix them all up nicely. Now if you're using soyrizo, the meat doesn't take very long to cook, but with chorizo, I would recommend adding them in when the homefries are close to being done.

4. Warm up the tortilla. The best way to do this is to heat up a skillet and heat it for a few seconds on each side, but you can also microwave it for 10 seconds. The disadvantage to that is that they're harder to roll.

5. Spread the tortilla out on a plate, and add the egg/homefries/chorizo mixture in the middle, making sure not to fill it up TOO much. Doing that makes it hard to roll. You can make another burrito if you desire, but better to do too little than too much, especially if you're not really skilled at rolling burritos. Add the salsa.

6. Roll the burrito! There are a few guides out there on the web if you google it. What I usually do is make sure the filling is off center, spread out horizontally, more towards me than the other side. I fold the bottom part over the filling, then fold the two sides, then roll it forward. Wrapping it in aluminum foil helps, especially for novices since it helps hide a crappy job (which is why so many Mexican food places do this). I actually learned this first from watching people at Chipotle, and even the local Pita Pit.

Enjoy!

Just because it's retardedly good, I'll re-submit my beer chili:

Fry up a pound of ground beef and drain it. Throw it in a slow cooker.

While the beef is frying, fry up some sausages, and, when they're done, mince them, so they're the same texture and size as the beef. (Maple Leaf pre-cooked sausages also work very well.) Also add them to the slow cooker, then add the following:

One can kidney beans, one can tomato sauce, one can tomato soup, one packet of chili powder, one cup bbq sauce, one cup buffalo-wing hot sauce, and (trust me on this, don't use the full bottle) half a bottle of beer. Stir like hell and let it slow-cook for about 8 hours.

Edit: I hate tomatoes, but a lot seem to like the diced tomatoes in their chili. My stepdad swears by a squirt of syrup in the mix as well. Fuck around as you like, but the half-beer is what makes this great.

Chorizo (in my case, Soyrizo, but you guys choose whatever you'd like, of course) Breakfast Burrito

My slop is similar although I forgo the butter and just use oil, since I almost never use it anyway. I also cook in pepper rather than salt, throw in cheese either during cooking or after and just use taco sauce in place of the salsa, as well as adding a few bits of onion/scallions/cilantro if I have any of those on hand. Though I usually don't complicate things to that point.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah, a great majority of my recipes are designed to use as few ingredients as possible, because a. I don't always feel like making too much of a mess in the kitchen, particularly since I eat at home 75% of the time, and b. I try to conserve the food I do have as much as possible. And it's just faster. Cilantro wilts way too easily for my taste, too, as good as it may be with any Mexican dish. I like to use it with rice in a burrito, and in the same way you just mentioned as well.

Pork Chop ‘N Potato Bake

6 pork chops

Vegatable oil

Durkee Seasoned salt

1 can (10 ¾ oz) condensed cream of celery soup

½ cup milk

½ cup of sour cream

¼ teaspoon Durkee Ground Black Pepper

1 package (24oz) frozen O’Brien or hash brown potatoes, thawed

1 cup (4oz) shedded Cheddar Cheese

1 can (2.8oz) Durkee French Fried Onions

Brown pork chops in lightly greased skillet. Sprinkle with seasoned salt and set aside. Combine soup, milk, sour cream, pepper, and ½ teaspoon seasoned salt. Stir in potatoes, ½ cup cheese and ½ can of French Fried Onions. Spoon mixture intp 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Arrange pork chops over potatoes. Bake, covered at 350 for 60 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and onions, bake uncovered for 5 minutes longer.

Hot Cheese Dip (a favorite)

2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese

1 8ounce soft cream cheese

2 cups of sour cream

1 4ounce can of Old El Pase Chopped Chili Peppers (Mild)

1/4 cup of Pace Pacinte

1 jar of dry beef (dice them)

1 loaf of sourdough bread (uncut round)

Preheat oven to 350. Hollow out the sourdough loaf. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and pour into sourdough bread bowl. Put into the oven and cook for 1 hour. Serve with Triskets or Chicken in a Bisket crackers.

Speaking of breakfast, I made an impromptu frittata yesterday for some of the warm bodies that spent the night on my couch.

Half a dozen eggs

A little less than half an onion

A red pepper (any regular pepper works, but I had one of these in my fridge)

A couple of mushrooms

Some spinach leaves

Some thin slices of cheddar cheese (any cheese you have would probably work, as it just adds some fat and texture)

Chop up the onion, plop it in a 10-inch sautee or frying pan on low heat with a bit of olive oil. Slice the mushrooms and add them about 5 minutes later, and add the pepper (sliced) a couple minutes after that, adding oil as necessary. Drop the slices of cheese on there once everything's warm enough to get them melting. Meanwhile, beat the eggs, maybe add a little milk and salt, and then slowly pour the egg mixture into the pan. Layer the spinach leaves on top, switch to very low heat, and cover for about 10-12 minutes. The spinach should start to wilt and sink down into the mixture a bit. Once the egg is solid, separate the edges from the pan and flip it over onto a serving plate. You should end up with a nice crustless quiche with a slightly crispy layer of onion on top. Serves four especially well if you make some pancakes to go along with it.

Guest Vitamin X

That's very similar to my greek omelette, except minus the red pepper and onion, and use feta for cheese. And fold in half, obv.

Stuffed Mushrooms

I won't put amounts because it varies depending on how much you want to make:

Portabella mushrooms

italian sausage

breadcrumbs

onions

black pepper

red bell peppers

sundried tomatoes

mozzarella cheese

parmasean cheese

green onion

Brown the sausage in a pan

Scoop the mushroom stems out, so just the caps are there.

then paint on some olive oil onto the empty caps

Some people use the stems as part of the filling, so I would call it optional to chop them up.

chop up remaining ingredients(easiest if you have a food chopper or food precessor)

Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins at 350 degrees

Now for the finishing touch.....

Take the shrooms out of the oven and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over them generously

Now set your oven to broil and put the mushrooms back in and watch the cheese melt and tan/brown a bit.....then take them out, let them cool a bit, and you are ready to chow down.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, dude. Too easy.

Shrimp Mari-fuckin-nara.

You'll need: Olive Oil, chopped onion, chopped green bell pepper, garlic, basil, chopped tomatoes, and tomato paste. And the shrimp, obv.

Cook garlic, onion, pepper for a bit, until they're nice and tender. Add in everything else but the shrimp, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, then add the shrimp. Simmer THAT for 3-5. Served with hot cooked pasta. Spaghetti's perfect, it doesn't have to be anything fancy. Although this goes well with angel hair as well. Make sure you use plenty of shrimp, though!

Fried rice w/ shrimp is a good one, very easy, but best in moderation since it's really unhealthy. I prefer brown rice. Optionals include broccoli, carrots, peas/pea pods, mushrooms, sprouts, garlic, onion, scallions, water chestnuts, and peanuts and cashews. Cilantro or parsley fits in here, too, but as for other herbs to use, I'm unsure. Some like peppers in theirs, I don't. Oils to consider are canola and peanut, and butter solely for the sauteed shrimp and vegetables, though I like to just brown that stuff as is. Eggs, of course, but if you want to keep down unhealthy junk in what's already a bad dish, reduce their number or use whites only. I like only minimal soy sauce, since it's also unhealthy and very overpowering.

Cook your rice, set it aside, sautee your shrimp and vegetables together, along with your garlic, herbs and spices, until browned. Meanwhile, start your eggs, keeping them loose, like you're just cooking them scrambled, with just enough oil to get things started. Put the rice in with your eggs and more oil, let it steam for a bit, occasionally stirring, and after five or so minutes, add your vegetable and shrimp mixture with some soy sauce. Stir, cover and let it cook over low heat until ready

This thread needs Marvin.

I've never been much of a salad guy until I realized how insanely good they are with the right ingredients. Last night, I threw together a tasty salad that included:

- Couple tablespoons of balsamic vinegar

- Two ounces of extra virgin olive oil

- Four cups baby spinach

- 1-2 ounces of blue cheese crumbles

- Handful of cherry tomatoes

- Black pepper

If it hadn't been so late, I would've thrown in three or four marinated chicken tenders. A quality meal, right there and best yet, it virtually catches you up to speed on your recommended daily veggie intake, provides good fat, and a decent chunk of protein. I feel like making one right now.

Fried rice w/ shrimp is a good one, very easy, but best in moderation since it's really unhealthy.

Not if you're using brown rice. You still get a fair amount of carbs, but a meal like this is perfect as a post workout meal. Good mix of carbs and protein, which are essentials your body needs following a workout.

Some people think you need to abandon carbs in all cases to follow a healthy way of life. I still eat pasta, bread, rice, and the like. I just make sure it's whole wheat (or in the case of rice, brown) and the majority of the time, include it a PWO meal or breakfast if I'm actually up that early.

Guest Vitamin X

So, I just popped in a pizza in the oven. If you have a ton of veggies or whatever leftover, and you want to make a quick meal, pizza is perfect. I grabbed a $3 Boboli crust from Safeway and some pesto, and made an amazing little concoction.

Pesto Veggie Pizza (in order from crust to top)

Boboli Crust

Pesto Base

Mushrooms

Artichoke Hearts

Roasted Garlic

Tomato

I roasted two cloves of garlic at 375 degrees in my toaster oven, drizzling a bit of olive oil on top of the exposed cloves. (you remove the papery cover, then cut off the top of the head, essentially circumcising it). Roasting them takes about 30-40 minutes, but really just watch for them to get lightly browned, and soft and tender. If the cloves can be squeezed out without a problem, they're done right. So I just went ahead and lathered on the pesto with a large spoon, then added everything else and spread it out. Bake in the oven at 425 degrees for about 8-10 minutes, and there you go. The only thing I think this might have been missing is black olives, which I would've layered on the mushrooms.

Also, I'm drizzling on a little bit of this special olive oil I have that's full of active cultures and has a heat point of 80 degrees. It's really expensive, and usually used on salads, but I think this would be good on the pizza as a topping.

Wanted to share something I found in Alton Brown's book - homemade microwave popcorn.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup popping corn

Butter (whatever amount you like to use)

Salt

Brown Paper Bag

Stapler

- Melt the butter in the microwave first, which also serves to get the microwave pre-warmed

- Add the popping corn into the paper bag.

- Fold bag flat, getting rid of as much excess air as possible.

- Fold the top over twice in 1/2" folds. Staple the top twice, about 2/3" from the edges (no more than two staples!)

- Put the bag in the microwave, zap it and let it go until the pops are 2-3 seconds apart (about 2-3 minutes... the bag may burst)

- Open bag, dump contents into a bowl, add the butter and salt and enjoy.

The amazing thing to me is that the staples don't cause any sparks. This is tons cheaper than buying microwave popcorn, and you can control the amount of butter/salt/whatever you put in there. I generally get a pretty good popped to unpopped ratio as well, so I think it's great value for money.

Again, I found this in Alton Brown's book "I'm Just Here For the Food". It's a great read.

IMO, when cooking with shrimp, a lot of people make the mistake of buying already cooked shrimp because they figure it is less work. The problem is, that shrimp is usually meant to be dethawed and eaten cold, not really for cooking because it has already been cooked. Do yourself a favor and buy it uncooked and shelled. It doesn't have to be frozen, but definately get it uncooked, rather then just buying the "heat and serve" style.

Clam Linguine w/ white wine & olive oil sauce.

2 (10 ounce) cans baby clams

1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice (optional)

1/4-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

4-6 cloves garlic, chopped fine or put through a garlic press

1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes

black pepper, freshly ground

1 lb linguine

1/2 cup white wine

Heat olive oil in medium sauce pan- when oil is hot, remove pan from burner, add garlic and hot pepper and stir

(you want to be careful to not burn the garlic).

Add wine and cook off the alchol, about 2-3 minutes.

Drain juice from both cans of clams into saucepan, adding additional clam juice if necessary,

you should have about 3 cups of liquid, return to low heat.

Cook linguini according to package directions.

When pasta is ready, add clams to sauce and heat just until clams are heat through.

Be careful not to"overcook" the sauce once you have added the clams- the clams will become tough if you do.

********************************************************************************

This recipe is really simple. I just made it for the first time and it was a homerun. For such a small amount of ingredients in the actual sauce, it is very flavorful. A trick I like to use sometimes, is once I add the sauce to the pot of pasta, I cover it and let it mesh together a bit, instead of just serving it right away, because I like my pasta to have the "coated" feel to it, rather then just the look/feel of pasta w/ sauce running off the sides and onto the plate.

I also topped mine with a pinch of parmesean cheese, but that is optional. And since I like heat in my food, I doubled up on the red pepper flakes. Also, you probably don't NEED the extra bottle of clam juice, unless you like your pasta extra clammy, or you are making more then this recipe calls for. This should feed 4 people with a dinner appetite. I served it with Steamed Asparagus and French Bread.

Wanted to share something I found in Alton Brown's book - homemade microwave popcorn.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup popping corn

Butter (whatever amount you like to use)

Salt

Brown Paper Bag

Stapler

- Melt the butter in the microwave first, which also serves to get the microwave pre-warmed

- Add the popping corn into the paper bag.

- Fold bag flat, getting rid of as much excess air as possible.

- Fold the top over twice in 1/2" folds. Staple the top twice, about 2/3" from the edges (no more than two staples!)

- Put the bag in the microwave, zap it and let it go until the pops are 2-3 seconds apart (about 2-3 minutes... the bag may burst)

- Open bag, dump contents into a bowl, add the butter and salt and enjoy.

The amazing thing to me is that the staples don't cause any sparks. This is tons cheaper than buying microwave popcorn, and you can control the amount of butter/salt/whatever you put in there. I generally get a pretty good popped to unpopped ratio as well, so I think it's great value for money.

Again, I found this in Alton Brown's book "I'm Just Here For the Food". It's a great read.

If you have one of those corn kernal poppers, this is essentially doing the same thing. When I was a kid, we used the kernal popper all the time, and melted butter in the microwave, and when the popcorn was done popping and into the bowl, we just poured the butter/salt over it.

Alton Brown is a food god, I wonder what he considers better to use, a microwave, or one of those old-school kernal poppers.

I just wanted to beat Czech to the punch, since I like to cultivate this folder.

Here's a pretty decent breakfast recipe I made today.

2-4 eggs

some chorizo (can be bought at pretty much any supermarket in hispanic foods, or if you're in a heavily hispanic area, just the good ol' meats section. They looked like bright red sausages)

a couple small potatoes

1 tsp butter

1 flour tortilla

salsa

1. I chopped up the small potatoes in a large saucepan which I had set on high with some butter melting already. Try them on there, and wait for them to cook. This is the part that takes longest. You'll know they'll start to be done when the skins (yeah I don't peel them, the skins give them flavor plus it takes longer) start to brown.

2. While the potatoes (now becoming homefries, I suppose) are cooking, beat the eggs together in a small bowl, and keep aside. Add a bit of salt to taste, if you like.

3. Now that homefries/potatoes are done, add on the eggs, already beaten. Add the chorizo at this time as well, and using a spatula, mix them all up nicely. Now if you're using soyrizo, the meat doesn't take very long to cook, but with chorizo, I would recommend adding them in when the homefries are close to being done.

4. Warm up the tortilla. The best way to do this is to heat up a skillet and heat it for a few seconds on each side, but you can also microwave it for 10 seconds. The disadvantage to that is that they're harder to roll.

5. Spread the tortilla out on a plate, and add the egg/homefries/chorizo mixture in the middle, making sure not to fill it up TOO much. Doing that makes it hard to roll. You can make another burrito if you desire, but better to do too little than too much, especially if you're not really skilled at rolling burritos. Add the salsa.

6. Roll the burrito! There are a few guides out there on the web if you google it. What I usually do is make sure the filling is off center, spread out horizontally, more towards me than the other side. I fold the bottom part over the filling, then fold the two sides, then roll it forward. Wrapping it in aluminum foil helps, especially for novices since it helps hide a crappy job (which is why so many Mexican food places do this). I actually learned this first from watching people at Chipotle, and even the local Pita Pit.

Enjoy!

When I make chorizo, I usually make it with eggs, green pepper, and onions. When it is cooked up I throw some tortillas on the warmer, and roll a few of those suckers up. A great breakfast if I may say so. Sometimes we make them with potatoes, but quite frankly, I am the type of person where breakfast foods have a small window of time before my desire for them ends, so waiting for the potatoes to cook can get annoying.

When I make it, the chorizo goes in the pan first, it naturally breaks up and looks like the worst quality meat you have ever seen in your life, complete with the greasiest red grease you have ever laid your peepers on, but hey it's chorizo, that is how it is supposed to be. lol. Anyways, when the meat is about 3/4 done throw in the chopped green pepper and onion, break some eggs over it and let it finish cooking as the eggs cook. For an entire pack of Chorizo I use 4 eggs, so adjust accordingly.

Alton Brown is a food god, I wonder what he considers better to use, a microwave, or one of those old-school kernal poppers.

I don't know if he'd like the popcorn popper because it's one of those dreaded unitaskers.

I don't know if he'd like the popcorn popper because it's one of those dreaded unitaskers.

That's true. BTW he also went the Jiffy Pop route and did popcorn on the stove with a metal mixing bowl, foil and tongs as hardware. I believe he coated the kernels in oil though, so it's got more of a movie theatre taste to it.