TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

Halo3

I just discovered the ending of the game, and all the plot points. No spoilers here, but I find it very hard to believe that Halo has nothing to do with the Marathon trilogy at this point.

Considering how few of us probably ever owned Macs or downloaded the later Windows ports, why don't you elaborate (with spoiler tags, of course)?

I've tried to get into Durandal (the demo at this point), but it gives me headaches, so I doubt I could put any major effort into trying to get into the trilogy. Especially with the rumors of full-on remakes for the series.

When was the last time you tried it? They did make updates to reduce some of the.. issues with nausea and such.

I'm trying to play Durandal on Live arcade...

Man I have never gotten that nauseas playing a game.

There have been rare times where an FPS will get me a tad queasy...but that game is ridiculous.

But I'm a trooper and I'll keep going.

I just discovered the ending of the game, and all the plot points. No spoilers here, but I find it very hard to believe that Halo has nothing to do with the Marathon trilogy at this point.

Considering how few of us probably ever owned Macs or downloaded the later Windows ports, why don't you elaborate (with spoiler tags, of course)?

I've tried to get into Durandal (the demo at this point), but it gives me headaches, so I doubt I could put any major effort into trying to get into the trilogy. Especially with the rumors of full-on remakes for the series.

When was the last time you tried it? They did make updates to reduce some of the.. issues with nausea and such.

I don't think they'll let me make updates on an XBLA demo. It's good to hear I'm not the only one, though.

I think, after all, Halo isn't a continuation of Marathon. They just share a ton of themes, almost like a re-telling:

Semi-godlike figure battles against a confederation of alien species, the leader of which attempts to use old technology by a forgotten race to become a god, but ends up making things a lot worse. The purpose of this technology is to subdue and restrain a being of indescribable chaos. This same being also totally wrecked this forgotten race.

The situation is resolved by this semi-godlike figure ascending to a full god-like figure when somehow, matter is removed from the universe, which will most likely prevent the closure of the universe, and as a result, the person who enabled this is able to live beyond the end of time itself. Whether the ship that Master Chief is on is outside the domain of the universe is completely debatable.

Other themes:

AIs going crazy

A friendly female AI going crazy

The person responsible for creating the AI's is most likely crazy, like nutbag crazy (Dr. Halsey in the books, though I haven't finished Ghosts of Onyx)

An AI of questionable ethics having been crazy for some time (debatable, if the Forerunners created Guilty Spark this link is incredibly tenuous)

This same AI really hating the forgotten race

AIs going crazy as a result of a sudden influx of a lot of knowledge

AIs living seven years before going crazy (Halo books)

There being a giant hole on Earth, in pretty much the same place, in every one of Bungie's game (maybe not Oni, but I never played through Oni). The hole exists in Pathways Into Darkness, Marathon, and Myth. In Pathways, the hole was originally created by one fo the beings of chaos, but the humans detonate a nuke and stun it, then the forgotten race show up and take more permanent measure (installing an Ark?)

Tiny details, most likely homages than actual links:

An alien race called the Drinniol exists in both games.

SPNKR rocket launcher.

Mjolnir Battle armor.

I invite debate.

I beat the game yesterday, played it pretty much all afternoon/night and I really liked it. Good storytelling but I do have to agree that the AI (Brutes, Grunts, Jeckels) were easy to mow down, Flood, not so much, but I really did enjoy the game and can't wait to try and beat it on Legendary.

from what I've heard/read/seen..Halo3 seems worthy of most overhyped game of the year...? Im kinda shocked that they'd pull and EA with the game but I guess they knew everyone would probably buy it anyway..

What are you reading seeing and hearing? Because the game is pretty much universally reviewed positively.

Thoth: there's also a terminal right before you get to the cartographer where the fonts and look is very similar to Marathon as well.

What are you reading seeing and hearing? Because the game is pretty much universally reviewed positively.

I doubt it's the scores as much as the advertising campaign. It's a bit much.

Random thoughts:

Whatever happened to the Grunts, Hunters, and Elites banding together to oppose the Brutes, Prophets, and the rest of the Covenant? After the civil war erupted back in Halo 2, I thought those others would be working with the humans. Yet, here I am again, sneaking up on and killing Grunts.

Hunters I can see, maybe they were just being taken in by money or just blindly believed the Prophets, but the Arbiter was like a warrior Jesus to the Grunts. It seems odd that they'd be fighting against him and the Elites.

Anya mentioned that there's some Firefly actors along with some Firefly references in the game.

Music is one area where Halo continues to trounce Gears of War. At least until Gears gets more than just, like, one song during most gameplay.

Tossing a grenade at a ROCKET POWERED Brute just as he's landing, having it stick to his groin, and getting to watch him freak out for a second or so, before he explodes, is really f'n funny.

Grunts hate Elites. They follow the prophets but hated the fact that the Elites saw Grunts of nothing more than someone to die for them. I have no idea about the Hunters, but if you read the books you find out that Grunts have always hated the Elites.

Anya mentioned that there's some Firefly actors along with some Firefly references in the game.

I didn't notice any references (although to be honest I wasn't really looking for them) but I did hear Adam Baldwin and Nathan Fillion as soldiers. Alan Tudyk did some voice work as well, but I didn't notice his voice to be honest.

There's apparently a Red vs. Blue easter egg in one of the scenes. I think it's at the beginning of the stage where you look through a doorway and you see a Warthog getting 'naded. You're supposed to turn off the main hallway and down a path until you come to a locked door where apparently two of ther RVB characters (it changes depending on the difficulty level from what I've heard) arguing about getting let in. It's supposedly pretty funny, I'll go back and see if I can find it for sure. Then of course there's the skulls scattered throughout the game. Haven't heard of anything else for sure though.

So what happens to Chief?

The ending suggests that Chief is dead, but from talking to a few friends they say that if you stay thru the credits, you find out the ship got broken up into pieces and that Chief is in one of his space pods awaiting The Arbiter and Shipmaster to go and pick him up

The ending suggests that Chief is dead, but from talking to a few friends they say that if you stay thru the credits, you find out the ship got broken up into pieces and that Chief is in one of his space pods awaiting The Arbiter and Shipmaster to go and pick him up

Too bad no one's ever going to find him. Except maybe his great great great great grandfather from the parallel universe.

Credits end, screen goes black. You hear Cortana calling to Chief, who's floating in a ship compartment. Apparently the ship he and the Arbiter were in was cut in half by the Ark portal closing, but unbeknownst to the Arbiter the Cheif was in the part that made it through the portal. Cortana says that she'll launch a beacon, but it might take years before they're found since the area is, as far as humans are concerned, uninhabited. Cortana says there's not enough food, water, and oxygen for the Chief to survive on. So, Chief locks himself in a survival pod (think "The Hushed Casket" from Halo 1) and tells Cortana to wake him when they are found or if he's needed again. Screen pulls back to find the ship apparently floating towards what looks like a mechanical planet.

I don't know if this is a lead in to Marathon (I never played it) or if it's a way to keep the door open for another series. It does seem to indicated that the Master Chief may not be done though.

Credits end, screen goes black. You hear Cortana calling to Chief, who's floating in a ship compartment. Apparently the ship he and the Arbiter were in was cut in half by the Ark portal closing, but unbeknownst to the Arbiter the Cheif was in the part that made it through the portal. Cortana says that she'll launch a beacon, but it might take years before they're found since the area is, as far as humans are concerned, uninhabited. Cortana says there's not enough food, water, and oxygen for the Chief to survive on. So, Chief locks himself in a survival pod (think "The Hushed Casket" from Halo 1) and tells Cortana to wake him when they are found or if he's needed again. Screen pulls back to find the ship apparently floating towards what looks like a mechanical planet.

I don't know if this is a lead in to Marathon (I never played it) or if it's a way to keep the door open for another series. It does seem to indicated that the Master Chief may not be done though.

Mechanical planet? Shit, no kidding. Can you be descriptive about it? That throws a monkey wrench into the Marathon thing. Unless it's like, a rebuilt S'pht homeworld or something...

I didn't notice any references (although to be honest I wasn't really looking for them) but I did hear Adam Baldwin and Nathan Fillion as soldiers. Alan Tudyk did some voice work as well, but I didn't notice his voice to be honest.

There's apparently a Red vs. Blue easter egg in one of the scenes. I think it's at the beginning of the stage where you look through a doorway and you see a Warthog getting 'naded. You're supposed to turn off the main hallway and down a path until you come to a locked door where apparently two of ther RVB characters (it changes depending on the difficulty level from what I've heard) arguing about getting let in. It's supposedly pretty funny, I'll go back and see if I can find it for sure. Then of course there's the skulls scattered throughout the game. Haven't heard of anything else for sure though.

.......do you mean the one I posted here?

.......do you mean the one I posted here?

Seeing as how I've never actually seen it, I'm going to say "yes", although a simple "I posted about it earlier" would have been sufficient.

And Thoth:

It's hard to see, because all you can really see is what looks to be a crater impacted surface and what APPEARS to be a lot of metallic looking surface area that you can see when some light flares overhead of the camera. It's all conjecture though, since it's not terribly clear.

Seeing as how I've never actually seen it, I'm going to say "yes", although a simple "I posted about it earlier" would have been sufficient.

Well, it was two Marines, who don't use each other's names, and it sounded RvB-ish. I wasn't sure if that was it or if that was something else they did, and they had another sequence.

Why does everyone seem to think I'm a smartass?

I finished campaign last night. At first, I had a hard time on the last level, because I handled it like I handle any Flood level...beat feet and and try to get the hell where I need to go. That failed...again and again.

Then I got pissed and decided to annihilate every damn one of them. That worked.

Well, it was two Marines, who don't use each other's names, and it sounded RvB-ish. I wasn't sure if that was it or if that was something else they did, and they had another sequence.

Why does everyone seem to think I'm a smartass?

I finished campaign last night. At first, I had a hard time on the last level, because I handled it like I handle any Flood level...beat feet and and try to get the hell where I need to go. That failed...again and again.

Then I got pissed and decided to annihilate every damn one of them. That worked.

hehe look what I got started.

I wonder if the metal planet is the planet that was talked about in Ghosts of Onyx

My roommate and I going through the legandary campaign right now, and I am really enjoying it.

The sheer site of the crab tank almost made me fall completely back into my couch. Meanwhile...fuckin' flood...

I played it.

Can I just say that this game really really doesn't work well with two players, at all?

1) The levels are too big

2) The stupid shield recharging thing. That needs to be turned off for one on one, but every single person used to Halo just bitches about it. Yeah, so you can camp the rocket launcher?

So the last couple of days I've tried to jump online for some multiplayer action, but everytime it keeps telling me "Information could not be received from Halo3 servers" or something along those lines. I can play online on everything else, so it's not like my internet is messed up or anything, but for some reason it won't let me play. Anyone else have this happen to them?

So the last couple of days I've tried to jump online for some multiplayer action, but everytime it keeps telling me "Information could not be received from Halo3 servers" or something along those lines. I can play online on everything else, so it's not like my internet is messed up or anything, but for some reason it won't let me play. Anyone else have this happen to them?

It happened to me last night when my cousin and I were trying to play.

I finally got around to playing it after fixing my 360 issue. Pretty much the same sentiments as everyone else. I did also feel like the enemies were easier, even for normal (gonna attempt legendary soon). Haven't got around to multi-player yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Gravemind 'appears' when the flood appear, I think the level is called The Ark. You get warpy voice overs from him, similar to Cortana. He physically appears, slightly, later on in the game.

I've already played and beaten the game (7 times, on legendary) so I just want to go through individual levels again.