TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 77: Hostile Territory

I think if Rich has a chance of winning the fight, he needs to have a better gameplan.

Standing in front of Anderson and hoping to outstrike him is only going to land you with a one way ticket to dreamland.

I was thinking in my head that Silva outstruck Chonan in their fight and was winning until the heel hook, but I watched it for the first time since I saw it live and Chonan was not only winning but beating Silva in stand-up. He actually fought smart, picking his shots, avoiding the Thai clinch, and finding openings to take Silva down. I think Rich CAN do all of these things, but I still see Silva winning the fight just based on how bad he beat Rich last time out, though it will probably go the distance as opposed to a stoppage this time out.

Too bad it's probably the best fight Chonan will ever have since he's been pretty unimpressive ever since.

I think if Rich has a chance of winning the fight, he needs to have a better gameplan.

Standing in front of Anderson and hoping to outstrike him is only going to land you with a one way ticket to dreamland.

I was thinking in my head that Silva outstruck Chonan in their fight and was winning until the heel hook, but I watched it for the first time since I saw it live and Chonan was not only winning but beating Silva in stand-up. He actually fought smart, picking his shots, avoiding the Thai clinch, and finding openings to take Silva down. I think Rich CAN do all of these things, but I still see Silva winning the fight just based on how bad he beat Rich last time out, though it will probably go the distance as opposed to a stoppage this time out.

Too bad it's probably the best fight Chonan will ever have since he's been pretty unimpressive ever since.

I think it's also fair to say Silva has improved since the Chonan fight, and has turned into a much stronger middleweight since then.

I think it's also fair to say Silva has improved since the Chonan fight, and has turned into a much stronger middleweight since then.

True, he's looked like a different fighter since he left Pride. In fact, he never really did much in Pride, except giving Alex Steibling a 0.7 Muta, kneeing the shit out of Carlos Newton's face on a shoot after a lame stand-up, and letting Alexander Otsuka lay in his triangle for twenty minutes.

I would just like to say I am picking Franklin in the rematch.

That is all.

You've been hating on Anderson Silva pratically every post I've seen you post on him. If he hasn't impressed you with the Marquardt fight, then you need to stop sipping on the haterade. Marquardt is a more overall skilled then Franklin ever is, his overall grappling is much better then Franklins. If anyone had the perfect style to defeat Anderson Silva, it was him(although Henderson at 185 could beat Silva I don't think Lindland would be able to).

Franklin should do better in the rematch(he can't do worse then the 1st fight), but really whats he going to do? Take him down? Although Franklin has above average wrestling, Anderson has proven he is dangerous off his back and could damage Franklin. His BJJ is better then Franklins, striking it's not even close. I just can't see how Franklin can win this fight. Home town advantage? Anderson was booed out of the building the 1st fight, so I can't see how this will effect him.

I am not in the "franklin was going through blah blah blah" crowd. He fought a stupid fight plan last time and looked like either he didn't properly prepare or prepared like a idiot. I don't expect that again.

Mostly I am counting on Franklin not being a retard and trying to go toe to toe with him like last time which was the worst thing he could do. A smarter fight of picking his spots and yeah, actually getting him to the ground. Franklin, I think, could grind this one out.

Rich Franklin was actually doing decent when he decided to trade from the outside, he tagged him a couple of times. The problems began in the clinch. His gameplan was actually to fight from the clinch which was retarded, especially considering he couldn't handle Rivera in the clinch and Anderson Silva dominated Rivera when they fought, some of it in the clinch. That surprised me a lot because he's normally very smart when it comes to strategies. Anyway, if he uses the right strategy, he could win, but he has to hit on all cylinders and essentially fight a perfect fight.

Rich Franklin was actually doing decent when he decided to trade from the outside, he tagged him a couple of times. The problems began in the clinch. His gameplan was actually to fight from the clinch which was retarded, especially considering he couldn't handle Rivera in the clinch and Anderson Silva dominated Rivera when they fought, some of it in the clinch. That surprised me a lot because he's normally very smart when it comes to strategies. Anyway, if he uses the right strategy, he could win, but he has to hit on all cylinders and essentially fight a perfect fight.

You're pretty much right, Rich has to fight a perfect fight in order to win.

But the thing is I think he is still intimdated of Anderson Silva, I mean look at his facial reaction after Silva destroyed Marquardt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmPFvUxQ3ec

He looked scared shitless at the fact he was facing Anderson Silva again.

I don't think his face was that scared. He look like he was concentrating, not so much scared shitless. Look at his face as he makes his way to the ring the first time he fought Silva.... THAT is scared shitless.

In a (unless I'm wrong here) first for UFC.com articles they actually have a Fantasy Preview set up for this show. Some interesting, some not-so interesting thoughts. Here's the cliff notes on the finishes..........

Silva vs Franklin- TKO, sometime in the third

Vera vs Sylvia- Split decision

Bonnar vs Schafer- UD

Belcher vs Starnes- UD

Silva's knees in the clinch are literally twice as fast as most other guys, it's insane how much faster those knees are.

Anything can happen of course but Silva has to be the heavy favorite here. It's not clear to me that Rich has any advantage striking outside or on the ground and Silva has a huge advantage from the clinch.

So, it seems that Lombard is off the card and UFC is switching things around, giving us Karo Parysian vs Ryo Chonan on the main card with Chris Lytle taking the place of Chonan taking on Thiago Alves on the undercard.

This card just got better, sez I.

richfranklinnose2iu7.jpg

Rich Franklin wakes up today knowing that it was one year ago that his nose, face and all-around body was on the receiving end of one of the greatest one-sided ass kickings in MMA history.

While I am a Vera fan, and I am not a Tim fan, I think I think Tim's going to pull this one out

How so? I can't see Sylvia winning this one unless he lands a really lucky KO punch. Vera is so much more techncial skilled then him. Sylvia might be bigger, but I can't see that as being the reason Sylvia wins.

That's my biggest concern, his hands are questionable in and of itself. He's also yet to really be tested against a guy with the power and toughness of Sylvia.

I'm 50/50 on who I think will win, but it's one of those fights where afterwards it will seem so obvious as to who was going to be the victor.

I'm borderline 50/50 myself, and I'll be rooting for Vera. But I think Tim will knock him out, the size may be too much for Vera to overcome. Tim hasn't looked good lately, he usually wins ugly. I know Tim isn't well liked, but dude rarely gets rocked and hits hard.

Guest Warriorfan

Champion Anderson Silva vs. Rich Franklin - Silva RD 1 2:35 KO

Tim Sylvia vs. Brandon Vera- Vera RD 3 1:15 ko

Jason MacDonald vs. Yushin Okami- Okami Decision

Josh Burkman vs. Forrest Petz- Burkman submission RD 2 1:40

Stephan Bonnar vs. Eric Schafer- Stephan Bonnar RD 2 3:30 KO

Alan Belcher vs. Kalib Starnes- Starnes Decision

Jorge Gurgel vs. Alvin Robinson- Robinson Decision

Demian Maia vs. TBA

Jason Black vs. Matt Grice

I don't think Franklin can ever get over the psychological damage of being beaten to the point of having his face broken by Silva. The hometown pressure is not doing Franklin any favors as well. I think Silva was actually nervous during that first fight and has the benefit of title defenses and improved skills in his favor.

I want to pick Sylva but I personally can't stand the guy. I think Vera will last long enough to bring stamina into question; Sylva will gas first and Vera will finish him.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1344078cx4B5PQa

Anderson always starts out slow so people always come off with the impression that "Anderson's opponent was winning the fight up until..." which is just complete bullshit. Once Anderson is "awake" he just walks right in and kicks ass. I can't wait to see what Anderson can do in a rematch since it's the first rematch he's ever had. I'm looking at their entire first fight as the "starting out slow" phase and the actual rematch as the "walking right in and kicking ass" phase. If that's how it actually turns out, then we will witness an even bigger ass kicking than last year's.