TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Favorite match finishes

I recall that curious SD US title match from 2004 as well. In fact there was something so cool there that they never really delved into at all. Around the time of that match I recall an angle on SD where RVD basically flipped out and kicked Cena right in the face during a face off. It was really interesting and seemed to be showing a more edgy tweener side of RVD, but of course he was getting buried at that point so they didn't really follow it. At least not for another two years.

Dreamer/Anderson "I Quit" from Guilty as Charged '01: Dreamer is getting his ass kicked for the bulk of the match, like he usually does, and then BAM! Spicolli Driver ("LOUIE!!!!!!!!") through a table...and then Dreamer takes the lining of the table, wraps it around CW's face, and gives him a pseudo-Crossface with the lining of the outside of the table. One of the best finishes in late ECW, if not THE best finish to a match in latter-years ECW.

Taz/Candido from Hardcore Heaven '97: Candido is, basically, man-handling Taz outside of some suplexes and armbars here and there, and then Candido puts Taz on the top rope for a superplex. He turns around, mocks Taz by cutting his throat...WHILE TAZ CUTS HIS OWN THROAT. WHAM! Tazmission, and Candido taps as soon as they hit the mat.

Lynn/Credible from Anarchy Rulz '00: Ref's out for a sec. Credible thinks Lynn's done, but Lynn gets up, PISSED, and then lays into Credible as the hometown crowd goes berserk. Lynn lifts Credible for a Tombstone, the crowd going nuts, and then Credible rolls out of it into one of his own as the crowd boos mercilessly, and then Lynn rolls back into his own...CRADLES IT...and BAM! ECW World champion, Jerry Lynn, all in front of his hometown crowd.

Lynn/Styles from a late '02 TNA weekly PPV (forget the exact date): Styles, the X-Division champion, has been a thorn in Lynn's side since taking Lynn's credit as early as Week 4 (7/10/02). After a solid match with enough high-flying and solid chain-wrestling, Styles looks to end it with the Styles Clash. 1-2-kickout! Styles brings Lynn back up, and Lynn gets him for a tombstone, CRADLES IT...BAM! 2-time X-Division champion Jerry Lynn. What was perfect about the finish was that Lynn used the same move he did a little over 2 years prior to win his first major title.

Dreamer/Anderson "I Quit" from Guilty as Charged '01: Dreamer is getting his ass kicked for the bulk of the match, like he usually does, and then BAM! Spicolli Driver ("LOUIE!!!!!!!!") through a table...and then Dreamer takes the lining of the table, wraps it around CW's face, and gives him a pseudo-Crossface with the lining of the outside of the table. One of the best finishes in late ECW, if not THE best finish to a match in latter-years ECW.

Taz/Candido from Hardcore Heaven '97: Candido is, basically, man-handling Taz outside of some suplexes and armbars here and there, and then Candido puts Taz on the top rope for a superplex. He turns around, mocks Taz by cutting his throat...WHILE TAZ CUTS HIS OWN THROAT. WHAM! Tazmission, and Candido taps as soon as they hit the mat.

Lynn/Credible from Anarchy Rulz '00: Ref's out for a sec. Credible thinks Lynn's done, but Lynn gets up, PISSED, and then lays into Credible as the hometown crowd goes berserk. Lynn lifts Credible for a Tombstone, the crowd going nuts, and then Credible rolls out of it into one of his own as the crowd boos mercilessly, and then Lynn rolls back into his own...CRADLES IT...and BAM! ECW World champion, Jerry Lynn, all in front of his hometown crowd.

Lynn/Styles from a late '02 TNA weekly PPV (forget the exact date): Styles, the X-Division champion, has been a thorn in Lynn's side since taking Lynn's credit as early as Week 4 (7/10/02). After a solid match with enough high-flying and solid chain-wrestling, Styles looks to end it with the Styles Clash. 1-2-kickout! Styles brings Lynn back up, and Lynn gets him for a tombstone, CRADLES IT...BAM! 2-time X-Division champion Jerry Lynn. What was perfect about the finish was that Lynn used the same move he did a little over 2 years prior to win his first major title.

I hated the Tazz/ Candido finish. I thought it was so cheesy

I thought it was pretty cool. Candido's all cocky, thinking he has the Human Suplex Machine beat, and then as soon as he takes his mind off of him...DEAD. It helped put over (not that it needed to be put over at the time) that Taz was a killing machine, one who could not be stopped but only temporarily slowed down. The match itself was pretty lame, mostly Candido stomping on Taz and Taz throwing some suplexes here and there, but I loved the finish.

Bret Hart Vs. ----- B----- @ Mayhem 1999 - I loved the reversal of the Crippler Crossface attempt into the Sharpshooter. It was done so smoothly. Great finish.

Brock Lesnar Vs. The Undertaker @ No Mercy 2002 - I thought the match itself was outstanding. It was one of the best matches I had ever saw. Undertaker bladed deep, but no way I thought he was going to lose clean, but Lesnar managed to reverse the Tombstone into the F5 with ease. On that night he gave Brock Lesnar a HUGE rub and IMO the best Hell In The Cell ever.

Batista Vs. HHH @ Vengeance 2005 - I didn't think Batista had a chance in Hell of retaining the title. It was so surreal watching this live right before my eyes front row in my hometown. It was quite a nice little brawl with some cool spots and then we got the end where Batista was going to finish this feud once and for all by lifting The Game for the Batista Bomb, but Hunter sneakly grabbed his trusty sledgehammer and was going in for the kill to steal yet another win and the title, but Batista dropped his ass just in time to finally end the HHHIAC streak. You don't come any closer than this.

HHH Vs. John Cena @ Wrestlemania 22 - Once again, I didn't think Cena had a chance in Hell of keeping the WWE Championship, HHH was the challenger and many fans had grown tired of Cena's stay as the champ. For weeks and weeks, HHH kept putting down by saying things like how he can't wrestle, yet in the end, it was HHH that fell for one of the oldest reversals in the book, the drop toe hold. HHH is sooooooo close to the ropes. He had gotten out of the submission earlier by grabbing them, so what does Cena do? He grabs HHH's arm to prevent him from doing it again. HHH has no choice, but to tap out and Cena gets possibly one of the greatest upset wins there ever was. One of the best Wrestlemania matches and endings in my book.

Diesal vs Bret Hart at Survivor Series '95. Diesal put Hart through hell, powerbombing him through a table and all and thinks he finally put him down for good but then Bret out of nowhere nails a small package and pins him so quickly. Diesal let his guard down for one second and the match is over. Plus, you had Nash screaming "Fuck motherfucker!" after he lost.

Undertaker vs HHH at Wrestlemania X7. Taker nails the tombstone on HHH, a move he hasn't used in years and he has the win in the bag but the ref is out. Taker goes for the Last Ride but HHH nails him with the sledgehammer while he's up. Everyone thinks Taker's done but he kicks out at 2 and a half. HHH can't believe it and wonder what it'll take to put the Deadman down. He then gets desperate and starts to pound on Taker in the corner but suddenly, Taker nails the Last Ride and pins him clean. Without a doubt one of my favorite ending sequences ever.

Steve Corino vs Justin Credible at November To Remember '00. Credible is just nailing Corino repeatedly with the cane, just hitting him one after another after another, everyone thinks Corino is done because it wasn't until very recently he was taken seriously as a wrestler and suddenly out of nowhere, BAM! Corino nails the superkick and pins him to become the ECW World Champion, something NO ONE would have thought 6 months prior. Still one of my favorite inspirational wins ever.

Austin Aries' flurry on Samoa Joe at Final Battle 04 can still give me chills. They had been building up the fact that Aries had been doing some training in the New Japan Dojo, and it came into play when Aries just hits beautifully timed kick to the face and finishes Joe with the Brainbuster/450 combo.

The match where Marufuji beat Taue for the GHC had an insane ending sequence. Taue goes for an avalanche chokeslam, but Maru backflips out, superkicks Taue-PERFECT CRADLE~!!-new GHC Champ.

Bret's counter into the Sharpshooter against Mr. Perfect at Summerslam 91

You know what all I can think of is Bret Hart matches right now. I'm also remembering the end of his match with Razor Ramon at Royal Rumble 1993.

hehe me too for some reason, i thought of about 10 different finishes with Bret but decided to just post my favorite one.

oh yeah, the Flaming table Spear from Wrestlemania 22 was awesome too, and the selling from Edge after winning was perfect.

Guest Custom Made

Austin/Hart from WM 13 will always be my favorite finish ever.

Some other favorites are:

'92 Rumble

Austin/Rock - WM 19

Austin/HHH vs. Benoit/Jericho - RAW 5/21/01

Flair/Steamboat - Clash Of The Champions VI

Flair/Steamboat - WrestleWar

Flair/Sting - Clash Of The Champions I

HHH/Cactus Jack - Royal Rumble '00

Danielson/KENTA - Glory By Honor V: Night 2

Michaels/Ramon - WM X

Misawa/Kawada - 6/3/94

And many more I'm forgetting.

The table lining was across CW's eyes. His EYES! It truly was an awesome finish.

The table lining was across CW's eyes. His EYES! It truly was an awesome finish.

That ending was brutal. It was one of the rare times in wrestling when I thought "Shit, I'd quit too if that happened to me"

The Harts vs. The Quebecers from Rumble '94, as far as referee stoppages goes it was one of the better ones and it was the lead in to a great feud. And on the Harts note, I always have a soft-spot for the ending to the Backlund/Bret I Quit Match at Survivor Series. Owen's performance always cracks me up and Stu and Helen, for outside personalities, played their well too. Plus the backing it gave Owen as a heel.

actually eddies splash didnt immediately follow goldberg. eddie only got a two count off that and then decided to cheat by grabbing the title belt, missed a swing with it, Brock lifts him into position for the f-5, starts to do it, in mid-air eddie counters into a kind of tornado ddt, right smack onto the belt, then went up top for the splash, still a great finish yes.

even though it was goofy , Booker T spinarooneying right into the rock bottom at summerslam 01 was pretty good too.

others of mine including

yokozuna slips while attempting the banzai at wm x

Steamboat-Flair Chi-Town Rumble

steamboat-austin (clash of champions 93, where Steamer wins the tv title aftre austin trhows him out of the ring. by sneaking under the ring, austin doesnt know where he is, steam climbs the opposite side ropes and just catches steve with the flying crossbody for the win)

Flair-Vader Starrcade 93 (Flair is chopping vader, vader boxes Flairs ears to drop him, turns to maybe go run the ropes, flair grabs the ankle, trips him and rolls on top for the pin to a HUGE pop in Charlotte,NC)

Orton-Cena summerslam 07

Cena-Umaga Rumble 07 where he chokes him out with the ring ropes.

Cactus-HHH Rumble 00, Cactus kicks out of the pedigree, so Trips does it again RIGHT INTO THE TACKS for the win and cactus has tacks in his head

Here's a few I found that you folks haven't mentioned yet.

Magnum T.A.-Tully Blanchard "I Quit" at Starrcade '85...watching Magnum try to drive that table leg right into Tully's eye would have made even the baddest man alive wince in pain just seeing this.

Steamboat-Rude...Beach Blast '92...the last few minutes were an example of what wrestling should be. The fans are on the edge of their seat and when Steamboat gets the deciding pin right before time expires the place comes unglued.

Rock-Mankind from Royal Rumble '99...the fans are begging Foley to somehow escape the handcuffs and storm back and when you hear the taped voice over the PA "I QUIT!" the place is about to violently erupt in protest. Really put Rock over as a heel.

TLC at WM 17 with Dudleys/E&C/Hardys...the last few minutes are very intense as you bounce among which of the three is somehow going to pull out the win.

Just watching it again, I really love the finish to Rock vs. Austin at WM 17. The heel turn, I know, is hit or miss for a lot of people, but I love how Austin just DESTROYS Rock with the chair. Up to that point, Rock had kicked out of several Stunners and a chairshot. So what does Austin do? He gets desperate and kills Rock with the chair, shot after shot. It's really not that often that you see anyone repeatedly use a chair or any other weapon like that.