TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Cucaracha

THE (kinda) *NEW* SWF!

I've been promising to put this up for long enough so here we go. Any questions anyone's got that this doesn't answer, please ask them.

(Also Tom, Raynor, what's the story on modship? I only ask because I'm already Mod on the OAOAST folder, does that cause a problem with me being one here? Assuming I need to be of course.)

'New' SWF?

Well, not so much new as restructured. The current schedule seems to have run it's course a little.

So, what's new?

From now on, Storm is out. Instead of doing a weekly 'TV' show and struggling to come up with an interesting card each week, the shows will happen as and when we have the writers onboard. I'm working on the assumption that we'll get roughly 2 shows a month. The way I figure it, anyone who has even a passing interest in the fed should be able to manage two shows a month. Of course, if we can get more shows then all the better. Should we struggle one month, we can go down to one. It's much more flexible.

The idea would probably be to try and sell it as each show being a 'one-off' rather than each show being part of a weekly chain, which would in theory be more interesting for the writers. Think of it more as a schedule that a promotion like Ring Of Honor would use rather than the WWE-esque schedule we'd been using.

Card booking

Because we're working on the premise of just writing when we have enough writers, the way the cards are made is going to change. With CC having to rely on their own judgment over whether someone is 'active' or not aside from requests not to be booked, it's causing problems.

So, everyone who's committed themselves to being involved is on a PM list. When the show is being prospectively put together, everybody will be PMed or IMed or whatever other methods we can come up with, basically asking if you can and want to be booked for the upcoming show. We'll also start to ask people about bookings a show or two in advance as we get more of an idea of how many shows a month is managable. Within reason, this also allows us, and yourselves between you, to try and tailor the matches to you a little more. The more we can book ahead of time, obviously, the better.

People can then come and go as they please. We'll figure out in time who are the more regular contributors and who we can rely on once every few months for one shots and who to only bother with once in a blue moon.

Vets

As it's only approx. two shows, there'd be no reason why the lurking vets (you know who you are) couldn't come in and be competitive again. Where-as before you'd have to come back for a few weeks at a time and write for a certain number of shows before trailing off, now there's nothing to stop anyone at all from coming in for one show, two shows, whatever you want really. From now on, you tell us what you can and can't commit to.

Obviously we have our list of 'active' writers who'll be contacted. We'll also throw some feelers out now and again no doubt to try and get you in for a But, if you're interested in coming in to write something and aren't one of our active writers, you can just contact either me or Toxxic/MikeOfEvil and let us know.

Newbs

People can still come in the same way as now, no problem. With the way the schedule will be, with 'events' rather than 'TV shows', we can give them dark matches to test them out before booking them on the shows proper. We also have the New Blood Title, which will be open only to writers of a certain experience and provide a realistic goal for any fledgling writers, while they settle in before they're put against veteran writers on a regular basis.

No-showers

Because it's destined to happen with some, no matter what the schedule. If people are actually making a verbal commitment to the fed, then we can in theory be able to punish people for not showing by putting them in dark matches or eventually taking them off the PM list if they persist.

In the meantime...

The board will be used for promos in between the shows, something akin to ROH having a VideoWire on their website, or CZW (before they began to self-destruct) putting up XPosed, which was basically promos on the website, hyping the month's arena show. Basically the same as it is now. Or, when people wrote board promos. I'm hoping (fingers deeply crossed) that we'll get more board promos to make up for the gaps in between shows, to keep characters strong and storylines going.

Once we have a decent card together, it'll go up and we work everything else (who can be booked, any match requests, letting people know there's a card) through PMs and AIMs and e-mails and so on. The card will go up in advance and be locked. Then, as new matches are arranged, the card will be updated with posts to announce each new match as well. There'll also be a seperate thread created each time, in which everybody can discuss the show, make challenges, suggestions, have non-sequitor discussions, make snide comments at people's expense- all the stuff you've come to know and cherish from the SWF board.

Title situation

All title records as of Genesis' end will be preserved as is. A new title tracking system will then start, based on the Japanese style of ranking by defences rather than days. Obviously in character you're more than welcome to bring up how many months you've had the belt. But the 'official' title histories will go by defences. Title lineage stays the same too, so if you're already a two time champ pre-restructure and win it again post-restructure, you'll be a three-time champ but it won't affect the 'Most Days As Champion' record we used to have.

As of now, we have four titles- World Heavyweight, Tag Team, Cruiserweight, Hardcore Gamers and New Blood. For the time being they will all stay. After a few shows we'll re-evaluate if we need to drop one or not.

Apart from Landon not being able to tell the difference between four belts and five (due to a recent edit, I suspect), I heartily endorse this message. I had previously been against losing the 'one show a week' schedule, but recently I've come to realise that I wouldn't have been staying past Genesis if that was the still the case (yes, even I burn out eventually) so I'm actually backing him on this one.

One thing he hasn't asked about is markers. If Landon and I are taking over booking duties but still also writing actively, that's one potential conflict of interests right there (and I know that not everyone views us in the same light as stalwarts like Raynor and Tom, who've both managed it previously), so for us to be marking as well is potentially even more problems.

Three questions:

-who is willing to mark matches for the new system?

-what do people think of us booking and writing? (I think I can guarantee that gratuitous title shots will not be awarded, but I want to address any concerns)

-what do people think of the potential of us marking and writing? (obviously, we would not mark any matches that directly affect us. So if I beat Johnny and become World Champion, I won't be marking any #1 Contenders matches for the World Title. Even so, I can see that some people might not be happy).

Speak now, please.

I don't mind marking if help is needed. I also don't really care who is marking so long as they do it right, and can back up why one match wins and why the other loses.

So does this mean that all of the titles will be defended every show, or will we be able to do other stuff in it's place at times? i.e. doing a wargames, or survivor match where champions can be involved without having to go double duty.

Also, with an advance schedule we could so do King of the Ring on one show.

Depending how Genesis goes for me, I shall hopefully hang around. In some shape or form. So I'll be up for helping, at least. My current job means I can mostly stay up late enough as well to mark and etc.

The ideas all look good to me certainly.

I don't mind marking if help is needed. I also don't really care who is marking so long as they do it right, and can back up why one match wins and why the other loses.

So does this mean that all of the titles will be defended every show, or will we be able to do other stuff in it's place at times? i.e. doing a wargames, or survivor match where champions can be involved without having to go double duty.

Also, with an advance schedule we could so do King of the Ring on one show.

I think to say something like 'all titles will be defended every show' is automatically booking ourselves into a corner. At the moment the World Title is defended what, once a month at most? ie a PPV shot and a midterm shot. So if we're aiming for two shows a month we're going to cycle through challengers VERY quickly. We've got a fair few belts with not that large a roster. We don't want to exhaust ourselves.

That said, allowing for writers being unavailable and so on, I wouldn't want any title to go more than two shows without being defended. So I think every third show at the outside, once a month if circumstances are reasonable. I wouldn't want to tie a champion to only ever having championship matches and preventing him (or her) from having a storyline or feud-based match that is non-title.

We COULD do KotR in advance, it's an idea I've thought about before. A one-show Cold Front Classic! (well, the battle royale the previous show and then the elimination bouts in one night) I think we'd need to see who actually had the commitment to write two or three matches in one sitting first though.

You don't have to do it in one sitting. I've documented this to Flesher before on how a KOTOR could be done, but the biggest problem is for people to kep their mouths shut and not reveal if they won/lost were advancing, etc.

Yeah, but otherwise you've got the problem of going into the thing without knowing what's recently happened to your guy. I think the best way to do it would be on one show we do the CFC Battle Royale to decide rankings. Then we have a gap of a month before the next show (or maybe a smaller card inbetween featuring non-CFC wrestlers) which gives the eight qualifers in the CFC time to write a small first match (say 4k), get that marked, do a slightly longer semi-final (say 4.5k), get that marked and then finish with the final (5k - it'll be the third match the wrestlers have had in one evening, so they wouldn't be producing a half-hour showpiece anyway).

OK, so currently we've got Dace and Johnny offering to mark, while me and Landon might help out if there's no-one else around. Is anyone else going to volunteer their services? Does anyone have a problem with us marking matches whilst writing at the same time?

I can mark if needed, but be aware that crazy Christmas season overtime will be kicking in soon, so matches may come in a little late. :P

You don't have to do it in one sitting. I've documented this to Flesher before on how a KOTOR could be done, but the biggest problem is for people to kep their mouths shut and not reveal if they won/lost were advancing, etc.

:P

Edited by chirs3

Guest step up, ghetto blaster.

I find this at least a little intriguing.

we will bang out some ideas and see what comes of them before I commit to fuckall, of course. I don't even have the patience to no-show some shit any more for real and for serious.

Toxxic/Landon/anybody else: AIM it.

get at me.

You got my AIM. Let's bang, boy.

That said, if 'banging out some ideas' consists of contriving a convoluted storyline which hinges on you (and possibly fellow no-show artists) returning and writing consistently to World Title level, allow me to laugh at you now in front of these witnesses and save us all some time and effort until you prove that it is possible. Regardless of the fact that you CAN be an amazing writer, and your style was a large inspiration for my own, I'm not going to organise the fed around someone whose last notable contribution was in mid-2004.

Just want to get that clear.

Edited by MikeofEvil

I can also mark if need be depending on show dates, but bear in mind I usually work night shift.

This new schedule is going to be a huge blessing.

Sign in to follow this