TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

From Baseball America, the top ten prospects for the Yankees and Red Sox. As I mentioned earlier, both are considered top 5 systems, which should be a scary thing for the rest of the American League.

Yankees Prospects

1. J. Chamberlain, RHP

2. A. Jackson, OF

3. J. Tabata, OF

4. I. Kennedy, RHP

5. A. Horne, RHP

6. J. Montero, C

7. J. Marquez, RHP

8. B. Gardner, OF

9. R. Ohlendorf, RHP

10. A. Brackman, RHP

Red Sox Prospects

1. Clay Buchholz

2. Jacoby Ellsbury

3. Lars Anderson

4. Justin Masterson

5. Jed Lowrie

6. Ryan Kalish

7. Michael Bowden

8. Nick Hagadone

9. Oscar Tejeda

10. Josh Reddick

Where can we find other teams' top prospects?

You can check the Baseball America website for top ten lists (they post a new team every two days), but I'd recommend getting the Prospect Handbook if you have any interest at all in minor league prospects.

Since when is Nick Swisher a center fielder? I thought he was a 1B/DH. Haha, White Sox.

Believe it or not his primary position last year was center field although that was purely due to the huge number of injuries the A's had. He actually is a pretty good defensive corner outfielder (and very good by some metrics) and as an occasional fill in center he's fine but not someone you want to rely as your everyday center fielder.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise
Swisher will absolutely tear it up playing half his games in the Cell. Bank on it.

He's a little too HGHy for me. He seems like a real grinder, though! I bet he won't stop believin'!

It's more fashionable than ever to rip the White Sox, what with all of their public figures making asses of themselves lately.

I'm not totally in love with the move, but it's another one where the White Sox obtain a pretty low risk-high reward player, and one that's MLB ready and about to hit his prime to boot.

Quentin, Ramirez and Swisher have all been great aquisitions (I do not trust any pitcher coming out of the White Sox farm to be much, although I think DSL could be something special, but most likely a good set up man or closer rather than a SP).

The Swisher trade has potential to look bad years from now, but it makes the White Sox better in 08' which is what they are going for (even though on paper it may not make sense to do so against a hugely upgraded Tigers team and fresh from the ALCS Indians, but this is what GM Kenny Williams has said he wants to do).

I don't think Sweeney's ceiling is above an average-mediocre player (maybe a little better in the NL) and Gio has been traded 4 times, so that doesn't really scream anything but a 4 or 5 starter for me, plus there are height concerns.

Following the pretty eh O. Cabrera for Garland and Linebrick signing moves (which obviously were made when KW for some reason thought Torii Hunter and M. Cabrera acquisitions could actually go through); KW has actually been making some pretty decent moves if you ask me, setting up a decent, cheap core of Danks-Jenks-Fields-Richar-Quentin-Ramirez-Swisher (I do not want to include Gavin Floyd in this mix, although I suppose he could turn out, and I'm not high on Richar either) which could even see Quentin/Fields/Swisher replacing Konerko/Thome/Dye in the 3/4/5 spots in the future.

Do I believe the White Sox can contend with Detroit and Cleveland (let alone NY, BOS and the Angels) in 08? Not really, unless Danks and Floyd pitch out of their minds and Contreras suddenly reverts to an ace or at least average pitcher again. But I think Kenny Williams is realizing this too, and you can't deny that he has a nice young major league ready core to develop here; with spending money leftover for next off-season (that $75 Million slotted for Hunter can come into play to fill in some missing pieces).

The White Sox farm may be pretty bare. But we aren't in horrible shape yet. Detroit only really has a two year window and their aging players are just as old as ours, whose to say their core doesn't have an 07' White Sox type performance? Whose to say we don't sling some of our aging vets at the trade deadline this year to help restock for 09 and beyond?

Anything can happen in baseball.

Has anybody here been to one of SABR's conventions? It's being held in Cleveland this year and I'm thinking about going.

Surprized that Ian Kennedy is #4 and not #2.

If Hughes were elligible, would he rank ahead of Chamberlain still? I would say yes but I'm no expert.

I'd rank Chamberlain above Hughes. 135 Ks in 88 minor league innings is very impressive.

Has anybody here been to one of SABR's conventions? It's being held in Cleveland this year and I'm thinking about going.

I've been to a regional meeting. I'd say check it out without hesitation.

What do you think of Jackson and Tabata ahead of Kennedy? Two mid-minor league level outfielders above a pitcher who already has some nice MLB service time. It can't be age, since Kennedy's only 22. I've been hearing about Jose Tabata's awesome upside for two years or so now, I don't think he's 20 yet, and I've heard him compared to Manny Ramirez. Austin Jackson's stock has shot up rapidly as of late but I've pretty much never heard anything about him, at least in mainstream outlets.

What do you think of Jackson and Tabata ahead of Kennedy? Two mid-minor league level outfielders above a pitcher who already has some nice MLB service time. It can't be age, since Kennedy's only 22. I've been hearing about Jose Tabata's awesome upside for two years or so now, I don't think he's 20 yet, and I've heard him compared to Manny Ramirez. Austin Jackson's stock has shot up rapidly as of late but I've pretty much never heard anything about him, at least in mainstream outlets.

Baseball America, as a publication, has always favored guys with high ceilings. Being close to the majors doesn't really score you extra points if you're only projected to be an average everyday player. Ian Kennedy may be major league ready, but is only projected to be a 4th starter in the majors and has limited upside beyond that. Tabata and Jackson are considered to have All-Star potential, even if the chances they make it to that level are slim. It's really just a matter of how they evaluate talent.

Surprized that Ian Kennedy is #4 and not #2.

If Hughes were elligible, would he rank ahead of Chamberlain still? I would say yes but I'm no expert.

I'd rank Chamberlain above Hughes. 135 Ks in 88 minor league innings is very impressive.

I'd still put Hughes ahead of Chamberlain. Phil Hughes is younger and has more of a track record of success in both the major and minor leagues. He doesn't have any of the weight or injury concerns that plagued Joba as recently as a year ago. I think Chamberlain may have better pure stuff, but Hughes has the better chance to succeed for longer.

That's fine, the rotation currently shakes down as Wang/Pettitte/Hughes/Chamberlain/Kennedy-Mussina-Igawa anyways. Igawa is a money sink, but the Kennedy/Mussina choice will be interesting. Mussina was put in the 'pen in September in favor of Kennedy's call-up. I could see Torre going with Mussina out of the gate because of his veteraness, but there's a new sheriff in town now.

Oakland is only two years removed from an ALCS appearance and finished with a better record than the Chicago White Sox last year, yet they have (correctly) decided that they need to punt the next two years and rebuild for the future. Chicago is a last place team that just sold off every piece of decent talent they have because they have deluded themselves into thinking that they have a chance of competing.

This is why Beane is considered a genius, and Williams a bumbling idiot.

At Jose Tabata's level, you almost have to trust the scouts. In my view, you have a 19 year old outfielder with a .375 career minor league OBP who just handled the Florida State League, a tough league for hitters. In Jackson's case, he had a dominant performance in the FSL, but in just 67 games. You need to demonstrate that you can maintain that type of performance over the long term. I'd rate them Chamberlain, Tabata, Kennedy, Jackson.

Looking over the rest of the list, I'm not impressed by a 24 year old (Allan Horne) who spent the entire season at AA, no matter how many strikeouts he had. Montero deserves his ranking. Jeff Marquez who struck out 94 batters in 155 innings? Not a prospect. Brett Gardner no, he's a fifth outfielder. Ross Ohlendorf should have a future, especially if they make him a reliever. Real sleeper there. Brackman is a complete tools pick, he's out with TJ surgery and no real telling his future just yet.

Here's a lovely postscript for Orioles fans. To acquire Chris Roberson, they placed Jeff Fiorentino on waivers. He was claimed by the Reds.

Oh god dammit. Maybe next they can trade Bedard for peanuts and a guy who just had tommy john surgery again.

Tell me about these players. Do they, too, have bleeding asses?

Oh well. Pagan never really contributed much.

Tell me about these players. Do they, too, have bleeding asses?

Oh well. Pagan never really contributed much.

Coles - http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=446457

Meyers - http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=457462

Meh. Both guys seem like organizational soldiers and not much more. Pagan's a decent bat off the bench, so I'm reasonably happy.