TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

MLB Off-season Thread

Mets, Phils, Braves, Nats, Marlins, Cubs, Cardinals, Pirates

Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Brewers, Reds, Astros

The Reds are further east than the Cubs or Cardinals, how do you come up with that allignment?

In other words you are completely screwing them over, do you realize that in your allignment their second closet divisional rival is roughly halfway across the United States in the Astros. As a Reds fan I'm glad you're not commish.

Guest Cock Ring Warehouse

And I forgot all about the Brewers getting pissed. They need to draw lots of Cubs and Cardinals road fans; that's the reason they moved to the National League in the first place. You could say that the Reds were in the West before, so no big, but that was an unfortunate situation in the first place. Besides, I'm guessing the Reds get fat off C&C road fans as well.

Another plan I had puts the Marlins and Nationals in the West, which is three times zones away just like Atlanta and Cincinnati, but since they're considerably less important to baseball than the Reds and Braves, you're adversely affecting fewer road game viewers/listeners. It basically puts the old mid-50s National League travel circuit, -Brooklyn+Atlanta in the East and the expansions/relocations in the West:

Chicago, Saint Louis, New York, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh

S.F., L.A., S.D., Colorado, Arizona, Houston, Washington, hopefully Portland soon?

Reds signed left hander Jeremy Affeldt to a one year 3 million dollar deal to bolster their bullpen.

Affeldt enjoyed a long-awaited breakthrough with the Rockies last season, going 4-3 with a 3.51 ERA in 59 innings. He is 25-27 with a 4.74 ERA in 286 career appearances, including 42 starts.

With Cordero, Burton, Weathers and now Affeldt the Reds have a pretty impressive bullpen. If 2 of Bailey, Voloquez and Cueto pitch decent, or if one of them lives up to their full potential, the Reds could surprise some people.

Hey, has anyone else noticed that the Braves and Nationals are scheduled to play a one-game regular-season series on March 30th, but the next day the Braves go home to play the Pirates and the Nats go to Philly? I know the Nationals are opening their new ballpark, but this seems really weird to me.

Guest Smues

I hadn't noticed that, I don't think it was on the Braves schedule last time I looked. What makes it wierder is that the day before and the day after Atlanta is playing at Turner Field. So because of this yet again the Braves will both open and close the season on the road. What a load of crap.

lol at the board's brewer fan being pro selig.

Don't be mistaken, Bud Selig has definitely left a mixed legacy in Milwaukee (and Wisconsin in general). On one hand, he brought baseball back to Milwaukee after the painful exodus of the Milwaukee Braves. He also took the Brewers to their first (and thus far, only) World Series appearance in '82. Unfortunately, once he became commissioner of baseball, the team became basically an afterthought to him, with most of his energies being focused on getting a new stadium built. While that was something that was needed, and ensured the Brewers would not re-locate, it left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, because it utilized a five county sales tax (an extremely minimal one, but a tax none the less)...but those people tend not to understand the economics of the game, or aren't baseball fans to begin with. Also, handing the team to his daughter was pretty much a disaster for the team, and the Brewers have only really started to turn around now that Mark Attanasio is the owner (though good draft picks were made, technically under Wendy Selig-Prieb's watch).

Oh, and for those who still gripe about the bias in the Brewers moving to the NL, get over it. He actually did give the Kansas City Royals first choice to move, and no other owners were chomping at the bit to switch leagues. I do miss seeing the Brewers-White Sox rivalry somewhat, but the Cubs and Cardinals have more than filled that void, and the Brewers still play the Twins every year.

As far as interleague play...I really don't understand the animosity some people have towards it. It's a 162 game season...a few series against teams in other leagues doesn't really "dillute the game", IMHO.

This seven-for-two deal between the Cubs and Orioles is apparently not dead yet. I'm not sure how I'd feel if it went through. On the one hand, the Cubs would instantly become the best team in the NL Central and among the best in the NL. On the other, they'd be giving up quite a few young pieces that presumably were set to play a role in the future. Pie's pretty much the only positional player in the farm system that was predicted to amount to anything worthwhile. Of course, it's likely he becomes a big star if he's dealt and Corey Patterson if the Cubs hang on to him.

At any rate, it's silly to act like the Cubs aren't in a "win now" state of mind. They have some fairly young core players, but the team as a whole is constructed to win within the next couple of years. A lineup that includes Roberts, Soriano, Lee, Ramirez, Fukudome and Soto is pretty intimidating on paper. Their pen is one of their clear-cut strengths and a one-two punch of Zambrano and Bedard should make for some fun summer viewing.

I cant believe Im reading the Orioles have an interest in Jason Marquis.

seriously? someone's playing a joke on Os fans with that one..

The os dont really need pitching even if they deal Bedard and they certainly dont need a guy like Marquis (who for the record I had on my fantasy league last year because he got wins, but the rest of his stat line was always uglier than hell)

Mets avoid arbitration with Endy Chavez, signing him to a two-year contract worth $3.85 million.

http://www.metsblog.com/2008/01/22/news-me...e-to-extension/

Not bad at all.

I believe that the Mets have seven outfielders under contract for next year. I'm not sure what Chavez provides over any of the the other options.

The catch against the Cards.

Besides that, nothing. We continue to pickup players we don't need...see Jose Valentin for further proof.

Well, Chavez would be the sixth - the fourth and fifth are Marlon Anderson and Angel Pagan. Chavez is a pure outfielder with better speed than either of the two, a necessity with the time off Alou's going to need. I believe Anderson's pretty much going to be used as the super utility guy and as for Pagan, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not on the roster come opening day.

- The Tampa Bay Rays locked up James Shields to a long-term deal. The deal is guaranteed for four years with three additional option years. Guaranteed money is just $12 million, but total deal could be worth $38-$40 million with options and incentives.

- The Red Sox signed two former closers to minor league deals. Former Brave Dan Kolb and Ray Dan Miceli will start in the minors but get guaranteed money (around $800K) if they are added to the 40-man roster at any point.

- According to Baseball Prospectus, Bartolo Colon looked bad, but not awful in his last start in winter league. The ESPN Deportes gun had him cracking 90 MPH for the first time, but his fastball was sitting at 88-90 MPH. He'll probably get a shot somewhere, but I wouldn't expect much.

From si.com:

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Yankees did finish first in something last year -- spending.

While its streak of AL East titles ended at nine, New York wound up with a record payroll of $218.3 million.

The World Series champion Boston Red Sox were a distant second at $155.4 million, according to information received by clubs from the commissioner's office.

Guest Smues

Took me a minute to figure out why you linked that. I'd order it if I thought they'd actually send me it as pictured.

Edit: Ah what the hell I ordered a San Diego Chargers AFC champs t-shirt on Sunday, so I ordered this too. It's the week of whacky merchandize, quick somebody link me some more oddities to buy before the week is out!

From si.com:

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Yankees did finish first in something last year -- spending.

While its streak of AL East titles ended at nine, New York wound up with a record payroll of $218.3 million.

The World Series champion Boston Red Sox were a distant second at $155.4 million, according to information received by clubs from the commissioner's office.

What bothers me the most is Baltimore and Toronto both spent approximately 95 million last year which is apparently the mean spending if I am to belive a chart included on the AP version of the Article.

The good news is all 30 teams made a little over 6 billion while spending only 2.7 billion on player salaries..so the Yankees can probably keep on going to $500 million a year and still be in good financial shape.

the jacket up there got me to thinking: Is it a good time to start the campaign up to get the Orioles out of the AL East? Put them in..the NL Central..yeah..they could win 100 games there easily if they had to play the Reds Astros Pirates almost 60 times combined.

Put the Orioles in the NL Central and they'll only be a 3rd place team at best. No way are they better than the Cubs or Brewers, keep dreaming though.

Id take potential 3rd place in NL central over guaranteed 4th place from here to eternity in the AL east

and the Cubs/Brewers arent spending almost 400 million on payroll either...

Put the Orioles in the NL Central and they'll only be a 3rd place team at best. No way are they better than the Cubs or Brewers, keep dreaming though.

Id take potential 3rd place in NL central over guaranteed 4th place from here to eternity in the AL east

Ha... you mean 5th place, right? I can't see the Orioles sniffing 4th for at least two or three years.

From Ken Rosenthal:

The Yankees, locking up one of their young stars, are on the verge of signing second baseman Robinson Cano to a four-year, $30 million contract, according to major-league sources.

The deal, which would take Cano through his arbitration years, also is expected to include club options that would enable the Yankees to buy out one or two years of free agency.

The contract would be contingent upon Cano passing a physical.

Cano, 25, was eligible for arbitration for the first time this off-season. He asked for $4.55 million and the Yankees offered $3.2 million.

A "super-two" player due to his service time, Cano was eligible for four years of arbitration rather than the customary three.

Good move to get Cano locked up early.