TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Heel of the Franchise

A few months ago espn.com ran polls determining each MLB franchise's "face of the franchise." Generally, that figure most positively representative of the team. I figured it would be fun to take this in the opposite direction. Which player, executive or other person employed within the team is the most embarassing to the team and to you as a fan?

A few examples...

Philadelphia: Dallas Green

Chicago White Sox: Hawk Harrelson

San Francisco Giants: Barry Bonds

Toronto Raptors: Isiah Thomas or Vince Carter? Tough call there, but given that Thomas has left more than one franchise in shambles, I'll give it to Vince.

Toronto Maple Leafs: Gary Bettman. Sure, he's not an actual employee of the team or anything, but Bettman should be the #1 heel for any NHL fan, period. For actual Leafs, he's not on most people's lists, but Tie Dummy should be your top heel. Waste of a roster spot, he was.

Toronto Raptors: Isiah Thomas or Vince Carter? Tough call there, but given that Thomas has left more than one franchise in shambles, I'll give it to Vince.

DEFINETELY Carter. Hands down.

No, it was that one GM that ran the team into the ground by picking bad draft picks and making stupid trades.

Montreal: Mario Trembley and Rejan Houle. There's valid reason why they are. Patrice Breisbois depending on who you ask.

Dodgers: Bill Plaschke

(Though maybe naming writers sets a bad precident.)

I second that one Al. I live in the Los Angeles area and Plaschke is the only one that could ruin a Sunday morning with his self-righteous crap he writes. He's bad on ATH, but the rest country is lucky that you dont have him at your paper.

LA area Teams:

Lakers

Present:

Kobe Bryant was the defacto heel of the franchise until about this year when the local media soften their stance on him. The heel now is Jerry Buss and Mitch Kupchack.

Back in the Day:

Elden Campell was pretty much booed out of town when Shaq first arrived. Nick Van Exel and Cedric Ceballos are a close second. Cant forget Dennis Rodman's short stint here as well.

Clippers:

Present: Donald K Sterling: If there ever was heel in sports here he is. Really needs no explanation.

Back in the Day:

Im not really a Clipper Fan but Michael Olowacandi was universally hated duirng his time here.

Dodgers:

Present: This season really brought forth the assholes on the team. First is Luis Gonzales whom showed his true colors with his grumpy old man rountine in regards to the youngters. Jeff Kent because he is an asshole wherever he goes and for Milton Bradley. Matt Kemp for dissing the vets on this team. Grady Little for being ineffective and bascially losing control of the team.

Back in the Day:

Gary Sheffield was a malcontent during his time here. Milton Bradley for Jeff Kent and for going off the deep end many time. Brett Butler for his comments on Mike Piazza and Dodger management got him a bad rep here. Former GM Kevin Malone was BLASTED by the media before he was fired. Paul Depodesta was hated here too but that was due Bill Plaskche really pouring it on. There are so many more....

Angels

Jose Guillen really takes the cake for francise heel. Not really any on the squad currently.

Kings:

I guess Rob Blake but I think King know more than I do about the Kings

Ducks:

Darthtiki can shed some on this

Thats it for LA for now

Baltimore Ravens--Brian Billick--BILLICK is the coach of the Baltimore Ravens and year after year he fails put together an offense worth a damn. He tell us all the time "this year it's gonna b e better" and it never is. Now the defense falling apart too and we're really gonna see the Billick backlash why? Cause now nobody bail him out.

Baltimore Orioles--Peter Angelos--Owner of Orioles. He's the greatest Fuck Up in Baltimore sports history worse than Bob Irsay old owner of the Baltimore Colts. He ruined a great Baltimore Tradition down the toilet. I am so sick and tired of the stupidity by Peter Angelos!

Well when Paul Kariya left, he turned heel.

Actually, Tony Tavares was the team president who fired Ron Wilson. That is when a lot the fans stopped coming to the games.

I would consider Shea Hilderbrand an Angels heel. He wanted to start everyday, so we shipped him off to the Giants.

I would think Jim Buss is at least as much of a heel for the Lakers as Jerry or Kupchak. I'd say he's going to run the franchise into the ground when he officially takes over, but I doubt there'll be much left by then.

Ottawa Senators: Alexei Yashin

Toronto Blue Jays: Gord Ash

Just the Pacers here. I don't know enough about the history of the Colts or Reds to give an opinion.

Ron Artest - Potentially cost us a championship in Reggie Miller's last season by running into the stands after some douchebag who threw a beer at him. (everyone knows the details, I'm sure.) The franchise stuck by him throughout his suspension, which was the longest in NBA history at 73 games plus the playoffs, and as gratitude, he demands a trade a month into the following season. The team has gone nowhere but down since. That said, I'll always admire him as a player, and hope he can turn himself around.

Stephen Jackson - His role in the aforementioned brawl, his disappearing acts in the playoffs, his clashes with Carlisle, his nightclub shoot-outs which resulted in us being labeled by some as "the Jail-blazers of the East", you name it. He rode Tim Duncan's coattails to a ring in 2003, and now feels that he's owed respect as a perennial winner from the world, despite contributing nothing to that run other than a hot hand in the 4th quarter of the title-clinching game. That's of no relevance to the Pacers, of course, I just needed to get it off my chest. After he was mercifully traded to the Warriors, his teammates would constantly mention in post-game interviews how he's not really a bad person, which culminated in him bringing his MOM onto TNT during the playoffs to stick up for him. Just a thoroughly unlikeable piece of shit, who deserves any misfortune that should come upon to him in his professional life.

I promise I won't be like this all season.

Dodgers: Bill Plaschke

(Though maybe naming writers sets a bad precident.)

Well Met Nation considers M Donald Grant's (a great heel in Met history BTW) hatchet boy, Dick Young, as a major heel for his role in getting Tom Seaver traded.

By the seventies the progressive Young really was getting very bitter about the "modern" athlete and how "big money" was ruining the game (as if such issues never existed before free agency) and his columns in that era have been cited of examples of how the Met organization was trying to get the public to turn against Seaver. Interestingly enough, Young actually had a relative working in the Met organization and no one called him or the Mets out on that.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Chicago Bears: Michael McCaskey. Wasn't too fucking good at running the Bears, but his role has been significantly diminished, and Wannstedt is long gone, so nobody today really cares about him.

Chicago Cubs: I'll hold off on this till I can give a clearer response than "everyfuckingone"

Chicago Black Hawks: Bill Wirtz, for being a booze-peddling TV-withholding tightfisted bastard who did the unthinkable and killed hockey in Chicago. But who cares about him, he's dead!

Chicago Bulls: Jerry Reinsdorf is the only unlikable person still associated with the Bulls. John Paxson will always be respected and appreciated, and he's done a great job of assembling like players. Skiles is a redass, Wallace is kind of aloof, Duhon is a drunk who can't show up to work on time, but these are tolerable character traits in the grand scheme of things. The fact that I'm in any way supporting Jerry Reinsdorf by supporting the Bulls makes me feel a little nauseated.

Chicago White Sox: Jerry Reinsdorf again, because he's just generally a bad human being for reasons that have been touched upon already in the Bad Owner thread. Kenny Williams, for being a headstrong asshole who trashed the greatest player in club history on the way out the door, and gleefully criticizes the moves of other GMs while getting offended if someone does the same to him. Hawk Harrelson, for being possibly the worst baseball broadcaster on television. Ed Farmer, the radio equivalent. Ozzie Guillen, for obvious reasons, not the least of which being the idiocy of a profanity-laced tirade on live (as in no delay) radio. A.J. Pierzynski, obv., Mark Buehrle, for blaming his poor outings on scoreboards stealing his signs when not preoccupied with bow-hunting bears. Their mullet-sporting tattoo-laden white trash fans, their inferiority-complex cheer against the Cubs at all times fans, their "alls I'm sayin is dose numbers don't measure da fair'n da payshin" fans, do I need more? Is that enough?

More Heels:

UCLA Basketball: Steve Lavin. Lucky son of a bitch that underachieved in the regular season but made deep runs in the tournament. Great recruiter, but a horrible coach. The media was on him like white on rice.

New York Mets: Bobby Bonilla. The Mets fans can elaborate on this one.

USC football: Paul Hackett. Ran USC football into the ground in the late 90s.

Marion Jones: New heel. Cheater and now a Liar. CJ Hunter must be feeling good right now

Lakers

Mitch Kupchak. Fuck him.

Dodgers

Nomar. You suck. Also, Juan Pierre. Just cause he's Juan Pierre.

Kings

Dan Cloutier. Don't ever come back from Manchester, you useless sack of shit.

USC Football

John David Booty. I'll hold my tongue for now.