TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

The Writer's Strike

This might be a crazy idea, but what if the networks decided to air older shows that aren't on the air anymore? (Seindfeld (sic), Friends, Cheers and Frasier) NBC could do a classic 'Must See TV' night on Thursday.

Unless they can't do this because of syndication stuff.

They could, but it would bomb. Reruns are reruns.

Most of the new shows will probably not be given their back nine order when the strike is over. I heard Big Shots is already over.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face
So what do you propose, that the writers just bend over and take it from the companies?

No, because I agreed with their argument that they deserved residuals (I had always been under the impression that they got them already), but I don't see a strike ending well for the union here. The studios look ready to sit this one out, and they have more resources than the writers do in a war of attrition like this one. They'll get something in the end, though, but not as much as they were demanding.

Glad they're marching around with signs on sticks, though. That'll show 'em. How do teachers who make over $100,000 a year not only go on strike for more money (this is another strike transpiring at the moment), but participate in these dopey picket lines? Go sing some Woody Guthrie while you're at it.

I just love how logic goes completely out the window on issues like this.

How is showing a show on the internet any different than showing it on television?

Why should they not get paid for one and get paid for the other?

It's sheer stupidity.

This might be a crazy idea, but what if the networks decided to air older shows that aren't on the air anymore? (Seindfeld (sic), Friends, Cheers and Frasier) NBC could do a classic 'Must See TV' night on Thursday.

Unless they can't do this because of syndication stuff.

They could, but it would bomb. Reruns are reruns.

Most of the new shows will probably not be given their back nine order when the strike is over. I heard Big Shots is already over.

Hey Bob- do you know what's happening with SNL reruns over the next few weeks? Are they just going to play stuff from last season? I'm hoping for some older stuff since E! never reruns it but I bet that's wishful thinking.

So what do you propose, that the writers just bend over and take it from the companies?

StrikeHeroes.jpg

Gay superhero dads support the strike.

Damn, beat me to it. :/ Woe is me, not bringing the yaoi content. Odd that the pic didn't show up in the post, though.

Ahem, anyway.

A friend of meine posted this video. Didn't make it, just passing it on. So, I am as well.

Edit: The video is basically explaining the strike to those lost. With shiny, cartoony images and a voiceover. Nifty.

So what happens when the studios lay everyone off, as has been rumored, and they're out of jobs?

That would be the dumbest thing ever. It would kill all of their shows and fuck them in the long run.

How is showing a show on the internet any different than showing it on television?

Well, my television doesn't freeze up and need to be turned off and turned back on again several times over the course of a program, for one thing.

That was be the dumbest thing ever.

I was tend to agree.

No, because I agreed with their argument that they deserved residuals (I had always been under the impression that they got them already), but I don't see a strike ending well for the union here. The studios look ready to sit this one out, and they have more resources than the writers do in a war of attrition like this one. They'll get something in the end, though, but not as much as they were demanding.

Glad they're marching around with signs on sticks, though. That'll show 'em. How do teachers who make over $100,000 a year not only go on strike for more money (this is another strike transpiring at the moment), but participate in these dopey picket lines? Go sing some Woody Guthrie while you're at it.

I was listening to NPR, and they were talking about this. The studio has reserves, but only for a very limited amount of time. It's definitely a war of attrition though, and it seems like the studios have more to lose.

The Office fired over 100 people today.

I bet they all love their writers now.

They all knew it was coming, and most unions tend to support other unions.

It's definitely a war of attrition though, and it seems like the studios have more to lose.

How? Studios have shows ready to go that doesn't need writers. Yeah some networks are going to be better off than others, but the writers can't do anything but independent projects, and those don't generally get them THAT much money. They'll fold first before studios would.

I just love how logic goes completely out the window on issues like this.

Why should they not get paid for one and get paid for the other?

It's sheer stupidity.

I think it has to do with ad revenue made from comercials- they either make more money on TV than they doon the internet, or they don't make any money on the internet at all. That's just a guess, though.

It's definitely a war of attrition though, and it seems like the studios have more to lose.

How? Studios have shows ready to go that doesn't need writers. Yeah some networks are going to be better off than others, but the writers can't do anything but independent projects, and those don't generally get them THAT much money. They'll fold first before studios would.

Yeah, but those shows don't bring in the same money that written shows do.

And where did you read the Office fired people today?

Yeah, but those shows don't bring in the same money that written shows do.

And where did you read the Office fired people today?

Plus, most reality shows have some kind of writer. You're going to see a dip in quality, there, too. Theres also the law of diminishing returns - you can't keep running game shows and reality TV at people. Everyone I talk to when I'm performing are down with the writers in a big way. Theres a real sense of camraderie. I joked earlier about going to picket just to network, but I've come pretty close to driving down and picking up a sign (as ultimately pointless as it is) and I'm not even a WGA member, just down with the cause.

More on this....I'm not sure about the union supporting other union ideas. From what I heard some of the other unions are considering suing the WGA.

<a href="http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/" target="_blank">http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/</a>

NBC fires 102 workers from The Office

Excerpts from an e-mail from Dale Alexander, a key grip on NBC's "The Office":

"Our show was shut down and we were all laid off this week. I've been watching the news since the WGA strike was announced and I have yet to see any coverage dedicated to the effect that this strike will have on the below the line employees.

"I respect the WGA's position. They probably do deserve a larger percentage of profit participation, but a lengthy strike will affect more than just the writers and studios. On my show we had 14 writers. There were also 2 cameramen, 2 camera assistants, 4 hair stylists, 4 makeup artists, 7 wardrobe people, 4 grips, 4 electricians, 2 craft service, 4 props people, 6 construction, 1 medic, 3 art department, 5 set dressers, 3 sound men, 3 stand-ins, 2 set PAs, 4 assistant directors, 1 DGA trainee, 1 unit manager, 6 production office personnel, 3 casting people, 4 writers assistants, 1 script supervisor, 2 editors, 2 editors assistants, 3 post production personnel, 1 facilities manager, 8 drivers, 2 location managers, 3 accountants, 4 caterers and a producer who's not a writer. All 102 of us are now out of work.

"I have been in the motion picture business for 33 years and have survived three major strikes. None of which have been by any of the below the line unions. During the 1988 WGA strike many of my friends lost their homes, cars and even spouses. Many actors are publicly backing the writers, some have even said that they would find a way to help pay bills for the striking writers. When the networks run out of new shows and they air repeats the writers will be paid residuals. The lowest paid writer in television makes roughly twice the salary than the below the line crewmember makes. Everyone should be paid their fair share, but does it have to be at the expense of the other 90% of the crewmembers. Nobody ever recoups from a strike, lost wages are just that, lost.

"We all know that the strike will be resolved. Eventually both sides will return to the bargaining table and make a deal. The only uncertainty is how many of our houses, livelihoods, college educations and retirement funds will pay for it."

--Maria Elena Fernandez

You didn't answer the question, but you sort of did. If they get something in the end, that's a whole lot better than the nothing that they got before. The strike would have strengthened the hand of the writers.

I think it's also telling that, while you express concern for the "little guys", your response is FUCK THE UNIONS who are trying to improve their situation. You're not gonna say FUCK THE CORPORATIONS (who are actually shitting on the "little guys") because then all of the energy you've expended making fun of nocalmike over the years would be for naught.

Plus, most reality shows have some kind of writer. You're going to see a dip in quality, there, too.

(snort)

Theres also the law of diminishing returns - you can't keep running game shows and reality TV at people.

I would tend to agree, but look how many people park their asses in front of the TV to watch Big Brother and Deal Or No Deal several times a week. They'll get a couple of weeks' worth out of that sort of summer-replacement lineup before people get annoyed and just don't watch television. I can wait this out. In my case, the only non-sports stuff I watch on a regular basis is the NBC Thursday lineup.

I've come pretty close to driving down and picking up a sign (as ultimately pointless as it is) and I'm not even a WGA member, just down with the cause.

Ugh. I'd self-immolate before I associated with organized labor in such a fashion, even non-labor like writers.

An updated list of the current status of shows is available on Wikipedia. I was going to copy and paste, but the formatting is off and I am too tired to edit myself.

Interesting note, which kind of sucks for Scrubs but according to Wiki - 12 out of 18 episodes have been completed. Series finale episode could possibly not be produced or broadcast; were this to happen, series creator Bill Lawrence will try to release a straight-to-DVD final episode.

Here's the Wikipedia Link

Here comes the reality!

ABC:

•Duel (week-long event, Dec. 17-23, 8 ET/PT). Quiz show in which contestants win by bluffing.

•Dance Wars: Bruno vs. Carrie Ann (Jan. 7, Mondays at 8 ET/PT). Dancing With the Stars' choreographers field their own teams in this live dance-off, which bridges the gap before DWTS returns in March. Drew Lachey hosts.

•Oprah's Big Give Winfrey bestows cash on needy families.

•Here Come the Newlyweds A six-episode comedic game pitting couples in marital tests.

•Wanna Bet? Celebrities wager (for charity) on whether contestants can perform outrageous stunts.

• Also: New seasons of Wife Swap and Supernanny, expanded episodes of Extreme Makeover: Home Improvement and possibly more Funniest Videos.

CBS

•Big Brother A first-time spring season of the summer staple will likely begin in February or March.

•Million-Dollar Password A high-stakes version of the game-show classic, hosted by Regis Philbin.

•Do You Trust Me? Tucker Carlson hosts a quiz show in which strangers bet on their mutual confidence in each other.

• Also: Additional cycles of Survivor and The Amazing Race, and a new season of Drew Carey game show Power of 10.

FOX

•The Moment of Truth (Jan. 23, Wednesdays at 9 ET/PT). Game show in which contestants are strapped to a lie detector and asked highly personal questions.

•When Women Rule the World (Mar. 3, Mondays at 8 ET/PT). Alpha women control "a group of unsuspecting men used to calling the shots."

• Also: American Idol (Jan. 15), Hell's Kitchen (Apr. 1), Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?, Don't Forget the Lyrics, Cops and America's Most Wanted.

NBC

•Celebrity Apprentice Stars compete for Donald Trump's approval as hot-dog vendors and in other unlikely occupations.

•American Gladiators The 1990s series is revived, with stuntmen competing against amateurs in physical competitions. Hulk Hogan, Laila Ali host.

•Amnesia Dennis Miller hosts this quiz show that asks contestants to recall key moments of their lives.

•My Dad Is Better Than Your Dad Families compete in stunt challenges.

•Clash of the Choirs Celebrities establish amateur singing groups, which compete live in yet another Idol variation.

• Also: New season of 1 vs. 100, and Deal or No Deal continues.

CW

•Crowned: The Mother of All Pageants (Dec. 12, Wednesdays at 8 ET/PT). Mother-daughter teams compete for a beauty pageant title while shacking up in bunk beds in a Hollywood mansion.

•Farmer Wants a Wife A dating series in which a yokel selects a city beauty.

• Also: New seasons of Pussycat Dolls, Beauty and the Geek and America's Next Top Model.

Do You Trust Me? Tucker Carlson hosts a quiz show in which strangers bet on their mutual confidence in each other.

Yeesh.

American Gladiators The 1990s series is revived, with stuntmen competing against amateurs in physical competitions. Hulk Hogan, Laila Ali host.

Good god. They can't hammer out another six weeks of Who Wants to Marry a Midget? or Who's Your Daddy? These new reality shows look terrible!

More on this....I'm not sure about the union supporting other union ideas. From what I heard some of the other unions are considering suing the WGA.

<a href="http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/" target="_blank">http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/</a>

NBC fires 102 workers from The Office

Excerpts from an e-mail from Dale Alexander, a key grip on NBC's "The Office":

"Our show was shut down and we were all laid off this week. I've been watching the news since the WGA strike was announced and I have yet to see any coverage dedicated to the effect that this strike will have on the below the line employees.

"I respect the WGA's position. They probably do deserve a larger percentage of profit participation, but a lengthy strike will affect more than just the writers and studios. On my show we had 14 writers. There were also 2 cameramen, 2 camera assistants, 4 hair stylists, 4 makeup artists, 7 wardrobe people, 4 grips, 4 electricians, 2 craft service, 4 props people, 6 construction, 1 medic, 3 art department, 5 set dressers, 3 sound men, 3 stand-ins, 2 set PAs, 4 assistant directors, 1 DGA trainee, 1 unit manager, 6 production office personnel, 3 casting people, 4 writers assistants, 1 script supervisor, 2 editors, 2 editors assistants, 3 post production personnel, 1 facilities manager, 8 drivers, 2 location managers, 3 accountants, 4 caterers and a producer who's not a writer. All 102 of us are now out of work.

"I have been in the motion picture business for 33 years and have survived three major strikes. None of which have been by any of the below the line unions. During the 1988 WGA strike many of my friends lost their homes, cars and even spouses. Many actors are publicly backing the writers, some have even said that they would find a way to help pay bills for the striking writers. When the networks run out of new shows and they air repeats the writers will be paid residuals. The lowest paid writer in television makes roughly twice the salary than the below the line crewmember makes. Everyone should be paid their fair share, but does it have to be at the expense of the other 90% of the crewmembers. Nobody ever recoups from a strike, lost wages are just that, lost.

"We all know that the strike will be resolved. Eventually both sides will return to the bargaining table and make a deal. The only uncertainty is how many of our houses, livelihoods, college educations and retirement funds will pay for it."

--Maria Elena Fernandez

I'm sorry, but Whaaa whaa whaaa.

You wouldn't have the job in the first place if not for the writers who want to be paid for their work.