TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

The Writer's Strike

Guest Vitamin X

By the way, Cowboy blew his load early in the thread. The WGA's vote was this evening. And yes, it is OFFICIAL, according to Variety.

From AICN:

The Writers Guild announced Tuesday evening that its membership voted 3,492 to 283 to end its 3-month-old strike.

WGA members can return to work immediately.

Members have to formally approve the AMPTP’s deal, with votes on that tallied Feb. 26.

The Screen Actors Guild’s contract expires in June.

Gah, so much bureaucracy.

“Friday Night Lights” show runner Jason Katims and his assistant, Jamie Duneier, are happy to be back in the office. But it will probably be a while before their writing staff joins them.

NBC has not decided if it will produce more episodes of “Friday Night Lights” for the spring. Katims will be attending several meetings this week with the network and Universal Media Studios, which produces it, and is hoping fans won’t have to wait until the fall to learn how the Smash Williams football story ends or if Jason Street is going to be a father.

“The most difficult part of this is that, when the strike ends, I think that everybody here will be celebrating that the strike ended and then the next question is, when are we going to get back to work?” Katims said. “Are we going to get back to work? It’s going to unfold differently for every show.”

Fifteen episodes of the football-centered drama have already aired, and Katims says he can complete five or six more — if given the chance. Always a ratings-challenged, critical darling, “Friday Night Lights” has been performing better since it moved to Fridays. But that doesn’t guarantee it a spot on the fall lineup.

“I’ve heard that serialized shows are less likely to come back this spring," he said. "And, of course, we’re on the eternal bubble, so we have to wait and see what they want to do.”

--Maria Elena Fernandez

Veteran TV producer Chuck Lorre has made a career out of being funny. And although there was nothing humorous about not working for three months, Lorre has found his smile again.

Both of his CBS comedies, “Two and a Half Men” and “The Big Bang Theory,” will produce nine more episodes for this season, which means his 200-person staff will be back at work by next week — much sooner than most of the TV industry.

Lorre and his co-show runners, Lee Aronsohn (“Two and a Half Men”) and Bill Prady (“The Big Bang Theory”), returned to work Monday to figure out how they will produce nine episodes in 12 weeks. This is how it will play out:

“It’s gonna be an enormous cluster [insert the word for Charlie Harper’s favorite hobby] of stuff to do,” Lorre said in his first interview since the strike was called. “Normally, the kind of stuff you complain about is now just an absolute joy. Yay! We get to make our show again. We’ll be working seven days a week for the next three months and we’ll be happy to do it to pull this off.”

“Two and a Half Men,” the No. 1 comedy on TV, is in good shape, Lorre said, because they have one complete script ready to produce. “Big Bang,” a freshman show that was gaining momentum in the ratings when the strike began, was in the middle of shooting an episode, so production will start from scratch on that episode.

“It’s really surreal coming back after a strike,” Lorre said. “It’s like nothing I’ve ever experienced. I really hate to date myself, but I was around for the ’88 strike and it’s very disorienting. It’s not a vacation. It’s not restful. It’s a stressful three months. It was purgatory. It was not hey, hooray, we’re not working. It was awful. There’s an emotional toll. I’m really lucky because it was not a financial strain. But the financial strain on people around you and entire communities is huge. There’s nothing good about it.”

Lorre says he is thankful his employees will get to complete the majority of the episodes ordered, as opposed to shows that are facing severely shortened seasons and others that aren't returning to the schedule until fall. “Men” will complete 19 out of 24 and “Big Bang” will finish 17 of 22.

“Just like it’s better to have written than to write, I’m glad this is behind us,” Lorre said. “But at the same time, there’s something to learn about it. I certainly learned something about the depths of my workaholicism, because there was withdrawals.”

Returning to his job this time has been nothing like coming back from a vacation hiatus, Lorre said.

“We got sent home,” he said. “Even if you don’t like school, you don’t want to get sent home. And the truth of the matter is to be at work every day with people for years, it becomes your life. And people become part of your family. And when a show stops suddenly, you’re powerless to do anything about it. And it’s not unjustified. It’s all legitimate. There’s no malice on the part of anybody. It was a journey, and these three months were both awful and instructive about how grateful we have to be about being able to do this for a living.”

Did it provide fodder and inspiration for his famous vanity cards? Lorre is known for the musings he posts at the end of each episode of all of his shows. During the strike, the cards stayed on message: “United we stand.”

“I took notes,” he said coyly. “I have some thoughts.”

-- Maria Elena Fernandez

It's what ya all been waitin fo', ain't it?/

What people pay paper fo', damnit/

They can't stand it, they want somethin new/

So let's get reacquainted, became the hood favorite/

I can't even explain it, I surprise myself too/

ABC

Likely to be back with new episodes in the spring

* Desperate Housewives

* Grey's Anatomy

* Samantha Who?

* Ugly Betty

* Boston Legal

* Brothers & Sisters

Probably won't be back until next season

* Private Practice

* Pushing Daisies

* Dirty Sexy Money

On the bubble

* Women's Murder Club

* Cashmere Mafia

* Carpoolers

Dead?

* Big Shots

* Notes From the Underbelly

* Cavemen

The rest

* Lost

* Eli Stone

* October Road

* Men in Trees

* According to Jim

All the above have multiple new episodes left.

* Miss/Guided

(seven episodes) hasn't yet premiered

NBC

* The Office

* 30 Rock

* Law & Order

* Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

* My Name Is Earl

* Medium

* ER

* Heroes

* Chuck

On the bubble

* Friday Night Lights

Dead?

* Bionic Woman

We await details on...

* Life

* Las Vegas

* Scrubs

* Lipstick Jungle

CBS

* Two and a Half Men

* How I Met Your Mother

* The Big Bang Theory

* NCIS

* Criminal Minds

* CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

* CSI: Miami

* CSI: NY

* Without a Trace

* Cold Case

* Ghost Whisperer

* Numb3rs

On the bubble

* Moonlight

Dead?

* Cane

We await details on...

* The New Adventures of Old Christine

* Welcome to the Captain

* The Unit

* Shark

* Rules of Engagement

* Jericho

(seven already shot episodes to air starting Tuesday)

* Swingtown

(hasn't yet aired)

Fox

* Back to You

* 'Til Death

* Bones

On the bubble

* Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Dead?

* K-Ville

We await details on...

* House

* Prison Break

CW

* Gossip Girl

* Smallville

* Supernatural

* The Game

* Reaper

* One Tree Hill

(multiple new episodes already shot, more probable)

On the bubble

* Aliens in American and Everybody Hates Chris both have multiple new episodes left to air but more have not been ordered yet; no additional "Girlfriends" will be produced this season.

Dead?

* Life Is Wild

HBO

Strike proof

* In Treatment

(First season airing now; all episodes were completed before the strike)

Likely to be back in late 2008/early 2009

Writing to resume immediately after the strike ends on

* Entourage

* Big Love

* Flight of the Conchords

* Tell Me You Love Me

On the horizon

* True Blood

(Two episodes were completed before the strike; this series is expected to debut in the fall.)

* 12 Miles of Bad Road

(Five episodes shot on another new series; no air date scheduled yet.)

Showtime

Likely to be back in late spring/early summer

* Weeds

(Scheduled to go in production in April)

* Secret Diaries of a Call Girl

(Eight episodes of a new half-hour comedy series have already been shot)

* The Tudors

(Ten episodes of season 2 have been shot; season 2 is scheduled to debut March 30.)

* State of the Union

(Tracey Ullman's new show, is set to premiere March 30 with five episodes.)

We await details on...

Production schedules and debut dates unavailable.

* Dexter

* Californication

* Brotherhood

FX

On next month

* Dirt

(The strike-shortened seven-episode season begins airing in March.)

* The Riches

(The strike-shortened season begins airing in March.)

Strike proof

* 30 Days

(The documentary show was unaffected by the strike; a six-episode season airs in early summer)

* The Shield

(Production on all 13 episodes of the seventh and final season are completed, but awaiting final edit. Will air sometime after the summer.)

Back in late 2008/early 2009

Writing on all the shows is set to resume as soon as the strike ends.

* Damages

* Rescue Me

* Nip/Tuck

* It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

You know, if it wasn't for the strike, I wouldn't have watched Big Bang Theory, since I don't have TiVo or a recorder, and Chuck/Heroes/Journeyman usually took up my Monday nights. But now? I will have to make a serious effort in catching the new episodes when they start airing again.

I'm sure Bob Barron will be thrilled to find out that Tina Fey is returning to host the first post-strike episode of SNL on February 23rd.

http://tvdecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02...episode-of-snl/

Ellen Page is hosting March 1st. Apparently they're going to do four shows in a row for the first time since the first season to make up for lost time.

Joel Surnow is leaving 24.

Executive producer and cocreator Joel Surnow is leaving the Emmy-winning drama to pursue other creative endeavors, according to trade reports.

Although his contract with 20th Century Fox was not officially up until Apr. 30, Surnow figured the hiatus imposed by the writers' strike, which indefinitely postponed the premiere of 24's seventh season, was a good time to make a clean break.

"I've done seven years, almost eight years at the same place with the same great group of people," Surnow told Variety. "During the strike I started thinking about different things I'd like to do independently, and decided it was time to see if there were other opportunities I wanted to pursue."

Surnow's departure from the Fox lot also means that Real Time Productions, the shingle he shared with 24 showrunner Howard Gordon and cocreator Robert Cochran, will cease to exist.

Well he figured it was time to leaving a burning ship. The show hasn't been any good since the 3rd season and THAT was still over the top.

Oh and what's this about no new Heroes? Where did someone read this nonsense?

EDIT: Found it myself. :(

Got this from http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/tv-news/s...coming-back.php

I don't know how legit it is, but it's something.

The strike could be over soon. In fact, it could be over on Tuesday when the Writer’s Guild of America (WGA) finishes voting on the “tentative agreement” that was reached over the weekend. So for fans, the spotlight turns from the strike itself to what happens when all the writers go back to work. People want to know when they are going to see their favorite shows once again.

According to a report by TV Guide, it could be a while for some shows. As you will see below, shows like Bionic Woman have already fallen off the chopping block. Others, from Chuck to 24 could have long delays before returning to the small screen. But rest easy folks, as The Big Bang Theory should be back rather soon. Oh, and did I mention that The Office will be back in the spring as well? That’s enough to have me giddy like a little schoolgirl. But enough about my weekend, let’s have a look at this list.

Expected to return this fall or January ‘09.

30 Rock

Expected to shoot 5 to 10 new episodes to air in April/May.

Back to You

Two pre-strike episodes remain. Future TBD*.

Bionic Woman

No new episodes expected. Ever.

The Big Bang Theory

Expected to shoot 5 to 7 new episodes to air in April/May.

Big Love

Expected to go into production on Season 3 in March. Airdate info is TBD.

Bones

Four pre-strike episodes left. Unclear whether additional episodes will be produced for this season.

Brothers & Sisters

Expected to shoot 4 or 5 new episodes to air in April/May.

Chuck

No new episodes until fall.

Cold Case

Expected to shoot 4 to 7 new episodes to air in April/May.

Criminal Minds

CSI

CSI: Miami

CSI: NY

Desperate Housewives

Dirty Sexy Money

No new episodes planned until fall; three remaining pre-strike episodes will undergo some tweaking and kick off fall run.

ER

TBD.

Everybody Hates Chris

Twelve pre-strike episodes remain. No additional episodes expected for this season.

Friday Night Lights

No new episodes expected for this season. Future TBD.

Gossip Girl

Expected to shoot up to 9 new episodes to air in April/May/June.

Greek

Kicks off second half of Season 1 on March 24. Still awaiting Season 2 pickup.

Grey’s Anatomy

Expected to shoot 4 or 5 new episodes to air in April/May

Heroes

TBD.

House

Expected to shoot 4 to 6 new episodes to air in April/May.

How I Met Your Mother

Jericho

Seven episodes remain. No additional episodes expected for this season.

Las Vegas

Two pre-strike episodes remain. No additional episodes expected for this season.

Law & Order: SVU

TBD.

Life

No new episodes expected until fall.

Life Is Wild

No new episodes expected. Ever.

Lost

Six pre-strike episodes remain. Six additional episodes could air this season.

Medium

Six pre-strike episodes remain. No additional episodes expected this season.

Men in Trees

Eleven pre-strike episodes remain. No additional episodes expected this season.

Moonlight

No new episodes expected until fall.

My Name Is Earl

Expected to shoot 8 to 10 new episodes to air in April/May.

NCIS

Expected to shoot 5 to 7 new episodes, only three of which may air this season.

The New Adventures of Old Christine

Seven pre-strike episodes remain. No additional episodes expected this season.

Nip/Tuck

Season 5 concludes Feb. 19. Production on the show’s eight-episode sixth season expected to start up this summer. Airdate TBD.

Numbers

Expected to shoot 5 to 7 new episodes, only three of which may air this season.

October Road

Five pre-strike episodes remain. Future beyond that TBD.

The Office

Expected to shoot 5 to 10 new episodes to air in April/May.

One Tree Hill

Six pre-strike episodes remain. Future beyond that TBD.

Prison Break

Two pre-strike episodes remain. Future beyond that TBD.

Private Practice

Pushing Daisies

No new episodes until fall.

Reaper

Three pre-strike episodes remain. Future beyond that TBD.

Samantha Who?

Three remaining pre-strike episodes could possibly surface this season, or be held until fall (see Dirty Sexy Money).

Saturday Night Live

Could be back on the air as early as Feb. 16.

Scrubs

Four pre-strike episodes remain. Four additional episodes will likely be shot; unclear whether they’ll air on NBC or go straight to DVD.

Smallville

Four pre-strike episodes remain. Expected to shoot 3 to 5 additional episodes to air in April/May.

Supernatural

Two pre-strike episodes remain. Expected to shoot 3 to 5 additional episodes to air in April/May.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Five pre-strike episodes remain. Future beyond that TBD.

Two and a Half Men

Ugly Betty

Without a Trace

Women’s Murder Club

No additional episodes expected for this season. Future TBD, although one Club member admits, “We’re terrified that it’s over for us.”

* TBD = To be determined

Another one.

Post-Strike Update: When TV Shows Return (Tuesday UPDATE)

The latest rumors on the post-strike return of "Private Practice," "Prison Break," "House," "Gossip Girl" "Bones," "Women's Murder Club" and many other shows.

PRIVATE PRACTICE: The freshman medical drama is not expected to return with new episodes this spring. The Kate Walsh-fronted series will however be back with at least 13 new episodes next season, as will the rest of ABC's Wednesday night line-up ("Pushing Daisies" and "Dirty Sexy Money"). Surprisingly, "Women's Murder Club" may get canceled.

PRISON BREAK: Hollywood press reports FOX won't be ordering additional episodes of "Prison Break" this season - next Monday the drama concludes its current 13-episode arc. The show has gone down over 15% in the ratings this year.

HOUSE/BONES: Furthermore, the network now appears to be inching towards not ordering additional episodes of "House" this season (which has already run out of fresh installments) and "Bones" (the procedural has 4 episodes left in the can).

SMALLVILLE: The CW's veteran drama is now critical to survival of the young network. Following a series of flops and declining ratings, "Smallville" has become CW's top rated scripted hour, keeping eyeballs tuned into the struggling network on lucrative Thursday nights.

The show will have 3-5 new episodes beyond the original 15 pre-strike episodes, increasing the season total to 18-20 episodes. 3-5 new episodes are also expected for its lead-out "Supernatural" which filmed 12 pre-strike episodes, so its season total will be 15-17 episodes.

BLOCKBUSTER TV DRAMAS/DRAMEDIES: Tube's greatest hits like "Grey's Anatomy" and "Desperate Housewives," will be coming back with at least 4-7 new episodes this spring.

CSI and other CBS procedurals: Hit CBS crime dramas are expected to follow the same pattern of other blockbuster TV series - they will be back this spring with 4-7 new episodes.

These shows help keep the Eye network on the top of the ratings (in total viewers, not among adults 18-49, that is), so expect to see more of "CSI," "CSI: Miami," "CSI: New York," "Without a Trace," "NCIS," "Numb3rs," "Criminal Minds" and "Cold Case."

HEROES: NBC's sci-fi drama from the producer Tim Kring was originally planning to open a new arc titled "Villains" in early 2008. Since the studio would probably not be able to film more than 3 new episodes this season, NBC is expected to delay the return of the drama till September, when season 3 launches. Next season may however contain more than the standard 22-23 episodes.

UGLY BETTY: ABC's sophomore comedy would come back this spring for 4 additional episodes, bringing the season total to 17. Executive producer Silvio Horta has said to Entertainment Weekly the writers would however have to tweak the planned storylines as they were originally mapped out for a 23-episode season. 13 episodes have aired thus far.

GOSSIP GIRL: The CW's teen drama based on the series of bestselling books is expected to return in late April with the at least 6 more episodes. Under that scenario, the struggling network may extend its official TV season into the summer. "Gossip Girl" was the first freshman drama to receive a full-season pickup last October.

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER: Given its half-hour format and well-established production, CBS' flashback-laden comedy might (along with the network's top sitcom "Two and a Half Men" and its lead-out "The Big Bang Theory") return for as many as 7 new installments this spring. 11 episodes of "How I Met Your Mother" have aired so far.

24: This is a really tricky one. As you may have heard, 8 episodes had been filmed prior to the strike. Since bringing the show back for an abbreviated season is impossible due to its 24-hour format, the drama will most probably return in January 2009, which means the strike may have cost both fans and people who produce the series an entire season.

SAMANTHA WHO: The single-camera comedy starring Christina Applegate is expected to return March 24, following a new cycle of "Dancing with the Stars." 12 episodes have been filmed, 9 have aired through early December, the remaining 3 episodes will kick off the new batch. As many as 6 new episodes could be filmed this spring, bringing the season total to 18.

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS: The second season of "Friday Night Lights" (including last week's 15th episode) will be released on DVD April 22, and would therefore have no additional episodes. The show's future remains up in the air.

TO GET CANCELED: Shows like "Bionic Woman," "Journeyman" and "Big Shots" are not coming back with new episodes this spring and they are expected to get canceled when the new fall grids are announced in May.

And fuck that Friday Night Lights bullshit. No more episodes? DID THEY WIN STATES? WHAT'S GOING ON WITH STREET OR SMASH?

Ugh.

I hope Reaper doesn't get canned also.

FNL would be the worst loss for me though. They really dropped the ball by not "finishing" this season. I thought this Season 2 was just as good, if not better, than Season 1.

Well he figured it was time to leaving a burning ship. The show hasn't been any good since the 3rd season and THAT was still over the top.

Ok - these are outright lies. Last year - season 6 had an amazing four episode premiere and then managed to be pretty terrible for the other 20 episodes.

But seasons 1-5 are all damn good. Season 4 with Habib Marwan and Season 5 with the shady white house dealings were both awesome.

Ok - therese are outright lies. Last year - season 6 had an amazing four episode premiere and then managed to be pretty terrible for the other 20 episodes.

But seasons 1-5 are all damn good. Season 4 with Habib Marwan and Season 5 with the shady white house dealings were both awesome.

I agree completely. I didn't hate season 6 much when it first aired, but rewatching it on DVD, it's pretty bad. That said, I'm still really looking forward to the new season whenever it ends up airing.