TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

2007 World Series

Since it's official, let's get to discussin'.

This is going to be quite the interesting series. Rockies have everything going for them right now and you don't fluke your way into 20 of 21 wins. The Rockies came into Fenway during Interleague this year and took 2 out of 3, beating Beckett and allowing only 5 runs total in the series.

Early pick: Sox in 6 or 7, but I wouldn't be surprised at anything else. Also, one game will be called because of snow.

You don't fluke your way to 20 of 21, but I think it'll be hard to stay that hot after over a week off. Hopefully will be a great series.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007...tory?id=3070519

Gov. Bill Ritter proclaimed October "Rocktober" in the midst of the Rockies' surge, 21 victories in their last 22 games, with the word written in Rockies purple.

Now the team's lawyers want to determine who gets to use the buzzword, at least anytime there's money involved.

The Rockies filed applications with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Oct. 4 asking for exclusive nationwide rights to use of "Rocktober" -- not only on T-shirts and bobblehead dolls but stuffed animals, Christmas stockings, baby booties and more. . . . The Rockies also filed for trademark protection for the phrase within Colorado, though attorneys say any real protection would come with a federal trademark. That process usually takes a year or more, meaning rights to the phrase wouldn't have much value unless the Rockies can do it again next year.

"I'm just guessing that they hope that next year the Rockies are actually good and don't pull a Chicago White Sox," said Scott Kannady, a Denver lawyer who specializes in trademark and franchise law.

Rocktober? Who's running their promotions department? Metal Ed?

Its like the annoying FM Radio promotions..Its ROCKTOBER..or ZEPTEMBER (lots of led zeppelin) "TWOS"DAY (2 songs by the same artist..BACK TO BACK on TUESDAY!)

My question is which hurts the team more: Playing a full 7 game series having to expend a lot of energy to come back from down 3-1 (Red Sox) or being laid off for 8 days (Rockies)?

Its like the annoying FM Radio promotions..Its ROCKTOBER..or ZEPTEMBER (lots of led zeppelin) "TWOS"DAY (2 songs by the same artist..BACK TO BACK on TUESDAY!)

My question is which hurts the team more: Playing a full 7 game series having to expend a lot of energy to come back from down 3-1 (Red Sox) or being laid off for 8 days (Rockies)?

The seven game series shouldn't hurt the Sox. I heard Josh Beckett is available to pitch all seven games.

Its like the annoying FM Radio promotions..Its ROCKTOBER..

Which leads to the annoying obligatory FM jock joke "Are we renaming April 'Raperil' as well?"

The BoSox should be in the better shape seeing they were playing non-stop with enough rest between games so that everyone is healthy and ready to play. The Rockies on the other hand will have like 9 days off between their last game. There are only so many Sims and BPs that is going to not having them rusty. If they can win either Game 1 or Game 2, they might take this whole series. If Sox take both games, then good luck Rockies, you will be swept.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Yes. That is what it is. That was my joke.

The Rockies filed applications with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Oct. 4 asking for exclusive nationwide rights to use of "Rocktober" -- not only on T-shirts and bobblehead dolls but stuffed animals, Christmas stockings, baby booties and more. . . . The Rockies also filed for trademark protection for the phrase within Colorado, though attorneys say any real protection would come with a federal trademark. That process usually takes a year or more, meaning rights to the phrase wouldn't have much value unless the Rockies can do it again next year.

Terrible.

Rockies PR has long been awful, even locally. Concepts like Dinger are evidence enough.

I'm going with the BoSox in 6 games and Kevin Yukalis (sp?) will be the MPV with 3 HR and 10 RBI. Manny and Papi with wake up and have a monster series. They will spilt the first two games with the Rockies winning the first. The BoSox will then win the next 2 and the Rockies will tie it up before the Sox take the next two for the win.

Shhhhhh don't tell the WWE lawyers, but I wouldn't be surprised to see shirts saying "Do YA SMEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLL

WHAT THE ROX ARE COOKING!" being sold. Most likely by FOX or some unlicenced vendor rather than MLB/Rockies though.

Why would a television company (FOX) sell teeshirts?

All I can hope for is for the series to go six or seven. I want the Red Sox to win at home.

Shhhhhh don't tell the WWE lawyers, but I wouldn't be surprised to see shirts saying "Do YA SMEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLL

WHAT THE ROX ARE COOKING!" being sold. Most likely by FOX or some unlicenced vendor rather than MLB/Rockies though.

[Rock n Sock Connection Joke Goes Here]

They were

My bad, haha. Thanks.

Yes. That is what it is. That was my joke.

MarvinisaLulzkiller

Why would a television company (FOX) sell teeshirts?

FOX sold "Curse Of The Bambino" shirts during the 2003 and 2004 ALCSs, basically just a shirt with Babe Ruth's photo on it without any logo on the cap or uniform, but the photo is from his Boston days... and here it is

babe_ruth.jpg

I know they did it at Yankee Stadium, I don't know about Fenway

Well I can't find the shirt online at the moment, but thats all it was with the FOX Sports logo on the back.

So...what happens to Youkilis when the series shifts to Colorado?

Given the condition of Papi's knee, I don't know if he'll be able to play the field. If anything, they'll take advantage of Youkilis' ability to play 1st and 3rd and give each of those three guys (Ortiz, Youks, Lowell) one night off while they are in Colorado.

Something like this:

1st game: Youks at 1st, Lowell at 3rd

2nd game: Papi at 1st, Youks at 3rd

3rd game: Papi at 1st, Lowell at 3rd

"I'm just guessing that they hope that next year the Rockies are actually good and don't pull a Chicago White Sox," said Scott Kannady, a Denver lawyer who specializes in trademark and franchise law.

Whoa. Sweep the Boston Red Sox first then worry about pulling a White Sox. That said, they are probably going to be more like the Astros... get swept then fall off the map again.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Jason Spilbourghs, Ryan Spilbourghs, same thing.

Slayer: Maff chat tonight? where y'at?

Guest Vitamin X

From the other thread.

Rockies in 5. I agree that if Colorado doesn't put away the Red Sox and are in it for a long series, Boston has more of a chance to pull it out over the long haul. This'll be the first full World Series I've watched since Marlins/Yankees back in 03, and that was the first one I watched in a few years before that.