TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Best Song of 2007

This thread's gonna include a lot of songs I don't know, as I'm not much better at keeping up with new stuff than I am at keeping up with radio-friendly garbage.

That said, I also feel very strongly about !!!'s "Must Be the Moon," though its parent album, Myth Takes, isn't a threat to my meager list of favorites from this year.

Everyone knows Feist "1, 2, 3, 4" is YOUR 2007 Song Of The Year

Because IPod said so.

In all seriousness: Anthony Hamilton "Do You Feel Me"

That song just came out, and I'm getting a soul jazz feel to it.

Probably one of the best pure song songs I've heard all year.

Just music for your ears.

Haven't really heard a lot of good songs on the radio this year. Iguess "The Pretender" is the best song from this year that I can think of, even though it really isn't anything special

LCD Soundsystem - "All My Friends"

Yep, that's it.

About dead even is UGK and Outkast's "International Player's Anthem," my favorite rap song in forever. Strong runner-up consideration granted to M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" and Animal Collective's "Fireworks" and "Peacebone," which are possibly a little higher in my estimation than they need to be since both were fantastic live.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

"All My Friends" is probably the one, but let me also nominate "On and On and On," as well as "Heartbreak" by Celebration.

Yep, that's it.

About dead even is UGK and Outkast's "International Player's Anthem," my favorite rap song in forever.

That song would be my favorite of the year if Pimp C doesn't drag it down with his pointless bars.

They also could have a classic with the "Walk It Out Remix" but Jim Jones and UNK drag that song into the gutter.

Hard to say what would be "Best" but my favorite three tracks were: "You" by Lloyd, "What Goes Around...Comes Around" by Justin Timberlake, and "Do You" by Ne-Yo.

Everyone knows Feist "1, 2, 3, 4" is YOUR 2007 Song Of The Year

Um, that's actually a good song. It's not the best of 2007, but it's by NO means a bad song.

About dead even is UGK and Outkast's "International Player's Anthem," my favorite rap song in forever.

That song would be my favorite of the year if Pimp C doesn't drag it down with his pointless bars.

Pimp's verse is miles better than that weak shit Big Boi spits at the end.

So I have to ask...(Seeing as three people said it) What exactly are the reasons for nominating "All My Friends" as Best song?

Just Youtubed it, and all I can really say about it, is that it's an, Interesting, choice.

So I have to ask...(Seeing as three people said it) What exactly are the reasons for nominating "All My Friends" as Best song?

Just Youtubed it, and all I can really say about it, is that it's an, Interesting, choice.

Great keyboard loop that takes a lot of time to really develop. Sublime backing track that never lets up, very Krautrock-cool. Overall, the music breathes and goes in the right direction every time there's a chance for it to take a fork. Genuinely impassioned singing, deeply affecting semi-surreal but extremely earnest and personal lyrics. Gorgeous hook. The whole song is one giant, perfect crescendo.

Also, if you're watching in on youtube, you might be watching the 5-minute edit, which lacks some of the impact of the epic 7-minutes plus album track.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

I go out of my way to invoke krautrock in discussions, so I see what you were doing there.

The Hives - Tick Tick Boom

The Redwalls - Hangman

Kings Of Leon - Arizona

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Weapon Of Choice

all my nominations... i can't pick just one.

The best summation of what makes "All My Friends" so unbearably great was written on cokemachineglow way back in January when the song first leaked

Here’s how it starts: eighty seconds of minimalist pianos clattering against one another, shimmering deftly before falling into line and forming a two-note structure over minimal bass and hi-hats. Here’s how it ends: the same elements, but six minutes later tumbling over one another, gushing heroic steam, careening at lightning speed but taking the listener too, and James Murphy out of breath but still pushing words out, begging, “If I could see all my friends tonight,” to devastate the listener while he’s -- the music much bigger than him -- tingling with nostalgia and heartbreak and that moment when you inexplicably laugh really hard after crying really, really hard.

It’s some intense, heart-ringing shit. Would it be callous to hate it? LCD Soundsystem set out to make an anthem with “All My Friends,” and while it’s intensely personal, making explicit mentions to, um, being in LCD Soundsystem, it’s still resolutely transcendental, still knows how to swing a Doc Marten right in the torso of the most jaded indie kid, lines emerging like, “I wouldn’t trade one stupid decision / For another five years of life.” It’s hopeless and furious and beautiful sentiment, a tug back into the pubescent mindset that caught fire with a little alcohol and music and girls and a joint or two in the very early morning. All of which understandably sounds pretty Chris Carrabba, but LCD pare down the music to a core contingent of sounds for maximum emotive power, and Murphy’s lyrics build not into a “fuck my parents” explosion but into a more subtle, mature inversion, fearing the end of that bleary way of living, of that community that keeps him alive and of the stone-sober 3 a.m. realization that the fun part of life is over: “And with a face like a dad and a laughable stare / You can sleep on the plane or review what you said / When you’re drunk and the kids look impossibly tan / You’ll come over and over, hey, I’m finally dead.” And so that line that bears the song’s title, panted over and over after seven minutes of dread, is eulogistic -- not celebratory but revelatory, and ardently, profoundly sad.

There’s more that I could say about this track, but you, readers, will probably say it all to each other anyway beneath a case of PBR. In other words: Here, indie world, is your “Baba O’Riley.” Hate it at your own risk.

Yep, that's it.

They also could have a classic with the "Walk It Out Remix" but Jim Jones and UNK drag that song into the gutter.

I agree with this post.

"All My Friends" is probably the one, but let me also nominate "On and On and On," as well as "Heartbreak" by Celebration.

I lived near the Celebration for awhile.

I agree with you guys on the "All My Friends" front, but I think "Intervention" by Arcade Fire at least deserves a mention in this thread.