TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

College Basketball Thread - November '07

It was announced today that something called the College Basketball Invitational will start this year as the 3rd postseason Division I tournament. Basically it will pick up the scraps that the NIT didn't already pick up from the regular tournament. The odd thing about the tournament is the finals will be a best of three format.

It was announced today that something called the College Basketball Invitational will start this year as the 3rd postseason Division I tournament. Basically it will pick up the scraps that the NIT didn't already pick up from the regular tournament. The odd thing about the tournament is the finals will be a best of three format.

Best of the worst?

Best of the worst?

Or experimenting with something that could be used in the championship of the NCAA?

Last night was one of the first big College Hoops nights. Here are some results.

#21 NC State killed Will & Mary 66 - 47

#19 Pittsburgh makes Miss Valley State their bitch with a 78 - 45 knockout blow

#5 Georgetown shellacks Michigan 74 - 52

#4 Kansas destroys a Division II pansy (and hopefully their #1 Seed Chances) Washburn 92 - 60

#20 Stanford pulls out the win aganist Northwestern 71 - 60

And in Tournament Action

Coaches Vs Cancer

#3 Memphis gets passed Oklahoma 63 - 53

UConn beats The Wildcat Killers (Gardner-Webb) 78 - 66

Top of the World Classic

Tennessee State beats Alaska-Fairbanks 78 - 64

Colorado State beats Oregon State 69 - 56

ESPN U: Puerto Rico Tip-Off

VCU pulls one in the last minute over Houston 73 - 72

Providence over Temple 66 - 64

Miami (Florida) blows out Marist 85 - 61

#18 Arkansas destroys Charleston 75 - 49

TV Schedule for the Week of 11/19 - 11/25

Again taking out the ESPN games for this week and a couple of Versus games. It's Thanksgiving Week so that means an ass load of preseason tournaments.

MONDAY

Maui: Marquette at Chaminade, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, ESPN2

Maui: LSU vs. Oklahoma State, 5:00/2:00 PM, ESPN2

CBE: Maryland vs. UCLA, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Maui: Princeton vs. Duke, 9:00/6:00 PM ESPN2

Maui: Illinois vs. Arizona State, 11:30/8:30 PM, ESPN2

TUESDAY

Maui: Marquette vs. Oklahoma State, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Maui: Duke vs. Illinois, 9:30/6:30 PM, ESPN

CBE Championship: UCLA vs. Michigan State, 10:00/7:00 PM, ESPN2

WEDNESDAY

Maui: LSU vs. Arizona State, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN2

Maui: Oklahoma State vs. Illinois, 4:30/1:30 PM, ESPN2

NIT: Texas A&M vs. Washington, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

NIT: Ohio State vs. Syracuse, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

Maui Championship: Marquette vs. Duke, 10:00/7:00 PM, ESPN

Alaska: Michigan vs. Butler, 11:30/8:30 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

Old Spice: South Carolina vs. Penn State, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

Old Spice: N.C. State vs. Rider, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN2

Old Spice: Villanova vs. UCF, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Old Spice: George Mason vs. Kansas State, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

Anaheim: San Diego vs. USC, 11:59 PM/8:59 PM, ESPN2

FRIDAY

Old Spice: Penn State vs. Rider, 10:30/7:30 AM, ESPN2

Old Spice: South Carolina vs. N.C. State, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, ESPN2

Anaheim: Mississippi State vs. Southern Illinois, 3:00 PM/Noon, ESPN2

NIT: Washington vs. Syracuse, 4:30/1:30 PM, ESPN

Old Spice: Villanova vs. George Mason, 5:00/2:00 PM, ESPN2

NIT Championship: Texas A&M vs. Ohio State, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Legends: New Mexico State vs. Texas, 7:00/4:00 PM, Versus

Legends: West Virginia vs. Tennessee, 9:00/6:00 PM, Versus

Anaheim: Miami of Ohio vs. USC, 12:30 AM/9:30 PM, ESPN2

SATURDAY

Legends Championship: Texas vs. Tennessee, 7:00/4:00 PM, Versus

Las Vegas Championship: BYU vs. North Carolina, 10:30/7:30 PM, ESPN2

GAS Championship: Butler vs. Texas Tech, 12:30 AM/9:30 PM, ESPN2

SUNDAY

Old Spice: South Carolina vs. George Mason, 4:30/1:30 PM, ESPN2

Old Spice Championship: N.C. State vs. Villanova, 6:30/3:30 PM, ESPN2

Arizona at Kansas, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Anaheim: Mississippi State vs. Miami of Ohio, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

Anaheim Championship: Southern Illinois vs. USC, 11:30/8:30 PM, ESPN2

Marquette might be good for something after all...and that would be beating Duke so that the hype machine doesn't get too out of control for the Devils.

I am kinda interested in the Great Alaskan Shootout on Thurs. since WKU is playing Gonzaga. The current mid major darlings vs. the old school mid major darlings.

Oh and the Vegas tourney final should rock pretty hard unless BYU or ODU get some kind of delusions and beat UNC or U of L. U of L has had pretty decent luck vs. the Tarheels over the years (aside from the 1997 Elite 8), so that game would be interesting.

Guest Smues

Sad to see not much of the Great Alaskan Shootout is on TV this year. I got tickets for the Wednesday games (Michgan Butler and EWU VT) but I'll be out of town for the rest. As long as Gonzaga doesn't win the whole thing I'll be happy.

Apparently Lil Romeo signed a letter of intent with USC. He's Master P's son, you know. Guess we're gonna make 'em say UGH, UGH...

Oh joy, it looks like David Padgett is now going to be out at least 10 weeks if not for the entire season. At this point I am almost numb to U of L's various injuries. Add Palacios to the injured list as well but at least he'll be back fairly soon (so he can get hurt again).

Looks like a promising season for U of L may already be up in smoke. What is it about Pitino's system that leads to all these injuries?

Well, it seems that Memphis literally gave Arkansas a shit kicking that'll remember for a long time. 84 - 63 in a game that never seemed close at all.

Also the upset bug has hit again.

#12 Oregon has lost to St. Mary's 99 - 87

Plus UCLA has completed the comeback, and is tied 58 all.

UCLA is going to win this but they still just do not rock my world at all. I just don't buy that boring as hell Ben Howland style as a recipe to win a national title. Teams need to be able to score more than 70 points to beat credible tourney opponents.

By the way Memphis beat Ark St. and not Arkansas. Anyone else notice how bad Florida has been squashing these jobbers they've played? Maybe everyone wrote them off unjustly, but we'll see what they do against some actual teams. But hell they do play in the SEC, which is going to be all kinds of horrible this year. Florida may be the 2nd best team in it right now behind Tennessee.

Guest Smues

Glad to see Duke won the Maui title. I watched Butler paste Michigan with 17 3-pointers at the men's opener of the Great Alaska Shootout. Michigan was never really in the game, and whenever they got close a couple of 3's knocked them right back out. I watched most of the first half of the EWU/Virginia Tech game but had to leave for the airport (and at the airport I'm watching some idiots in basketball jerseys go back and forth on the moving walkway things. Yeah, you guys are really cool.) Virginia Tech is clearly the better team, but they played so poorly the first 12 minutes or so that Eastern stayed with them. The portion of the game I saw sucked, but the first 8 minutes were so damned sloppy on both ends it was worth watching, just to awe over the awfulness. After 6 minutes of play we had something like 9 fouls and 11 points. The really great part was when VT committed 3 fouls in about 10 seconds. I don't know what was going on.

Amazingly ESPN.com shows EWU only down by 8 in the 2nd half thus far. I figured VT would roll them in the 2nd half, but I guess they're still playing retard ball.

Yeah, it got ugly for Michigan but I liked the way they fought back. Butler was just too hot from outside. Just gotta tip your cap to them and say "good game". Michigan has a really young team and needs time to figure out Belien's system. I think they have a bright future but there's gonna be some growing pains.

Great. BYU beat U of L by 2 tonight so now I don't get to see my guys get trashed by UNC tomorrow in this Vegas tourney. It's maddening to see games like this one tonight because I know with Padgett and Palacios we would beat a journeyman team like BYU with no real difficulty.

OJ Mayo has to learn how to play without the ball. He is a blackhole right now, when the ball goes in, it doesn't come out.

OJ Mayo has to learn how to play without the ball. He is a blackhole right now, when the ball goes in, it doesn't come out.

He had that problem in Ohio as well (from the two games I saw him play). Really good game last night.

Arizona/Kansas heading to overtime. Brandon Rush nearly hit a three-quarters court shot at the buzzer that just rolled off the rim.

And KU pulls it out in OT to avoid the upset. That was the first game of the Big XII/Pac-10 "Hardwood Series" which is a copycat of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, which starts tomorrow night, but does have several interesting match-ups. The Big East and SEC have something going on as well the week after next but it's only four games and has a pretty bland schedule.

TV Schedule for the Week of 11/26 - 12/2

Here are the ESPN games and the FSN (mostly) national games.

MONDAY

Wake Forest at Iowa, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

TUESDAY

Georgia Tech at #15 Indiana, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Minnesota at Florida State, 7:30/4:30PM, ESPN2

#20 Wisconsin at #7 Duke, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Purdue at #18 Clemson, 9:30/6:30 PM, ESPN2

WEDNESDAY

#24 N.C. State at #10 Michigan State, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Illinois at Maryland, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN2

#1 North Carolina at Ohio State, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Virginia Tech at Penn State, 9:30/6:30 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

#17 Oregon at #25 Kansas State, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

Oklahoma at #22 USC, 11:00/8:00 PM, FSN

FRIDAY

Iowa State at Oregon State, 11:00/8:00 PM, FSN

SATURDAY

#1 North Carolina at Kentucky, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN2

Connecticut vs. #19 Gonzaga, 3:30/12:30 PM, ESPN

Washington at Oklahoma State, 5:30/2:30 PM, ESPN

Missouri at California, 11:00/8:00 PM, FSN

SUNDAY

#4 Kansas at #22 USC, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, FSN

St. John's at Miami, 4:00/1:00 PM, FSN

#9 Texas A&M at Arizona, 6:00/3:00 PM, FSN

#8 Texas at #2 UCLA, 8:00/5:00 PM, FSN

I'm beginning to think Wayne Ellington may be more important to the Heels than Hansbrough, although he got a lot of shots because of the attention Tyler was getting underneath. Plus, they didn't even have Ty Lawson in the lineup, so my Heels are going to be scary once they start REALLY clicking.

My B team, the Wolfpack looked like a bunch of high schoolers last night against Michigan State, the Spartans seemed to just score at will and steal the ball on defense every other possession.

Being a UNC fan with NC State as your b-team is pretty weird. Not quite as weird as if you replaced NC State with Duke, but still pretty weird.

The main reason for this is because I live in Raleigh, but ALL of my friends here either go to State or graduated from State (unlike myself), so I feel kind of guilty rooting for them to lose in a game like last night.

Would you cheer for Wake Forest?

I wonder, what is more convoluted: North Carolina basketball allegiances (UNC, Duke, NC St., Wake) or Kentucky/Louisville allegiances? I'd have to go with Carolina.