TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 79: Nemesis

I think Wandy knocks Chuck out cold tonight. I don't think he's just going to run in for Chuck to counterpunch him. I don't see this making is to round 3.

Going to Hooters tonight to watch

What a badass fight.

Silva got a few shots in, but Liddell was sonnin him the whole fight.

The spinning backfist was cool.

I agree about Silva's chin. How he didn't get knocked out is fucking amazing.

Silva looked like how he did against Yoshida in his fights with him. More patient then usual, because he respected him too much to charge in. The difference here? Liddell is a MUCH better fighter then Yoshida. Silva's patience didn't pay off because Liddell has enough skill and reach to make him pay.

In the end, I think this result was the best for UFC. Liddell wins, so you can give him another high profile fight. Silva didn't get KO'd, and instead looked like the terminator with how he absolutely refused to fall. Neither man's career is destroyed from this, and both can move on.

GSP completely destroyed Hughes. Last time, it was striking. This time, he out-Hughes'd Hughes. That was amazing.

Sounds like this was a good overall card. I'll check it out just to see Melvin Guillard punching his ticket out of the UFC.

Sounds like this was a good overall card. I'll check it out just to see Melvin Guillard punching his ticket out of the UFC.

Fuck that. Rich is just as much as a insigator of the whole situation, even more so. It was a good fight, Guillard rocked Clementi in the stand up. Guillard is still young he'll fight another day. Where as Clementi will get destroyed most likely his next fight.

GSP beating Hughes by armbar is a great way to end the series. Props for Hughes admitting GSP is the better fighter. Never thought I heard that from Matt. I'll be there along with many other TSM Canucks to watch GSP avenge his loss against Serra.

Chuck/Wandy was a great slugfest. Chuck looked good, and even used his wrestling to help win him the fight. Wandy showed strong chin, and didnt back down at all. We will most likely see a rematch down the road.

Props to GSP for manning up and saying what everybody was thinking about the belt. Serra + GSP + Montreal = Hottest crowd ever.

Yeah I agree with that, it shows how humble GSP really is.

The Lyoto/Sokoudjou and Sanchez/Palelei fights aside, this was an easy thumbs up. Guillard/Clementi was fun, but the non-fight stuff was better. Liddell/Silva was balls out stuff, though it did take most of the first round for them to get going. And what more can be said about GSP's total domination of Matt Hughes for the second straight fight? This was a really good PPV to end the year on for the UFC.

Sorry bro, I got out at 10 and got home just in time to catch the first fight. I have to supervise and close, and even then I left an hour early :(

I probably would have hit someone during the Wand/Chuck fight, though. So for everyones safety, it's best that I watched alone.

*Points to fantasy score*

Point Score: 198

Your Ranking: 23 out of 17873

Plus...

BOCEK~!!!

I thought the defining moment was going to be GSP repeatedly slamming Hughes's head to the ground using only his hips. That is until the armbar to put a fitting end to the trilogy. I really hope that is the GSP that says hello to Matt Serra for the championship bout.

Guest Warriorfan

It's fitting that the fight of the year came on the last pay per-view for the UFC. I never thought Liddell and Silva could've lasted more than a RD in a slugfest and yet they did it for almost 3. Liddell really redeemed himself tonight; his moment of truth came with the knock down in the same RD that Jardine scored his and he responded like a champion. Silva doesn't lose any of his stature despite the loss as this was the best he has looked in several fights.

It will be interesting as to who Dana sets the 2 up with in their next fights. I wouldn't mind Shogun vs Silva as a potential matchup.

To Hughes vs GSP, the GSP by annihilation camp had it right! I thought GSP could never repeat the perfect performance he scored in their rematch and that Hughes would equally not underperform as he did in that fight. GSP looked like a machine tonight and with the fight being in his backyard he should bring that edge to the Serra fight.

I was pretty disappointed by Chuck & Wanderlei. Not because it was a bad fight or anything but I just expected it to be a different fight.

I was fine with the first two rounds, but a little annoyed that by the third round, Silva was still content with being so patient. The way he was getting tagged, and the way Chuck was getting the better of the exchanges, you'd think Silva would start getting a little bit more busy by the third round. The first two rounds I enjoyed a lot though.

Maybe Liddell vs. Griffin, and then the winner of that gets Rampage.

Forrest already gets his title shot. Besides a guy losing his title and getting another shot with 1 win really bothers me.

I thought that might have been the case, I've kind of been out of the loop recently. Although beating a fighter who was the number one or number two 205 pounder for years has to count more than just a normal victory.

Especially if that fighter you beat holds two brutal KO's over the champ...who holds two brutal TKO's over you. Weird.

I think something that should be noted is that the reason a lot of people picked Chuck was that his counterpunching style would be perfect for an aggressive fighter like Wanderlei. However, last night Chuck was doing most of the stalking and was initiating most of the exchanges. It looks like when he expects to face a striker or expects the person not to want to take him down, he is more varied with his strikes and his gameplan, as he was throwing more kicks than usual, even adding in a backfist.