TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

One Game You Wish You Could Have Seen

Game 1 of the 1996 ALCS so I could punch Jeffrey Meier in the face afterwards

Cal's 2131 game

Why not beforehand?

I was assuming that we were going with the idea that you could go back and attend the event with no knowledge of what would happen, hence I wouldnt know about the little shit catching the ball til after it happened. But Id knock him back into 1995, and his ass wouldn't be paraded around like a hero (which annoyed me more than just the fact that he caught the ball).

Maybe the game with the Shot Heard 'Round the World. I always wish I could have seen a game at the Polo Grounds and that seems like it would be the most famous one.

Maybe the game with the Shot Heard 'Round the World. I always wish I could have seen a game at the Polo Grounds and that seems like it would be the most famous one.

Hmm, there's an idea. Most famous games at the Polo Grounds.

1. October 3, 1951. Bobby Thomson's "Shot Heart Round the World."

2. September 29, 1954. Willie Mays' famous catch, Giants win game one of World Series.

3. July 10, 1934. Carl Hubbell strikes out five Hall of Famers in succession, but American League wins All Star game.

4. August 16, 1920. Carl Mays kills Ray Chapman.

5. October 15, 1917. White Sox win game six and the World Series thanks to crucial fielding miscue by Giants that leaves home plate unoccupied.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

Wrigley Field, while we can still call it that before the owner of the White Sox (either Zell or Reinsdorf, to whom Zell would sell it) sell the name.

Wrigley Field, while we can still call it that before the owner of the White Sox (either Zell or Reinsdorf, to whom Zell would sell it) sell the name.

I'll hit Ebbets and Sportsmans Park tomorrow. Since I have a bit of time before tonight's Smackdown show, here's what I came up for in regards to Wrigley Field.

1. October 1, 1932. Babe Ruth calls his shot as the Yankees win game three of the World Series.

2. October 8, 1929. Philadelphia manager Connie Mack bypasses his best starters in favor of journeyman Howard Ehmke to start game one. Ehmke responds by striking out 13 Cub hitters.

3. October 14, 2003. Steve Bartman interferes with a foul ball as the Cubs implode in the eighth inning of game six of the NLCS.

4. September 28, 1938. Gabby Hartnett's "Homer in the Gloamin'." Hartnett hits a game-winning home run with dusk descending on Wrigley Field to claim first place in the NL Pennant Race with less than a week to go.

5. May 6, 1998. Kerry Wood strikes out 20 batters and allows one hit, an infield single.

Five for Ebbets Field.

1. April 15, 1947. Jackie Robinson integrates baseball.

2. October 5, 1941. Mickey Owens' passed ball leads to a Yankee rally in game four. The Yankees took a 3-1 series lead and went on to win the Series.

3. October 3, 1947. Yankees pitcher Bill Bevens loses a no-hitter and the game with one pitch in game four.

4. October 1, 1950. The Whiz Kids win the pennant on the season's final day.

5. June 15, 1938. The Dodgers host their first night game. Johnny Vander Meer seizes the moment and throws his second no-hitter in a row.

2. October 8, 1929. Philadelphia manager Connie Mack bypasses his best starters in favor of journeyman Howard Ehmke to start game one. Ehmke responds by striking out 13 Cub hitters.

I actually read the story behind this when I was a kid. Ehmke knew this would probably be his only chance to pitch in a World Series, so he made a plea to Mack. Mack agreed, and sent him to scout the Cubs during the last week of the season so he'd be well-prepared for his start.

Off the top of my head, Yankee Stadium.

1. Larson's Perfect Game, 1956 World Series

2. Cone's Perfect Game: Larson throws out the first pitch to Berra; 1999

3. Wells' Perfect Game: Stottlemyre to Torre: "He has no-hit stuff today" 1998

4. "The Greatest Game Ever Played" Giants vs. Colts, 1958 NFL Championship

5. 2003 ALCS Game 7

Riverfront Stadium

1. 1985, Pete Rose breaks career hit record

2. 1974, Hank Aaron ties Ruth with #714

3. 1972 NLCS Game 5, Bench's two-run walkoff sends Reds to the WS

3. 1988, Tom Browning's perfect game

4. 1970 All-Star Game, Rose-Fosse incident

Sportsmans Park was a bit difficult, I'm sure I forgot something. I feel pretty good about the top few though.

1. October 15, 1946. Enos Slaughter scores from first on a double in the eighth as the Cardinals win the World Series.

2. August 19, 1951. Eddie Gaedel pinch hits and walks.

3. October 6, 1934. Dizzy Dean inexplicably pinch runs and is beaned on the noggin during a double play. (Game Four of the World Series)

4. September 28, 1947. Broadcaster Dizzy Dean complains that he could pitch better in retirement than the Browns' current pitching staff. The Browns take him up on his offer, and Dizzy throws four scoreless innings.

5. August 24, 1951. Browns' owner Bill Veeck runs "grandstand managers day."

Tiger Stadium

1. October 9, 1934. The Tigers lose game seven 11-0. Joe Medwick nearly sets a World Series record but is removed from the game after Tiger fans pelt him with produce.

2. July 13, 1971. All-Star game sees Reggie Jackson hit a home run off a light tower.

3. October 14, 1984. The Tigers win game five and the World Series, sealing the victory with Kirk Gibson's eighth-inning home run off Goose Gossage.

4. October 7, 1935. Goose Goslin's walk-off single gives the Tigers their first World championship.

5. July 8, 1941. Ted Williams hits a walk-off home run in an All-Star game.

For Sportsman's Park, I would've also included October 1, 1944, where the Browns completed a four-game sweep of the Yankees with a 5-2 win, and clinched their only AL pennant in St. Louis on the last day of the season. They also drew over 35,000 fans, which I think was a record for the Browns.

For Sportsman's Park, I would've also included October 1, 1944, where the Browns completed a four-game sweep of the Yankees with a 5-2 win, and clinched their only AL pennant in St. Louis on the last day of the season. They also drew over 35,000 fans, which I think was a record for the Browns.

Ok, move that one into the #5 slot.

Atlanta Fulton County Stadium

1. April 8, 1974. Hank Aaron hits his 715th career home run.

2. October 28, 1995. The Braves win their only World Series in Atlanta.

3. October 14, 1992. The greatest ending to a league championship series ever. Down 2-1 with two outs in the ninth and the bases loaded, Fernando Cabrera drives in two runs with a single.

4. October 23, 1996. Mark Wohlers meets Jim Leyritz in game four of the World Series.

5. July 4, 1985. The wildest game ever, the Mets beat the Braves 16-13 in 19 innings. Postgame fireworks at 3:55am go on as planned.

The Astrodome

1. October 15, 1986. Game six of the NLCS, Mets win in 16.

2. October 12, 1980. Phillies win the NLCS, capping the most intense playoff series ever.

3. October 11, 1980. Game four of said series. Besides the Phillies comeback, highlight is a controversial fourth inning play that takes 15 minutes to untangle.

4. April 9, 1965. First exhibition game of Astrodome sees Mickey Mantle hit first home run.

5. April 15, 1968. Lots of games under consideration, including no-hitters. I went ahead and picked this obscure gem. Not really famous per say, but check out two teams posting duel shutouts for nearly 24 innings!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HO...196804150.shtml

Ok, Yankee Stadium. Bauer, how can you possibly have the two perfect games on there?

1. October 8, 1956. Don Larsen's perfect game

2. October 1, 1961. Roger Maris hits home run #61.

3. October 10, 1926. Pete Alexander strikes out Tony Lazzeri, Cardinals win World Series.

4. October 18, 1977. Reggie Jackson hits three home runs on three pitches.

5. July 24, 1983. The "Pine Tar" incident.

6. October 4, 1955. Sandy Amaros' catch, Brooklyn wins World Series.

7. October 16, 2003. Pedro stays in too long.

8. October 14, 1976. Chris Chambliss hits home run to win ALCS.

9. July 4, 1939. Lou Gehrig's retirement speech.

10. April 18, 1923. Yankee Stadium opens, Babe Ruth christens the park with a home run.

The Astrodome

3. October 11, 1980. Game four of said series. Besides the Phillies comeback, highlight is a controversial fourth inning play that takes 15 minutes to untangle.

Is that the play where the ball hit a speaker on the roof and nobody could figure out the rule? Or am I thinking of a different game?

The Astrodome

Is that the play where the ball hit a speaker on the roof and nobody could figure out the rule? Or am I thinking of a different game?

Different game. In this case, runners on 1st/2nd with none out. Garry Maddox hits a one-hop ball to pitcher Vern Ruhle who throws to first. One of the umpires decides the ball was caught on the fly, putting the other two runners in jeopardy. The apparent triple play is negotiated down to a double play.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I thought of another fight that would've been really fun to see live:

George Foreman and Ron Lyle's gorilla smashfest.