TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

Guest Tzar Lysergic
I'm just hoping it wasn't a one off season for the Browns (and Anderson) and that they can do some good again this season. NFL certainly think so, so many prime time football games for the Browns this year, after like 3-4 years of NO TV!

Not sure who'll they'll go for in the draft.

Hard to say since they won't be selecting anyone until Sunday. They certainly can't draft for needs with positioning like that. I'll go on record saying that they'll win their division this year, though. I really like the defensive additions they made, and their offense was very good, and is extremely young. This is a wonderful thing to have in a soft division. The Ravens don't have a QB, and won't have one this season, the Steelers are good not great, and the Bengals are in self-destruct mode. They should use the late rounds to grab RB depth and fast defenders with good character. Basically, model themselves as the opposite of Cincinatti.

Think Browns are lucky, or maybe clever, in that there's no real decent offensive players in this years Draft, its mainly all D, as people have been saying all year round. Like I said earlier, I'm not sure what they need, I quiet like the team set up at the moment. Maybe some pacey CBs just to throw on against tired legs - watched NFL for years, but never really taken it into great depth until recently.

Drafting Quinn and Thomas last year seems to have paid off, though I guess it'll show more come Sunday when they've made this years draft picks.

Just glad I'll be able to catch Browns on telly for once.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I just noticed you were british. The fuck did you pick the Browns for? Relatives in the area? Wife from there?

haha

Well, I used to like Seahawks, but changed to Browns once the Seahawks got to Superbowl. Was reading an article about American Football in a Newcastle United Fanzine, and it was about how the Cleveland Browns were basically the Newcastle United of American Football, in that they never win anything but have good supporters and a deep history in the game. So I thought, hey why not.

It was Browns or Dolphins (since Dolphins are twined with Gateshead Senators the local American Football team in the North East)

Guest Vitamin X
I had been wondering why the Bay Area gets two teams and L.A. gets none. Let the Raiders moving back to L.A. to even things out.

Nah, leave the Raiders in Oakland. The Rams are the team that needs to come back to Los Angeles. They were in Los Angeles longer than the Raiders (and before the Dodgers). They're currently stuck in a shitty jerry-built dome in an area that cares much more about baseball than football, with non-local ownership assuming control of the team. This gives you a Los Angeles/Seattle/San Francisco/Arizona division, which probably makes the most sense, and it keeps Los Angeles in the NFC, where it has most of its history.

I don't know of a better relocation candidate. The Bills will end up in Toronto before Los Angeles, the Vikings will probably end up sharing a stadium with the University of Minnesota before ultimately building its own stadium (though this is wasteful and stupid and I'm sure those prudent frugal Norwegians up dere would rather just have both teams use TCF Bank Stadium), and the vibe I get from the Jaguars is that they'd do what the Nashville Predators' fans just did:

"NOOOOOO!!!!!! YOU CAN'T TAKE THE TEAM WE LOVE SO MUCH!!! WE'LL BUY EVERY TICKET YOU HAVE AND MORE!!!!"

(team doesn't move)

(fans stop caring)

I agree with you, although Minnesota moving to Los Angeles would be a good move since they're more likely to get fans going to the games than the shitty Rams. Plus, re-alignment's easy, just swap the Rams and Vikings' divisions. It's not like L.A. hasn't gotten good use out of a former Minnesota-based team before (expect to see that repeated ad nauseum if the Vikes do move to L.A.).

I had been wondering why the Bay Area gets two teams and L.A. gets none. Let the Raiders moving back to L.A. to even things out.

Nah, leave the Raiders in Oakland. The Rams are the team that needs to come back to Los Angeles. They were in Los Angeles longer than the Raiders (and before the Dodgers). They're currently stuck in a shitty jerry-built dome in an area that cares much more about baseball than football, with non-local ownership assuming control of the team. This gives you a Los Angeles/Seattle/San Francisco/Arizona division, which probably makes the most sense, and it keeps Los Angeles in the NFC, where it has most of its history.

I don't know of a better relocation candidate. The Bills will end up in Toronto before Los Angeles, the Vikings will probably end up sharing a stadium with the University of Minnesota before ultimately building its own stadium (though this is wasteful and stupid and I'm sure those prudent frugal Norwegians up dere would rather just have both teams use TCF Bank Stadium), and the vibe I get from the Jaguars is that they'd do what the Nashville Predators' fans just did:

"NOOOOOO!!!!!! YOU CAN'T TAKE THE TEAM WE LOVE SO MUCH!!! WE'LL BUY EVERY TICKET YOU HAVE AND MORE!!!!"

(team doesn't move)

(fans stop caring)

I agree with you, although Minnesota moving to Los Angeles would be a good move since they're more likely to get fans going to the games than the shitty Rams. Plus, re-alignment's easy, just swap the Rams and Vikings' divisions. It's not like L.A. hasn't gotten good use out of a former Minnesota-based team before (expect to see that repeated ad nauseum if the Vikes do move to L.A.).

Send the Rams back to LA, which shouldn't be as hard as it's imagined to be...

Now that Georgia Frontieri has dropped dead, the team needs to be sold and it could go back to someone who wants the team in LA, such as Carroll Rosenbloom's son that she snaked the franchise away from in the first place.

Guest blame that goot.
Minnesota moving to Los Angeles would be a good move since they're more likely to get fans going to the games than the shitty Rams.

You CAN'T move the Minnesota Vikings. Way too much history, too many fans, too many of them Germanic. You don't step to that. Besides, it's the NFL, the shitty teams change from year to year.

Jacksonville is the most likely of teams to move to LA...

Depends on what happens with the St. Louis ownership situation.

Now that Georgia Frontieri is dead, there's no real ties keeping the Rams in St. Louis. If any of Carroll Rosenbloom's kids are involved in the new ownership group, they'd probably be interested in taking the franchise back to LA.

(At least one of the sons was supposed to take over the team when he (Carroll) drowned, but his wife Georgia finagled the team into her control instead.)

So I guess the Bengals just turned down an offer from Washington for this year's 1st round and next years conditional 3rd rounder(which could move to their first round pick if Johnson's hits certain numbers this year) in exchange for Chad Johnson.

I guess the Bengals really don't want to trade him since that is probably the best offer they are gonna get.

I wouldn't mind having Chad Johnson, but at THAT price, I dunno. On a team with a new head coach and a new offense being installed, I kind of think the less drama the better and the Redskins have some depth issues they need to address with the draft.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Fuck, I'd trade a first and a third for Johnson in a heartbeat. If I really need a WR, keeping those picks would be like saying you can find a better WR with that pick. There's maybe three WRs in the league I'd rate over Johnson. Randy Moss, Reggie Wayne..maybe two. Braylon Edwards? I've never been big on T.O...

I'm not familiar enough with the Skins' situation.

The Bengals don't want to trade him because they couldn't possibly get enough of a ROI for a star like that. Definitely not in the late-middle part of the first this year.

Tellin' ya, Bengals are going to be so, so bad this year.

Fuck, I'd trade a first and a third for Johnson in a heartbeat. If I really need a WR, keeping those picks would be like saying you can find a better WR with that pick. There's maybe three WRs in the league I'd rate over Johnson. Randy Moss, Reggie Wayne..maybe two. Braylon Edwards? I've never been big on T.O...

I'm not familiar enough with the Skins' situation.

The Bengals don't want to trade him because they couldn't possibly get enough of a ROI for a star like that. Definitely not in the late-middle part of the first this year.

Tellin' ya, Bengals are going to be so, so bad this year.

Well like I said, it's not that I wouldn't want Chad, but the Redskins have depth issues at other positions, and are aging on the lines. I guess if the Skins were thinking about a WR with their 1st round pick, then getting Chad instead wouldn't be bad, but then next years 3rd rounder could turn into next year's 1st rounder......I dunno......it is a big trade if it somehow happens.

Minnesota moving to Los Angeles would be a good move since they're more likely to get fans going to the games than the shitty Rams.

You CAN'T move the Minnesota Vikings. Way too much history, too many fans, too many of them Germanic. You don't step to that. Besides, it's the NFL, the shitty teams change from year to year.

If David Stern took over the NFL they would move, like it or fucking not.

Guest blame that goot.

Was there one moment when David Stern became an idiot, or was it a gradual decline?

Was there one moment when David Stern became an idiot, or was it a gradual decline?

Well, I think it was gradual but last year's SA-PHX series pretty much cinched it for me.

The Dolphins have signed Jake Long to a 5-year, $57 million deal with $30 million guaranteed.

This is less than JaMarcus Russell's deal (Approximately $67 million with $33 million guaranteed) from last year, but that was a six-year deal instead of a five-year deal. (That appealed to both sides because Parcells apparently didn't want to gurantee $70+ million and Long liked being one year closer to free-agency than normal.)

The Rams are now on the clock.

Every team from 2-16 is potentially screwed with Long taking a five year deal instead of the potential six year. Why would anybody representing one of those 15 guys take a six year deal when the person above them didn't have one?

I eagerly await the Dolphins still managing to wait through nine and a half minutes before announcing the selection.

Every team from 2-16 is potentially screwed with Long taking a five year deal instead of the potential six year. Why would anybody representing one of those 15 guys take a six year deal when the person above them didn't have one?

I eagerly await the Dolphins still managing to wait through nine and a half minutes before announcing the selection.

I think the length of the deal is potentially a wash...

The teams will tell the player "Do you want more guaranteed money or do you want to hit free agency quicker?"

I'm willing to bet a number of players will jump on the "more money" bandwagon because they've seen how many high first-round picks flame out either due to injury or poor production.

Yeah. but I think it used to be 15 minutes wasn't it? I think that's right.

Yeah, it used to be 15 minutes per pick.

I think they shortened it to 10 as part of changing the first day of the draft to only two rounds.

Per NFL.com, the Seahawks have cut former league MVP Shawn Alexander, just 2 years after he got himself a new long-term contract.

Well, they have Julius Jones and TJ Duckett to replace him so good move.

HAHAHHAHAHJAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA.

Guest Vitamin X

Whoever picks up Shaun Alexander will probably get himself a good deal akin to Cleveland signing Jamal Lewis last year. Meaning, he's probably not great enough to go back to his MVP years, but he will probably be a dependable 1,000 yard rusher.

I need part of his release to have a stipulation that requires Duckett and Jones to be mic'd all year.

Just so I can hear:

Duckett: Hey, Julius. I bet you can run pussier than me!

JJ: What? I can out pussy run you backwards on one foot!!

Duckett: Well, its ON!

I'm not high on Jones but Duckett actually performed really well with the Lions last season. Plus they have Maurice Morris and they could still draft a guy like Jonathan Stewart. Maybe they could be like the Giants, a team who rolled out 4 different RB's at different points in the season. Alexander looks done at this point.

I'm curious how the Lito Sheppard situation will turn out.

I'd love for them to land a WR, but I don't know which team would be willing to trade one.

From what I'm reading and hearing... Roy Williams from the Lions would most likely be the WR they will be going after.