TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

Yeah. Kinda missed the boat on that one, but who knows if he'd want to play in such a small market to begin with.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

The Jets got Faneca, huh? That sucks. He was a key piece in my Meat Mountain plan for repairing the Bears O-Line this offseason.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I think I like what Cleveland has done this offseason. Their most glaring problem last year was defense, and considering the already had no 1st round pick, what defensive standout would've been hanging around late second round or after? Anyone that would logically make an immediate impact? I'm not so sure. Williams and Rogers are both better right now than anyone they would've drafted. Good moves.

Not to mention that they re-signed Anderson, and have arguably the best young receiver in the league. Last season's not going to be a one time shot.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
The skillset Porter brings to the table is what we need. Attitude...I'm not so sure.

Whatever you end up getting, it's going to cost 10 million dollars and get beat up by Bob Sanders twice per year.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Heard some noise about Chicago re-signing Briggs.

Goodie gumdrops. That would be an enormous hole to fill.

I'm surprised the Eagles got Clemons for 5/18. In this market, where Justin Smith is getting 6/45, a young guy with the ability to get to the QB I thought would cost more. He should be a nice rotational DE with Juqua and Abiamiri getting some more reps in his 2nd season. They still need to take a DE in the draft, but at least now it can be one to groom to replace Howard next year as opposed to getting someone who has to step in this season.

Josh Brown signed with the Rams for 4/14 mil, with a 4 million dollar signing bonus.

The Seahawks most consistant player has now left the team.

Former Pats CB Gay reportedly agrees to contract with Saints

ESPN.com news services

The New Orleans Saints agreed to a four-year contract with cornerback Randall Gay worth up to $17.8 million, according to NFL.com and the New Orleans Times Picayune.

The Times Picayune is reporting that the deal is worth about $6.7 million in salary and bonuses over the first two years, with a chance to go up to $9 million, based on playing time.

Gay, who played at LSU, made the Saints his first visit and his first priority in free agency according to the Times Picayune.

Gay played all 16 games for the New England Patriots last season. The 25-year-old made three starts with three interceptions and 38 total tackles.

Gay is the second cornerback the Patriots lost to free agency this week. Asante Samuel agreed to a six-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles on Friday.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Wow, Briggs signed for peanuts, despite being the best FA LB out there.

The Bears get him for 6yrs/36M. 12M guaranteed.

Vikes got Berrian for 6/42. 16 Million signing bonus.

Just heard the Steelers locked up Ben for over 100 mil.

Guest Beastalentier

Do you think Minnesota overpaid for Berrian, bearing in mind (as it were) that he's not a #1 receiver anywhere but the Bears?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Absolutely. That's why I wanted Chicago to turn him loose like they did.

The drawback is that this leaves the Bears with precisely dick at WR. They'll get desparate and take Limas Sweed in the 1st, so I can run for the nearest toilet.

Guest Beastalentier

I think they take back Marty Booker. Shane Matthews and The A-Train can't be far behind.

Off the top of my head I want to say he is overpaid, but given the way to salary cap jumps so much every season anymore top or even second level FAs really don't become available (due to the franchise tag and early big money resignings) teams have to "overpay" to grab the guy in a thin FA market. So while I think it is surprising that there is a market where a Bernard Berrian can get that kind of dea, no I don't think he was overpaid.

Anymore the average team seems to have $15+ mil in cap space going into the offseason, so you kind of have to adjust the view you look at the contracts with.

Guest Beastalentier

Email-Hub.jpg

Welcome back to The Dick Jauron Show.

AB68C64BF46E46DEB9D4019053667161.jpg

It's not my show, but I'm on that show.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Maybe the numbers look ok in terms of cap space and whatnot, but given what I saw out of him week in and week out in Chicago, I certainly wouldn't sign him to anything long term. He is not a first-option wide out, period. He doesn't get separation from the better CBs in the league, and it's not like he's a great big guy that can get jump balls. At best, he's a decent #2, or he'd be a terrific slot receiver or trips kind of guy. Neither Chicago nor Minnesota have enough good receivers to run those schemes. Bad signing.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Would you take Jauron and Shoop back over Lovie and Turner?

Guest Beastalentier

"I'll be happy if we win 2-0" vs. "We went away from the run because they'll eventually stop it"? Tough call.

Guest Vitamin X

Hey, at least Lovie got you to the Super Bowl, and had a fairly fun team to watch. Jauron's teams were mercilessly boring and only got to the playoffs once, losing in the process.

Guest Vitamin X

WTF, indeed. Didn't you guys just release Griese two years ago? You could've waited for him to have gotten cut soon, anyways.

WTF, indeed. Didn't you guys just release Griese two years ago? You could've waited for him to have gotten cut soon, anyways.

The FO apparently didn't want to get into a bidding war for his services. This was almost certainly not going to happen, as the guy's been a failure everywhere he's been. Griese apologists in the Tampa fanbase point to his pre-injury 5-1 record as a starter in his last stint here, but fail to remember the circumstances that led to that--which is basically that the teams we beat were all awful, like the post-Moss Vikings, the Dolphins after Ricky Williams retired, etc. I've been willing to give Gruden and Allen the benefit of the doubt with the slow start to the FA period thus far, but this particular move makes no sense to me. A stable of mediocre, AARP-eligible QBs is not the way to succeed.