TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - February 2008

I never noticed it much as a kid, but Christ, Gorilla Monsoon sure rakes a lot of referees over the coals. I remember being confused by Meltz's accusations against Gorilla for burying too many people. He didn't really do that for the wrestlers, but he just trashes the referees on a regular basis. He almost sounds like a heel any time he's referring to a ref.

The build to Wrestlemania 2 makes the last couple of TNT shows watchable, but I still can't wait until it's over. I know the show folded in 1986, so when we get Gene as the new host, we know the end is near. Hopefully they don't restart the show and instead opt to air something like Superstars. That'd make a lot more sense, since that was the show where everything happened in the pre-RAW days.

You know, it's funny...JR recently told a story on his blog that when he used to do broadcasts with Gorilla for Superstars or the short-lived Radio WWF, Gorilla would really go off on the wrestlers and the state of the wrestling industry. They would often have to stop and redo their commentary. Gorilla was pretty old school.

I'd love to see the old Superstars again. Thing is, the WWF doesn't own the trademark for Superstars of Wrestling. The title anyway.

You know, it's funny...JR recently told a story on his blog that when he used to do broadcasts with Gorilla for Superstars or the short-lived Radio WWF, Gorilla would really go off on the wrestlers and the state of the wrestling industry. They would often have to stop and redo their commentary. Gorilla was pretty old school.

I'd love to see the old Superstars again. Thing is, the WWF doesn't own the trademark for Superstars of Wrestling. The title anyway.

I believe it was Ross or maybe Heenan who said Monsoon's license plate on his car actually read "Kayfabe"

Seeing the Undertaker/Paul Bearer segment on Raw made me smile, I knew the whole segment by heart (in fact, there was a time where saying "I haaaate yooouuuu......with ALL that I am!" in a shaky voice was an recurring joke between friends) Seeing Taker kneeling back to Bearer nearly broke my heart as a kid......but dammit he had no choice! Bearer had him by the balls. Of course, this was a legit situation at the time since Bearer wasn't wearing his makeup, so you know this was 100% real.

Man, I miss being a true mark. :lol:

I have this memory that Taker joining Bearer led to a 6 man tag on Shotgun / Metal where Taker/Vader/Mankind took on 3 other guys... but unless that happens THIS Saturday (in 24/7 time), I can't see that fitting because Mankind is about to be a face. Or it didn't happen at all.

I watched ECW today and noticed they have a "new" set for the present day segments. Interesting. The Superbomb Neckbreaker move that Richards took was pretty cool.

Yeah, looked it up:

May 31st Shotgun:

Farooq, Savio Vega, & Crush defeated WWF World Champion the Undertaker, Vader, & Mankind (w/ Paul Bearer) when Farooq pinned Vader with a roll up.

The very next week Mankind was teaming with Ahmed Johnson.

The Machines had some badass entrance music.

I didn't follow wrestling when the Machines were around but if I did when I was growing up, that music would have given me nightmares for some reason.

Guest Phineas4

Taker teamed with Vader and Mankind on Shotgun like you said. It was taped before Raw which was pretty damn confusing at the time. Nobody really knew why he was teaming with them in the arena.

Yeah, looked it up:

May 31st Shotgun:

Farooq, Savio Vega, & Crush defeated WWF World Champion the Undertaker, Vader, & Mankind (w/ Paul Bearer) when Farooq pinned Vader with a roll up.

The very next week Mankind was teaming with Ahmed Johnson.

It's interesting but Taker did quite a few jobs that year. He lost matches to Vader leading up to WM13, that match, and benefitted from interference in others.

Guest Bigelow34

It is the night after KOTR that he fires everyone and the week after that is when Kama and Ahmed join up.

Makes sense.

Gorilla and Slick really get into it during that main event on the Boston Garden show. Gorilla picking apart Slick's allegedly cheap wardrobe was the norm, but those two really hit below the beltway during their exchange. Gorilla sounded legitimately upset, even after the Slickster left.

I always loved it when it would appear someone would take Monsoon out of his comfort zone. I was watching the 3/88 Boston show and Outlaw Ron Bass really laid into him challenging him to enter the WMIV battle royal. Monsoon just abruptly ended the interview. IIRC, Terry Funk would also push his buttons during 1985-86 arena shows.

The kid with George Steele at the Boston show looked like he was having a hell of a time. And yeah, that was some kickass music for The Machines.

TNT really is an interesting show when it has a purpose. I enjoyed the NFL player interviews (though Bill Fralic's was really bad). That also reminded me that I should start the March to Mania pretty soon.

That's the thing about Steele. I don't think I've ever seen a good singles match with him involved, but people adored the guy. I can't bring myself to sit through many of his matches, but it's a nice change to see him get such crazy positive reactions from the crowds when so many faces of his time were bland as shit.

I watched the Hogan / Muraco cage match before it expired. Not the most exciting match and it has one of those weak 80s cage match endings where they don't bother having an elaborate ending, just Hogan walking out the door then punching Muraco when he tries to stop him. Not even a leg drop!

However, it was worth nothing that the cage appeared to be the prototype of the soon to be debuting blue bar cage - it was still chain link but all of the dividing support beams around it were painted sky blue.

I got all the updates this time. What's interesting is that the Muraco tag match that I got at the start of the month (but which is supposed to be new this week) just stuck around to take its rightful spot for this week's update. I wonder how much content the cable companies get in advance, b/c this proves that they don't get them right before they're supposed to go up. It also begs the question as to whether they hold on to the content for a while after something is supposed to have expired.

I was pleasantly surprised to see an actual match between Flair and Hall before the expected schmoz ending on Nitro.

I'm watching the 1997 MSG show right now - interesting (to a point) to see Austin's beerman and future timekeeper Mark Yeaton working as a referee. They also play the Sultan's music before his match actually ends.

For some reason I have only 3 categories on 24/7 right now, with no shorties at all. No new updates, and in fact it removed several of the current programs. Anyone else have this problem?

Guest heyguesswhatidid
For some reason I have only 3 categories on 24/7 right now, with no shorties at all. No new updates, and in fact it removed several of the current programs. Anyone else have this problem?

Reset your cable box, I've had this problem before.

Speaking of Santana and Savage, their first MSG match is going to air on 24/7 next month.

Is that the one where Tito had him in the Figure Four and Savage got DQ'ed by throwing the referee into him from the ground? If it is, then I remember watching that live as a kid.

okay, caught the Macho Man special this am...

Nobody does mysogny like Randy Savage...Jeff Jarrett, Scott Steiner and Test WISH they can be dickheads to women like Savage. I think what really helps is Elizabeth's lack of charisma (or is it acting ability?). She really comes across as a woman who is afraid her man is going to haul off and beat the shit out of her at any minute.

One of the best heels of all time, there's simply no denying the greatness that is Macho.

Macho Madness is more seductive than sex...indeed!

okay, caught the Macho Man special this am...

Nobody does mysogny like Randy Savage...Jeff Jarrett, Scott Steiner and Test WISH they can be dickheads to women like Savage. I think what really helps is Elizabeth's lack of charisma (or is it acting ability?). She really comes across as a woman who is afraid her man is going to haul off and beat the shit out of her at any minute.

One of the best heels of all time, there's simply no denying the greatness that is Macho.

Macho Madness is more seductive than sex...indeed!

I don't think it's acting ability. After listening to what people have said about that relationship, I think she was probably legitimately concerned Savage would do something like that.