TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Nightmare on Elm Street

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797980...yid=13&cs=1

New Line sets up new 'Nightmare'

Platinum Dunes to get Freddy ready for return

By MICHAEL FLEMING

Freddy Krueger is getting a wakeup call.

Platinum Dunes partners Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form have been set by New Line to relaunch the movie series centered on the iconic killer, who haunts the dreams of teenagers and kills them in their sleep.

The trio will create a new franchise based on Wes Craven’s 1984 film “A Nightmare on Elm Street.”

Originally played by Robert Englund, the Krueger character haunted nine films and two TV series in what was New Line’s most lucrative franchise until “The Lord of the Rings.”

Deal comes as Bay, Fuller and Form ready an early May start for “Friday the 13th,” New Line’s relaunch of another iconic baddie, Jason Voorhees. Marcus Nispel will direct from a script by Damian Shannon and Mark Swift (“Freddy vs. Jason”).

Both franchises will be given a complete overhaul, just as Platinum Dunes did with the Nispel-directed “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.” New Line won’t hire a writer on “Nightmare” until the writers strike ends.

At Rogue Pictures, the Platinum Dunes team is prepping an exorcism thriller to be directed by David Goyer and a “Near Dark” remake to be directed by Samuel Bayer. Bay, Fuller and Form are also developing a Universal remake of Alfred Hitchcock’s “The Birds,” with Martin Campbell directing Naomi Watts.

Seriously.. Was this really needed? Apparently Near Dark as well?!

I know I sound like a broken record with this, but FUCK REMAKES.

I don't CARE how "this generation" interprets classic horror flicks from the past. No one needs Michael Bay's take on Freddy Krueger!

GET YOUR OWN FUCKING IDEAS ALREADY! Christ... :throwup:

/rant

I will not accept anyone other than Robert Englund as Freddy. We all know how well things went when Vince Vaughn re-did Norman Bates.

Jason, who cares? He wears a mask. Hell, just get Andrew Byniarski...get him for every hulking, masked scary guy.

See I could be down with that rumored prequel.. with Englund as Krueger again.. but for me.. yes it's part that I'm pissed off that people have to mess with classics that don't need to be messed with.. but it also pisses me off that no one can be original, it seems. Seriously. Is it that hard to invent your own horror franchise? If it takes off - then great. If it sucks - well, maybe you need another line of work then! ;)

I will not accept anyone other than Robert Englund as Freddy. We all know how well things went when Vince Vaughn re-did Norman Bates.

Jason, who cares? He wears a mask. Hell, just get Andrew Byniarski...get him for every hulking, masked scary guy.

How do you even remake Friday the 13th with Jason anyway? He wasn't even in the first movie, heh.

at least of 6 the originals were pure crap anyway. I don't care if they redo it.

The first one was fucking great, held on with the second and then went to hell. There was another good one littered in there somewhere.

And New Nightmare was underrated. thats about it. I have no problem with redoing a shit series.

at least of 6 the originals were pure crap anyway. I don't care if they redo it.

The first one was fucking great, held on with the second and then went to hell. There was another good one littered in there somewhere.

And New Nightmare was underrated. thats about it. I have no problem with redoing a shit series.

oh man, Nightmare 2 was pure garbage...Nightmare 3 righted the ship...then yes, it went to shit afterwards.

I will agree with you that New Nightmare was pretty darn good, though.

Am I reading this correctly? Michael Bay is involved in remakes of Nightmare on Elm Street AND Friday the 13th?

Yes, tragically, that is correct. Because he did such a GREAT job with the two new Texas Chainsaw flicks, don't ya know.

I suppose these horror remakes actually make money, sadly enough. I mean, shit, how many have there been? Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Chainsaw prequel, The Hills Have Eyes, THHE 2, The Fog, Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, When a Stranger Calls, The Wicker Man... ugh... probably several more I'm forgetting. And exactly ONE of them, Dawn of the Dead, has been any good at all.

Fuck Michael Bay.

This really does not need to happen. Neither does Friday the 13th. As a 80s slasher film mark, this really pisses me off.

For the record, Nightmare II was a pile of toss. Nightmare 3 is almost as good as the first one. I even enjoyed 4,5 and 6.

Furthermore for the record, the press release is incorrect:

Originally played by Robert Englund, the Krueger character haunted nine films and two TV series in what was New Line’s most lucrative franchise until “The Lord of the Rings.”

Krueger haunted 8 films. Nightmare 1-5, Freddy's Dead, New Nightmare and Freddy vs Jason. Unless they count Freddy's apperance at the end of Jason goes to hell.

So what do you do every time something blatantly homosexual goes down?

Even aside from the fairly hilarious gay overtones, part 2 is just a bad movie. The way they tried to change the formula from the first one was lame; Freddy was a truly original bogeyman, killin' you in your sleep and all. In part 2 he did the same shit as a thousand other demons in a thousand movies about people getting possessed. Thankfully, part 3 did indeed right the ship and then some.

1, 3 & New Nightmare are my favourites as well - and sure enough, these were the three that Wes Craven had a hand in either writing, directing, or both.

HELL NO! :angry: Fuck You, Hollywood!

Michael Bay WISHES he could be like Robert Englund. How dare they disgrace Freddy Krueger like this. FUCK THEM!

I don't necessarily not like Part 2, there are a bunch of so bad it's funny moments, but I definately think that besides the references to part 1, Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2 could almost be a stand-alone flick because of the way it changes the formula and if you do view it as a stand alone flick, like maybe forget you ever saw the first one, then it doesn't come off as awful.

I enjoyed 3-6 and Freddy v. Jason was campy fun.

Hell, I own the box set complete with 3-D glasses!!!

As far as the remake goes, I am not sure why it is necessary considering sequels were still being made up to a few years ago with plenty of rumors of more coming. It's not like it is a series in stagnation that has not been heard from in a decade or so....

the biggest WTF GHEY moment in part 2 was high school aged Jesse somehow finding himself in a gay bar o all places which happened to be a hot spot of his gym teacher.

Assault on Precinct 13 was a horror flick?

HELL NO! :angry: Fuck You, Hollywood!

Michael Bay WISHES he could be like Robert Englund. How dare they disgrace Freddy Krueger like this. FUCK THEM!

I would actually go see this if Michael Bay were playing Freddy Krueger.

I just looked at the plots and apparently I saw 3 before I saw 2 and thought it was the second one. My fault. Yes...2 was ass.

They are getting way too lazy with remakes now. Let the movie age another 10 years if you gotta remake it. But fuck it, I won't see anyone but Robert as Freddy. Anyone can play Jason, Michael Meyers, or Leatherface. Wishmaster also went to hell after Divov (sp?) stopped doing the character

I was alright with Jason X until I watched it with the director commentary. The guy though the comedy in the movie was just the best stuff ever, when the jokes were the worst thing about the movie

*black guy gets stabbed through the wall*

"It's gonna take a lot more than that to stop me!"

*gets stabbed a seecond time*

"yep, that'll do it!"

*presumably dies*

I mean it doesn't get any better than that!

*black guy gets stabbed through the wall*

"It's gonna take a lot more than that to stop me!"

*gets stabbed a seecond time*

"yep, that'll do it!"

*presumably dies*

I mean it doesn't get any better than that!

That bugged me more than anything in the movie. Are you really going to give props to the guy that pretty much fucking kills you (which he didn't at the time, I know). Good use for your last breath, asshole.

I haven't really been outraged by most of these recent horror remakes but remaking Nightmare is a big mistake. As noted, it is the one slasher franchise that relies on an actor doing an actual role (Robert Englund) and not just some goon stuntman with a mask. The idea of a Freddy movie without Englund in it is pathetic.

I don't much care if they remake Friday the 13th. It's not like any of those are really GOOD movies to begin with. Entertaining crap perhaps, but not really good.

Remakes don't really bother me. It's always interesting to see someone elses take on a movie from the past. Just as long as they dont stray too much from the root story.

Nightmare on Elm Street 2 has it's moments, but Freddy's Dead is probably my favorite of the sequels. My favorite thing about Part 2 is the hilarious overacting from everyone, especially the Jessie character. My favorite line from the movie is:

*walks into the family's 98 degree living room*

"MY GOD.....it is hot......as an oven.......in here".

I'll be willing to give this remake a chance before passing judgement.

2 was my favorite when I was a little kid. I watched it a couple of years ago and was in shock about how bad it was. Personally I rank the series as 1, 3, 5, New Nightmare, 4, Freddy's Dead, and 2...not counting Freddy vs Jason

At this point, as much as I hate remakes, I just can't get upset anymore. It's going to happen anyways, and as much as I want to, I can't bring myself to get angry. Maybe because I usually avoid remakes. Hell, these movies are already been/going to be remade

Prom Night (It will be PG-13. How that is possible is beyond me)

Scanners

Motel Hell

My Bloody Valentne (no, not the original)

April Fool's Day

The Wolf Man (with Benicio Del Toro as the title character)

The Crazies (This is the only remake that actually has me interested. I like the original, but always felt that more could have been done with the concept)

The Birds

Blood the Last Vampire (Yes, it's a live action remake of an anime)

Suspiria (This will be remade as an anime)

Hellraiser

It's Alive

A Tale of Two Sisters

Sisters

That out of the way, I do agree that remakeing NOEM is a bad idea overall.