TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

Moments where titles were buried

Huh?

Chyna won the IC title at SummerSlam 2000 when she pinned Trish for the win in a tag team match with Eddie Guerrero against Trish and Val Venis with the IC title on the line. Val was champ.

Okay, I remember now. That also fits in with the whole "Singles title being defended in a tag team match" scenario that only luke-o and Russo enjoy. :lol:

HHH was the #1 contender when awarded the world title because he had beaten Taker in the week previous, so, why shouldn't he have the belt handed to him?

I know it was stupid. I'm not even saying that the belt should've been handed to him. I'm just saying that within the terms of what they had laid out, it makes some sense.

Oh, and this one goes out to TNA. You have a brand new set of tag titles with a fresh lineage. And what do you do? Make Samoa Joe the sole title holder, shortly followed by Kurt Angle? You've got to be shitting me.

HHH was the #1 contender when awarded the world title because he had beaten Taker in the week previous, so, why shouldn't he have the belt handed to him?

I know it was stupid. I'm not even saying that the belt should've been handed to him. I'm just saying that within the terms of what they had laid out, it makes some sense.

I'll vouch for that as well. He was at least #1 contender at the time, and it was better than some random joe being handed a new World Title. The SHOULD have had a tournament or something, but you take what you can get sometimes. They were going to make the IC title RAW's top belt, but HHH didn't want to defend the second-tier belt, so they had to come up with a new World Title after Brock became Smackdown-Exclusive.

How about the WCW World Title switching hands every week or so in 2000? There were more title changes before the big reset of 2000, than some titles experience in a year or more.

I might be mixing up some things but weren't Kaos and Judy Bagwell tag team champions with Rick Steiner in 98/99? I remember hating that. Oh and The steiners having to give back the tag titles to the Outsiders.

I didn't think the Steiners being forced to give up the titles was that bad, in terms of that feud. It's just that it was starting to get to the point where the nWo just ran roughshod over everyone after a while, and the WCW faces looked weak as a result.

I might be mixing up some things but weren't Kaos and Judy Bagwell tag team champions with Rick Steiner in 98/99? I

Ugh, Judy Bagwell... Somebody in creative should have lost their job for that one...

Also, Dean Malenko, after having decisively won his feud with Chris Jericho, relinquishing the Cruiserweight Championship "so he could get another match" with Jericho was fucking stupid.

Guest TheFabulousJakey
Granted, the Women's Title/Division has never been held in high esteem (possibly exception of 2002 - 2004) but in 1999 they could've had a decent if not so good Women's Division to build the title around: Jacqueline, Ivory, The Kat (Miss Kitty), Chyna, Luna Vachon, Sable if she stayed, and Tori.

The best thing they ever did for that title was putting it on Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley for five months. Having her parade it around while never defending it was what finally made the fans think of it as a championship, and Lita was way over at the time, making her title win all the more effective.

Then, of course, they put the belt on Ivory for WAY too long in the Right to Censor gimmick, and when she finally dropped it, it was to someone who didn't even want it in the first place and was gone two months later.

The thing about the HHH Title was that he later in the same night defeated Ric Flair (I think) to 'retain' the title - why not just make the match between them FOR it in the first place?

I know, right? As I recall, RVD was in the equation too, so they could have done a Triple Threat as well. The briefcase title win has to be among the dumbest things WWE Creative ever did, and that's saying a lot.

Chyna won the IC title at SummerSlam 2000 when she pinned Trish for the win in a tag team match with Eddie Guerrero against Trish and Val Venis with the IC title on the line. Val was champ.

Okay, I remember now. That also fits in with the whole "Singles title being defended in a tag team match" scenario that only luke-o and Russo enjoy.

This happened during the Kreski Era, though. I don't think it killed the belt since it set up the slow Eddie Guerrero heel turn (remember when they would do the "slow burn"? Happens so rarely these days), but I thought it was odd that they made the match first, and then a week later Foley added the title stipulation.

Not that the WWE Tag belts mean that much these days, but having DX kill the (champion) Spirit Squad over and over again, sometimes in 2-on-5 situations, certainly put the belts in the gutter.

Throw a question out there - Has Jeff Hardy's recent push helped or hindered the IC belt? He hasn't defended it on PPV for several months, and if he continues to hold it he probably won't at NWO (Elimination Chamber) or WM (Money in the bank likely) this year. Now, his profile has been raised no end, but it's not from thrilling title defenses, and even arguably his high points (pinning HHH, cage match against Umaga) were non-title from memory. While Jeff has looked great, the belt is viewed as a bit of an afterthought, and while it shouldn't be veiwed as equal to the World belt, having the holder only care about the World belt hurts it quite a bit IMO.

The IC belt is one of those situations where you can really tell the WWE is booked by committee. They go back and forth between really caring about it (having former main eventers and mega-over superstars like Hardy fight for it), and then not giving the tiniest shit about it (the belt hasn't been defended at all on the last three Wrestlemanias).

Not that the WWE Tag belts mean that much these days, but having DX kill the (champion) Spirit Squad over and over again, sometimes in 2-on-5 situations, certainly put the belts in the gutter.

I think the fact that 5 men held the tag team titles was what really put the belts in the gutter. The Spirit Squad convinced me to stop watching WWE in 2005.

The IC belt is one of those situations where you can really tell the WWE is booked by committee. They go back and forth between really caring about it (having former main eventers and mega-over superstars like Hardy fight for it), and then not giving the tiniest shit about it (the belt hasn't been defended at all on the last three Wrestlemanias).

Actually, it hasn't been defended at WM since '02 (RVD vs. Regal).

Bischoff handing HHH the world heavyweight title without him winning it in 2003. Oh man that pissed me off so much.

I was going to say that, but it was in 2002 I think. They at least coulda had a tournament for the thing.

That was the final nail in the coffin when I stopped watching wrestling.

I might be mixing up some things but weren't Kaos and Judy Bagwell tag team champions with Rick Steiner in 98/99? I remember hating that. Oh and The steiners having to give back the tag titles to the Outsiders.

How about when the entire faction of 3 Count was the Hardcore Champion(s)?

Does 2007's No Mercy count?

WWE title changes hands twice, is rewarded to Orton, 3 title defenses in one night.

Meanwhile, Cena held it for one whole year only to see it become a hot potato in one night.

Does 2007's No Mercy count?

WWE title changes hands twice, is rewarded to Orton, 3 title defenses in one night.

Meanwhile, Cena held it for one whole year only to see it become a hot potato in one night.

I don't think that it was much of a burial. If anything, it was a good thing, as it kept the PPV interesting.

This happened during the Kreski Era, though. I don't think it killed the belt since it set up the slow Eddie Guerrero heel turn (remember when they would do the "slow burn"? Happens so rarely these days), but I thought it was odd that they made the match first, and then a week later Foley added the title stipulation.

The angle wasn't bad, and looking at it purely from a storyline standpoint, putting Chyna over Trish made sense. It's just that prior to that the belt had really been picking up steam with Jericho, Angle, Benoit, and even Rikishi and Val having fairly strong runs with it. All of a sudden Chyna gets a joke run by beating a non-wrestler. As weak as that run was, Eddie looked pretty weak as well going over her in that manner (keep in mind I'm not shitting on the angle at all). From there, the belt took a back seat to the Eddie/Chyna break-up, and before he could do something meaningful with it, he jobbed it to a heatless Billy Gunn. It might be a little strong to call it a burial, but it started a downhill slope that outside of a couple of brief periods I don't think the belt's ever recovered from, which is a shame since it was always my favorite.

Looking back... putting the European Title on Davey Boy Smith essentially killed it right out of the gate too (and putting it on Owen wouldn't have been any better).

He was 1/2 of the Tag Team champions with Owen at the time and they were constantly having matches with teams like the Legion of Doom and later being apart of the whole Austin/Michaels vs. Hart Foundation feud so there were almost no title defenses by Davey Boy.

In all honesty, it probably could have been a bit more prestigious on a wrestler like Vader who could defend the title show after show while still being a decent name at the time.

Guest Yoouu'rree Fiiirrreed!&#

Godfather's Ho winning the Hardcore title on Raw...just kidding, that belt was a joke from day one.

Looking back... putting the European Title on Davey Boy Smith essentially killed it right out of the gate too (and putting it on Owen wouldn't have been any better).

He was 1/2 of the Tag Team champions with Owen at the time and they were constantly having matches with teams like the Legion of Doom and later being apart of the whole Austin/Michaels vs. Hart Foundation feud so there were almost no title defenses by Davey Boy.

Bulldog losing the title to HBK didn't help either, since HBK was the WWF champ, and he didn't seem to care about it.

Then, of course, he dropped it in a joke match to HHH...

Man, that belt was designed to fail.

Thing is, the Euro title at first had to go to the Bulldog. It was really the only acceptable tourney result. Unfortunately it was basically a vanity belt at that point.

Oh, and HBK wasn't the WWF champ when he beat Bulldog. In fact that was slightly before the HIAC match with UT.

Unfortunately it was basically a vanity belt at that point.

Hey, now. If it weren't for the European Championship, then I never would have had a chance to hear Al Snow's lyrics in the German language. :headbang:

And D'Lo claiming to be from a different European city every week? Say what you will about that title, but D'Lo's reign made it seem like it meant something.

Actually, I always thought the WCW World Championship started losing its luster when Hogan first one. Hogan would rarely ever defend the title and would go entire PPVs without defending it. He really rendered that title meaningless during his stints as World Champion.

Actually, I always thought the WCW World Championship started losing its luster when Hogan first one. Hogan would rarely ever defend the title and would go entire PPVs without defending it. He really rendered that title meaningless during his stints as World Champion.

Five months with zero title defenses. Not even at a house show.

I forgot WCW had a World Title in 1995.

Oh, and HBK wasn't the WWF champ when he beat Bulldog. In fact that was slightly before the HIAC match with UT.

Oh yeah.

I got confuzzled, but that HiaC was for a title shot if I recall, so he basically went right into world title contention and ignored it anyway.

Oh yeah.

I got confuzzled, but that HiaC was for a title shot if I recall, so he basically went right into world title contention and ignored it anyway.

That is correct. The HiaC was for the title shot.

D-Lo Brown as champ was fuckin awesome though. His animated face when he beat HHH for it?

Oh yeah, file that under "Things HHH wants you to forget".

The European title tournament final between Owen and DBS, Owen and Triple H's feud for the title and D Lo's reign were really the only memorable parts in the short history of the European title.