TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

Matches that shouldn't have been on free tv

So what are your matches that you think could've drawn a HUGE buyrate and should've never been given away on free tv.

It pretty much begins with Hogan vs. Goldberg in 1998 but here's a quick few that come to mind:

Shawn Michaels vs. RVD 2002

This match would've drawn on ppv in my opinion and it was their first ever match up.

Goldberg vs. Shawn Michaels 2003

The names alone would've drawn for this match, sad to see a lot of first matchups with HBK wasted on TV in 2002-03

Bret Hart vs. Ken Shamrock 1997

This would've fit on the cards perfectly behind HBK and Taker back in 1997.

nWo vs. Stone Cold and The Rock 2002

Oh man, this would've drawn in my opinion. The crowd was hot for the match but on a pay per view it would've drawn HUGE regardless if they had a 3rd man or not. It would be similar to the Bash at the Beach 6 man tag.

Those are just a quick few I can think of.

Got your picks?

That one Austin vs. Undertaker match on Raw in 1999, where Austin won the belt back. Yes, it drew a rating of fifty trillion viewers. But the PPVs both the month before and the month after that match both had Austin vs. Taker for their main events. And the match on free TV was the only one with a clean finish! If I'd bought those PPVs, I could imagine being pretty pissed off about that.

Every Iron Man match they've ever done on free TV. Why? Considering that you've got more time, more buildup, and no commercial breaks to interrupt, those hour-long matches should be PPV exclusives.

Hogan vs Bret Hart. This was on an episode of Nitro, circa '98. I know it was just a set-up for an angle, but it really should have main evented a PPV.

Actually, what Jingus just mentioned...the Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar Iron Man Match from like, 2003, would've been awesome on a PPV.

WCW did this shit all the time just to pad the ratings.

Hogan vs. Luger from the second Nitro.

The first Hogan vs. Sting match from 1995.

Hogan vs. Luger a week before they were supposed to main event Road Wild.

Hogan vs. Goldberg from 1998.

The first Nash vs. Hogan "match" that ended with a fingerpoke... actually that shouldn't have happened at all, period...

There are actually quite a few "other" matches...

Raw: Triple H vs. Big Show for the WWF Title in 2000. Yes, it helped start the Triple H "run" and Cactus/HHH feud starting at the Rumble but they could've built it up to the Rumble. Big Show dominating opponents like the giant he is while Triple H is also beating people left and right for his "rightful opportunity"

Raw: Tag Team Titles 1997 Owen/Bulldog vs. HBK/Austin. A great, great TV match but it could've been a very dependable #2 match or Main Event on a PPV during the time too.

Raw: WWF Title 1994 Bret Hart vs. 1-2-3 Kid. Could've easily been a main event for a show like King of the Ring as a 'respect' match.

1999 Raw was ripe with these... Triple H vs. Kane in a Steel Cage, Rock vs. Mankind on 02/15 in a Ladder Match, Steve Austin/Mankind vs. The Rock/Paul Wight on 03/15 in Big Show's wrestling debut.

Another small feud that could've gone somewhere PPV wise but didn't IIRC... the Val Venis run where he was facing The Rock and Mankind on Smackdowns. Could've served as a 3rd match on a stacked PPV or a #2 match on a smaller IYH.

1999 Raw was ripe with these... Rock vs. Mankind on 02/15 in a Ladder Match

I was in attendance for that match (Raw from Birmingham, Alabama). It was the first World Title change I ever got to see.

As one can tell from this list, the Monday Night Wars were littered with PPV quality matches on free television. The Steve Austin/Kane rematch the night after KOTR '98 could have been held to the July PPV, but again, it made for great television that night.

This one might be debatable but:

Ric Flair vs. Hulk Hogan Raw 2002 I believe it was for the Undisputed Title.

Could that have drawn some ppv buys in 2002?

Sorry but I don't really see Bret Hart Vs The 123 Kid as a PPV main event. The Kid never really rose above midcard status. It was a perfectly fine TV match.

Another one I just thought of Goldberg Vs Sting on a random Nitro in the Summer of '98. Also in a similar vein, Goldberg Vs Booker T for the WCW World title from the Summer of '00.

I'll agree with Goldberg/Hogan...however, some of the other matches mentioned, I can see why they did them on TV during the MNW era. Both companies were focused more on TV ratings than they were PPV buys. Now as far as giving the matches away for free anytime after 2001? Well there's just no excuse for that.

Sorry but I don't really see Bret Hart Vs The 123 Kid as a PPV main event. The Kid never really rose above midcard status. It was a perfectly fine TV match.

Another one I just thought of Goldberg Vs Sting on a random Nitro in the Summer of '98. Also in a similar vein, Goldberg Vs Booker T for the WCW World title from the Summer of '00.

Didnt Bret defend againts Hakushi in a PPV main event though...

Didnt Bret defend againts Hakushi in a PPV main event though...

Bret faught Hakushi in an undercard match at one of the In Your House PPVs in '95.

Another small feud that could've gone somewhere PPV wise but didn't IIRC... the Val Venis run where he was facing The Rock and Mankind on Smackdowns. Could've served as a 3rd match on a stacked PPV or a #2 match on a smaller IYH.

No Mercy 1999, Val Venis fought Mankind.

There was a Austin/Rock versus Jericho/Angle match on SmackDown! in late 2001 that could have main evented a PPV like a No Way Out but they did it on free tv.

You had to give props to the WWF in 1995 when Nitro debuted. They were debating about doing Diesel/Undertaker and Hart/Michaels on Raw to compete with Nitro, but instead they stuck to their guns and saved it for Mania 12.

There was a Austin/Rock versus Jericho/Angle match on SmackDown! in late 2001 that could have main evented a PPV like a No Way Out but they did it on free tv.

You had to give props to the WWF in 1995 when Nitro debuted. They were debating about doing Diesel/Undertaker and Hart/Michaels on Raw to compete with Nitro, but instead they stuck to their guns and saved it for Mania 12.

Austin/HHH vs. Benoit/Jericho could have easily main evented a PPV.

Austin/HHH vs. Benoit/Jericho could have easily main evented a PPV.

Put them in the main event of Backlash or Judgment Day instead of Taker and Kane and we have a winner.

All the FREE Jericho vs. Austin and Benoit vs. Austin matches in 2001 were also stupid and could've easily main evented a pre invastion WWF pay per view. If only the Benoit vs. Austin Edmonton match was on a pay per view, at least we would have a copy of that today, instead of being LOST FOREVER.

Another one that came to mind:

Kurt Angle vs. Booker T WCW Title

This was another big match with a "WWF" guy winning the WCW title. One of my favorite smackdown moments.

No, I don't think it would. As I recall, Hogan and Flair walked around each other for a few minutes and that was about that. Painful. Hogan was booked terribly for his reign, and they wonder why it flopped so badly.

Didn't they do Sting vs Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle vs AJ Styles on Impact? That was pretty pointless since Impact can only get a 1.1

I think any time they do a TLC match on free TV it's a bit silly. The Jericho/Benoit TLC match (#3) was a good match but a bit wasted just being on a SD show. And I praised TLC 4 to high heaven on the Jan. 24/7 thread...that was just a jaw dropping match.

Didn't they do Sting vs Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle vs AJ Styles on Impact? That was pretty pointless since Impact can only get a 1.1

I think you could put alot of TNA matches from Impact that shouldnt have been on free TV

No, I don't think it would. As I recall, Hogan and Flair walked around each other for a few minutes and that was about that. Painful. Hogan was booked terribly for his reign, and they wonder why it flopped so badly.

Hogan's reign being terrible was down to the fact that it was purely a nostalgia deal that had no legs once he actually won the belt. Even the best booking in the world can't overcome the fact that nostalgia in wrestling has a very short shelf life when it comes to being able to draw with it.

Guest Yoouu'rree Fiiirrreed!&#

The Big Show and The Undertaker vs. The Rock N Sock Connection in a Buried Alive match on Smackdown 1999

Mysterio Vs. Undertaker - SD 2003

Goldberg Vs. Kane - would've been a perfect main event for Armageddon 2003 instead of the lame Triple Threat Match we got.

You Know Who Vs. Michaels - should've gotten it at Backlash 2004 instead of the title match on RAW

Angle Vs. Orton - SD 2006, they should have saved the first encounter for Vengeance instead. By the time, the 3rd match did get to the PPV, I was already bored of it.

Angle Vs. Sting - TNA Impact, their first encounter should have been Bound for Glory

Spoiler for Next Weeks Raw

They are doing HBK vs Jeff Hardy which actually could've been a great Wrestlemania match.