TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2008

JBL did a great job inducting The Brisco Brothers and JR inducted Solie (two of his sons accepted while the other 3 of his children were on stage). Mae is up now and then it's just Eddie Graham left with the rest on TV.

Because it's the WWE Hall of Fame, not the Dave Meltzer hall of fame.

Or because a limo driver and Pete Rose are it, while Bruno Sammartino and Bob Backlund aren't.

Over the past few years, the WWE HoF has become more industry wide rather than WWE orientated, which makes it seem more credible. While criticism has died down over the years, and rightfully so, it's still a HoF that counts a limo driver and Pete Rose as members, when people who have made far greater contributions to the company still aren't invited.

Not that James Dudley is incredibly deserving, but isn't that a bit of a harsh description?

Or because a limo driver and Pete Rose are it, while Bruno Sammartino and Bob Backlund aren't.

Over the past few years, the WWE HoF has become more industry wide rather than WWE orientated, which makes it seem more credible. While criticism has died down over the years, and rightfully so, it's still a HoF that counts a limo driver and Pete Rose as members, when people who have made far greater contributions to the company still aren't invited.

The Celeb inductions were tack-ons to make it more fun. Sure they hinder it a bit, but they shouldn't be taken seriously, especially when they occurred when there were several other big name inductions on the bill in those years.

As for James Dudley. Doesn't matter whether I disagree with it or not. He started out as a limo driver, yeah, but that's not the reasoning for his induction. I'd wager that just because his name means nothing to fans, doesn't mean it also means nothing to those who're involved with the business.

..and why would Bruno be inducted? There's never going to be a resolution there and even if he was approached, he'd probably refuse.

..and why would Bruno be inducted? There's never going to be a resolution there and even if he was approached, he'd probably refuse.

Why should Bruno be inducted? Maybe because he was one of the best babyfaces the company had, was champion for eight years, and has sold out MSG a near-record number of times. If Bruno is going to refuse, that's his choice. But it would add a ton of credibility to the HoF to have Bruno inducted. If Bruno doesn't want to appear, fine. Induct him anyway, give him a nice speech and presentation, and let the choice be Bruno's as to whether he appears. It might make WWE look like the bigger people if they're willing to do all that for someone they admittedly have no love for.

But did you know that for a time, he also worked with Mike and Gene LeBell's NWA Hollywood Wrestling in the '70s? He won a greater share of matches wrestling as 'Arabian Wildman' Java Ruuk and even won the promotion's battle royal in 1976.

First off, it's not like the WWE hasn't reached out to Backlund or Sammartino. It's their choice that they are not in the Hall. I can't blame WWE for that, although having not having them in there is disappointing.

Secondly, why is it that whenever someone brings up the crediblity of the Hall of Fame, they must alway bring up the 'limo driver' without mentioning that's how he broke into the business. Just saying 'limo driver' without stating his future accoplishments, is misleading, dude.

Thirdly, I agree with you that having Pete Rose and The Fridge in the Hall is cheesy/"gimmicky".

But did you know that for a time, he also worked with Mike and Gene LeBell's NWA Hollywood Wrestling in the '70s? He won a greater share of matches wrestling as 'Arabian Wildman' Java Ruuk and even won the promotion's battle royal in 1976.

His wiki page is littered with reasons that he belongs in the hall.

He appeared on Impact. Good enough for me.

Maybe someone following March Madness can clue me in - The Score was showing the end of a game instead of the HOF at 11pm (and since the game was on network TV, them showing it pretty pointless). Now that it's over, they're showing SmackDown instead of the HOF, I think because SmackDown was supposed to be on at 9. So my question - why would The Score promise they were showing the Hall at 11pm if a basketball game was on? Was there some length issue with today's games the networks didn't forsee?

This is pretty annoying.

Re-Edit: Right the first time. Their schedule said SD was 9-11 with the HOF from 11-12. What gives?

I think it was really a smart thing for The Rock to do his usual schtick off the bat so the fans mark out early and will be quiet for the inductions. Plus, it's what the fans have really wanted to see.