TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

Mysterio to have surgery, out 4-6 months

Jason Powell of Pro Wrestling Torch is reporting that Rey Mysterio has opted to have surgery to repair his torn right biceps that he suffered during a Smackdown tour of South America last week. The procedure will be performed by Dr. James Andrews on Friday morning.

The surgery, of course, derails the reported Rey Mysterio & Floyd Mayweather vs. Big Show & Shane McMahon match for WrestleMania 24. WWE will go forward with the Show/Mayweather angle and come up with another WM24 plan.

The decision was said to be a tough one for Mysterio because he did not want to miss a second consecutive WrestleMania and he knew how important the match was going to be in the advertising. He has been assured that he will still be involved in the angle in some capacity.

Mysterio sat out from November 2006 to August 2007 recovering from major knee surgery. The fact that he has suffered another injury that will require 4-6 months of recovery less than a year after coming back from a 9-month recovery from knee surgery along with his age creeping to the mid-30s (Rey turned 33 in December), you have to wonder how much more Rey's body can tolerate.

I enjoy watching Rey, and think he's one of the best Cruiserweights out there. However, he needs to seriously consider hanging it up. His body has obviously hit it's peak.

Christ, he wasn't even back for an entire year before getting injured yet again.

At least him and Edge have something in common.

I think Rey should definately consider hanging it up. The guy is getting hurt too often now, and coupled with his style and how long he's been wrestling it might be time now to move on. He shouldn't allow himself become like all of these old timers that can barely walk or are in pain all day every day. That's no way to live.

I don't know if it was as early as 13, but I remember when he was in ECW Joey Styles said that once when he was 16 they had to sneak him into a bar so that he could wrestle because he was to young to be in there.

Guest dustinbeaverton

I say, after the injury, he feuds with Chavo or Punk (or anyone with some in-ring talent) over the ECW Title, then starts a feud with another person of talent, drops the title to the new person, and then retires... restoring some dignity to the ECW Title and to his career. Eh?

I think it's funny how nobody mentioned steroids in regards to the injury to Mysterio. It's always "mysterio has been wrestling for so long, and his age is catching up to him etc." but if that was HHH or Batista or anyone else roids would be the main topic of conversation. Just some food for thought.

I think it's funny how nobody mentioned steroids in regards to the injury to Mysterio. It's always "mysterio has been wrestling for so long, and his age is catching up to him etc." but if that was HHH or Batista or anyone else roids would be the main topic of conversation. Just some food for thought.

I just thought it was so obvious that it didn't even need to be discussed.

I just thought it was so obvious that it didn't even need to be discussed.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking too.

I think Vince will lose a lot of faith in him. You simply can't give a major push to a guy who's on the shelf so often.
Same could be said for Taker, HBK, and Batista.

Taker and Shawn have been with WWE for 15+years, they earned the trust in McMahon to get main event pushes. Hunter has no distractors. Batista will have McMahon's faith simply for his size. It's Edge keeping his top spot despite more injuries then almost everyone on the roster with the exception of Mysterio that's the real noteworthy example. It's a testament to Edge's ability as the top heel in the company. Otherwise, Edge would be stuck in middle of the pack.

The only reason his age is brought up is simply to talk about how much more his body can take. Nobody said anything about age causing his injuries. It's pretty obvious he's been on the gas. Quad tears and bicep tears are total steroid injuries.

Rey was 20 when he started working for ECW and 21 when he started working for WCW.

I meant when he started wrestling and he wrestled way before ECW. And Wiki said he was 14.

I'm trying to find an old Rey pic to compare his size, but I can't find any.

Heres one of him in WCW.

1334542.jpg

Yeah that seems to be a more or less accurate description.

Gayer than this Rey Mysterio?

filthyanimalsreymysteriobillykidman.jpg

Touche,

anyhow this sucks for him. At least with Rey and Shanes involvment, we would have had a fun mania match, now watch for the trainwreck of Mayweather vs Show (at least as boring as Show/Akebono from Wm 21)

but wwe should still get some publicity out of it.

Mayweather and Big Show can't work a real match. But the idea of a 450 lb. wrestler battling a 150 lb. boxer is intriguing, if nothing else. And remember Chuck Wepner vs. Andre the Giant wasn't exactly competitive either. Still made great spectacle.