TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops: 3/1/08 - 3/16/08

OSVSZJVBTKKKUPX.20080316200129.jpg

WE COMIN FOR YOU JAYHAWKS

Is that little white dude next to the coach, Jason Schwartzmen? I always knew Max Fischer could ball.

And Nate's recent string of posts here are early contenders for Worst Post(s) of the year in this folder. The Hurricane Nate one is my favorite at this point in the game

Here are my so called "idiotic ramblings" for the tourney. My FF is UNC, Kansas, Texas, and UCLA. In the regional finals I have UNC/U of L, Kansas vs. Gonzaga (which is my one Cinderella), Texas over Memphis, and UCLA over Duke. It's quite possible I'll end up wrong but it just looks like there's a pretty clear cut upper echelon and once you get past that there aren't that many contenders.

As far as the contingency plan of UK and WKU, I do have both winning 1 game but that's all. I got to that Drake/WKU game and it was a real tough call but then noticed I didn't have a 5/12 upset, so I went with WKU. I picked UK to win since I can't recall a time when UK was out 1st round, I think the last time was like 1982. And of course those on here know I have an intense dislike for Marquette, so I am NOT picking them to win anything.

I don't see why it's absurd to put U of L in the Elite 8 though. I have Tennessee losing 2nd round to Butler. Bear in mind Butler beat their asses in the preseason NIT last year.

What's odd is that there are some teams that I haven't liked this year at all yet I have them going to the Sweet 16. I have thought Stanford was a 2nd round upset waiting to happen, but once I had UK over Marquette I figured Stanford would beat UK pretty easy. Purdue was a team I was dying to put as a 1st round upset, yet I didn't even think Baylor would make the tourney. Add to that I had UGA over Xavier as my yearly 3/14 upset and thus I ended up with Purdue in the Sweet 16 by default.

That said, there are some I haven't liked that are still going down in my bracket. As much as I've ranted on Georgetown there's no way I could have them going far, thus I have them out 2nd round to Gonzaga. Lot of people are picking Davidson, but for whatever reason that seems like a sucker bet to me. Davidson has played some teams tough but have they really beaten anyone good? Also, I still have nightmares about Wisconsin in the 2000 FF, so the sooner they are out the better. I have them losing to Kansas St. with Beasley going off on them.

Anyway, in the final I have UNC vs. Texas, with Texas winning it all. I like Texas' draw this year, since they would go through Houston and then San Antonio.

Yeah, it's called the automatic bid rule. It's been around for awhile.

well yea, my whole point is Georgia was not even on the bubble, and suddenly getting to the finals of the SEC tourney somehow got them a spot, when they have not done squat all season, other then that I really have no issue with the way things came together

THEY WON THE TOURNAMENT

THE POINT OF THE TOURNAMENT IS TO WIN AN AUTOMATIC BERTH

YOU CANNOT EAT A PURSE

A PURSE IS NOT FOOD

What if it's a chocolate purse?

So um this College Basketball Invitational thing isn't going so well. There were supposed to announce the 16 team field tonight but too many schools are turning them down so they've had to postpone the announcement until morning. The tournament is supposed to tip off on Tuesday. I'm sure Oregon State would listen if they called.

Re: Georgia. I remember my sports econ professor telling me about how, while they certainly won't admit it, conference powers-that-be actually want their crappy teams to win the conference tourney, because that's one extra team that would make the tourney and bring more conference money, since the top teams would already have their tickets punched anyway

So um this College Basketball Invitational thing isn't going so well. There were supposed to announce the 16 team field tonight but too many schools are turning them down so they've had to postpone the announcement until morning. The tournament is supposed to tip off on Tuesday. I'm sure Oregon State would listen if they called.

Virginia is in! We'll take that title of 106th best team in the country yet! The totally awesome bracket is here. This actually would have been a pretty good little tourney if these were last year's teams.

Tuesday, March 18

Richmond at Virginia - 7 p.m.

Houston at Nevada - 9 p.m.

Brown at Ohio - TBA

Rider at Old Dominion - TBA

Wednesday, March 19

Cincinnati at Bradley - 7 p.m.

Valparaiso at Washington - 9 p.m.

Miami (Ohio) at Tulsa - TBA

Utah at UTEP - TBA

Butler ain't beating Tennessee. Maybe if UT was overlooking people they could, but, after watching Pearl's press conference, they are Pissed Off of about not getting that #1 they deserved. American better be prepared to get 135 hung on their ass in the first round.

Yeah, it's called the automatic bid rule. It's been around for awhile.

well yea, my whole point is Georgia was not even on the bubble, and suddenly getting to the finals of the SEC tourney somehow got them a spot, when they have not done squat all season, other then that I really have no issue with the way things came together

THEY WON THE TOURNAMENT

THE POINT OF THE TOURNAMENT IS TO WIN AN AUTOMATIC BERTH

YOU CANNOT EAT A PURSE

A PURSE IS NOT FOOD

I didnt realize Georgia won the SEC, I thought Arkansas had won and they were being real generous and gave Georgia an at large bid

Anklelock, let me point out one thing about Tennessee here. It seems to me whenever a coach or team whines about their seed, that team is destined to lose early. See Gonzaga in 2002 for the prime example.

Couple of other random notes: What is with the seeding of Oklahoma in this bracket? Can anyone possibly explain how these guys got a 6, while Butler and IU got a 7 and 8? I know IU tanked a bit after the Sampson debacle, but they've still accomplished more than OU. Further, with U of L as the 3 in that region why on earth would they not put IU as the 6 (which is more indicative of their ranking and RPI) and hope for a U of L vs. IU 2nd round game? It seems like going out of your way to set up heatless matchups. OU just sorta seems like that 8/9 type team, playing Arkansas would make sense.

Also, to further the notion that Davidson is a sucker bet I took a look at their results. Most people picking them to do serious damage cite the close losses they had vs. UNC and Duke. Thing is, Davidson hasn't beaten ANYONE all year. Sure, they won 23 straight games...against teams in the 200s in the RPI. The best win Davidson has had all year was over #109 Winthrop.

You really can't go one single post without bringing up Louisville (not U of L), can you? You could have make your point without including them. Indiana-Louisville is no more or less appealing across the country then Oklahoma/Louisville would be.

Butler got a 7 because, better record aside, last year's 4-seed had much higher profile wins to start the season (Indiana, Tennessee, Gonzaga foremost among them), even if this team might be a little better. Indiana got an 8-seed because no one seriously thinks they're going anywhere after the disaster that was the second half of this season. And Oklahoma got a 6 seed so we'd all have a reasonable 6/11 or 5/12 upset to pick.

There's nothing about Butler that would suggest a 7 seed though. Not their national ranking, RPI, etc. At worst they should have been a 5 seed like last year. The positive thing for them though is that I haven't heard anyone in the program whine about the seed. I'd be more inclined to pick South Alabama in that game (in Birmingham) if they hadn't just lost in Mobile to Middle TN.

For some reason I'm not thrilled with some of my FF picks. UNC is an obvious pick since they basically get to play at home, I am fine with my pick of Texas (they would get to play in Houston and San Antonio), but Kansas and UCLA worry me. Quite a few experts are picking UCLA despite them only scoring about 74 points a game, which is low for a national champion in the 3 point era. Though I have them in the FF, I can see UConn or someone upsetting them. Thing is, that West bracket is such dreck that there was no one in particular I felt had a good shot vs. UCLA.

Kansas? Let's face it, they are always an iffy bet...the only variable is the round that the tankjob comes in. Their biggest problem I think is in the Sweet 16 round against either Vandy or Clemson. Of course Vandy has been bleh away from home, but at least they have a star player in Shan Foster, and at least can do basic stuff like make FTs (which worries me with Clemson). I didn't pick either team to upset Kansas, but it wouldn't shock me if it happened.