TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops: 3/1/08 - 3/16/08

Well, here we are folks. Leap Year gave us one more day of February, and now that it is over. It is now March, and that only means one thing.

March Madness.

That's right. We are two short weeks away from knowing who will dance, and who will go home. But first, we must deal with probably the most hair pulling part of the process...

And that's getting there.

With only two more weekends to the regular season (with some conferences playing their final regular season games, this weekend), the bubble race is getting tighter and tighter. And while some teams have helped their causes, nowhere near enough have. So now we have one of the most crowded bubbles, ever. With only 12 or so spots, not spoken for, and arguments that could be made for over 30 teams, the next two weeks will decide everything.

With that said, on with the show.

My alma mater, Cornell, is set to be the first team to clinch an NCAA tournament bid. They are up 3 games with 3 to play so it's all but locked up.

My other alma mater, UNC, is getting housed today. They're down 14 at half time to BC on the strength of Tyrese Rice's 34 first half points. Yikes. I just turned in so I missed a show it seems.

It is official: I am sick of fucking Georgetown. Marquette's James actually fouled Wallace on a 3 attempt today with 2.8 left...up 3. Of course he hits all 3, game goes to OT, G'Town wins. I guess if U of L wants G'Town's ass kicked, they'll have to kick it.

It is official: I am sick of fucking Georgetown. Marquette's James actually fouled Wallace on a 3 attempt today with 2.8 left...up 3. Of course he hits all 3, game goes to OT, G'Town wins. I guess if U of L wants G'Town's ass kicked, they'll have to kick it.

You do realize, that Louisville is more than likely getting an asswhupping next Saturday, right?

Syracuse just horrible, HORRIBLE ending yesterday. The thing is, with the way bubble teams are not distinguishing themselves, they still have a decent shot.

Teams that I think put themselves in the past three days: USC, Mississippi State, Arizona State, Pittsburgh

Biggest game of the day will be UCLA at Arizona. Zona probably cements their status with a win, but I think UCLA is too talented and deep.

What is this theory of an upcoming G'Town assbeating of U of L based on? Their stellar play in the first meeting? Their overall conf. play of getting every call known to man and all the luck in the world? It doesn't even matter if they bullshit their way past U of L next week.....U of L is a better team that Georgetown this year and once the Hoyas get into the NCAA tourney they won't make it past the 2nd round. Both teams are 14-3 in the Big East; U of L could be more like 15-1, Georgetown should be more like 11-6.

TV Schedule for the Week of 3/3 - 3/9

MONDAY

Pittsburgh at West Virginia, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Texas Tech at #5 Kansas, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Santa Clara at #22 Gonzaga, 11:30/8:30 PM, ESPN2

TUESDAY

#15 Purdue at Ohio State, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Miami of Ohio at Kent State, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Arkansas at Mississippi, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

WEDNESDAY

#6 Duke at Virginia, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Syracuse at Seton Hall, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Texas A&M at Baylor, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

#13 Connecticut at Providence, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

#24 Clemson at Georgia Tech, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

#8 Xavier at St. Joseph's, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

#17 Michigan State at Illinois, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

#7 Stanford at #3 UCLA, 11:00/8:00 PM, FSN

SATURDAY

Big South Conference Championship, 11:30/8:30 AM, ESPN2

#12 Louisville at #11 Georgetown, Noon/9:00 AM, CBS

#5 Kansas at Texas A&M, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, CBS*

#7 Stanford at USC, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, CBS*

Missouri at Oklahoma, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

Georgia Tech at Boston College, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

California at #3 UCLA, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

#21 Marquette at Syracuse, 4:00/1:00 PM, ESPN

Utah at UNLV, 4:00/1:00 PM, Versus

Ohio Valley Conference Championship, 5:00/2:00 PM, ESPN2

Atlantic Sun Conference Championship, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

#1 North Carolina at #6 Duke, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Arizona at Oregon, 10:30/7:30 PM, FSN

SUNDAY

Florida at Kentucky, Noon/9:00 AM, CBS

Missouri Valley Conference Championship, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, CBS

#18 Indiana at Penn State, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN

#15 Purdue at Michigan, 4:00/1:00 PM, CBS

Oklahoma State at #9 Texas, 4:00/1:00 PM, ESPN

Maryland at Virginia, 7:30/4:30 PM, FSN

West Coast Conference Semi-Final #1, 9:30/6:30 PM, ESPN2

West Coast Conference Semi-Final #2, 11:30/8:30 PM, ESPN2

What is this theory of an upcoming G'Town assbeating of U of L based on? Their stellar play in the first meeting? Their overall conf. play of getting every call known to man and all the luck in the world? It doesn't even matter if they bullshit their way past U of L next week.....U of L is a better team that Georgetown this year and once the Hoyas get into the NCAA tourney they won't make it past the 2nd round. Both teams are 14-3 in the Big East; U of L could be more like 15-1, Georgetown should be more like 11-6.

Well, I was basing it on these things.

1) Georgetown wanting revenge for the beating they got at Freedom Hall.

2) The Big East being the Big East, and how hard it is to win on the road, against a Top 12 Team (Hell, even DePaul is not an easy trip.)

As far as the BS Calls go. If you're talking about the West Virginia game, I'll be the first to admit, that call could've gone either way. From afar it looks like Goaltending. Up close, it looks like a perfect block, right at the apex. In all honesty, I wouldn't know what to call it. Huggins had a right to be upset, but to say that the Refs handed the Hoyas the game, is not true.

Now for the Villanova game....no argument there. It should've went to overtime, easily. But like with the UNC game that Villanova was screwed out of, we have no idea how overtime would've went.

I'm just curious as to what other game (or games) did the refs "hand" to the Hoyas?

As for Georgetown losing in the 2nd Round. Not Bloody Likely. I have both Louisville and the Hoyas on my short list of Final Four contenders.

And Louisville gets to make its case on Saturday. If they win. I'll admit I was wrong and that Louisville is better team. Otherwise, you may have to wait to March 15th to see if Louisville proves their superiority to The Hoyas.

Bracket Project Update

Last Eight In

UAB

Florida

St. Joseph's

Kentucky

Illinois State

Maryland

Massachusetts

Arizona State

Last Eight Out

New Mexico

Villanova

Virginia Tech

Southern Illinois

Syracuse

Western Kentucky

Ohio State

Oregon

Are you a Duke fan Cowboy?

As a former Tarheel I don't want to have to hate you if the answer is yes.

I knew U of L had no shot today, but I can't even say we got fucked over considering we had 18 FTs to G'Town's 4 attempts. You can't win games only going 10/18 at the line though! Dammit my guys suck at the line. If U of L plays Memphis in the tourney it would be such a brickfest it would be unwatchable.

That said, there was nothing I saw in Georgetown today that shows me they aren't a 2nd round upset waiting to happen. They are total bullshit, a fraud league champion. Yes, they went 15-3 in the Big East, but it's such a bogus 15-3 with garbage wins, fluke luck, screwjob refs, etc. The WVU game, Marquette, Villanova, Hibbert hitting a 3 to beat UConn, the 2 pt. win over Syracuse. Mark my words, once Georgetown gets to the NCAA tourney and doesn't have the Big East refs they are so losing to a 7/10 seed.

I knew U of L had no shot today, but I can't even say we got fucked over considering we had 18 FTs to G'Town's 4 attempts. You can't win games only going 10/18 at the line though! Dammit my guys suck at the line. If U of L plays Memphis in the tourney it would be such a brickfest it would be unwatchable.

That said, there was nothing I saw in Georgetown today that shows me they aren't a 2nd round upset waiting to happen. They are total bullshit, a fraud league champion. Yes, they went 15-3 in the Big East, but it's such a bogus 15-3 with garbage wins, fluke luck, screwjob refs, etc. The WVU game, Marquette, Villanova, Hibbert hitting a 3 to beat UConn, the 2 pt. win over Syracuse. Mark my words, once Georgetown gets to the NCAA tourney and doesn't have the Big East refs they are so losing to a 7/10 seed.

Shut the hell up, and stop whining like a little bitch already. Your team lost fair in square today and there was no ref biased. You don't go 15-3 in perhaps the toughest conference in the nation by fluke.

The answer is indeed yes.

You're going down on Saturday.

What happened?

Don't worry - no shame in losing to the best team in the nation. North Carolina playing D = trouble for everyone else.

Danny Green was a beast last night. Knocking down all the big shots, blocking 7 Duke shots, and posterizing the hell out of Greg Paulus.

If anyone stumbles across an image of him immortalizing Paulus as a punk please post it here.

What happened?

Don't worry - no shame in losing to the best team in the nation. North Carolina playing D = trouble for everyone else.

Danny Green was a beast last night. Knocking down all the big shots, blocking 7 Duke shots, and posterizing the hell out of Greg Paulus.

If anyone stumbles across an image of him immortalizing Paulus as a punk please post it here.

I loved it.....Greg Paulus was all pumped up after hitting a three, and then Green comes back and teabags him. Then Green on his way back was saying some thing like "Get the fuck outta here". THAT'S how you respond

What happened?

I was ready to fucking stab somebody last night.

That shit was bullshit. I'm sick of mildly unstable t not getting called for SHIT in the paint.

Big wins by both Kentucky and Ohio State in the nooner games.

I would be shocked if Kentucky does not get in now. Ohio State, I would not say they have work to do, because I think they could lose to MSU on Friday and still get in based on what other teams may do in conference tourneys.

VCU, the #1 seed in the Colonial Athletic Association lost to William & Mary in the CAA semifinals. They will be on the bubble, and a loss before the CAA Finals may hurt them.

VCU, the #1 seed in the Colonial Athletic Association lost to William & Mary in the CAA semifinals. They will be on the bubble, and a loss before the CAA Finals may hurt them.

VCU is most likely dead in the water at this point. They have no Top 50 Wins, RPI wise. Which in turn equals to no Marquee Wins.

Not just that, they have 4 Sub 100 Losses, RPI wise (with one being in the sub 200's, as well.)

This team is NIT bound, sadly.

That's not even the worst news of the day. The Robert Morris Colonials lost their NEC semi-final game, too. Despite winning 26 Games this year, they're NIT bound.

Thank God we have conference tournaments to ruin a season of hard work and help weaker teams qualify for the national tournament. What would we do without them?

TV Schedule for the Week of 3/10 - 3/16

MONDAY

CAA Championship: William & Mary vs. George Mason, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

MAAC Championship: Rider vs. Siena, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

WCC Championship: Gonzaga vs. San Diego, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Southern Championship: Elon vs. Davidson, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

TUESDAY

Summit League Championship, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Horizon League Championship: Cleveland State vs. Butler, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Sun Belt Championship, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

WEDNESDAY

Big East First Round: Syracuse vs. Villanova, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Big East First Round: West Virginia vs. Providence, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN

Big East First Round: Pittsburgh vs. Cincinnati, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

NEC Championship, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Big East First Round: Marquette vs. Seton Hall, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Big Sky Championship, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

Pac-10 First Round: Washington vs. California, 9:00/6:00 PM, FSN

Pac-10 First Round: Arizona vs. Oregon State, 11:00/8:00 PM, FSN

THURSDAY

Big East Quarterfinals: Georgetown vs. TBD, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Big XII First Round: Nebraska vs. Texas Tech, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, ESPN2

Big East Quarterfinals: Connecticut vs. TBD, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN

Big Ten First Round: Penn State vs. Illinois, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, ESPN2

Pac-10 Quarterfinals: USC vs. Arizona State, 3:00 PM/Noon, FSN

Big Ten First Round: Minnesota vs. Northwestern, 4:30/1:30 PM, ESPN2

Pac-10 Quarterfinals: UCLA vs. TBD, 5:30/2:30 PM, FSN

Big East Quarterfinals: Louisville vs. TBD, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

ACC First Round: Georgia Tech vs. Virginia, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Big East Quarterfinals: Notre Dame vs. TBD, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Pac-10 Quarterfinals: Washington State vs. Oregon, 9:00/6:00 PM, FSN

Big XII First Round: Texas A&M vs. Iowa State, 9:30/6:30 PM, ESPN2

Pac-10 Quarterfinals: Stanford vs. TBD, 11:30/8:30 PM, FSN

FRIDAY

Big Ten Quarterfinals: Wisconsin vs. TBD, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

ACC Quarterfinals: North Carolina vs. TBD, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

ACC Quarterfinals: Virginia Tech vs. TBD, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN2

Big Ten Quarterfinals: Michigan State vs. Ohio State, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, ESPN

Patriot League Championship: Colgate vs. American, 4:30/1:30 PM, ESPN2

Big East Semi-Final #1, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

ACC Quarterfinals: Duke vs. TBD, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Big East Semi-Final #2, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

ACC Quarterfinals: Clemson vs. TBD, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

Pac-10 Semi-Final #1: 9:00/6:00 PM, FSN

Pac-10 Semi-Final #2: 11:30/8:30 PM, FSN

SATURDAY

Conference USA Championship, 11:30/8:30 AM, CBS

American East Championship: Hartford vs. Maryland-Baltimore, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

Big Ten Semi-Final #1, 1:30 PM/10:30 AM, CBS

ACC Semi-Final #1, 1:30 PM/10:30 AM, ESPN

Big XII Semi-Final #1, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN2

Big Ten Semi-Final #2, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBS

ACC Semi-Final #2, 3:30/12:30 PM, ESPN

Big XII Semi-Final #2, 4:30/1:30 PM, ESPN2

Pac-10 Championship, 6:00/3:00 PM, CBS

Atlantic-10 Championship, 6:00/3:00 PM, ESPN

MAC Championship, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

Mountain West Championship, 7:00/4:00 PM, Versus

Big East Championship, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

WAC Championship, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2