TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Broadway Brett beats retirement!

I don't believe that a single AFC team wouldn't take Favre. Aside from 3 or 4 teams, what AFC franchise can honestly say they have a better alternative at QB then Brett Favre? Just trade him to Buffalo and end this bullshit charade.

The Colts, Chargers, Patriots, and Pittsburgh can off the top of my head.

You can add Jacksonville as well... That system flourish around Garrard.

I have to say though The Packers are making this worse on themselves by dragging this out... They need to just release him, so they can move on and concentrate on the upcoming football season. The more this drags on, the more of a distraction for the team it's going to be.

They should shoot themselves in the foot for absolutely nothing? Good strategy!

The team's moved on. They've clearly expressed to Brett Favre what his options are. They're not dragging out anything.

I have to say though The Packers are making this worse on themselves by dragging this out... They need to just release him, so they can move on and concentrate on the upcoming football season. The more this drags on, the more of a distraction for the team it's going to be.

They should shoot themselves in the foot for absolutely nothing? Good strategy!

The team's moved on. They've clearly expressed to Brett Favre what his options are. They're not dragging out anything.

It's still going to be a distraction for the team the longer it drags out, because of ESPN and the sports media talking about it every 5 miniutes... Which could affect the season.

The mangement might have moved on, but how about Favre's former teammates that are playing for the Packers right now?

As a Giants fan, I hope Favre ruins the Packers this year. If Brett wants to take out one of the best teams in the conference in a power play I say go for it.

Favre has been very good to the Giants.

Yes he has, and that's why I support his decision to do whatever it takes to get his way.

Guest Vitamin X

Meanwhile, apparently part of the interview from Monday with Fox News alludes to the fact that all this may just be blowing smoke, and that the Vikings may not even welcome the guy if he does get released...

The interview marked Favre's first significant public comments since informing the Packers he wants to be released. The one thing Favre still hasn't said, however, is that he is completely committed to playing in 2008.

In the portion of the interview aired Monday night, Favre conceded that "the bottom line is, I may not play anywhere." He also said, "If I'm going to play, it's going to be 100 percent commitment."

Asked if he is 100 percent committed to playing in the upcoming season, Favre gave a qualified yes: "Where is a different story."

"I very well may not play," Favre said, depending on "the circumstances."

"I've always been a Packer, always will be a Packer," Favre said. "Will I play somewhere else? Remains to be seen."

Meanwhile, don't expect the NFC North rival Minnesota Vikings to welcome Favre if he is released.

Vikings coach Brad Childress has watched as the Packers and Favre appear headed for a split, but the coach of the team regarded as the best place for the disaffected Green Bay quarterback to settle maintains he wants no part of it.

"It's kind of interesting to watch, isn't it?" Childress said Tuesday, referring to the back-and-forth sniping between Favre, who wants to be released, and the Packers, who say they do not plan to oblige that request.

NFL guidelines prohibit Childress from commenting on players under contract with other teams, and the coach said he remains committed to third-year quarterback Tarvaris Jackson going into this season.

Guess Childress doesn't want to deal with the media circus it would cause if Favre were to come to the Vikings, or he still believes in the development of Tavaris Jackson, and bringing in Favre to take his starting job will only derail his development...

Or problay both.

Guest Vitamin X

Not to mention that Favre also seems to have just said he may also not be 100% committed to playing, but would be 100% committed to playing if he played somewhere, which he would do, depending on the circumstances, which may or may not involve him retiring.

Auuuuuguggghhhhhhhh

Guess Childress doesn't want to deal with the media circus it would cause if Favre were to come to the Vikings, or he still believes in the development of Tavaris Jackson, and bringing in Favre to take his starting job will only derail his development...

Or problay both.

Or maybe he'd take Favre in a heartbeat if able to but obviously can't come out and say it publicly. The Vikings would be morons to say no to Favre for Tarvaris Jackson's sake.

Guest The Elements of Style

Yeah, the article clearly mentions the tampering concerns. Reading is a skill.

Guest Vitamin X

I should mention that the foremost reason I posted that was because of Favre's implication from the interview he might not even play this year at all (depending on the circumstances).

I don't think I would put it past Brad Childress to pass up Favre for Tarvaris Jackson, though.

Among Brett Favre supporters: Newt Gringrich. Lolz.

Guest Vitamin X
Yeah, the article clearly mentions the tampering concerns. Reading is a skill.

And it doesn't seem the Vikings care.

The Green Bay Packers have filed a tampering charge against the Minnesota Vikings for communicating with retired quarterback Brett Favre, multiple sources have confirmed. Favre, who is on the reserve-retired list, remains property of the Packers, which would leave the quarterback off limits for conversations with coaches or front-office employees of another team. Contacted Wednesday evening, the NFL is not commenting on the tampering allegation.

The tampering charge was first reported by FoxSports.com.

The Packers contend Favre, who has asked the Packers for his release, has been talking with Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, who became friends with Favre when he was an assistant coach with the Packers.

The Vikings, according to a source, are expected to contend Bevell may have had conversations with Favre as a friend but had no involvement in discussing a job with the Vikings.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league had no comment on the report.

Vikings coach Brad Childress has said in recent days the franchise is content with Tarvaris Jackson as its starting quarterback. What the Packers contend is that Favre and Bevell may have discussed Favre coming to the Vikings.

And the beat goes on....

Favre expected to submit letter of reinstatement to NFL by Friday

By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

During a telephone conversation Thursday with Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson, quarterback Brett Favre conveyed he is planning to return to the team and report to training camp this weekend.

If he follows through on his plans, Favre is expected to fax a letter seeking reinstatement to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell as early as Friday, before the Packers report to camp on Saturday.

However, just because Favre is now planning to return to the Packers, that doesn't mean the saga is over. This is a story that has had so many twists and turns, it is conceivable it could change again.

At any point this summer, Favre still could decide to walk away from the game or Green Bay could decide to trade him. But for now, all indications are that Favre is going back to the Packers with the intention of spending this season with them.

There is plenty of smoothing over to be done, however that process already has kicked off. The conversation between Favre and Thompson was said to be cordial and professional, and the Packers recognize that they are a better team with their iconic quarterback on the roster.

Thompson even said during Thursday's annual shareholders meeting that families have disagreements, but they overcome them. Now the Packers and Favre are trying to do just that.

Guest The Elements of Style

This is a great move for the Packers, but a pretty terrible move for Aaron Rodgers. Go demand your trade, fella. You've earned it. You have a bright future in Kansas City.

Thompson must be some kind of genius with a mind-control device to put all these statements, including this most reason one, into Brett Favre's mouth. That, or you are unbelievably dumb.

Anyway, everything I've read/heard (except for the above blurb) indicates he will be traded rather than start for GB.

from nfl.com: On this day in history

July 25, 1997

The Green Bay Packers re-signed quarterback Brett Favre to a 7-year, $50 million contract. Favre would retire a Packer after the 2007 season

Thompson must be some kind of genius with a mind-control device to put all these statements, including this most reason one, into Brett Favre's mouth. That, or you are unbelievably dumb.

Anyway, everything I've read/heard (except for the above blurb) indicates he will be traded rather than start for GB.

Nah I'm just making fun of Favre. His interview on Fox News was great.

I hope that everything goes crazy for both the Packers and Vikings during camp this year. This way, the distractions can lead to disappointing seasons for both franchises and give the Bears one of those magical 11-5 seasons that is forgotten in February.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah, that news is making pretty quick rounds. I think that's not a terrible idea, since this essentially has become something like a showdown between the two camps at the moment, and the Packers were forced into a corner with the whole reinstatement thing.

I'm seriously starting to wonder what a day in the life of Ted Thompson's work day must be like. There's been absolutely nothing resolved with this Favre situation, and that's been at least couple weeks where it's needed to be done with a sense of urgency, and then there's the whole Ryan Grant fiasco as well. What the fuck is he doing all day, playing Scrabbulous on facebook?