TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyBlaze

Tropic Thunder

There was a movie fromt he guy who did JAckass a few years ago about a regular guy trying to be a ringer in the Special Olympics- does anybody know if that got the boycotts as well?

There was a movie from the guy who did Jackass a few years ago about a regular guy trying to be a ringer in the Special Olympics- does anybody know if that got the boycotts as well?

No, that was made in cooperation with the Special Olympics

Fair enough, but I'll at least say the South Park was funnier.

I think a lot of people have considered doing that it real life, anyway.

I thought this movie was funny.. but I actually laughed harder in Pineapple Express and in Step Brothers. Tropic Thunder had a lot of "funny for a second" monents.. but nothing that had me laughing even into the next scene like the other movies I mentioned did. Definitely didn't meet the expectations that I had for it. =\

I'd say it's equal with Pineapple Express to me, though they're obviously different.

Step Brothers, not as good, but like a lot of Will Ferrell movies, will age well and get funnier after watching it a bunch of times.

Jack Black and Tom Cruise had me in hysterics here, seriously. Ben Stiller was good, not Zoolander great, but good, and the supporting crew was solid, ie Bill Hader and Danny McBride, always good, and I actually like Matthew McConaughey too. Downey and Nick Nolte were more just awesome than funny. And

Steve Coogan's demise

was likely the single funniest thing in the movie.

Nighthawk, you should spoiler tag

Coogan's death.

I thought the film was leaps and bounds ahead of both Step Brothers and Pineapple Express, and is my favourite comedy of 08. Robert Downey and Jack Black were excellent, and I love everything Jay Baruchel.

I hated Zoolander though.

Yeah, in regards to the retard protests, where were these people when There's Something About Mary came out? Tropic Thunder doesn't even make fun of retards themselves....it has a bit of satire on Hollywood actors who play that sort of character in an attempt to get an Oscar.

There's Something About Mary actually IS a movie with a lot of mean spirited jokes about retards and the handicapped in general. In fact I have never liked that movie worth a damn because of how mean it is.

Saw it on Friday and loved it, so fucking funny. The opening trailer with Robert Downey Jr. and Tobey McGuire was hysterial and Robert Downey Jr. was definatley the best character. Tom Cruise was very good as well in his role.

One thing, I wanna clarify: does Speedman still think he's filming a movie once he sets off on his own or is his mind so warped from his co-stars abadoning him that he starts to believe that he's really being held hostage? I know as soon as the director blows up that Lazarus and Co. ain't buying it as a real movie set but I wonder about Speedman.

When I first heard there were people boycotting the movie, I thought it was down to Downey Jr playing an Black guy. When I actually heard it was because they used the word "retard", my instant thought was, "that's just retarded".

Saw it on Friday and loved it, so fucking funny. The opening trailer with Robert Downey Jr. and Tobey McGuire was hysterial and Robert Downey Jr. was definatley the best character. Tom Cruise was very good as well in his role.

One thing, I wanna clarify: does Speedman still think he's filming a movie once he sets off on his own or is his mind so warped from his co-stars abadoning him that he starts to believe that he's really being held hostage? I know as soon as the director blows up that Lazarus and Co. ain't buying it as a real movie set but I wonder about Speedman.

Yes.

When Tugg is getting dumped in the water, he keeps yelling "cut!" and even says "Damien! Cut!" Also, the guy spits on him, then Speedman spits back, and they go back and forth. Speedman says something like, "That was some good stuff." A second viewing should make it pretty clear that he thinks he's still filming.

Yeah, in regards to the retard protests, where were these people when There's Something About Mary came out? Tropic Thunder doesn't even make fun of retards themselves....it has a bit of satire on Hollywood actors who play that sort of character in an attempt to get an Oscar.

Well, there's the whole thing of Hollywood holding special screenings for a group before the movie comes out to make sure it's ok, like that Adam Sandler movie making fun of the fags or something. All it usual means is the group gets some money up front and/or a cut of the profits, should it be a bit.

Kinda disappointed in this flick. The concept was great, but it just fell flat too many times. It's never a good sign when the best part of the movie happens in the first 10 minutes.

5/10

I loved it. I was laughing so hard at all the smallest things like when Downey kicked in the door backwards when they invaded the village... so unnecessary and hilarious.

"I want to bite its hide... I need to wear it's stomach as a unitard."

"Can I tell you that I'm sorry?"

Just little shit like that.

And Downey Jr. was just fantastic.

There's Something About Mary actually IS a movie with a lot of mean spirited jokes about retards and the handicapped in general. In fact I have never liked that movie worth a damn because of how mean it is.

Um, they did protest 'Mary'.

The best part was:

Stiller running back over the bridge with the kid on his back.

Agreed.

RDJR was the best in the movie. He got more laughs out of me for the little things he did over the big things Stiller and Black did.

Full Retard was funny.

Overall I liked it, but didn't love it. Pretty funny, but no one hysterical moment for me

The gravy line got quite the reaction in the audience I was in. I really enjoyed the movie and can't really add anything that hasn't already been said. It was a bit weird seeing Danny McBride and Bill Hader in movies two weeks a in row though, but good stuff.

Did it seem to anyone else that RDJR may have went out of character in a way during certain scenes? He was doing somehting during the campfire scene and then he just smiled and it really seemed like he was trying to hold his own laughter in. He sort of did it during the part where he was hugging the rapper dude. Both times I died laughing...there were so many wtf moments in that movie...I can't wait for a second viewing.

I have to say that this was probably the best paced movie I've ever seen. It jumps right into the action, but the plot never feels rushed. I normally hate when comedies go over 90 min, but it never dragged for a moment. Good preformences all around, but Downey definitly stole the show. Cruise was good, but I think his preformence was Way overhyped. Overall, 8/10.

I watched Pineapple Express last week and Tropic Thunder tonight. Pineapple was quite bland, but Tropic Thunder just blew me away. That was tremendous all the way through, the Cruise/Hader scenes were great, the reactions to the hands, everything Robert Downey Jr did. The first part of the movie caught everyone in my theater off-guard, very cool intro. I loved that movie.

I thought baruchel and brandon jackson did a great job with their roles...never expected anything out of either...

did anyone else see that they released the full length documentary for the rain of madness viral vid today on itunes (Free Download)...i hope more movies follow this example...and go to the hilt when it comes to marketing the film and adding value for fans..