TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Konnan files lawsuit against TNA

PWI:

TNA SERVED WITH LAWSUIT FROM FORMER WRESTLER

by Mike Johnson

PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple TNA sources that former TNA performer Konnan has served the company with a lawsuit pertaining to his departure from the company and their treatment of him as he was dealing with several health issues, including a hip replacement. The company did lend Konnan money for the operation, which led to Konnan learning he needed a kidney transplant. Konnan later underwent the transplant procedure after a fan donated his kidney.

I don't have any further information on the lawsuit beyond the fact that sources confirm they were served recently. There was no additional information via our usual legal sources at this time.

WrestleZone:

I just got off the phone with Konnan and he told me to make the following public:

The lawsuit papers are now officially in the hands of TNA's office regarding racism toward Konnan. In addition to the main issue of him being held back due to racism and discrimination, Konnan also has other topics included in the lawsuit as well.

Promises that were made to Konnan regarding his hip replacement are also a key subject addressed in the lawsuit. The fact that they said they would help him pay for the surgery and didn't, in addition to them not helping Ron Killings with his surgery, yet helped pay for Scott Steiners' recent operation, is also more leverage Konnan plans to bring up.

Several names are mentioned including Jeff Jarrett, Dutch Mantel, Vince Russo, Terry Taylor, and others. WCW's old racial lawsuit has been mentioned as well to support Konnan's argument against Vince Russo and others. Drug usage within the "higher ups" in TNA are also mentioned.

TNA now has thirty days to respond to the suit. Konnan stated that they can settle out of court or of course, go to court in which case he says things will definitely get "messy".

WrestleZone.com will have much more on this in the coming weeks. In addition, we are planning on having a live 5150 with Konnan to discuss the issue further with the man behind the driver seat. We hope to get word from those involved on TNA's side of things, but they may be a little less "open", so don't expect it. But we will definitely do our best.

ProWrestling.net:

Powell’s POV: This lawsuit has been in the works for months. I know that Konnan was actually hoping the legal papers would be served to TNA officials on Christmas Eve, but his lawyer determined the case wasn’t ready yet. Konnan claims to have witnessed drug use by TNA office members and has stated that he has a long list of witnesses who can verify his racial discrimination allegations.

I have not read the actual lawsuit, but I know at one time that Jeff Jarrett was a primary target of many of the allegations. Konnan had a much better relationship with Vince Russo than he did with Dutch Mantel over the years and was at one time an advocate for Russo’s creative work, but both men are named in the lawsuit.

Konnan is represented by Cary Ichter, the same attorney that represented several wrestlers in a discrimination case against Turner Broadcasting and WCW. Ichter also represents Michael Benoit, who is said to be considering the possibility of filing a lawsuit against WWE over his son Chris Benoit's suicide.

TNA vice president Jeff Jarrett, head of TNA talent relations Terry Taylor, and creative team members Vince Russo and Dutch Mantel are among the office workers named in the racial discrimination lawsuit against TNA that was filed recently by Konnan (a/k/a Charles Ashenoff).

A source who has read the lawsuit claims that Konnan is seeking $7 million. Among the allegations included are drug use by at least one office worker, as well as racial discrimination—including the use of racial slurs by at least two members of the office staff. The lawsuit also includes a claim that Konnan received prescription drugs from at least two office workers.

The TNA media relations department did not respond to a request for comment before this story was published.

Powell’s POV: These are some heavyweight allegations and it’s important to remember they are just that at this point. As I understand it, Taylor and Russo are mentioned at least in part because they were the targets of a discrimination lawsuit that was filed against Turner Broadcasting and WCW. That case was handled by Cary Ichter, the attorney representing Konnan.

Regardless of the validity of the claims, this could become a public relations disaster for TNA, as Konnan is telling friends that he has contacted three different Latino activist groups regarding this dispute. I’ll have a lot more to say about the lawsuit in the Dot Net Podcast later today.

This could get very messy for TNA.

Be even more awesome if LAX got a huge push out of this, and/or certain members of the office were released due to it and replaced by people who know how to book shows without rushing forward 100 mph.

I'm sure the Panda legal team is going to tear them apart.

Don't forget TNA is backed by a legit major corporation.

So was WCW. They didn't win. They settled, which is what TNA will probably wind up doing.

TNA may produce bad wrestling, but is there any universe where it's a good thing for them to go under?

I guess this was directed at me. No TNA shouldn't go out of business, but that's what happens to bad shows. If they can't have logical booking, cosistantly good wrestling, and produce money. They'll go out of business. It might not be good for a few wrestlers, but that's TNA's fault for being a bad wrestling company. There is no reason for TNA to put on such a shitty product, with the money, the roster, and the tv slot they have. There is no excuse for the company to be as shitty as it is.

I thought the thread title was "Korea files lawsuit against TNA" and I was really confused by that news.

Anyway, this will be a very interesting story to follow no mater who comes out on top.

One would guess they will settle out of court - the majority of the lawsuit sounds a little frivalous to me, regarding racial discrimination, etc. I think what probably went down is that Konnan was given a loan on the surgery, agreed upon ahead of time, and then when Steiner got hurt and TNA paid for that (which is weird they did since it didn't happen in their ring, but given the immediate nature of that surgery, maybe felt on the spot with it?) he felt it wasn't fair (which, in fact, it isn't). The whole racism thing, though....hard to say, although Jarrett and Mantel could still very well hold a "southern boy" attitude in a sense regarding ethnic athletes....shit, look at how Monte Brown was treated, as perhaps another example of a guy being held down for whatever reasons.

Whatever the case, I don't expect the product to change because of this, but if this means LAX and Booker T get more of a push, I guess that's ok by me.

Brown was never given the strap but he was pushed hard on TV during his entire tenure.

Killings could have an argument since he was dicked around so much...but they did make him a 2 time World Champion...so that'd be a hard sell too.

Half their titles right now are held by minorities...and the top contenders to the other 2 are non-white as well.

The only thing Konnan really has is that they helped Steiner pay for his surgery...and not him.

It's a fair point...and something TNA will have to deal with.

How...exactly Konnan feels he was held back is a mystery to me. He could barely work...and they made him a tag champion. When he couldn't work...they made him the manager of the tag champions. He was on my TV every week...collecting a paycheck even though his in ring days appeared over. I don't see how he's going to sell that as being discriminated against.

Brown was never given the strap but he was pushed hard on TV during his entire tenure.

Killings could have an argument since he was dicked around so much...but they did make him a 2 time World Champion...so that'd be a hard sell too.

Half their titles right now are held by minorities...and the top contenders to the other 2 are non-white as well.

The only thing Konnan really has is that they helped Steiner pay for his surgery...and not him.

It's a fair point...and something TNA will have to deal with.

How...exactly Konnan feels he was held back is a mystery to me. He could barely work...and they made him a tag champion. When he couldn't work...they made him the manager of the tag champions. He was on my TV every week...collecting a paycheck even though his in ring days appeared over. I don't see how he's going to sell that as being discriminated against.

Yeah, when he managed LAX, they were getting a really strong push, and back before, he really wasn't treated horribly at all. I'm sure it doesn't help his perception when Killings is likely down in AAA alot working side by side with Konnan, either. He definately was given wishy washy treatment all through his tenure, but still was given two (short) world title runs and a final spotlight (at least intended) with Pacman Jones (which blew up in the company's face, but that was unexpected to say the least).

Which, regarding that (AAA) - it's too bad there has to be bad blood with Konnan and TNA, as I would love to see talent exchanges more within TNA and AAA. There are alot of guys down there right now who are lighting it up, and bringing in someone like Faby Apache to the knockouts division would be awesome.

I just mentioned Brown because, more than anyone, I thought he was held down more than Killings or Konnan, way more. But whether that was because of "racial discrimination" is completely up to interpretation. Sure, he was pushed hard on TV here and there, but they had a chance to run with him when he was really hot, and they dropped the ball on that bigtime. Those two notable matches he had with Jarrett (Impact and Final Resolution, I think) were just begging for a different finish than what we got. And then following that, they turned him heel, joining up with Jarrett even, and nothing was followed upon after that.

Oh you don't get me started on that Brown/JJ Impact match.

My God was that ever a disaster. When Brown no sold that guitar...PERFECTION. Brown was so hot at that point. And JJ retained so that he could NOT defend the title that Sunday in a 6 man with Hall and Nash.

Of course the plan was for JJ to headline against a washed up Savage...so Brown was just a victim of the circumstance that time.

Side note...Sting stole his guitar no sell at BFG and finally beat JJ. I popped...but Brown's was better. HE SNIFFED THE ROPES!!!! Damnit. Damnit

Not to get totally sidetracked here, but one has to wonder if TNA would ever bring Brown back. He has just been MIA completely from wrestling since WWE let him go.

He had some kind of family situation didn't he? I don't know what happened to him...but I got the impression he was kinda done with wrestling.

I remember that there was lots of heat between him and management when he left (he was working without a contract at the end IIRC)...to the point where he walked out when he found out he was jobbing on a ppv 3 way with Rhino and Joe...but he came back, worked it...and arguably put in his best performace to boot.

That match kicked all kinds of ass.

I think they'd take him back though. He wasn't a problem when he had a contract. And Jarrett obviously liked him enough to keep him around the top. He was Christian's first feud wasn't he? Or was that after he won the title? My mind is jumbled.

He had some kind of family situation didn't he? I don't know what happened to him...but I got the impression he was kinda done with wrestling.

I remember that there was lots of heat between him and management when he left (he was working without a contract at the end IIRC)...to the point where he walked out when he found out he was jobbing on a ppv 3 way with Rhino and Joe...but he came back, worked it...and arguably put in his best performace to boot.

I think they'd take him back though. He wasn't a problem when he had a contract. And Jarrett obviously liked him enough to keep him around the top. He was Christian's first feud wasn't he? Or was that after he won the title? My mind is jumbled.

I think so. Cage's first PPV was beating Brown for the #1 contendership, then teamed with Sting against Brown and JJ.

As for Monty, I would think if he returned to wrestling, he'd go back to WWE before TNA. Along with the money aspect, I seem to remember reading that he left on good terms and would be welcomed back at any time if he decided to return.

I'd say Killings has more of a racial suit than anybody else in TNA, realistically. There was never a point where he couldn't have been pushed, and as his initial heel run to the NWA World title proved: the fans WILL get behind him as a believable champion. Hell, remember the heat that the first Killings/Jarrett match had and it was just a generic brawl? Fuck...even during Mantel's first reign of terror, when Killings got the schoolboy on AJ Styles (who was one of the only OVER guys on the roster) to win the NWA title again, people were popping. People popped for NOTHING that didn't involve Sabin or Styles at the time.

Then...he loses the title in the first King of the Mountain, and never even gets another shot at it, or even the chance to be pushed to the top. I'd say he could throw in for a discrimination suit, considering he was a decent enough worker with a lot of charisma that the fans liked but still wasn't pushed beyond a horrible gimmick tag team.

I agree that he'd have a better case...but 2 things would hurt him if it was his lawsuit.

1. Regardless of length of reigns...it's hard to claim being held down when they put you on top. I'm the biggest Truth fan out there...and I wish he wouldn't have been shoved down the card and off the shows...the man had more charisma than anyone on the roster for the first few years TNA existed. But they gave him a spot (twice) that most people that work for the company will never get to. Ironically...the X division guys are more discriminated against than the minorites. Guys like Sabin and Daniels who have been real good hands for the company for an awful long time...never even get in contention for the top. Look what happened to Kaz after his awesome momentum with Christian and Angle.

2. He returned to the company. After leaving TNA he came back to work the PacMan angle. Which was his choice to return. That alone would make me toss his claim out if he made one.

I know it's odd to think that much on a lawsuit that DOESN'T exist...but I pretty much think Konnan's is garbage and would rather discuss a more interesting case.

Wonder if he's meant to feud with Cena eventually. Perhaps to give Cena the edge he needs. Then again, not likely considering WWE's mindset.

edit: But this is the TNA folder, so nevermind. I agree with bps that the lawsuit by Konnan is garbage.

I think so. Cage's first PPV was beating Brown for the #1 contendership, then teamed with Sting against Brown and JJ.

As for Monty, I would think if he returned to wrestling, he'd go back to WWE before TNA. Along with the money aspect, I seem to remember reading that he left on good terms and would be welcomed back at any time if he decided to return.

Hard to say. TNA would have the advantage being close to his gym and family with less time working on the road. Wrestling always seemed like it was a hobby to Monty, not so much a career option. I don't know if that would keep working for the WWE.

I was a little suprised that he went to the E for that very reason.

IIRC TNA had wanted him to work some indy shows so that he could get more ring time and improve...and he wasn't all about that idea. With WWE he'd have to travel a lot more.

He was a perfect fit for TNA at the time he was there because they lacked any big name talent and he stood out. If he returned for another run I couldn't see him getting to the top with Angle, Christian, Sting, Joe and Booker all firmly planted now. It was WIDE open before with only JJ and AJ circling the top of the card.

If TNA had another midcard title instead of the X division belt, I could see having him around. The way things are now, he'd be just another character competing for screen time.

Guest ForumPro

See, here's the thing of it, though. It's not really as simple as you make it out to be, because really, there's more to it than you're explaining. Let's go into further detail on this. Why is it really perfect?