TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheech Tremendous

The 2008 MLB Predictions Thread

There's being a homer and then there is totally irrational. Marvin falls in the latter category.

Wouldn't be easier to accept the rebuilding project for what it is and watch some of the new talent blossom instead of deluding yourself into thinking that you are going to win games this year and compete in the near future?

The team fell apart last year and didn't lose 100 games..theres more talent on the team now and a better bullpen that was absolutely horrendous. Theres no way they'll lose 100 games and they'll finish in 4th place again. Hardly irrational thinking or being a deluded homer.

Bedard and Tejada are gone. Chris Ray is still hurt. Brian Robers is front and center on the trading block. What talent?

AL East

y-Boston

NY Yankees

Toronto

Tampa Bay

TEAM LOGO XX-XX

Boston shouldn't have any problem taking the division. Toronto has a better pitching staff but the Yankees offense is so good that they should almost be able to over power most teams. Tampa Bay should finish higher than TEAM LOGO XX-XX.

AL Central

y-Detroit

x-Cleveland

Chicago White Sox

Kansas City

Minnesota

Detroit should steam roll. Cleveland will put up a good fight but they still need some improvements to they're still really young and need something better than Borowski closin games for them. Minnesota lost Torri Hunter and Santana. That makes them slightly worse than Chicago and Kansas City. Chicago does still have a pretty potent offense and that should bail out the awful pitching staff for a few games.

AL West

y-LA Angels

Seattle

Oakland

Texas

Angels improved defensively and offensively by adding Hunter. They have a great amount of depth in that lineup also. Seattle improved their team by adding another top ace in Bedard. If they can get a few better bats in that lineup I think they're good enough to take the Wild Card from Cleveland but until they add another bat their offense isn't good enough. Oakland and Texas are going to once again battle it out for last place in the AL West.

NL East

y-NY Mets

Atlanta

Philadelphia

Washington

Florida

A lot of people are picking Atlanta to win the East. I don't see it. The Mets pitching staff has three aces. Atlanta has a good staff but as long as Pedro remains healthy the Mets staff is better. Philadelphia is still a good team but not good enough to get past either of the Mets or the Braves. Florida is terrible and Washington should be a little bit better.

NL Central

y-Chicago Cubs

Milwaukee

Cincinnati

St. Louis

Houston

Pittsburgh

Chicago should steam roll the central. Milwaukee will keep it close but they don’t have the pitching to get it done in the long run. Eric Gagne? Give me a break. St. Louis has a few nice players but Pujols is probably gonna get shut down around early July.

NL West

y-Colorado

x-Arizona

LA Dodgers

San Diego

San Francisco

Colorado should be a little bit better than Arizona. Arizona has a good young team but most of its batters are still very raw. Dodgers have a few more weapons than San Diego does.

Guest Bullshiterica

Krankor, you're a fellow Cubs fan, right? We'll have to agonize over a bad Jason Marquis start soon, I bet.

Hey Marvin, stop being so delusional. Also, if you're going to post twenty times about an Orioles game, I'm putting you in the gulag for Monday. There will be a thread for Oriole talk there.

Yeah, I try watching every game I can. Marquis is a nightmare. Some games he is spot on and only gives up one run. Then other games he looks like someone throwing batting practice. It's not even any logical trends either. He can shut down a quality offense like Milwaukee or Colorado and then give up 6 runs the next start to the Reds or the Pirates.

I'm pretty concerned about Rich Hill also. Hill can get out of jams easier because of his strikeout ability but he's just as night and day as Marquis. One game great, next you want him pulled instantly.

Hopefully Lou will pull guys sooner, when they clearly aren't getting anyone out and use Lieber or Marshall as security blanket for long inning relief.

Tampa Bay vs. Baltimore... There isn't anything to discuss.

Guest Bigelow34

AL East:

Yankees

Red Sox

Blue Jays

Rays

Orioles

AL Central:

Tigers

Indians

White Sox

Twins

Royals

AL West:

Mariners

Angels

A's

Rangers

AL Wild Card: Red Sox

NL East:

Mets

Phillies

Braves

Marlins

Nationals

NL Central:

Cubs

Brewers

Reds

Astros

Cardinals

Pirates

NL West:

Diamondbacks

Padres

Rockies

Dodgers

Giants

NL Wild Card: Phillies

POSTSEASON RESULTS

AL Wild Card Round: Yankees over Mariners in 4; Tigers over Red Sox in 5

ALCS: Yankees over Tigers in 7

NL Wild Card Round: Mets over Diamondbacks in 5; Cubs over Phillies in 4

NLCS: Cubs over Mets in 6

World Series: Yankees over Cubs in 6

Guest tonyjaymzretro
Skip Bayless has the Cardinals winning the NL Central.

I don't need to add anything to that.

you should never trust anyone named Skip Bayless..I mean....that doesn't even sound like a real name...

AL East

Red Sox

Blue Jays

Yankees

Rays

O's

I have a feeling the Red Sox will easily run away with the division, Tampa Bay will be improved but not as much as everyone thinks, and the Yankees/Blue Jays will have compatibly average years...I gave the nod to the Jays because the coin came up heads...

Al Central

Tigers

Indians

White Sox

Twins

Royals

No suprises here

AL West

Angels

Mariners-X

A's

Rangers

The Angels are just better with the bat, but the Mariners will have a good to great season, and become the wild card

NL East

Mets

Phillies-X

Braves

Nationals

Marlins

I have a feeling the top 3 in this division will be up in the air until early august, when the Mets clinch it with superior pitching.

NL Central

Brewers

Cubs

Reds

Astros

Cardinals

Pirates

I just can't put faith in the cubs...

NL west

D-Backs

Rockies

Padres

Dodgers

Giants

The pitching of Arizona will be unstoppable...until the Playoffs

World Series: Mets vs. Red Sox

The Cardinals certainly have the hitting to compete and the pitching is not as awful as some might think. I've got them sitting around 4th or 5th in that division, but things could swing their way.

In the middle of the order they have Pujols, Ankiel, Glaus and Duncan. Those guys could easily contribute 30 homers each. The rest of the order is filled with marginal hitters with bad OBP, but as long as the middle of the order is hot it's enough. Granted, Pujols and Glaus have to stay healthy and the others have to keep mashing.

The pitching is questionable, but in the right scenario Carpenter and Clement make mid-season comebacks, Wainwright keeps up his good act and Reyes taps into his vast potential. This is considerably less likely than the hitting being good, but never underestimate this team's knack for getting good pitching performances out of marginal talent.

Perfect world and all that, but they could compete. They certainly aren't out of the picture on Opening Day.

Guest Vitamin X

I think it wouldn't only have to be that, but it would have to take Chicago and Milwaukee making serious dives and having injury problems as well for that to happen, which is why I'm not seeing the 2008 NL Central Champion Cardinals.

I think it wouldn't only have to be that, but it would have to take Chicago and Milwaukee making serious dives and having injury problems as well for that to happen, which is why I'm not seeing the 2008 NL Central Champion Cardinals.

The Cubs won the division with 85 wins. The Cardinals only finished seven back, that's not a lot of ground to make up. And they had a season where their third baseman missed 50 games, their shortstop missed 45 games, their catcher missed 51 games, their center fielder missed 45 games, etc. A bit of luck and things can look awfully different in a hurry.

I can't see Rick Ankiel hitting 30 jacks, either.

Ankiel hit 43 across two levels last year. He might post a .315 OBP to go with it, but he can certainly hit 30 home runs in a full season.

Pujols would have to be productive for the whole season, and I just don't see that happening. That right there just about dooms the Cardinals.

The elbow injury is being played up as breaking news, but it has been bothering him for a couple years and I know even the Tommy John eventuality was known late last season. It will knock him out of action eventually, but until it happens Pujols can still play every day at a Hall of Fame level.

The Cubs won the division with 85 wins.

That's the key right there. It is the weakest division in baseball and as a result I could see any team other than the Pirates potentially winning it.

I won't declare victory for the Cubs already, since we all remember what happened the last time they were the fashionable division pick (2004). But I can't see that shitty rotation the Cards are going to be pushing out there being enough to get the job done. I'm tempted to say I'll eat a hat if they finish within five games of first.

Guest Vitamin X

Barring any setbacks, Chris Carpenter will be back by the summer though, and if he's in good enough shape to pitch, that will help them a lot. It really depends on how healthy the team goes and stays, especially its main stars.

Guest Bullshiterica

Speaking of, Prior's on the 60-day DL retroactive to the 21st, so there's one third of the season you already won't get out of his sorry ass.

Speaking of, Prior's on the 60-day DL retroactive to the 21st, so there's one third of the season you already won't get out of his sorry ass.

I think it was well known that Prior wouldn't be ready until June when the Padres signed him, so this isn't a surprise. I might have addressed this before, but why the animosity? Prior may be fragile, but that's not a flaw of character.

Looking at the NL Central, it seems like pitching moreso than usual will dictate the division. The Cardinals, Astros and Brewers all have potential issues with their pitching depth. The Cubs have the best frontline talent by far. The Reds have the deepest rotation, with a few options beyond the starting five. One thing forgotten about the Cards is that they have Mark Mulder and Matt Clement yet, who might come back and contribute later.

Guest Bullshiterica

Hey, we were promised textbook mechanics, among other things, and he does have a pretty crappy attitude compared to Kerry Wood, who seemed to want nothing more than to positively contribute. Prior didn't really seem to care one way or the other.

I really wish I could type that the Astros will win the NL Central and make a run in the playoffs, maybe fluke our way into the Series, but honestly? It's the fucking Houston Astros. I'm fully waiting for Kaz to just prove to be a bust, Tejada to get wrapped up in some steroid scandal and for Roy O's back to break from carrying the staff for so long.

I twinge everytime I see people put us near the basement of the division, but I gotta say.. either that or lumped in the middle with the rest of the mediocrity.

Unless I'm mistaken, things went sour with Prior when the media started suggesting perhaps part of his problem was a poor mental makeup. This, of course, was before they decided to clean out Prior's shoulder, so whatever.

My beef with Prior isn't so much the untapped potential. It's not his fault the media built him up as one of the key components to a Cubs rotation that was supposed to dominate baseball for years to come. My issue with him is that he didn't seem willing to bend when it came to contract negotiations. I think after four years of injury issues, he owed it to the Cubs to take an incentive-laced deal of sorts like Wood did.

Good time to bump this thread.

* Four posters predicted three of the division winners, including myself, 909, Vitamin X and RedBaron. Most posters with correct predictions had some combination of the Angels, Dodgers and Cubs. VX was the only poster to correctly predict that the Phillies would win the NL East. No one picked Tampa Bay. No one picked either the Twins or the White Sox.

* Tampa Bay won 97 games, far surpassing anyone's expectations.

* Baltimore finished last but did not lose 100 games.

* On that note, Marvin never did post the rest of his predictions.

* Not only did the Marlins not finish last, they finished above .500.

* Albert Pujols was indeed healthy and productive all season.

* The Giants too were not as bad as expected. In fact, some young players took big steps forward, especially Pablo Sandoval.